WTF happened to Metroid ?!?!

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zideeq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 zideeq
Member since 2003 • 113 Posts

I baffed!

I played Metroid Prime 1 on GC, it was slow but immersive and you really felt like you were lost sometimes...

Skip 2 and 3 (have yet to play them :D)

Just got a copy of Metroid Other M from my mates shop and WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL IS THIS!?!?

If I wanted to play Hayabusa in Ninja Gaiden I would've hooked up my microwa...I mean my Xbox to my TV and broke some XXL Xbox pads....

Seriously, OK so I should've watched the trailers or something before getting it, this is like a spin off (in terms of how it plays) to the Metroid series, I can't play this, it's like RE5 style shooting and Ninja Gaiden style enemies! For me this doesn't work......

I was confused as soon as the game told me to remove the nunchuk!!!

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Have you played beyond the first like ten minutes? :P

zideeq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zideeq

Nah, because I was shooting around a VR room at some stupid enemies like Ninja Gaiden, please tell me I didn't play it long enough

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Um, that means you played the game for about twenty seconds before stopping. That's the equivalent of opening a book, reading the word "the", and deciding it's bad.

You tell me.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

Please play the game for about 5 hours until speaking of it again. Spinoff? You haven't played any 2D Metroids have you? Other M is like a more actiony 3D version of those. And RE5? What the hell are you talking about?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Why do people insist on hating on Team Ninja? If you don't like something, blame Nintendo, this is their game, their IP, they approved everything.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

And RE5? What the hell are you talking about?

Litchie

I think he's referring to how you can't move around when you shoot in the first person mode.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
wow i am shocked this troll topic hasn't been locked
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
They just have ruined the Metroid franchise..........why they have done this....????
Warship_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Warship_19
Member since 2010 • 1565 Posts

Seriously, OK so I should've watched the trailers or something before getting it, this is like a spin off (in terms of how it plays) to the Metroid series, I can't play this, it's like RE5 style shooting and Ninja Gaiden style enemies! For me this doesn't work......

zideeq

I don't see how RE5 shooting comes close to metroid.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

I baffed!

I played Metroid Prime 1 on GC, it was slow but immersive and you really felt like you were lost sometimes...

Just got a copy of Metroid Other M from my mates shop and WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL IS THIS!?!?

If I wanted to play Hayabusa in Ninja Gaiden I would've hooked up my microwa...I mean my Xbox to my TV and broke some XXL Xbox pads....

zideeq
I don't think you can really comment on the series being ruined if you have only played 1 game in it before. You should at least try one of the 2D ones before you say that Other M is so different. I agree though that they should have allowed use of the nunchuck.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Metroid, Metroid II, super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion are all 2D Metroid games and they are all made by Intelligent systems. Retro made The Metroid Prime trilogy which is a spin off series based on the same franchise, but with different gameplay mechanics. Metroid Other M is made by Team ninja and Intelligent Systems and is a return to the original type of gammeplay with some changes.

IMO Metroid Other M is a love letter to the original fans of Metroid. It's wins with huge amounts of fanservice (not the sexual kind)

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

The prime series while awesome was not how metroid started. Metroid other M is a throwback to the old school 2D metroids. You don't seem to be familiar with the series enough to judge.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

I baffed!

zideeq

I honestly think your ignorance is the source of your confusion. Next time you should actually try playing a game before you make uninformed opinions.

Next

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

This is typical for people who don't know the metroid universe outside of the prime series. If you ask me super metroid, metroid fuzion and other pre prime series games are the best in the series. Metroid other M is a worthy entry and better than prime 2 & 3. You obviously made a poor decision in buying the game which was hindered by your own ignorance and knowledge of Metroid. You also should have researched Other M before buying it and you should have spent more than 10 minutes playing the game before making judgement

kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 kinger256
Member since 2005 • 1770 Posts
Gameplay wise, I feel it combines the best of both worlds(Super Metroid and Prime). As other people said, keep playing it. In it's core gameplay it's still a metroid game.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

This is....the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Play the game. You admitted you didn'tthen compared it to a game it's nothing like because the developer made that same game. That's the logic of down syndrome sloth.....that's dead.

The only thing wrong with your copy of Metroid is that it's in the hands of bad gamer. Play it. And love it.

zideeq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zideeq

For all those people complaining about me not playing the 2D metroids, I have played them, they were OK and yes I believe they're overrated, but that's besides the point, you can't say to me to play the older ones before I start hating on the new one.....

that's like me comparing Mario 1 to Mario Galaxy, it was a different time with different gameplay.

Metroid Other M (about 4 hours in) so far feels as if I'm in 2003 or something, the controls need updating.

TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts

That's the logic of down syndrome sloth.....that's dead.

Darth-Samus

I'm tempted to sig this.:lol:

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

For all those people complaining about me not playing the 2D metroids, I have played them, they were OK and yes I believe they're overrated, but that's besides the point, you can't say to me to play the older ones before I start hating on the new one.....

zideeq

What?

MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

zideeq

Comparing this game to Metroid Prime is still nonsense. Other M plays just fine, it's like the GBA Metroids in semi 3D and those were REAL Metroid games and in fact, the Prime Trilogy is the spin-off of the Metroid series (great nonetheless).

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ktseymour
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

wow i am shocked this troll topic hasn't been lockedelbert_b_23

How Is someones opinion Trolling? That Is how the OP feels and I think they are obligated to their opinion, some people just judge to quicky that's all.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Wait.. I thought Metroid was a guy.

