Wii scratches discs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts
Can't ever seem to get GameSpot's damned search engine to work, so I'm resorting to asking something that may have been asked already...

Anyone else here noticing that their Wii discs are getting scratched gradually over time?  I don't know exactly what to blame here since I normally take good care of my discs (except for those old CD jewel cases which have the plastic disc holders which break within the first week....), but I can't find out for the hell of me as to why my WiiSports & Zelda discs are getting more scratches on them over the times.....
Demon-Draco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Demon-Draco
Member since 2003 • 760 Posts
Are you playing for prolonged periods of time? If not, my only assumption would be a problem with the console.
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Genexi2
Had a few 4-6 hours sessions of Zelda, but regarding the scratches, I'm assuming they're occuring *when* the system is accepting the disc, rather than when it's already in there spinning...

Regarding that, does anyone else here hear a couple clicks from their Wii when the system is setting the disc inplace?

Anyways, I'm already feeling my system may be faulty as it has frozen up 3 times since I picked it up 6 days ago.
liljon546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 liljon546
Member since 2005 • 2301 Posts

It's probably just a problem with that specific system.

Parapsyche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Parapsyche
Member since 2004 • 127 Posts
No scratches here...I just checked my most frequently played games.  I've played them for extended periods of time, and there isn't a single scratch or anything.

The manual mentions to remove the discs from the system when you're done playing.  I've been doing that, even though it hasn't been a problem with any other systems.  Slot loading disc drives are a bit different however.  Maybe try taking your discs out when you're done playing?  (Unless you already do that, :))
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
I noticed my Wii Sports had a two scratches on it. I think I got them as I took the disc out.

That paper case doesnt help either.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
Over the times?  It hasnt even been out a week yet.
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Genexi2
Over the times? It hasnt even been out a week yet.
bunchofpixels
Its been a long week for me.....and the fact I've actually noticed scratches coming out of nowhere on my disc within this week alone means somethings up... Gave Nintendo's support group a little dingle, hopefully will get a reply tomorrow, and hopefully a system replacement if this truly is the systems fault. (wish every other company had such top-notch support like they do, 0% hassle at all to get a replacement system...)
Demon-Draco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Demon-Draco
[QUOTE="bunchofpixels"]Over the times? It hasnt even been out a week yet.
Genexi2
Its been a long week for me.....and the fact I've actually noticed scratches coming out of nowhere on my disc within this week alone means somethings up... Gave Nintendo's support group a little dingle, hopefully will get a reply tomorrow, and hopefully a system replacement if this truly is the systems fault. (wish every other company had such top-notch support like they do, 0% hassle at all to get a replacement system...)

Viva le Nintendo.
Nolano386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nolano386
Member since 2004 • 774 Posts
My zelda disc is perfect.
T005dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 T005dragon
Member since 2005 • 1616 Posts
My Wii Sports disk has minor scuffs on it from the paper pouch it is stored in, but my copy of Twilight Princess is scratch free since I keep it in it's DVD box.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
Could it simply be from the way you are inserting the disc into the console?
macho_c_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 macho_c_a
Member since 2006 • 1007 Posts
Could it simply be from the way you are inserting the disc into the console?
bunchofpixels
maybe it is. I play about 2-5 hours a day and my Zelda is still perfect. Are you leaving your games inside the system when your not using it? cause the manual says you shouldn´t.
delessangeles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 delessangeles
Member since 2003 • 374 Posts
My Wii makes those noises when it accepts the discs too.  Some scratches are to be expected as well, are your scratches really bad?
Demon-Draco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Demon-Draco
My Wii makes those noises when it accepts the discs too.  Some scratches are to be expected as well, are your scratches really bad?delessangeles
to be expected?!
Avatar image for Playstation_Nut
Playstation_Nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Playstation_Nut
Member since 2004 • 516 Posts
BE CAREFUL! i put my wii sports disc in upside down and it ate the disc. i was getting disc read problems, i had to take the disc down to my local gamecrazy and have it buffed. the game works now but i'm using Dskins from now on.
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Genexi2
By expected, I'm assuming he means they were part of the hardware design, a click possibly meaning the disc got fastened into place (kinda like how the GameCube has it's discs click when they get fastened past them 3 spring-loaded ball thingers)....

Some scratches are to be expected as well, are your scratches really bad?

Not bad to the point where it'd hinder disc reading, but it may very well hit that point in the near-future if the scratch damage worsens.
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts
Can't ever seem to get GameSpot's damned search engine to work, so I'm resorting to asking something that may have been asked already...

