Will Wii Save Sonic ??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goku234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 goku234
Member since 2005 • 567 Posts

hes on smash now and its secrets ring game is good ....

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Nope. It doesn't matter what system he's on, if his games suck then they suck.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Smash may bring Sonic up, then his next game will come out... and drop him a few points
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 kidrock17xp
Member since 2004 • 2966 Posts
I don't see how him being featured in smash could ever be classified as a way of saving the series/franchise.
goku234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 goku234
next gen sonic sucks :(
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kidrock17xp
Member since 2004 • 2966 Posts
only way I can see wii saving sonic is if sega does an old school style sonic game for wiiware.
goku234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 goku234

like sonic rush thing for the DS ?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Nintendo has saved Sonic.

His games are good-great on the Wii and DS.

MegaSonicZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MegaSonicZX
Member since 2007 • 811 Posts
next gen sonic sucks :(goku234
Yes it does, but Sonic Rush Adventure seems to be restoring interest.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

only way I can see wii saving sonic is if sega does an old school style sonic game for wiiware.kidrock17xp

i agree. hopefully they'll make sonic adventure 3 with only sonic/shadowlevels that would be awesome imo.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Not if the Olympic Games title is any indicator.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 1871995
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts
For me, sonic has no hope
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy

For me, sonic has no hope1871995

So you stopped gaming in 2004-2005?

DemigodDragid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 DemigodDragid
Member since 2004 • 413 Posts
I've actually enjoyed almost everyone of the recent Sonic games but I haven't played Sonic the Hedgehog for 360 and Ps3 yet but I did enjoy Sonic and the Secret Rings.
p00toilet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 p00toilet
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts

I don't see how him being featured in smash could ever be classified as a way of saving the series/franchise. kidrock17xp

What do you mean? Metroid had been more or less dead since Super metroid, and then after Super Smash Bros., people said, "Oh, yeah, I remember now. Samus is awesome. I sure wish they could make another great Metroid game". And then a couple of years later we get Prime and Fusion, the two best in the series imo. If smash can save Metroid, it can save Sonic.

Emphasis on the "can". Brawl will make Sonic more popular for a time, but if Sega keeps putting out crappy Sonic games, then Sonic will continue to suck. And since a lot of people love Sonic, they continue to buy Sonic games even if they are horrible, just to see Sonic (e.g. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics). And then Sega says, "Hey, we can make more money by selling lots of crappy games than by selling one good game" and you get a market overflowing with games that aren't worth playing. Sorry to say the same about Nintendo and Mario, since they are usually good about their other franchises, but if its not an official Mario cannon game, then there's a fairly good chance that its just the same rehashed formula we've been playing since the mid-90's (e.g. Mario party, the Mario sports games, etc. Good the first time, but more or less just an updated version ofthe game in the sequels)

Bottom line: Brawl can save Sonic, but only if Sega is willing to make the most of this opportunity.

Karjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Karjah
Member since 2006 • 1415 Posts

No and two good reasons for such.

He's on the same system as Mario, Zelda and Metroid and that alone takes a lot of attention off of other games. Nintendo has a history of putting out great systems but having on one come on board becuase they don't like the very very feirce first party competition.

Secondly rings was jut a bad game as well as Sonic's first 360 title. First impressions mean a lot. You can put out the best sonic game in the world but some people are just already going to steer clear becuase of the first bad experience. I've never heard of a franchise having a bad game on a system then selling a fair number of titles for that same franchise on the same system. Every franchise gets one shot on every new generation and if it doesn't impress it either dies out or tries again the next generation. Sonic has failed outside the handheld market.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy

Secondly rings was jut a bad game as well as Sonic's first 360 title. First impressions mean a lot. You can put out the best sonic game in the world but some people are just already going to steer clear becuase of the first bad experience. I've never heard of a franchise having a bad game on a system then selling a fair number of titles for that same franchise on the same system. Every franchise gets one shot on every new generation and if it doesn't impress it either dies out or tries again the next generation. Sonic has failed outside the handheld market.

