WiiU: is it worth the price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SweetPhantasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SweetPhantasm
Member since 2012 • 55 Posts
I've been thinking about getting the WiiU for my brother for Christmas. For those of you that already have it, do you think it's worth the price? Or should I just stick to getting him something in regards to his 3DS or Wii?
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

In my opinion, yes. For me it was - games like NintendoLand and Mario Bros. U are really fun and will hold me off until Pikmin 3 and a few other games.

This all depends primarily on the games. Just look at what's currently available on the shelf, and ask yourself; would he enjoy playing any of these games? If your answer is yes with a few games in mind, then go for it. Furthermore, look at what games are incoming, for example, is he into Pikmin? Games like Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 contribute to your decision in this respect.

If there aren't many games that interest you/him, then just wait it out until the library gets bigger. Maybe wait for his birthday next year or something.

SweetPhantasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SweetPhantasm

In my opinion, yes. For me it was - games like NintendoLand and Mario Bros. U are really fun and will hold me off until Pikmin 3 and a few other games.

This all depends primarily on the games. Just look at what's currently available on the shelf, and ask yourself; would he enjoy playing any of these games? If your answer is yes with a few games in mind, then go for it. Furthermore, look at what games are incoming, for example, is he into Pikmin? Games like Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 contribute to your decision in this respect.

If there aren't many games that interest you/him, then just wait it out until the library gets bigger. Maybe wait for his birthday next year or something.

trugs26
Well, I know he really wants to check out the new Legend's of Zelda: Majora's Mask for WiiU. Can I ask you why you like WiiU better? Or why you think it's worth it?
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 trugs26

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

SweetPhantasm

Well, I know he really wants to check out the new Legend's of Zelda: Majora's Mask for WiiU. Can I ask you why you like WiiU better? Or why you think it's worth it?

There is no new Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask for Wii U. If you're referring tothis video, then unfortunately he has been mistaken. This was a very well done fan made video. For more information on the fan made video, check here.

In regards to the second part of your question; why do I think it's better? I'm assumingyou're comparing it the PS3/360 here in terms of "better" - and simply put, I prefer Nintendo franchises.

But since experiencing the Wii U, I've also noticed that the game pad is actually a really good idea. I'm surprised how often I play only on the game pad (without bothering to turn on the TV at all, or putting on an episode of Family Guy or something). Also the browser is fast, and I'd imagine the second screen would work nicely in games which need an inventory screen for example, as well as other novel ideas. The online community with the Wii U is very well done too; it's simplistic but has a real nice and easy going vibe (it's called Miiverse btw).

Anyway, these are extra things I had noticed about the game pad that did not play a part in my initial purchase. My initial purchase was pushed by the fact that I want a Nintendo console for Nintendo franchises, the other cool things I noticed were just a bonus.

To the final part of your question; why do I think it's worth it?

As I said, Nintendo franchises make it worth it to me. For your brother though, he may enjoy some franchises on Nintendo consoles, but they may not be out yet; so it might pay to wait a little later. But if he loves franchises like New Super Mario Bros., Pikmin, NintendoLand, and likes the looks of the current (or soon to be released) third party games such as ZombiU, Rayman legends, Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101, then you may as well get it for him now.

A final note: I liked how I didn't have to buy any controllers for the Wii U, as it's backwards compatiblewith the Wii controllers. Thus making this the cheapest console purchase I've ever had.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

I've been thinking about getting the WiiU for my brother for Christmas. For those of you that already have it, do you think it's worth the price? Or should I just stick to getting him something in regards to his 3DS or Wii? SweetPhantasm

Unless there are a lot of games that he wants on the WiiU, Im gonna say no..wait till March 2013 all launch window games are out or even later, Pikmin 3 has been delay till after launch window. There's still slow OS issues that need fixing/patching.

I got the WiiU at launch cos Im a fan & due to deals on WiiU console & games, knowing Nintendo rarely drop price of console..I wasn't going to pay full gouging Australian price for the console & I really wanted to play ZombiU. :)

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
absolutely not. Wait a year at the very least until some decent software (which arent ports) get released for it...such as pikmin / wonderful 101 etc...
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
He likes NIntendo, so he must like Mario. Therefore, he should be playing New Super Mario Bros. U for Christmas. Buy it for him.
SweetPhantasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SweetPhantasm
Oh wow, there are a lot of great responses! Thank you! I know he's not going to like hearing Majora's Mask isn't actually being made for WiiU. Actually, that's kind of disappointing for me to hear as well. I love Zelda. But this definitely gives me a lot more insight. I still don't know what I'm going to do though. I guess I'll have to think about it a little more, but about the wireless gamepad. I've watched some videos about the actual system, but does the console have to be on in order for the gamepad to work as well?
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trugs26

but about the wireless gamepad. I've watched some videos about the actual system, but does the console have to be on in order for the gamepad to work as well?SweetPhantasm

Yes, the console powers the game pad. The consolse itself has the GPU and CPU, the graphical information is then transferred from the console to the game pad. So the game pad has to be within a certain range from the console. Personally I can play from my bed, but I have a very small house.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes the Wii U is worth the price. The deluxe set is the one you should get. For an extra $50.00 which is less than buying Nintendoland seperately at $59.99. Plus and extra 24GB of Flash memory. Consoles stand, Gamepad stand and Charging cradle. These 3 sell for $20.00 by themselves. Plus enrollment in the Nintendo download rewards program. 10% of the cost of all games you download for the next 2 years.

