Would a Zelda game where you play as Ganon work?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Time_Child

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Time_Child
Member since 2010 • 704 Posts

What do you think?

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

no. Link makes the game.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

You can have a Zelda game without Zelda... but you can't have a Zelda game without Link. So no.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
no, since ganon's basically "boo i'm here to take over the world *falcon punches the king to oblivion* now i'm king. *waits for link to show up*"
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Everyone is SO dissmisive of the idea lol. I think it COULD be good if done right, but I am happy with it being Link ;). Heck I would like to see Ganon's fighting change in smash bros, so if he starred in a Zelda game as the main character, than maybe he would build his own set of moves :P.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
They made it work in Smash Bros (yeah, yeah don't give me a "bad comparison" speech) I can't really picture controlling Ganon seeing how all 15 games you control Link all the time (or in rare cases: mind control another character temporarily) If anyone could make it work, it's Nintendo.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife

No one seemed to opposed to the idea of playing as Bowser, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, and other characters, when the main one is mario and thats how it all started. playing as Zelda/Shiek would be interesting too. Shiek would be fast and the game would certainly incorporate a jump button haha.

louis_was_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 louis_was_here
Member since 2006 • 241 Posts

If the entire game was about the advancement of evil? Yeah, sure - but there would be no inhibitors, as I would assume the follow up game would be link stopping Gannon, rather than the first.

But...yea. As long as you were either completely antagonistic or completely protagonistic (in which cse I wouldn't mind if you played as Zelda for a bit as long as Link was the main character, since they are both on the same side)

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

a free roaming action game (something like assassin's creed) about the rise and fall of ganondorf's reign in hyrule

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BrunoBRS

No one seemed to opposed to the idea of playing as Bowser, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, and other characters, when the main one is mario and thats how it all started. playing as Zelda/Shiek would be interesting too. Shiek would be fast and the game would certainly incorporate a jump button haha.

NaveedLife
thing is, with sheik it could work because she's doing something. ganon isn't. he just stays there the whole day admiring chaos and destruction.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

BrunoBRS
thing is, with sheik it could work because she's doing something. ganon isn't. he just stays there the whole day admiring chaos and destruction.

he sits there being a king, which makes him super cool!
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Yes, but it should be a spin-off. But I doubt Nintendo would let you play with the "most evil" Nintendo character, though.

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
It doesn't have to be a game about Ganon, but a game where you can CHOSE to play as Link, Zelda or Ganonondorf. Some mysterious evil threatens Hyrule that only the combined powers of the Triforce wielders can defeat.
mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

So what would the storyline be? You are an evil lord who wants to kidnap a princess, spread darkness over the land, and spend entirely too much time setting traps and puzzles for some green suited hero to overcome?

I don't get it.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

NaveedLife
I would never want to play as Bowser in a Mario game. There's a big difference between playing as another hero character and playing the villain. Ganondorf is not a person who is going to go through dungeons, solve puzzles and take the round about way to his goal. No he is going to just burn the temple, poison the mayors daughter and sit behind a barrier for 20hrs. It wouldn't make any sense for Ganondorf to do the things Link does, so you couldn't have a Zelda game with Ganon. Here's a good example, Separate Ways in RE4; you play as Ada doing things right before or after Leon has shown up somewhere. Now she does what Leon does. so you can palette swap her in for Leon. Ganondorf would never do what Link does, you can just say "Oh Link saves the village while Ganon destroys it" When saves places, its series of events that finally gets it done. Ganon just rolls through, smashes a few faces and the place is conquered; doesn't make much of a game.
Kidnap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kidnap
Member since 2003 • 133 Posts

Two things:

1st. It doesn't have to be the whole game;

2nd. IF Nintendo wants it to work, it WILL work.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrfokken

Two things:

Kidnap

1. Then what is the point?

2. It wasn't Nintendo's idea.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

If they did it like Zeratul side quests in SC2, where you'd go off to some random orb to do short quests/missions that are heavily story based.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaveedLife

It doesn't have to be a game about Ganon, but a game where you can CHOSE to play as Link, Zelda or Ganonondorf. Some mysterious evil threatens Hyrule that only the combined powers of the Triforce wielders can defeat.TheLordMagnus

Please never put Link and Ganon on the same team lol. :P

Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
It wouldn't work because Ganon has a certain mystique to him; like all villains in which you don't know a whole lot about. When you get to play them, it pretty much kills that sense of mystique.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

As a WiiWare rts/action game. Ganondorf could be the leader of an army trying to take over Hyrule, you'd be directing troops (moblins etc.) and then you could jump into the battle as Ganondorf to beat up some Hylian Soldiers too. They could make it so that you can "win" the game by overtaking Hyrule, but then there could be a post-credits, unwinnable fight against Link.

I'd buy it.

