Why the hate for PH?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

With the talk and excitment growing for ST is growing, but the hate for the first PH is back again so I have to ask why all the hate?:question:

I didn't mind the temple of the ocean king, or the length, or the controls. What do you guys think?

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

People really only hated doing the temple a million times, and sailing around. Some people hated the controls.

Personally, I didn't mind any of that stuff, so I loved the game.

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts

People really only hated doing the temple a million times, and sailing around. Some people hated the controls.

awssk8er716

I'm with awssk8er716,the game was enjoyable and i'm also looking forward to Spirit Tracks.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

People found the Ocean Temple very annoying and repetitive.

Others found it way too easy.

I personally loved it. :P

alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts

Generally enjoyable but some of the sailing and timed stuff was a PAIN.

There's a lot of Zelda games that have been a blast from start to finish and this was not one of them.

I still really enjoyed it though, some parts in paticuar were really awesome.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The Temple did get on my nerves sometimes, but I have come to enjoy it alright and the controls were pure genius! The things that hurt this game the mostwere that the sailing was not enjoyable at all as opposed to Wind Waker's andthe world was just miniscule. There was almost nothing to explore as opposed to pretty much every other zelda game out there. It's still a fine game, but nowhere near any of the other Zelda games in my opinion

virus1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 virus1000
Member since 2009 • 10187 Posts

I liked PH :D

Not as good as console Zeldas but still good :)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
the temple of the ocean king was bearable. my only issues with it are 1- they made sailing really boring, unlike wind waker's sailing, which i would spend hours just roaming around and 2- the game's less than 10 hours long and has very few sidequests.
kILLsWITCH913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kILLsWITCH913
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts

I loved Wind Waker on the GC which is why I loved PH. I enjoyed the sailing and the music. The game is one of my favorites on the DS.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#11 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Phantom Hourglass was pretty awesome despite the Temple of The Ocean King and the fact that the sailing was much worse than Wind Waker's which I loved. Aside from that the controls were fantastic and so were the bosses, probably my favorite ones of the entire Zelda series.

CanderD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CanderD
Member since 2006 • 131 Posts

I really can't pin down exactly why I didn't like the controls of PH, they just didn't feel right to me. I loved a lot of the things that it did besides the controls, but not enough to push me to finish it. The pacing of the game was a bit off now that I think back to it. Give me any other Zelda game, and it would be difficult for me to put down the controller from start to finish... let's hope ST doesn't disappoint.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

sailing was a lot more boring in PH but... it was so much faster and easier to do. I hated having to play the song of storms to change direction in wind waker. Even though it was more interesting.

chinygurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chinygurl
Member since 2008 • 623 Posts
Personally I thought it was on OK game. I played it like 3 or 4 times already! But it was way to easy
Avatar image for oxygenis4losers
oxygenis4losers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 oxygenis4losers
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

I liked PH :D

Not as good as console Zeldas but still good :)

virus1000

Personally, I've always preferred the handheld zelda's, ever since oracle of ages/seasons.

criscamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 criscamino
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

I liked it, but didn't love it. I can't believe the number of people who preferred the sailing in WW - it drove me crazy playing that stupid song to redirect the wind all the sodding time. Aargh.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

It was a good game. The first player mode was alright, but the Ocean temple could be a pain at times, and sailing could get boring, as well, especially when you always accidentally run into that lady that would fight you each time...

I had a blast with the online play, though. :P

oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

It was a solid game but it had some problems:

- It was way too easy and was probably a little short.

- Overused touchscreen controls. I don't see why they didn't just use the d-pad for movement and the touchscreen for swordplay only. I have to admit though some touchscreen elements were very clever.

- Ocean temple repetitiveness

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts

I really liked it, but I agree with Pikminmaniac that it needs more explorable areas, and less repeating of Temple of the Ocean King.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#20 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

I personally enjoyed it, although not as much as the console Zelda's. Granted, going back to the Ocean Palace every so often did get a bit old, but I understood that. Hopefully ST will be even better.

JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

It's my favorite game I never finished. I really loved it while playing it but after a while I just refused to finish the Temple of the Ocean King. My hopes for Spirit Tracks are very high though. I'm hoping it scores a 9.5 here.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

I disliked the controls but it's my favorite Zelda game. The sailing is fun, and I didn't care about going back to the temple.

San_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 San_09
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

TriniPlayer

I'm with awssk8er716,the game was enjoyable and i'm also looking forward to Spirit Tracks.

Same.

Problems with the game were the easy difficulty. Not surprised though, all Zeldas have become ridiculously easy since Majora's Mask/ Ocarina of time.

Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Barbie_Boy
Member since 2009 • 667 Posts

was the worst zelda game I ever played but I still liked it... just not that much

when I played it I just couldnt stop thinking of other better zelda games that I could play.
the story was kinda bad (even for a zelda game) the weapons was kinda boring and the returning temple + sailing can **** OFF!

but probably my biggest beef is that I miss over topp looking zelda games.
dont get me wrong I dont mind 3D zelda games and I dont mind if the do some to hand held but I kidna miss a new over the topp zelda games, the latest one I remember was a REMAKE on the advance. why can over the topp and 3D coexist? both have their own charm.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

It was way too short. If it was harder the length might not have mattered that much but there was never a point I was stumped. A lot of the graphics were bland and flat, and the only time they really shined were during the close-up sequences like the cut-scenes and most boss battles.

The music was either forgettable or re-used tracks, the didn't even use the awesome Dark World remix from the first trailer.

The dungeons were really linear and even the last dungeon in the game felt like it could've been a third dungeon or even a really big opening dungeon in the other Zelda games. I was also a bit disappointed with the multi-player, it would've been nice if there was an emphasis on teamwork like four swords but I wasn't expecting much with PH in terms of multi-player.

The game was actually better than the sum of its parts though. It controlled really well and it used both screens in some interesting ways. Having the map on at all times was really useful and even though I didn't use it all that much, the few times I was carefully drawing out things really added a lot to the whole feel of the game. Looking forward to Spirit Tracks, hopefully it'll fix all the issues with PH.