With the new update in effect I expect way more from the Wii now, SO SHOULD YOU!

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts

Listen it is clear now the Wii has more potential with SD cards almost completely integrated into the system. I almost feel like they should package a 4 gb SD card with every system. Wiiware memory cap is around 43 mb, which is a pathetic amount. Games should be at the very least 100 mb from now on and we all know it. Existing channels should be updated with new features and new channels should be bigger and better. More N64 games should come to the system and it would be really cool to get Saturn games.

My point is all these things should not come to the Wii. In all honesty I see Nintendo dragging their feet to do anything about it, but it should be done.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I agree. The Wii is now capable of much more, so we should get much more.
blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#3 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts

Yeah, I agree. Esspecially with WiiWare games--they have tons of potential, and hopefully now they'll be able to reach it.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

SD cards are not going to increase the potential of what can and can't be done on thewii. SD cards do nothing more than allow increased storage capacity. Nothing has changed among the Wii's internal hard drive, so nothing new will happen that we haven't seen before just because of our storage solution.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

OH MY LORD!!!!!!!?????????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I understand what you're saying bro, I really do....but dev's can create unique little games with only 43mb. There already are some pretty creative titles on WW now, they just need to keep it up. I wish they would release some sequals to old classics from the NES era personally (Castlevania V, Super Mario Bros 4, etc.)..... games like that are pure greatness, and I'm sure they could squeeze them into the 43mb's.

There's no reason to allow anything else just because of the SD card upgrade. WiiWare was meant to be for small projects, for smaller dev's (that don't have the money) to create a disc game. If anything, people should petition against S/E for releasing crap isn't fully completed like these poop FF games. That's complete bogus!!!!

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kardine
[QUOTE="danger_ranger95"]

I understand what you're saying bro, I really do....but dev's can create unique little games with only 43mb. There already are some pretty creative titles on WW now, they just need to keep it up. I wish they would release some sequals to old classics from the NES era personally (Castlevania V, Super Mario Bros 4, etc.)..... games like that are pure greatness, and I'm sure they could squeeze them into the 43mb's.

There's no reason to allow anything else just because of the SD card upgrade. WiiWare was meant to be for small projects, for smaller dev's (that don't have the money) to create a disc game. If anything, people should petition against S/E for releasing crap isn't fully completed like these poop FF games. That's complete bogus!!!!

Yes.... but are you telling me that upping the memory cap is a bad thing? I never said what we got on Wiiware wasn't awsome, all I said was it should be increased. It is a fact that with more memory they can do more, if they still want to do those little games then they should, then other developers can push the limit if they choose to.
Waffle_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Waffle_Fish
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts
Try not to expect anything from Nintendo this gen, you will just be disappointed
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kardine
Try not to expect anything from Nintendo this gen, you will just be disappointed Waffle_Fish
yup that is so true...unfortunately.
Avatar image for EpiphoneMan2008
EpiphoneMan2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 EpiphoneMan2008
Member since 2009 • 7169 Posts
totally agree i dont download games though i just want to get COD and The Conduit updates and modes and maps and things like that
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

If you have some games loaded to SD right now, try this experiment: Load a game off of the card. Then quit out. Go into Wii Options > Data Management > Channels. You should see a new file in your memory with an SD card logo. Click on that and you'll find the name of the game you loaded, and that it's taking up exactly the same amount of space as that game.

You see the problem? Games still need to fit within the internal memory, Albeit only one has to fit at a time. Still for practical reasons the size restriction will likely remain.

PS Even if there was enough memory, Saturn games probably still wouldn't work. The system was so complicated that it's difficult to emulate even on modern hardware.

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

SD cards are not going to increase the potential of what can and can't be done on thewii. SD cards do nothing more than allow increased storage capacity. Nothing has changed among the Wii's internal hard drive, so nothing new will happen that we haven't seen before just because of our storage solution.

wiifan001

danger_ranger95

Well actually you are both wrong the first thing we could get is Braid, a 9.5 rated XBLA game, which I understand couldn't be on the Wii due to size restrictions because it's 144mb. Now that's not a problem anymore is it!

Downloadable movies?

Downloadable game demos?

A 16GB SDHC card in the UK is £16! So I also agree a card should come with the Wii.

Phil

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]

Nomad0404

danger_ranger95

Well actually you are both wrong the first thing we could get is Braid, a 9.5 rated XBLA game, which I understand couldn't be on the Wii due to size restrictions because it's 144mb. Now that's not a problem anymore is it!