HawkEye1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HawkEye1997
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

It could be about when he was a kid and he explored the random oasis jungle near his desert village (dungeon #1) and then he finds his sword. 3 years later. The Gerudo leaders tell Ganodorf that he will become the king but first must pass the trials. So he sets off with the Gerudo leaders to the river of darkness and they push him in and says to him "You must stay under the water as long as you can... And don't you DARE come up empty-handed without any treasure or I assure you you shall be killed on the spot!!" So he goes down and finds some mysterious caverns where at some parts you can go up to an elevated portion and breathe but other places you have to swim (dungeon #2). Ganondorf then finds a slingshot. And destorys the Giant King Krab (the boss). He goes back up and shows the leaders his slingshot. They then claim that it is not a good treasure and the leaders tell the two Gerudo Elite Guards to kill him. Ganondorf battles them and win. I can post more later but that is what it would be like with him growing up and you learning why the heck that Ganon is so evil (he would be a teen through most of the game like 16 years old, but at the first dungeon he is likeee eight) so yeah it could work and I know alot more of the story so it doesn't end there at all!!! Yes it could work ^^^^

Kidnap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kidnap
Member since 2003 • 133 Posts

[QUOTE="Kidnap"]

Two things:

mrfokken

My (obvious) point: Ganon playable doesn''t mean a Zelda game without Link, like some were saying.

If Nintendo were to come up with that idea (which probably they already did) and was available to start developing it, it would definitely work. Despite some opinions here saying Ganon is not interesting, I disagree. Actually, I think such opinions are so reductive about what this great villain really is.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

LaytonsCat

from a character perspective, maybe, from a game perspective, "hold A to remain sit" for 20 hours isn't exactly a nice idea.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 alexh_99

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Sepewrath

I would never want to play as Bowser in a Mario game.

Mario and luigi: Bowsers Inside Story...?

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts

[QUOTE="TheLordMagnus"]It doesn't have to be a game about Ganon, but a game where you can CHOSE to play as Link, Zelda or Ganonondorf. Some mysterious evil threatens Hyrule that only the combined powers of the Triforce wielders can defeat.NaveedLife

Please never put Link and Ganon on the same team lol. :P

Why not? The formula for Zelda games is extremely boring and worn out. They need to shake up the formula a bit. I can't believe people like playing the same game 20 times.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

alexh_99

I would never want to play as Bowser in a Mario game.

Super Paper Mario?
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 alexh_99
[QUOTE="JuarN18"][QUOTE="alexh_99"]

I would never want to play as Bowser in a Mario game. Sepewrath

Super Paper Mario?

super mario RPG?
drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

I think it would be pretty sweet. Show Ganon taking the elements of Hyrul with a follow up of Link taking them back. Think it could be cool.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
It wouldn't be anything like Zelda. But a good game could be made with Ganon as the main character.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BrunoBRS

alexh_99

Super Paper Mario?

super mario RPG?

sepe just got ownd :P

although i'm pretty sure he meant the mario platformers.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sepewrath

alexh_99

Super Paper Mario?

super mario RPG?

*sigh* as expected. I figured many of you would miss the point of the sentence where (I) said (I) wouldn't want to play as Bowser in a Mario game. Never said anything about Bowser not being playable in any games, not to mention those aren't Mario games. I don't consider just anything with Mario in the title, a Mario game. I only give that designation to main series games.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 alexh_99

[QUOTE="alexh_99"][QUOTE="JuarN18"]Super Paper Mario?Sepewrath

super mario RPG?

*sigh* as expected. I figured many of you would miss the point of the sentence where (I) said (I) wouldn't want to play as Bowser in a Mario game. Never said anything about Bowser not being playable in any games, not to mention those aren't Mario games. I don't consider just anything with Mario in the title, a Mario game. I only give that designation to main series games.

i understood what you meant. I know you didnt mean that bowser wasn't playable in any game, i was wondering why you wouldnt want to play bowsers inside story? it's a really good game. and i also figured you were talking about the main series, i was just being annoying :P
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sepewrath
Well since that's not a Mario game, I would have problem playing as Bowser, same as I had no problem in Mario RPG. Though my squad was Mallow, Geno and Peach.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

[QUOTE="LaytonsCat"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] thing is, with sheik it could work because she's doing something. ganon isn't. he just stays there the whole day admiring chaos and destruction.BrunoBRS

from a character perspective, maybe, from a game perspective, "hold A to remain sit" for 20 hours isn't exactly a nice idea.

I would expect 40 hours of pushing A to sit. B to shuffle a bit and Z to fart?

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrfokken

[QUOTE="mrfokken"]

[QUOTE="Kidnap"]

Two things:

Kidnap

My (obvious) point: Ganon playable doesn''t mean a Zelda game without Link, like some were saying.

If Nintendo were to come up with that idea (which probably they already did) and was available to start developing it, it would definitely work. Despite some opinions here saying Ganon is not interesting, I disagree. Actually, I think such opinions are so reductive about what this great villain really is.