Karjah

Completely false

Anthropomorpix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Anthropomorpix
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts
I agree. Sonic Team should make a old school style Sonic, because next-gen Sonic sucks. I'll be looking forward to Sonic in Brawl though.
Avatar image for Super-Mario-Fan
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#19 Super-Mario-Fan
Member since 2006 • 4279 Posts
Having Sonic in SSBB may be enough to regain intrest in Japan. His games (including the handheld ones) have been blowing big time sales wise there.
ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#20 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
so far he doing better on the wii
Raiden_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Raiden_69
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts

hes on smash now and its secrets ring game is good ....

goku234

dude secrets ring was merely decent...not worth buying but renting

and smash should bring him up

TopBossUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TopBossUltra
Member since 2006 • 144 Posts
I thought secret rings was terrible.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
Bioware sonic rpg for ds, so im gonna say ds will save him
NECR0CHILD313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 NECR0CHILD313
Member since 2006 • 7025 Posts
Well, Smash puts him right back where he belongs, at least as far as the subspace emissary mode is concerned. 2D Platforming.
Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts
Bioware sonic rpg for ds, so im gonna say ds will save himVendettaRed07
I forgot about that.
MagicNinja911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MagicNinja911
Member since 2007 • 847 Posts
ok i have one think to say brawl is going to rock even harder because sonic on it but sega with sonic failing i think nintendo will save sonic for a some time but if sega doesn't make a good sonic game in the next years he will die hard
Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

ok i have one think to say brawl is going to rock even harder because sonic on it but sega with sonic failing i think nintendo will save sonic for a some time but if sega doesn't make a good sonic game in the next years he will die hardMagicNinja911
I agree to a point but I think Sonic needs to be in good games and not as an extra character, he needs his own identity in his own games. Good Sonic games are the only things that can "save" Sonic.

Will Sonic be as big as he was? Not likely.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
There was only one Sonic game I liked and it was Sonic Adventures. In my opinion his 2D games suck, and his 3D games WOULD be good if they didn't have horrible controls/camera problems/glitches and the like. It's amazing that after 5+ years Sega still can't fix the problem in 3D Sonic games.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

[QUOTE="kidrock17xp"]only way I can see wii saving sonic is if sega does an old school style sonic game for wiiware.AsadMahdi59

i agree. hopefully they'll make sonic adventure 3 with only sonic/shadowlevels that would be awesome imo.

yeah, just without shadow...and no overworld

Spektre41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Spektre41
Member since 2007 • 3217 Posts
[QUOTE="AsadMahdi59"]

[QUOTE="kidrock17xp"]only way I can see wii saving sonic is if sega does an old school style sonic game for wiiware.whoozwah

yeah, just without shadow...and no overworld

Bah! The Shadow levels in SA2 were fun.

Now the large gaps between playing them...

LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts
I'm optimistic about it.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Sonic Rush for the DS was a really fun game. I never played the recent current gen games. I thought Sonic Adventure for the dreamcast was pretty good (even though I never finished it).

I think they need to get away from making his "rebellious attitude" so cheesy. They should go back to not having him talk so much and focus on the adventure. Also, they need to get rid of the TERRIBLE music that they started using in the dreamcast games with all the heavy metal guitars and cheesy lyrics in the songs. They should go back to more "video gameish (is that a word?)" music like in the original Sonic 1 and 2 because that music was some of the best I've heard in a game.

I think the cheese factor in the recent games have messed them up.

goku234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 goku234

Well now I'm playing Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Adventure DX and

they're pretty fun

they should not put exploring the world thing like on the 360 one

that sucks ...

Sonic Adventure 3 is our only hope :)

goku234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 goku234

Sonic Rush for the DS was a really fun game. I never played the recent current gen games. I thought Sonic Adventure for the dreamcast was pretty good (even though I never finished it).