Downloadable movies?

Downloadable game demos?

A 16GB SDHC card in the UK is £16! So I also agree a card should come with the Wii.

Phil

but how does that make us wrong though?

Take Super Metroid for example. That is a fairly decent size game (which roles in at a 24mb). We almost get double with Nintendo has already given us, and that doesn't even require 3d programing.

43mb is enough imo. Plus, 43mb (max) keeps the games low in cost. How much is Braid?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Size limit should be 70 mb now. That's all that is needed. The rest is just a dream that will never happen.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ThePlothole

43mb is enough imo. Plus, 43mb (max) keeps the games low in cost. How much is Braid?

danger_ranger95

About US$15. So basically the same price as World of Goo or FFCC:MLAAC, and only $3 more than Tetris Party.

agentspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 agentspin
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts

all i could say to you people is to just be happy that you can have more memory now. no longer will u have to delete and redownload VC and WW games.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kardine
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

If you have some games loaded to SD right now, try this experiment: Load a game off of the card. Then quit out. Go into Wii Options > Data Management > Channels. You should see a new file in your memory with an SD card logo. Click on that and you'll find the name of the game you loaded, and that it's taking up exactly the same amount of space as that game.

You see the problem? Games still need to fit within the internal memory, Albeit only one has to fit at a time. Still for practical reasons the size restriction will likely remain.

PS Even if there was enough memory, Saturn games probably still wouldn't work. The system was so complicated that it's difficult to emulate even on modern hardware.

The keyword is temporarily. It holds a certain amount of memory temporarily. So you could have just saved games and that temporary memory of one game. SO there is alot of room left.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kardine

[QUOTE="Nomad0404"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]

Downloadable movies?

Downloadable game demos?

Phil

but how does that make us wrong though?

Take Super Metroid for example. That is a fairly decent size game (which roles in at a 24mb). We almost get double with Nintendo has already given us, and that doesn't even require 3d programing.

If it was possibly I would rather not even have a memory cap. For a gamer to want creativity stunted is weird. More memory does not affect you but more memory is good for those who want more. Really it is a weird thing to not want it esp without a reason.
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts

danger_ranger95
Why would you not want good games on the Wii? He's right, there should not be a limit on WiiWare games!
eric813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 eric813
Member since 2009 • 213 Posts

there has to still be a limit because able to play the game off the sd u still need to have a certain amount of cache(depending on the game) I would say they should hire the limit to like 100-150mb's

DS_Lightning21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DS_Lightning21
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts

It's cool that we actually got a nice surprise Wii update during GDC. I wonder what we'll get during E3 2009 considering that it's a much bigger event. I can't wait to hear what Nintendo has up their sleeves. I'm already excited about the possibilities with VC Arcade.

Oh yeah, and I'm still looking forward to The Conduit, and still enjoying MadWorld! Hopefully 3rd parties are becoming more comfortable with supporting the Wii that we'll get more hardcore titles from them. Even with arguments regarding RE5 on Wii for instance, it'll only be a matter of time that a 3rd party developer will jump at the opportunity to give us a decent 3rd-person shooter.

black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 black_ice23
Member since 2003 • 1288 Posts
if only the world worked like this , they give you more so we should get more, if only
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kardine
[QUOTE="DS_Lightning21"]

It's cool that we actually got a nice surprise Wii update during GDC. I wonder what we'll get during E3 2009 considering that it's a much bigger event. I can't wait to hear what Nintendo has up their sleeves. I'm already excited about the possibilities with VC Arcade.

Oh yeah, and I'm still looking forward to The Conduit, and still enjoying MadWorld! Hopefully 3rd parties are becoming more comfortable with supporting the Wii that we'll get more hardcore titles from them. Even with arguments regarding RE5 on Wii for instance, it'll only be a matter of time that a 3rd party developer will jump at the opportunity to give us a decent 3rd-person shooter.

Well if Madworld's initial sales are a suggestion we may not get much more from Platinum Games.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

there has to still be a limit because able to play the game off the sd u still need to have a certain amount of cache(depending on the game) I would say they should hire the limit to like 100-150mb's

eric813

That amounts to like 5 games or less on your system max. You guys have to understand that a dev who makes a game on an expanded memeroy base over three times the norm limits there audience and increases their dev costs. 70mb is all the is needed, anymore and wiiware will start to collapse.

snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

Try not to expect anything from Nintendo this gen, you will just be disappointed Waffle_Fish

I'm not going to be dissapointed when I'm killing opponents across the globe in the Conduit multiplayer.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kardine
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="eric813"]

That amounts to like 5 games or less on your system max. You guys have to understand that a dev who makes a game on an expanded memeroy base over three times the norm limits there audience and increases their dev costs. 70mb is all the is needed, anymore and wiiware will start to collapse.