What is this? I don't even...

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

Zophar87
No, Metroid's a robot, duh.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

lol, yeah, I hear the game is a lot more actiony then even the old 2D metroid games. So playing it just after Metroid Prime may seem strange. I love both 2D and 3D metroids. I also like Team Ninja games, so i can't wait to play this.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

72 posts.. welcome to gamestop:)

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]wow i am shocked this troll topic hasn't been lockedktseymour

How Is someones opinion Trolling? That Is how the OP feels and I think they are obligated to their opinion, some people just judge to quicky that's all.

theres a difference from a opinion and someone spreading lies to get people upset and fight, i know i been warned for more smaller things
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
So you've only played Prime? You don't know much about Metroid anyway then. And you only played the tutorial? How can you judge Other M just based off the tutorial?
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

zideeq

Too bad for you i guess, personally, i think is a great game, oh, and this is coming from someone who have actually played (and loved) other Metroid games besides Prime (i have only missed Hunters and Return of Samus)

that's like me comparing Mario 1 to Mario Galaxy, it was a different time with different gameplay.

zideeq

And yet you are comparing Prime with Other M :roll:

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

That's the logic of down syndrome sloth.....that's dead.

TheSmitto

I'm tempted to sig this.:lol:

Dude go for it! I'd be honored ;)

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I just completed it. Took about 10 hours. Good game overall, maybe a bit too linear for a Metroid game though. Also, I found the story to be ok, I don't see what people were complaining about TBH, a lot of twists, good boss battles in between to mix things up.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#37 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Metroid Other M mixs both world of the 2D games and ones from the Prime games.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
Pathetic! comparing Metroid other M with Ninja Gaiden. Have you played Ninja Gaident 1 and 2? PLAY BEFORE TALKING.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Metroid, Metroid II, super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion are all 2D Metroid games and they are all made by Intelligent systems. Retro made The Metroid Prime trilogy which is a spin off series based on the same franchise, but with different gameplay mechanics. Metroid Other M is made by Team ninja and Intelligent Systems and is a return to the original type of gammeplay with some changes.

IMO Metroid Other M is a love letter to the original fans of Metroid. It's wins with huge amounts of fanservice (not the sexual kind)

Pikminmaniac

Actually only Super Metroid was made by Intelligent Systems or else Metroid II: Return of Samus. All the rest were from Nintendo R&D 1.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

72 posts.. welcome to gamestop:)

KBFloYd
LOL. It is GAMESPOT NOT GAMESTOP.
Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
It's a great game in my opinion. I'm sorry you don't like it. You should have watched the trailers and read up on it first before buying the game. If you don't like it return it and buy Trilogy if you like the first Metroid Prime.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Um, that means you played the game for about twenty seconds before stopping. That's the equivalent of opening a book, reading the word "the", and deciding it's bad.

You tell me.

GabuEx

That line made my day.

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
I haven't played Other M, but its definitely the first Metroid game that involves physical combat and that's more of how I imagine Samus being able to fight. In the old games, Samus didn't have physical combat abilities simply because of game limitations, and the Prime series didn't have it because of the first person perspective. While I enjoyed the Prime series, the games really failed to show Samus as a true warrior.
kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kinger256
I haven't played Other M, but its definitely the first Metroid game that involves physical combat and that's more of how I imagine Samus being able to fight. In the old games, Samus didn't have physical combat abilities simply because of game limitations, and the Prime series didn't have it because of the first person perspective. While I enjoyed the Prime series, the games really failed to show Samus as a true warrior.TheLordMagnus
Why the hell would anyone use physical attacks when you have perfectly good ranged ones? Do you see US marines running around with bayonets attached to their guns? And if by chance they did, it would be a last resort weapon, not a primary one.
TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize U.S. Marines wore cyber suits that took incredible amounts of damage and augmented their strength to super human levels. Or the fact that this is a video game and you compared it to real life combat. Fighting at range is not always an option for Samus...especially in close corridors. Its pretty stupid to think her enemies are going to stay at arm's length all the time where she can just wail on them with range weapons.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I prefer to hate on team ninja over nintendo because nintendo is better ;) I haven't played it yet but it sounds odd and interesting.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Ah young kiddies who only knows of Prime series...this is Metroid back to its roots with enhancements. ;) Its a great game..loving this one more than Prime series - cause I don't get motion sickness. :P

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#48 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I have played Super Metroid and Prime and with it being a mix of both I can tell you the controls are awkward and the way you heal and refill is annoying as anything.

kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kinger256

Wow, I didn't realize U.S. Marines wore cyber suits that took incredible amounts of damage and augmented their strength to super human levels.TheLordMagnus

I don't believe samus's suit gives her super strength. Also, how should having armor differnitate your motive to using range weapons or using melee weapons?

Or the fact that this is a video game and you compared it to real life combat.TheLordMagnus

Our definition of "True Warrior differs"

You think it's the hollywood style action hero, who would finish off his/her enemies in a dramatic and flashy style.

I think it's a warrior who effectivley defeat enemies using cunning tactics and strategies regardless of how they do it.

Fighting at range is not always an option for Samus...especially in close corridors. Its pretty stupid to think her enemies are going to stay at arm's length all the time where she can just wail on them with range weapons.TheLordMagnus

It worked for her in the previous metroid games.

Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts
[QUOTE="Zophar87"]