Wii U Voice Chat and Microphones

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 VVatson
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts

Hello everyone, I am making this thread to get the truth about how voice chat works on the Wii U and what headsets/microphones and games are compatible. 

I have searched the internet and basically all I can find are older articles from 2012 speculating about how voice chat works and the nintendo manual also has a lack of information in this department.

I want to try to keep the flaming of the Wii U and its capabilities to a minimum and would love to just have the facts.

So here is what I gather.  If you want to use voice chat, you have to plug in a compatible microphone or headset into the gamepad.  The mic on the gamepad itself is not used for voice chat (which is ok considering you would hear the buttons anyway).  So you have to plug in an acceptable third party headset from either Turtle Beach or Mad Catz.

I've heard, however, that some additional microphones/headsets also work if it has the correct 3.5mm input.  Is this correct?  It would be great not to have to buy anything new just to chat. Does any microphone with the 3.5mm input work if being plugged into the gamepad or does it have to have both sound and microphone going through the same input? (ie, both a green and red input wouldnt work).  I also take it that if your headset is only USB that wont work either considering there isn't a USB slot on the gamepad?

Any valuable information on this subject would be much appreciated.  Thanks

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

You do not have to use a specific third party Wii U microphone. Any headset (i.e. ones that come with many smartphones) will work on the Wii U GamePad. I am not 100% about this, but I think for certain games (like Assassin's Creed III) you can use the GamePad's microphone to chat online.

VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VVatson

You do not have to use a specific third party Wii U microphone. Any headset (i.e. ones that come with many smartphones) will work on the Wii U GamePad. I am not 100% about this, but I think for certain games (like Assassin's Creed III) you can use the GamePad's microphone to chat online.

Haziqonfire

You said any headset will work on the Wii U GamePad but I don't think this is true.  Like I clearly can't use my USB headset with it, which sucks because a lot of headsets are USB only now.

So can I use any headset that has 3.5mm or does it have to be a headset that has 3.5mm for sound AND voice in one jack?

The example of ones that come with smartphones doesnt help me because my smartphones didnt come with anything and I don't know if they have both jacks combined into one.  If that is the case then only a very select few headsets will work and definitely not "any headset" as you said.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

VVatson

You said any headset will work on the Wii U GamePad but I don't think this is true.  Like I clearly can't use my USB headset with it, which sucks because a lot of headsets are USB only now.

So can I use any headset that has 3.5mm or does it have to be a headset that has 3.5mm for sound AND voice in one jack?

The example of ones that come with smartphones doesnt help me because my smartphones didnt come with anything and I don't know if they have both jacks combined into one.  If that is the case then only a very select few headsets will work and definitely not "any headset" as you said.

What he meant is that any headphone that uses a 3.5mm jack and has a built in mic will support voice chat. They come with a 4 ring plug. It's industry standard for most smartphones anyways.
VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VVatson

[QUOTE="VVatson"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

hiphops_savior

What he meant is that any headphone that uses a 3.5mm jack and has a built in mic will support voice chat. They come with a 4 ring plug. It's industry standard for most smartphones anyways.

But what I still don't understand is if you need a headphone that uses a 3.5mm jack for BOTH sound and voice.  For example, I have an older logitech headset that uses 3.5mm jacks but it has both a red and green, one for audio and one for voice.  The gamepad only has one outlet, and its for audio.  So I assume that you need some type of headphone that uses an all-in-one type of 3.5mm jack.  And I take it most people keep mentioning smartphones because they are known for making this type of jack for use with phones because phones also don't have type inputs for audio/voice, only one for audio.

Or am i completely wrong altogether and my old logitech WILL work and I just need to plug in the voice jack and not worry about the audio?

Thanks

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="VVatson"]

You said any headset will work on the Wii U GamePad but I don't think this is true. Like I clearly can't use my USB headset with it, which sucks because a lot of headsets are USB only now.

The example of ones that come with smartphones doesnt help me because my smartphones didnt come with anything and I don't know if they have both jacks combined into one. If that is the case then only a very select few headsets will work and definitely not "any headset" as you said.