OK well did you know that 70 mb would be really nice to have being that games can only be 43 mb. At this point I know some devs are getting cramped on creativity and games like FF CC Wiiware NEEDS more memory.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wiifan001
[QUOTE="kardine"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="eric813"]

OK well did you know that 70 mb would be really nice to have being that games can only be 43 mb. At this point I know some devs are getting cramped on creativity and games like FF CC Wiiware NEEDS more memory.

cramped on creativity? There's been so many titles that are creative and unique in their own way. The internal hard drive doesn't hold back all the unique games that developers have accomplished.
Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dingerious
Member since 2009 • 685 Posts

Increasing WiiWare size limit won't make wiiware games any better. Imposing artificial limits forces the developer to work outside of the confines of "bigger, better, more badass" by eliminating that possibility and instead work in the confines of "is this fun to play". Case in point: world of goo.

What I expect from this storage solution is for every developer delivering multiplatform games with downloadable content to also be delivered to Wii. At the very least, patches to online games. I'd be exstatic if they could patch WaW's controls to make them as good as Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ThePlothole
cramped on creativity? There's been so many titles that are creative and unique in their own way. The internal hard drive doesn't hold back all the unique games that developers have accomplished.wiifan001

Animales de la Muerte was originally slated as a Wiiware game. But due to the size limit it was eventually changed to a retail game.

PS The Wii does NOT have an internal hard drive. It's flash memory. There is a big difference.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ThePlothole
The keyword is temporarily. It holds a certain amount of memory temporarily. So you could have just saved games and that temporary memory of one game. SO there is alot of room left.kardine

Assuming that you transfer everything to SD. But even then you have to reserve a fair amount of space for the non-transferable stuff.

It's also worth mentioning that developers on average don't like to require things that aren't standard with every console. That's why most accessories see very little support.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kardine

wiifan001

cramped on creativity? There's been so many titles that are creative and unique in their own way. The internal hard drive doesn't hold back all the unique games that developers have accomplished.

Yes there has, and that goes to show what one can create on Wii (i.e. World of Goo).

But think if those great devs could have more to work with, then they have more to offer.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wiifan001
TC it sounds like that even with our new storage capabilities it's still not enough -_- NIntendo didn't even have to provide a storage solution in the first place and the next day we have someone demanding to increase the developing capabilities of Wiiware because appearantly those aren't satisfactory.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kardine
Yes we do because we are already seeing bigger games downloading on the store. Like LoZ: MM is coming to Japan which is a bigger N64 game with th expansion pack they would not put on before. They did have to provide a storage solution because most of us had to erase most of our games until that update came.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePlothole
Yes we do because we are already seeing bigger games downloading on the store. Like LoZ: MM is coming to Japan which is a bigger N64 game with th expansion pack they would not put on before. They did have to provide a storage solution because most of us had to erase most of our games until that update came. kardine

Majora's Mask is only about 27MB. That's much bigger than OoT.

Of course it did require more RAM... which is all the expansion pack is... but I don't see how this update could help there. Unless it upgraded the N64 emulation software. Then again it's also possible that MM was always compatible, and they have just been spacing releases.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I'm happy with Wiiware so far. But with more memory we should get demos of retail games now.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kardine

[QUOTE="kardine"]Yes we do because we are already seeing bigger games downloading on the store. Like LoZ: MM is coming to Japan which is a bigger N64 game with th expansion pack they would not put on before. They did have to provide a storage solution because most of us had to erase most of our games until that update came. ThePlothole

Majora's Mask is only about 27MB. That's much bigger than OoT.

Of course it did require more RAM... which is all the expansion pack is... but I don't see how this update could help there. Unless it upgraded the N64 emulation software. Then again it's also possible that MM was always compatible, and they have just been spacing releases.

Majora's Mask needed more memory to hold it, there was a reason they were not releasing expansion pack games before. Now after the update its coming to Japan.

boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 boardn720
Member since 2008 • 5310 Posts

yea me too!

