Wii needs a mind blowing RPG!

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Abstract_Choas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Abstract_Choas
Member since 2008 • 466 Posts
Like on par with Oblivion... I know that games like that can not be sinply wished out of no where, but Ever since i bought the wii I have been itching for a kick ass RPG...
alwaysdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 alwaysdeath
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts

*dreams of intuitive controls and open-ended gameplay*

One can hope.

princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts
You are definitely right. I am a bit surprised that there hasn't been a real RPG out on the Wii yet. I guess when you think about it it makes sense because the console is geared more towards the casual game players and apparently they don't play games. Whatever the case may be it would be nice to play an RPG on the Wii
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

I wondering where the RPG's are too.
I hope the Wii dosen't have as skimpy an RPG selection as the GC had...and the N64.
Man, I just thought of that: Nintendo's been really dry on RPG's since 2 gens ago.
Hopefully that changes this time, but I'm starting to get worried.

Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts

ToS2 looks very promising.

Here's another vid also

bbtcbbtc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bbtcbbtc
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts

agreed, they do need to come out with some more

blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blueydwlf
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts
I totally agree. RPGs are my favorite genre and Im also a little worried about the lack of serious RPGs on Wii.
enigmaticme704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 enigmaticme704
Member since 2005 • 222 Posts
I agree, Dawn of the New World looks great. Do you think they'll try to bring back some of the more popular RPG franchises on the Wii? Frankly, it doesn't look too promising so far. Sure a Crystal Chronicles sequel might be cool, but it's not a hardcore RPG in my book by any means.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

ToS2 looks very promising.

Here's another vid also

Jakendo

Emil sounds a little like Sasuke

roll450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 roll450
Member since 2006 • 4113 Posts
Well lets just hope that Square Enix can make a really good RPG for the wii.
Avatar image for luigismansion101
luigismansion101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 luigismansion101
Member since 2003 • 733 Posts
tales will be great, i'd like a sequel to baten kaitos though, i loved the first one. FFCC is an ok game and the sequel should be pretty good, but not amazing. an oblivion-esque game on the wii would be amazing though.
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jakendo

I agree, Dawn of the New World looks great. Do you think they'll try to bring back some of the more popular RPG franchises on the Wii? Frankly, it doesn't look too promising so far. Sure a Crystal Chronicles sequel might be cool, but it's not a hardcore RPG in my book by any means.enigmaticme704

But FFCC: Crystal Bearers look so cool!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34719 Posts

[QUOTE="enigmaticme704"]I agree, Dawn of the New World looks great. Do you think they'll try to bring back some of the more popular RPG franchises on the Wii? Frankly, it doesn't look too promising so far. Sure a Crystal Chronicles sequel might be cool, but it's not a hardcore RPG in my book by any means.Jakendo

FFCC looks awesome. By the way, is there any info on controls for ToS2?

doddjr27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 doddjr27
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
that would be great
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jakendo
[QUOTE="Jakendo"]

[QUOTE="enigmaticme704"]I agree, Dawn of the New World looks great. Do you think they'll try to bring back some of the more popular RPG franchises on the Wii? Frankly, it doesn't look too promising so far. Sure a Crystal Chronicles sequel might be cool, but it's not a hardcore RPG in my book by any means.Litchie

FFCC looks awesome. By the way, is there any info on controls for ToS2?

From a Nintendo Power interview:

"We didn't want to make this a game where you mindlessly wave the Wii remote. We want to make sure that its's a true Tales game, and since the Tales series is known for its battle system, we worried that incorporating a lot of motion control would dumb down the experience. That's why we decided to limit it primarily to activating shortcuts in ways that would not obstruct traditional Tales combat."

They go on to say that they will still use the Wii remote for other things like map navigation.
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

I've been playing RPGs since NES and only two have ever been 'mind-blowing', in my opinion.

What type of RPG are you looking for? compare elements to other games you like.

Also, I've seen a few people throw the phrase 'real rpg' or 'serious rpg' around. Someone mind explaining to me what makes an RPG 'un-real'? or maybe just an example?

rexCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 rexCo
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts
I know it's not a traditional RPG, nor is it as great story/character wise as it's predecessor, but Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn was great.

But I do agree, great traditional RPGs haven't been flowing onto consoles for years now.