Anyone else here noticing that their Wii discs are getting scratched gradually over time? I don't know exactly what to blame here since I normally take good care of my discs (except for those old CD jewel cases which have the plastic disc holders which break within the first week....), but I can't find out for the hell of me as to why my WiiSports & Zelda discs are getting more scratches on them over the times.....
Genexi2
Hey thanks for bringing this up. As soon as I read this I checked my Wii Sports game and noticed some scratches! I don't know if this was due to the little card pouch that it came in or what. All I know is that I'm not taking any chances and put a d Skin on it right away. I will do the same for when I get Zelda: TP as well. Thanx again for the notice.
Inferno636

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Inferno636
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts
Had a few 4-6 hours sessions of Zelda, but regarding the scratches, I'm assuming they're occuring *when* the system is accepting the disc, rather than when it's already in there spinning...

Regarding that, does anyone else here hear a couple clicks from their Wii when the system is setting the disc inplace?

Anyways, I'm already feeling my system may be faulty as it has frozen up 3 times since I picked it up 6 days ago.
Genexi2
I've been having no problems with my Nintendo Wii. It makes some noise loading a big game or game moment but nothing utterly ridiculous or unatural. And mine hasn't frozen up once and my discs aren't scratched at all so far and they've been put in and out a lot.
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts
I just tried the d skin and it was too thick! I got it out in time before it got stuck. It looks like we will have to put up w/ the scratches being made. Like I said hopefully its cuz of the case and not the Wii its self. By the way... Playstation_nut do they charge at gamecrazy to buff it for you? If so how much? Thanx.
xeidog69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 xeidog69
Member since 2005 • 1463 Posts

I noticed my Wii Sports had a two scratches on it. I think I got them as I took the disc out.

That paper case doesnt help either.
EmilioDigsIt

check THIS out!!! this will help you...

Avatar image for Playstation_Nut
Playstation_Nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Playstation_Nut
Member since 2004 • 516 Posts
I just tried the d skin and it was too thick! I got it out in time before it got stuck. It looks like we will have to put up w/ the scratches being made. Like I said hopefully its cuz of the case and not the Wii its self. By the way... Playstation_nut do they charge at gamecrazy to buff it for you? If so how much? Thanx.j03yAsunder

to be honest i didn't even ask i just said buff it, make it work, but i think i was like 3-4 bucks, well wroth having my Wii Sports running fine.
FATMAN87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FATMAN87
Member since 2006 • 348 Posts
i play zelda the most, and mine is clean as a whistle, try to have your wii laying down and not vertically to see if that helps
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I know this thread it old, but it's better to ressurect it than make a new one. I bought a wii just yesterday and have noticed scratches on my two game discs. I'm a perfection freak when it comes to game media, so I know beyond a doubt that I didn't scratch them myself. My copy of Wii Sports has several minor scratches along the outside ridge of the disc. Even worse, my copy of Wii Play has a tiny chip knocked out of its outer edge. I do not move the console while playing games, so I suspect that the system's method of loading discs causes them to become scratched. I hate the idea of paying $50 for a new games, only to have the system scratch them.

Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
All my Dics are fine except Wii Sports, But wii sports had a crappy paper case..But yeah thats the only discs with scratches on them.. My Zelda Cd is perfect and I played zelda for like 8 hours one day.
PAULEZ27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PAULEZ27
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I have the same problem. I bought my Wii in May and in June bought Zelda and after that Transformers. Both of them have a scratch in almost the exact same place and now neither one of them work. I have not played my Wii since then because I'm afraid it will do more damage. I hate to even call Nintendo because I'll just get more pissed off when they tell me I have to Pay them to fix the problem.
gigabrowser12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 gigabrowser12
Member since 2006 • 1647 Posts
I have the same problem. I bought my Wii in May and in June bought Zelda and after that Transformers. Both of them have a scratch in almost the exact same place and now neither one of them work. I have not played my Wii since then because I'm afraid it will do more damage. I hate to even call Nintendo because I'll just get more pissed off when they tell me I have to Pay them to fix the problem.PAULEZ27
Hehe I think your wrong about the last bit... they'll apriciate it... Anyway buy one of those un disk skratcher for these times.
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Genexi2

Holy necro-bump Batman!

Didn't expect to see my old thread pop up.....

danchambos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 danchambos
Member since 2003 • 526 Posts

dude the system does indeed leave marks on the discs over time. my copy of mario already has scratches on it. and i had to get a wii replacement because my last wii would leave a dust mark on my disks like a line of dust on a quarter of the disk. it was weird and the system locked up and effed up no more heroes. luckily nintendo replaced everything and gave me all my VC stuff back. but my new console still makes marks over time. its a lack of a disk tray. the game cubes top loader was really nice and the discs never got scratched adn they were vere tough. idk. but i do think that the wii leaves marks on discs over time.