I'm confused. Ganon is interesting, but not enough to carry the whole game. People's arguments are to simplistic, but yours is that Nintendo probably came up with this idea and therefore it would work.

Your sarcasm does little to convince me. Instead, perhaps you could tell me why Ganon would be interesting as a playable character.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

No. The Zelda series is not known for Spinoffs (Link's Crossbow training aside). And there is definitely no chance of having a major Zelda release where you play as Ganon.

Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kojo222
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

BrunoBRS

True, but Ganon has to build himself up to that point. We missed out on the 7 years he spent turning Hyrule into a hellhole. We could also see how hard he worked to get those spiritual stones before getting all pissed off and cursing trees and stuff. I just don't think I'd be able to kill a Goron(they're so cute!) Anyway, we almost always miss the part where Ganon looks for and finds the triforce, and I'm sure it wasn't easy.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="Kidnap"]

[QUOTE="mrfokken"]

mrfokken

I'm confused. Ganon is interesting, but not enough to carry the whole game. People's arguments are to simplistic, but yours is that Nintendo probably came up with this idea and therefore it would work.

Your sarcasm does little to convince me. Instead, perhaps you could tell me why Ganon would be interesting as a playable character.

How is Link an interesting character? And how is Ganon uninteresting in comparison to Link?
Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kojo222

[QUOTE="Kidnap"]

[QUOTE="mrfokken"]

mrfokken

Well, here's my thing, and none of you kill me for this but Ganon isn't such a great villian. Sure he's powerful and delightfully evil, but he's also quite shallow as far as motivation and personality is concerned. With Zelda, we know she's wise, and that she puts the safety of her subjects before herself. Whether she's been captured or exiled, she's always going to be doing something to help Link(unless she's asleep).

It'd be cool to get a glimpse into why he wants to rule Hyrule. Does he think he deserves it? Does it have something to do with his past? Is he just being a powerful douche? Does he think he can do a better job than the King? Does he represent a forgotten minority? These are questions that a game from Gannon's perspective could shine some light on. It would be better than him being a 2-dimensional magical thief that wants to rule the world.

Once again, Gannon's an awesome villain, but the guy could use some depth.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#41 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

No because Link uses clever items and Ganon doesn't plus Zelda needs to have a story.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="LaytonsCat"] he sits there being a king, which makes him super cool!Cruse34

no way, ganon is the cIassy type.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="Kojo222"]

It'd be cool to get a glimpse into why he wants to rule Hyrule.

[/QUOTE He's the King of Evil, the father of all lies and the uncle of all tricks; I think that's reason enough lol. But in all seriousness, he craves power, he's like Dr Doom, he just wants more and more and power. There is no real rhyme or reason for the insane pursuit, but he does it anyway.
Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kojo222

[QUOTE="Kojo222"]

It'd be cool to get a glimpse into why he wants to rule Hyrule.

Sepewrath

He's the King of Evil, the father of all lies and the uncle of all tricks; I think that's reason enough lol. But in all seriousness, he craves power, he's like Dr Doom, he just wants more and more and power. There is no real rhyme or reason for the insane pursuit, but he does it anyway.

I guess that's why I like Magneto more than Dr. Doom. In any story, Doom can be easily replaced by any other power-hungry megalomaniac. Magneto(as a villain) always has his own twisted set of morals that he uses to justify any evil thing he does. You can't deny that it adds an extra dimension to the character, and that it's something Ganondorf is missing. All I'm saying is that it'd be cool to have something like that to make us care more about him, whether it be to make us hate him more or even make us sympathize with him a little.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

I don't think that he would be able to be the player's link to the world

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cruse34

[QUOTE="Cruse34"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] from a character perspective, maybe, from a game perspective, "hold A to remain sit" for 20 hours isn't exactly a nice idea.BrunoBRS

fart and blame it on the dog or moblin?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Cruse34"]

Cruse34

too cIassy to fart. too cIassy to even have to go to the bathroom.

if zelda ever gets voice acting, he'd have a british accent and every line of his would be dripping with sarcasm. that's how cIassy he is.

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

Well they did do a mario game were you play part as bowser, so maybe somthing similar. Like a new evil threatens to destroy all, including Ganindorf, so the three possesors of the triforce must fight together. (Those 3 would be Ganon, Link, and Zelda)

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

Like a new evil threatens to destroy all, including Ganindorf, so the three possesors of the triforce must fight together. (Those 3 would be Ganon, Link, and Zelda)Fundai

I would start uncontrollably drooling if i read that on the back of a zelda box. I suddenly care less of the origins of the master sword.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cruse34

[QUOTE="Cruse34"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] no way, ganon is the cIassy type.BrunoBRS

too cIassy to fart. too cIassy to even have to go to the bathroom.

if zelda ever gets voice acting, he'd have a british accent and every line of his would be dripping with sarcasm. that's how cIassy he is.

he would then need to wear a suit and carry a cane then