Anybody wanna see a 3D Golden Sun?
blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blueydwlf

I've been playing RPGs since NES and only two have ever been 'mind-blowing', in my opinion.

What type of RPG are you looking for? compare elements to other games you like.

Also, I've seen a few people throw the phrase 'real rpg' or 'serious rpg' around. Someone mind explaining to me what makes an RPG 'un-real'? or maybe just an example?

Hells_Hammer

RPGs that are dumbed down or over simplified or just poorly designed. Also in my opinion action RPGs are not true RPGs. Dont get me wrong I like them but to me games like Crystal Chronicles(action rpgs) just arent as good as the core Final Fantasy games.

Lunar52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 Lunar52
Member since 2006 • 2538 Posts
It's called Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
I'm not a hardcore RPG person but I'm hoping that FFCC: Crystal Bearers will be mind blowing, its been in developement long enough. To me Zelda TP was mindblowing :)
Popadophalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Popadophalis
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts
With Square Enix fully on the Wii bandwagon and the Wii selling phenominally well in Japan I think it's safe to expect some serious JRPG support in the coming years as for WRPGs? Bleh
Nickster_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nickster_11
Member since 2006 • 279 Posts
i want a good rpg too. TOS2 looks good but not mind-blowing. i hope the wii gets one soon. and i hope its not a crappy turn-based game
enigmaticme704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enigmaticme704
Member since 2005 • 222 Posts
I didn't mean to say the Crystal Bearers looked bad, by any means. I'm actually very excited about that game, but it's not exactly what I was hoping for. 3D Golden Sun sounds like a good idea to me.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 umcommon
Crystal Bearers better be incredible, its been in developement for over 2 years now.
HALCONAZUL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HALCONAZUL
Member since 2004 • 3605 Posts
i agree the only one eith now is Fire Emblem RD, i love it, but ill love something like Blue Dragon, im more in turn based than button slashing RPG's
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#26 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Keep dreaming. This platform was made for the casual gamer.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
that was oddly... un-specfic i was expecting more
blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blueydwlf

Crystal Bearers better be incredible, its been in developement for over 2 years now.umcommon

Acctually I think they put development for Crystal Bearers on hold for the Little king Wii Ware game so they may not be as far along on it as we think. That might be why we have seen almost nothing about it for so long, which is sad because Im looking really forward to it.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18258 Posts

I cant wait for ToS2, i loved the first one and i really want to play this too.

But if we talk about Nintendo's RPGs, it would be great a new Golden Sun or a new Earthbound,

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Keep dreaming. This platform was made for the casual gamer.vashkey

That doesn't stop Tales of Symphonia 2 from existing now, does it?

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
I didn't mean to say the Crystal Bearers looked bad, by any means. I'm actually very excited about that game, but it's not exactly what I was hoping for. 3D Golden Sun sounds like a good idea to me. enigmaticme704
well camelot has said in an interview before that they want their company to be known as an rpg developer(yeah right....), as for other RPGs nintendo owns Monolith now and level 5 has been in good terms with nintendo as of late.......the best thing we can do right now is wait......and uhm, for what its worth Square Enix STILL hasnt announced KH3 yet....I wonder why.............
SeanN003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 SeanN003
Member since 2007 • 468 Posts
I think all consoles atm are lacking RPGs, but the Wii is lacking the most, unfortunatly. I'd be happy if some game came under everyone's radar and end up being "mind blowing".
xchurchillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xchurchillx
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

If they do make one it better not be some japaneses game with anime graphics.

ShadownheroJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ShadownheroJoe
Member since 2008 • 102 Posts

xchurchillx
Baww
Cheazie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cheazie
Member since 2008 • 447 Posts

Breath of Fire would be awesome. Goeman aswell.

That looks quite decent.

xchurchillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xchurchillx
[QUOTE="xchurchillx"]

ShadownheroJoe

Baww

I can absolutely not stand JRPGs. The stories seem like they were thought up by someone who was on heroine crack and opium all at the same time. They usually make absolutely no sense. You just walk around trying to figure out what to do while being ambushed in random encounters over and over. The combat is usually turn based and absolutely boring. There is almost no skill involved. How good you are depends so much on what level you are and not on how good you actually are at the game.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18258 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadownheroJoe"][QUOTE="xchurchillx"]

xchurchillx

Baww

I can absolutely not stand JRPGs. The stories seem like they were thought up by someone who was on heroine crack and opium all at the same time. They usually make absolutely no sense. You just walk around trying to figure out what to do while being ambushed in random encounters over and over. The combat is usually turn based and absolutely boring. There is almost no skill involved. How good you are depends so much on what level you are and not on how good you actually are at the game.

