Would you appreciate a new Retro Pokemon game?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slowpokebro
Member since 2012 • 572 Posts
Kinda like the recent Megaman remake where they used old school graphics for a new game. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbpUrLJXHQ6LRWYthaJ595903518aaa.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPHk8ElffBic5Bt5Y69jfgfs_15878_2_26.jpg&w=702&h=565&ei=EKzBT9images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJc4umtSEgnxUnQL3DdZ5hqdefault.jpg I would love a new game in the old school style! Maybe throw in some new Pokemon too. Give it some good, catchy, mind warping music and I'd buy it for $50. Take a trip with me: Team Rocket Hideout MusicSilph Co.Champion BattleGym Leader Battle That was fun. I would eat up an old school Pokemon game in a second. How about you?
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#2 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
If it's plain that they made it 'retro' just so that they wouldn't have to put so much effort into it and get fans to buy it out of sheer nostalgia, I wouldn't appreciate it. If they made the 'retro' as a 'return to the beginnings' kind of game with cool stuff in it, then I'd appreciate it.
slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 slowpokebro
If it's plain that they made it 'retro' just so that they wouldn't have to put so much effort into it and get fans to buy it out of sheer nostalgia, I wouldn't appreciate it. If they made the 'retro' as a 'return to the beginnings' kind of game with cool stuff in it, then I'd appreciate it.Spinnerweb
So what you're reallysaying is you would buy it either way. :P
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#4 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]If it's plain that they made it 'retro' just so that they wouldn't have to put so much effort into it and get fans to buy it out of sheer nostalgia, I wouldn't appreciate it. If they made the 'retro' as a 'return to the beginnings' kind of game with cool stuff in it, then I'd appreciate it.slowpokebro
So what you're reallysaying is you would buy it either way. :P

Being a desperate Pokemon fan has its disadvantages :P
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I love the classic pokemon sprites...

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 slowpokebro

I love the classic pokemon sprites...

Minishdriveby
Blastoise looks like a BOSS! He definitely looks the best out of the 3 final forms.
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

I would buy it, out of nostalgia. :cool:

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I would pay $10 for an 8-bit Gen V. Especially after hearing this remix.
Yes, only $10.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Eh, not really. Unlike Megaman there isn't as much of a difference between the new and the old sprites. The exception being the color palette and style, both of which have improved over the years. Besides, it's not like Pokemon abandoned the classic gameplay that made it good and needed to reboot the franchise.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

i love retro styled games and I'd be excited to see what Gamefreak could do with such a project. $15 dollars is about as much as I would want to pay and it would have to be a downloadable title.

I would rather have 3D Classics Pokemon Blue though. I'd like to see it fix the inventory management issues and add online play. :)

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

i love retro styled games and I'd be excited to see what Gamefreak could do with such a project. $15 dollars is about as much as I would want to pay and it would have to be a downloadable title.

I would rather have 3D Classics Pokemon Blue though. I'd like to see it fix the inventory management issues and add online play. :)

Pixel-Perfect
Only 20 items on the bag FTW!! :P
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

Eh, not really. Unlike Megaman there isn't as much of a difference between the new and the old sprites. The exception being the color palette and style, both of which have improved over the years. Besides, it's not like Pokemon abandoned the classic gameplay that made it good and needed to reboot the franchise.

metroidfood

I feel the same way.

The series would have to EVOLVE more (see what I did thar) before I could even think about buying a "retro version", but a console game made by Retro Studios would probably be a DAY 1 buy for me. :P

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

metroidfood

This

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

Hmmm...no I wouldn't. I'm waiting for it to get into 3D and cell-shaded graphics, but that's just what I want.

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
No.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

I'd get it,but only if gameplay was like in modern games in the series.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

GreekGameManiac

I agree also maybe with those graphics on the 3DS they can probably include every single region.

8Bit graphics and sound with modern gameplay.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#18 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Appreciate? Sure. Want GameFreak to put time and assets into? Hell no. I'm not implying this about you TC, but I swear, out of any series, Pokemon fans seem to want it to move several steps backwards instead of making progress.
TairuSzoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 TairuSzoola
Member since 2012 • 83 Posts

Would it be able to trade with current gen Pokemon games? lol ;)

Thaymez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Thaymez
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts

I would always like to see a new pokemon game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
pointless? megaman did it because the gameplay of the old megaman games differs from the new ones (even the 16-bit ones). pokemon would only do it for visual flair, and there's no flair in those graphics, and those cry sound effects are obnoxious.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I would rather they just release the old Pokemon games on the eShop VC. I'm not really sure if there's any way they could make it worth the money by making new Pokemon adventures in retro graphics because, as others have said, the core gameplay in Pokemon hasn't changed at all so doing this really would be the ultimate form of milkage.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I wouldn't see the point in it since Pokemon hasn't changed all that much since the beggining.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I was actually thinking of this exact thing not long ago. I think it would be cool, a more simpler, stripped down version of the current handheld games. Mostly just for the sake of nostalgia, but I find the old sprites and sounds have a lot of charm. They could also go back to the original stats that don't differ between special and normal attack/defense, and none of that EV training non-sense. Just a simple, straight forward pokemon adventure that doesn't let you get tied up in all the stat grinding and meta-game focused stuff. If they were also to have the original gameboy games on the eshop, you could trade between the classic games and all that.