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kardine

wiifan001

Yes but none of that negates the fact that they could do more with a higher memory capacity. Period.

alex6792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 alex6792
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

even though i highly doubt it'll happen,DEMOS,omg,opportunities are huge with DLC as well,like map packs for example with the conduit if possible,im pretty sure the reason demos are like 512MB+ on the other systems is because everything is high resolution,etc. so yea,big opportunities,IF nintendo is up to it

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kardine

even though i highly doubt it'll happen,DEMOS,omg,opportunities are huge with DLC as well,like map packs for example with the conduit if possible,im pretty sure the reason demos are like 512MB+ on the other systems is because everything is high resolution,etc. so yea,big opportunities,IF nintendo is up to it

alex6792
The Conduit is not set up for DLC, at least thats what Nosfinger said.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ThePlothole

Majora's Mask needed more memory to hold it, there was a reason they were not releasing expansion pack games before. Now after the update its coming to Japan.

kardine

Again, the Expansion pack was just RAM. Specifically 4MB, giving the system a grand total of 8MB. At 88MB, Wii should have plenty of RAM to run it. Even accounted for the space taken up by the emulator. And if it weren't.... well flash memory wouldn't be an ideal substitute.

The physical amount of space that MM took up on the actual cart wasn't much more than OoT.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Size limit should be 70 mb now. That's all that is needed. The rest is just a dream that will never happen.

ActicEdge
Agreed. Since games are still limited by the Wii's internal memory for temporary storage the files can't get much bigger. A little increase would be and should be doable though,
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kardine

[QUOTE="kardine"]

ThePlothole

Again, the Expansion pack was just RAM. Specifically 4MB, giving the system a grand total of 8MB. At 88MB, Wii should have plenty of RAM to run it. Even accounted for the space taken up by the emulator. And if it weren't.... well flash memory wouldn't be an ideal substitute.

The physical amount of space that MM took up on the actual cart wasn't much more than OoT.

Well there was a reason they were not releasing Expansion pack games before and for some reason they are doing it now. We do not know if more was involved with those games besides the extra RAM when it comes to emulation.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ThePlothole

Well there was a reason they were not releasing Expansion pack games before and for some reason they are doing it now. We do not know if more was involved with those games besides the extra RAM when it comes to emulation.

kardine

Like I said, this firmware update might have upgraded the emulation software as well. OR it could well be that they were purposely holding back. And then the release of MM so close to v4.0 is just a coincidence. Either way, the internal flash drive and the ability to run games off of SD is unrelated.

Well, unless they were reluctant to release any more of the bigger N64 games due to the dent they put on the Wii's limited storage. (but again, MM isn't that much bigger than OoT)

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kardine
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="kardine"]

Like I said, this firmware update might have upgraded the emulation software as well. OR it could well be that they were purposely holding back. And then the release of MM so close to v4.0 is just a coincidence. Either way, the internal flash drive and the ability to run games off of SD is unrelated.

Well, unless they were reluctant to release any more of the bigger N64 games due to the dent they put on the Wii's limited storage. (but again, MM isn't that much bigger than OoT)

What I am saying is there may be complications with emulating the expansion pack games and the way they overcome them requires more memory (I do not know enough about it). Whatever the case I never really thought about it this way till I talked to you, games like MM are coming and they were not coming before. The fact that more N64 games, bigger N64 games mind you, are coming now is a good sign that this memory update is taking some effect and more should come.
alex6792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alex6792
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts
[QUOTE="alex6792"]

kardine

well either way,if a sequel comes,its possible,or other games as well,your right,we should expect more =]
OG_GhostKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OG_GhostKilla
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts

totally agree i dont download games though i just want to get COD and The Conduit updates and modes and maps and things like thatEpiphoneMan2008
Ya that would be awesome, Cod has already given us FFA and Team Survival, but that's not dlc, it's already present on the game. I hope they give us unlimited time mode, or match that goes to 2000 poits or something. They've said Conduit won't have dlc, but you never know. Games really need to start giving us dlc now, GH WT did it.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kardine
[QUOTE="alex6792"][QUOTE="kardine"][QUOTE="alex6792"]

well either way,if a sequel comes,its possible,or other games as well,your right,we should expect more =]

I am just predicting here but if The Conduit 2 comes out I think your absolutely right. DLC probabaly will come.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

The wii will deserve more.

Nintend0-BuDDy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Nintend0-BuDDy
Member since 2008 • 639 Posts

I'll be playing my Wii much more. Considering it's the only current gen console I own, that's going to be a lot of time spent on Wii.

Its just like when the Wii first came out again, you won't be able to get me off of that thing! Exept, I'll be sitting more because of the SD Card update and I'll be playing a lot of VC games.