VVatson

But what I still don't understand is if you need a headphone that uses a 3.5mm jack for BOTH sound and voice. For example, I have an older logitech headset that uses 3.5mm jacks but it has both a red and green, one for audio and one for voice. The gamepad only has one outlet, and its for audio. So I assume that you need some type of headphone that uses an all-in-one type of 3.5mm jack. And I take it most people keep mentioning smartphones because they are known for making this type of jack for use with phones because phones also don't have type inputs for audio/voice, only one for audio.

Or am i completely wrong altogether and my old logitech WILL work and I just need to plug in the voice jack and not worry about the audio?

Thanks

I'd imagine it only supports headphones/headsets with both sound and voice in one. I doubt it will work with your 2-jack logitech headset, but give it a shot anyway.

VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VVatson

Yes that is correct, confirming my own question here for anyone who might have the same concerns:

You need the all-in-one type of headset/headphones that use the single 3.5mm jack with a microphone.

BUT

If you have any standard PC headset or microphone (non-USB), you can get this splitter that turns them into the all-in-one 3.5mm jack:

3.5mm Splitter from Amazon

SO

Before anyone who wants to use voice chat on the Wii U for games like Black Ops 2 goes out and buys a new mic, be sure to pick up a splitter instead if you have a PC mic.

Nitrowing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nitrowing
Member since 2005 • 217 Posts

If you want to use your headset then you will need one of these. Just connect them and it should work since im using one to connect my headphones and mic.

gronk-bonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 gronk-bonk
Member since 2008 • 1951 Posts

I heard that iphone headsets with mics work. 

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
The thing you need is a 4 pole 3.5mm plug, like the ones that come with smartphones. If you have a green/pink 2 plug headset, then yes, an adapter could be purchased. I have the Astro A40s, and they work. It's not like there's any games I want to play online with the Wii U, though. Nintendo REALLY needs to mention this stuff in their manual.
Mika_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mika_T
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts
Any smartphone headphones will work ( they have all have built in mic for handsfree). Interesting story actually, I plugged them into my gamepad... for better sound to discover every work I muttered was being picked up!
Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Gamepad has a built in Mic. You can use it or a headset, I use the Turtle Beach NLa Wii U/ 3DS headset from Amazon. The following games have game chat. COD BO2, ME3, AC3, and the best imo is MH3U all use gamechat online well.

The Gamepad mic works for game chat, MH3U uses it.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 donalbane

Gamepad has a built in Mic. You can use it or a headset, I use the Turtle Beach NLa Wii U/ 3DS headset from Amazon. The following games have game chat. COD BO2, ME3, AC3, and the best imo is MH3U all use gamechat online well.

The Gamepad mic works for game chat, MH3U uses it.

Master_Of_Fools
Well of the games you site, only ME3 and MH use the built in mic. That's the problem... it's confusing to people since there isn't a universal standard.
Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"]Gamepad has a built in Mic. You can use it or a headset, I use the Turtle Beach NLa Wii U/ 3DS headset from Amazon. The following games have game chat. COD BO2, ME3, AC3, and the best imo is MH3U all use gamechat online well.

The Gamepad mic works for game chat, MH3U uses it.donalbane
Well of the games you site, only ME3 and MH use the built in mic. That's the problem... it's confusing to people since there isn't a universal standard.

I see. Well everyone should just get the Turtle Beach NLa WiiU/3DS headset.

VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VVatson

[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"]Gamepad has a built in Mic. You can use it or a headset, I use the Turtle Beach NLa Wii U/ 3DS headset from Amazon. The following games have game chat. COD BO2, ME3, AC3, and the best imo is MH3U all use gamechat online well.

The Gamepad mic works for game chat, MH3U uses it.Master_Of_Fools

I see. Well everyone should just get the Turtle Beach NLa WiiU/3DS headset.

I don't really NEED to get that though. I can just spend $5 on an adaptor and use my PC headset. 

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 donalbane
I would do whatever is cheapest, like the adapter. It's not like you're going to be playing many online games on the WiiU.
jmenkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jmenkas
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hey gays! Are you using any special voice chat like MyTeamVoice, Ventrilo, C3, RaidCall, TeamSpeak, Mumble??