Continue to evolve the series on handhelds, try something drastically different on home consoles, and something retro like this on the e-shop? I'd be pumped.

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 slowpokebro

GreekGameManiac
That would be a must. :P I miss the days where I could come home from school and play Pokemon for the rest of the day. :P
madwhistler94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 madwhistler94
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I think it would be amazing if the pokemon creators could make a game that has the characters go through all the regions and stuff, it would be long as hell, but super amazing :D
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#27 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
I would but only if the price is right. I'm not going to pay $30 for software that looks and plays like 15 to 20 years ago.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
yup, sounds cool.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
I guess i might. But it might be more because of nostalgia for me.
nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nero_rules
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts
the Pokemon games still feel retro to me. I don't mean that in a bad way... they just haven't changed enough to feel so markedly different from the originals that we need a return to the originals.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

No thanks, I would gladly snap up Pokemon Yellow if it was released on the Virtual Console, but the Pokemon games get better and better looking each Gen, there's no need to go backwards.

ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZachMasta
Member since 2010 • 579 Posts

I say heck yes. I think literally NOTHING beats the graphical style of what Nintendo did with their 90's gameboy games like Pokémon and Zelda.

1243038623-1.gif

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 turtlethetaffer

I say heck yes. I think literally NOTHING beats the graphical style of what Nintendo did with their 90's gameboy games like Pokémon and Zelda.

1243038623-1.gif

ZachMasta

To me the Zelda games look miles better than the Pokemon games of old. I just didn't like the older Pokemon styIe, where I still love the old Zelda styIe.

ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZachMasta

Yeah, the old pokemon style of red/blue and gold/silver definitely has a different visual tone; one that isn't as bright or folk tale like, but they are both similar in many ways. I definitely miss gbc/gba graphics. The sharp stylistic pixel art is just so beautiful and immersive. I actually dream of a current gen gameboy that focuses on the graphics of old. I don't find the newest pokémon games as appealing visually. I like having to use my imagination to bring the retro pixeled world to life.

supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 supernes93
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts
only in the sprites of gold version would i really be able to appreciate the game. Also the newer Pokemon like gen 4 have much better box systems than the older games so i would have to see new box systems in a new retro game. But really what i would like to see on the 3ds is another first gen or now a third gen remake but to see it in glorious 3d like a Pokemon stadium styled game would be cool. game freak definitely has resources to play with in order to surprise us with something new and good.
supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 supernes93
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts

[QUOTE="ZachMasta"]

turtlethetaffer

To me the Zelda games look miles better than the Pokemon games of old. I just didn't like the older Pokemon styIe, where I still love the old Zelda styIe.

[/QUOTE in my opinion you are correct the zeldas and Pokemon games from the era of the game-boy color could still be used now. maybe not so much the Zelda just cause now there are graphics standards but the sprites of Pokemon in gen 2 is i think the best of all the Pokemon games. What i think would be cool to see is a remake of links awakening in 3d style graphics like oot. that would really bring that island to life
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="ZachMasta"]

supernes93

[/QUOTE in my opinion you are correct the zeldas and Pokemon games from the era of the game-boy color could still be used now. maybe not so much the Zelda just cause now there are graphics standards but the sprites of Pokemon in gen 2 is i think the best of all the Pokemon games. What i think would be cool to see is a remake of links awakening in 3d style graphics like oot. that would really bring that island to life

It would be neat. If they added new stuff I might buy it. But it would need more than new graphics.

Link's Awakening is a beast of a game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS

1243038623-1.gif

ZachMasta

yeah it looked good for the time, but man, just look at this:

http://www.honestgamers.com/images/assets/79/L/38731/1.jpg

it's so vibrant and so detailed and so pretty. and it looks even better in motion.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="ZachMasta"]

1243038623-1.gif

BrunoBRS

yeah it looked good for the time, but man, just look at this:

http://www.honestgamers.com/images/assets/79/L/38731/1.jpg

it's so vibrant and so detailed and so pretty. and it looks even better in motion.

I almost forgot. I am going to be daring and say that Minish Cap is the best looking game on GBA. Looks fantastic when animated.

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 slowpokebro

The sharp stylistic pixel art is just so beautiful and immersive... I like having to use my imagination to bring the retro pixeled world to life.

ZachMasta

1243038623-1.gif

ZachMasta
Ah yes, the GB days were among the best of the best. The graphics just suck you in and you become a part of the universe and it allows for more immersion. Is that one of the oracles games or is it Links's Awakening?
ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ZachMasta

[QUOTE="ZachMasta"]

The sharp stylistic pixel art is just so beautiful and immersive... I like having to use my imagination to bring the retro pixeled world to life.

slowpokebro

1243038623-1.gif

ZachMasta

Ah yes, the GB days were among the best of the best. The graphics just suck you in and you become a part of the universe and it allows for more immersion. Is that one of the oracles games or is it Links's Awakening?