I think they need to get away from making his "rebellious attitude" so cheesy. They should go back to not having him talk so much and focus on the adventure. Also, they need to get rid of the TERRIBLE music that they started using in the dreamcast games with all the heavy metal guitars and cheesy lyrics in the songs. They should go back to more "video gameish (is that a word?)" music like in the original Sonic 1 and 2 because that music was some of the best I've heard in a game.

roboccs

he shouldn't talk to much ....

and they should kill tails or something ..

just sonic ,shadow ,egg-man , and some really good plot with a good villain other than egg-man .. like Chaos :)

Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kojo222
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

roboccs

I'll definitely co-sign that. Sonic always sucks if he (or his friends) have something to say, even in the cartoon. The DC games took themselves too seriously, and I won't even start on the PS3/360 versions.The challenging, speedy gameplay is what made him popular, which is why they FINALLY took a new direction with Rings. IMO if they make a sequel to that game, and iron out all the music and control problems they really can save the franchise. The graphics on it were incredible, and the earned skills and ring system add a good amount of depth and variability as far as strategy goes. At least as deep as you can get with a literally a run-and-jump game.

I think the biggest problem with the gameplay is that Sonic's controls feel like they're broken until you get enough skills to control them(which takes longer than it should).

roboccs is right about how hard the music sucks. I actually had to mute the option screen music when I was setting up my ring skills. Sonic CD's music is probably the best VG music I've heard, 'xept for Zelda and F-Zero(snes).

They also need to get rid of that genie-fairy. Honestly, worse than Navi.

steizgr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 steizgr8
Member since 2007 • 559 Posts

There was only one Sonic game I liked and it was Sonic Adventures. In my opinion his 2D games suck, and his 3D games WOULD be good if they didn't have horrible controls/camera problems/glitches and the like. It's amazing that after 5+ years Sega still can't fix the problem in 3D Sonic games.sexy_chimp

:o

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
They need to re-invent Sonic all over again. Why not do what Mario games like Mario 64 and Galaxy have done and make Sonic his own Mario/platform game like Galaxy, and etc.
goku234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 goku234

and no weird kinda super sonic like in secret rings ..

better the old one :)

and no silver cuz he suck

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Sega just tried to hard to make Sonic "cool" by making him sound like a moron when he talked. It kind of reminded me of that episode of The Simpsons when they introduced Poochie to Itchy and Scratchy and Homer did his voice. They tried so hard to make him sound "hip" with his crazy guitar riffs and cheesy lines. That is what the newer Sonics remind me of. Again, I haven't played any of the current gen ones. I liked what I played of Sonic Adventure, but didn't really like Adventure 2. From what I've seen in the videos of current gen ones, they don't seem to have improved from the cheesy factor.

I think if they tightened the controls and made it feel like you weren't running around aimlessly with no control, but still managed to keep Sonic's trademark speed, he could come back. They need to go back to the roots, ditch all the new characters, and make an epic quest.

By the way, the Sonic RPG sounds like it has great potential. I will keep my eye on that one. Sonic making a comeback can only be good for video games; I hope it happens.

duckshoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 duckshoe
Member since 2007 • 114 Posts
No. Sonic is beyond saving. End of story.
Avatar image for Supreme_Toquito
Supreme_Toquito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Supreme_Toquito
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

I have hope for Sonic. The Rush series is doing well score-wise, Secret Rings isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. I bought the game and IMO, a 7.6 is about apropriate. Maybe a 7.8. I also had no problems with the controls. It took a while to get used to them, but after a while, I could control him perfectly. Although it wouldn't hurt to have tighter control...

I remember somewhere that SEGA said that the next Sonic game will be similar to Secret Rings(control wise), but an entirely different plot. I can't find the source though..

EightBitLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 EightBitLink
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts
It's not about the Wii saving Sonic, it's more about the developer being able to actually make a decent sonic game for the Wii. They succeeded with Sonic and the Secret rings, but only time will tell.
goku234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 goku234

Wii is the best console for Sonic now...

or sega make dreamcast 2 :P