So it is hard to put a number on that since it depends on what you download for the eShop.

So a savings of at least $80.00 by choosing the Wii U deluxe over the basic set.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trugs26

Yes the Wii U is worth the price. The deluxe set is the one you should get. For an extra $50.00 which is less than buying Nintendoland seperately at $59.99. Plus and extra 24GB of Flash memory. Consoles stand, Gamepad stand and Charging cradle. These 3 sell for $20.00 by themselves. Plus enrollment in the Nintendo download rewards program. 10% of the cost of all games you download for the next 2 years.

So it is hard to put a number on that since it depends on what you download for the eShop.

So a savings of at least $80.00 by choosing the Wii U deluxe over the basic set.

Megavideogamer

Eh. I wouldn't be so assertive with this claim. If you already have a sensor bar from your Wii, don't care for plastic peripherals, and don't care for NintendoLand, then the only incentive left is the rewards program and memory. Iif he isn't intending to spend much time on the eShop, then this would be pointless too.With memory, in both bundles, memory is quite small, and easily extended by an external device.

But yes, this is a consideration for you TC. Most people prefer the Deluxe, but it may not be for you.

Darksec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darksec
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts

Personally ive already sold mine, its a great instant novalty but once that wares off you long for a normal pad to play mainstream stuff.

Nintendo fans will love it cos mario back to 2D etc and has that modernised yet retro feel.

Overall I reckon once new xbox and ps come out this will be the poor cousin and will be out of date almost immediately.

If he is a nintendo fan (something i used to be) then id make him wait for more titles.

If hes after pro gaming online and all that jazz then avoid the wii U

Nintendo need to get more with the content and the power instead of trying sill novalties out all the time, yeah you made some money off the last one tho most sold em on not long after and it didnt have the stay power of the rivals.

He may not care about all this so really you will just have to read the situation.

PS as with all other consoles there are fanboys who will sing its praises if it was a toaster with Nintendo written on the side so dont expect a perfect vote on this.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trugs26

Personally ive already sold mine, its a great instant novalty but once that wares off you long for a normal pad to play mainstream stuff.

Darksec

These claims are rather bold considering the age of the system.

SweetPhantasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SweetPhantasm
I don't know if I would have sold it already or at all, but that's just me. Even though I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to get it for him, I still feel like I would have kept the system longer. Since it just game out, more games will most likely be released soon as well.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

400$ is a lot of money...

if he likes mario zelda and enjoys light hearted games...then yes i fully recommend it.

Nintatterdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nintatterdemon
Member since 2010 • 69 Posts

It's really fun but you have to consider whether it's worth buying a new console with few games. Which isn't saying there aren't good games there, but obviously every launch console is only going to have a few worth games worth playing.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

Personally ive already sold mine, its a great instant novalty but once that wares off you long for a normal pad to play mainstream stuff.Darksec
That's why I got a Pro Controller for for Wii U. It seems you really didn't spend any time deciding on your Wii U purchase or investing in the Pro Controller that would have resolved this complaint. On topic, getting a Wii U at or shorty after launch is recommended if you are a Nintendo fan such as myself or there is a launch game that you MUST have. You can always hold out for more games and price drops.

soldyoursold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 soldyoursold
Member since 2012 • 88 Posts
maybe if they had good games
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I personally decided not to get it until 2013 or even 2014, I will happily play the games that are out for the Wii U right now, but I'm just burnt. I have tons of games I need to play and finish, and ultimately Nintendo has machete'd my favourite Nintendo franchises: Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox...

I'll just wait, there's no rush to get it unless a new Tales/Metroid/F-Zero/Star Fox game is announced for it or something :P or another one of nintendo's long lost IPs...

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Sure was for me. I've had a helluva lot of fun the last month with it.

ZombiU has been my most played game during that time. Excellent game, IMO.

morattorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 morattorm
Member since 2012 • 30 Posts
I've loved having it. Pretty much shelved my PS3 in favor of my WiiU. It's currently my preferred system for 3rd parties just for the gamepad alone. Sure having my map on the gamepad in AC3 might not be THAT big of a deal but I just replayed AC2 on PS3 and it's just one of those little things you don't think about that make life less frustrating. I hated having to pause every few minutes to figure out where I was heading, now I don't. Score one for the gamepad :D
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I've had lots of fun with it but for me it takes a lot to justify such a large purpose. I'd recommend the system to any Nintendo fan, but for me it will take a few more AAA games before my experiences have justified the hefty price of entry.
PanickBuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PanickBuzz
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts

I've been thinking about getting a Wii U after Christmas. But I'm still not sure if it's any better than xbox.

There was a video games exhibition in my city in autumn, and I tried Zombie U and some other cute childish games on Wii U and I liked it very much. But there were just 3 games I've seen and like so far. I'm afraid that I buy the console and there won't be any worthy games for it later.