That would be Link's Awakening. And I totally agree with you on the immersion part!

I do think Minish Cap is absolutely gorgeous, but not in the same way games like Link's Awakening is. In Minish Cap, the graphics are much more detailed and colorful and is much less abstract. While it is instant eye candy and is still immersive to me, I don't think it is as immersive or has as much style as more limited games of older. I think there's a very fine balance when it comes to too much or too less detail, and to me, games like Link's Awakening and Pokémon gold were the pinnacle. I also have the same opinion about the background game music.

Anyone ever play Dragon Warrior Monster's 2? Better than most Pokémon imo. Has graphics and sound of the same age as Link's Awakening etc. Getting only one of the best monsters can take over a hundred hours. That's another thing I miss about retro games-they are just longer and have much more to sink your teeth in to.

I guess I am the odd one out here, but I wouldn't appreciate a retro pokémon not for just nostalgia, but simply because I think the old graphics and sounds are just better and allows the game to be deeper and longer.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="slowpokebro"][QUOTE="ZachMasta"] [QUOTE="ZachMasta"]

1243038623-1.gif

ZachMasta

That would be Link's Awakening. And I totally agree with you on the immersion part!

I do think Minish Cap is absolutely gorgeous, but not in the same way games like Link's Awakening is. In Minish Cap, the graphics are much more detailed and colorful and is much less abstract. While it is instant eye candy and is still immersive to me, I don't think it is as immersive or has as much style as more limited games of older. I think there's a very fine balance when it comes to too much or too less detail, and to me, games like Link's Awakening and Pokémon gold were the pinnacle. I also have the same opinion about the background game music.

Anyone ever play Dragon Warrior Monster's 2? Better than most Pokémon imo. Has graphics and sound of the same age as Link's Awakening etc. Getting only one of the best monsters can take over a hundred hours. That's another thing I miss about retro games-they are just longer and have much more to sink your teeth in to.

I guess I am the odd one out here, but I wouldn't appreciate a retro pokémon not for just nostalgia, but simply because I think the old graphics and sounds are just better and allows the game to be deeper and longer.

The newer Pokemon games are arguably deeper and potentially longer than any of the odler ones, since there are so many different party options and now with the inclusion of things like Triple battles there's more strategy than ever to consider when building a team.

ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ZachMasta

that is because the series has had little things added to it each time instead of big innovations. If pokémond red and pokémon black were different franchises and both released at the same point in time, I would guess that the less technically impressive game would be deeper in more ways than one. From a production standpoint, typically when the graphics and sound are more retro, there is more time as well as resources to make the actual game content deeper, and more can be done on a smaller storage space.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts

From a production standpoint, typically when the graphics and sound are more retro, there is more time as well as resources to make the actual game content deeper, and more can be done on a smaller storage space.

ZachMasta
I agree. This is why the RBY and GSC games felt so big. It just pulled you in. Good times.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="ZachMasta"]

From a production standpoint, typically when the graphics and sound are more retro, there is more time as well as resources to make the actual game content deeper, and more can be done on a smaller storage space.

ZumaJones07
I agree. This is why the RBY and GSC games felt so big. It just pulled you in. Good times.

no, they felt big because you were a child experiencing them. if you play the gen 2 remakes, the world will feel rather small and (especially) bland, even though it's the exact same one you played all those years ago, but with even more content.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

I feel the exact opposite. I want a real evolution. Each pokemon game rarely looks any different than the last. I'm done with sprites, I want a 3D overworld with 3D battles. I'm talking about a real adventure game, not the colisseum battles on the consoles. I also want the pokemon cries to be reworked. It doesn't feel right that even the new pokemon have 8-bit cries. And the fact that Black and White 2 is refusing to upgrade to more powerful hardware tells me that Gamefreak is not willing to take the leap yet. I wouldn't mind if they just stopped making new pokemon and just refine what they already created.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

I much rather see the classic pokemon games for the Virtual Console. And do some tweaking to the games, like wireless trading & battles.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
I think it could be cool, if done right.
slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 slowpokebro
I think it could be cool, if done right.sman3579
It would be AWESOME!!! I'd feel like a kid again.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

I feel the exact opposite. I want a real evolution. Each pokemon game rarely looks any different than the last. I'm done with sprites, I want a 3D overworld with 3D battles. I'm talking about a real adventure game, not the colisseum battles on the consoles. I also want the pokemon cries to be reworked. It doesn't feel right that even the new pokemon have 8-bit cries. And the fact that Black and White 2 is refusing to upgrade to more powerful hardware tells me that Gamefreak is not willing to take the leap yet. I wouldn't mind if they just stopped making new pokemon and just refine what they already created.

thetravman

This is how I feel too. They've redone the sprites, why do they still cling to the old sounds? Especially when they have so much more creative freedom than the original games, which are mostly just bland speaker scratches.

And it would be nice if they kept some of their better innovations. What happened to the catching contests in G/S/C? What happened to the secret bases of R/S/E? There's so much they're just throwing out every gen that they could take and improve upon instead of coming up with things like musicals or pokewood.