Do you realize that the best RPGs in the story of videogames are JRPGs right? (FFIV,VII,VIII,XII,Crono Trigger,Tales of...,etc) of course we have Diablo and all, but the essence of an RPG will always be in those early nes turn based games.

parksits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 parksits
Member since 2005 • 1037 Posts

topics like this make me sad because i realize how much ive been missing good rpgs

Will there ever be another game even on par with FF6 or 7, or even tales of symphonia?!?!(im sure ToS:2 will be amazing)

Cheezy-Beezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Cheezy-Beezy
Member since 2007 • 1329 Posts
ToS & FF will do it for me ToS is propally going to be one of my favorites for the wii im going to enjoy it more then SMG
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Maybe Fresh Games and Prokion will join the Wii bandwagon and bring us great titles such as Legend of Legaia 3. Sega's already on it so maybe we'll get a Phantasy Star Online soon. Oh, and for Atlus fans, I might have seen a new Shin Megami Tensei/Persona coming out for the wii.
Abstract_Choas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Abstract_Choas
Member since 2008 • 466 Posts

I know it's not a traditional RPG, nor is it as great story/character wise as it's predecessor, but Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn was great.

But I do agree, great traditional RPGs haven't been flowing onto consoles for years now.

Anybody wanna see a 3D Golden Sun?rexCo

Now a 3D golden sun would be an amazing game, and I think that it would attract a lot of interest. Seems like a very workable prospect.

alwaysdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 alwaysdeath
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts

[QUOTE="rexCo"]I know it's not a traditional RPG, nor is it as great story/character wise as it's predecessor, but Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn was great.

Anybody wanna see a 3D Golden Sun?Abstract_Choas

Now a 3D golden sun would be an amazing game, and I think that it would attract a lot of interest. Seems like a very workable prospect.

If they made a 3D Golden Sun, I wouldn't be able to play it due to coma from sheer joy.

However, I am comtempt with FF:CC Crystal Bearers. I loved the first one (and it had a final boss worthy of FF), and with the Wii's controls, who knows.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
We need an RPG with a hole bunch of Nintendo characters (between 50-55) and 100 levels with a Boss at levels 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100.
gamecubeown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gamecubeown
Member since 2007 • 327 Posts
A free RPG-MMO would great
xchurchillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xchurchillx
[QUOTE="xchurchillx"][QUOTE="ShadownheroJoe"][QUOTE="xchurchillx"]

madsnakehhh

Baww

All of those games you named are slow-paced and boring. Turn-based games fail unless they are tactical like final fantasy tactis and fire emblem.

Do you realize that the best RPGs in the story of videogames are JRPGs right? (FFIV,VII,VIII,XII,Crono Trigger,Tales of...,etc) of course we have Diablo and all, but the essence of an RPG will always be in those early nes turn based games.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

madsnakehhh

Baww

Wrong. True RPGs are those of DnD games. FF games aren't even really true RPGs. KOTOR series, The Witcher, NWN series are some of the true RPGs where you are trule role-playing. However, I agree FF games had great stories. I loved FF IV.

Lunar52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#47 Lunar52
Member since 2006 • 2538 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkey"]Keep dreaming. This platform was made for the casual gamer.Erebyssial

That doesn't stop Tales of Symphonia 2 from existing now, does it?

I totally agree with you. TOS is one of my favorite games of all time so I AM Pshyced for Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

madsnakehhh

Baww

I also totally agree with you.
Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
A killer RPG, yes, but not along the lines of Oblivion. I want a Japanese-style RPG.
enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 enduin
Member since 2003 • 1364 Posts

I have high hopes for FFCC:TCB, definitely hope SE is using MLAK as the casual product with TCB as the hardcore one with a real storyline and deep gameplay.

I also pray that with Nintendo acquiring Monolith Soft they also got Baten Kaitos and have BK3 under development cause that was one of the best RPG series of last gen.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 umcommon

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26222.html

I almost forgot about this game.