Why is the Wii a Runaway Success?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamertushar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamertushar123
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts

Did it ever occur to you? With half the processing power and not even near the graphics quality of the two HD-powerhouses, Xbox 360 and PS3, how did the Wii become such a tremendous success? It isn't exactly next-generation or output high-definition graphics nor does it (yet) have online multiplayer support. So why does it keep outselling the PS3 and Xbox 360?

It's previous console, the GameCube was not exactly a success. Now, what did Nintendo do right which saved it from the brink of extinction? The answer is, quite simple - while Sony and Microsoft are battling in a saturated market (the hardcore gamers) - the Wii has targeted a very large (and different) audience - causal players.

The number of causal players exceed the hardcore group by a mile. These aren't the type of guys or gals that will nag about the graphics, sound or gameplay. The raging battle between Sony's PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 doesn't matter to them. What they want is simple, fun and easy to pick-up-and-play type of games. And that's what Nintendo has offered.

Nintendo has played their cards right this time. By tapping into such a huge market with a relatively inexpensive console is the key to their success. And add their long-standing Mario franchise to the Wii Remote and Nunchuck controller, and you have a formula for success.

Indeed, Microsoft (and Sony too) has realised the potential of casual gamers. I would say that Xbox Live Arcade and the Xbox 360 Arcade is a step forward in the right direction. Many third party game developers are also shifting their attention to make causal games.

The causal games market is yet untapped and makes more sense from the developer's point of view. Next-generation games require a ton of investment and time to produce. While anyone with a few basic skills and effort can make a Xbox Arcade game in weeks.

That is not to say that we hardocre gamers are a minority. I can safely say that we are major segment. But it seems that casual gamers are a more profitable lot - and Nintendo's Wii prove that point.

##########################################################################################

SIDENOTE

This is not spam. It's just a blog entry on my videogames blog that got featured a couple of times and thought I would share it with you.

##########################################################################################

Moderator note: Links removed. Advertising your personal site is not allowed in the main forums.

lilrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 lilrush
Member since 2005 • 1695 Posts

Cheap and more people are able to play it due to its motion nature...like can you really imagine a 6 year old playing PS3? no...but a 5 year old can swing a wii mote around.

Not to mention more appeal to a wider range of people..... young, old, etc....it just looks fun.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts

A few things to edit in your somewhat dated speech.

The wii hs online

GC was a success

We have found that there are more hardcores on Wii but the key is that there are way more non gamers comparatively to the other consoles

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts

A few things to edit in your somewhat dated speech.

The wii hs online

GC was a success

We have found that there are more people who had a console last gen than not on Wii but the key is that there are way more non gamers comparatively to the other consoles

Cyber-
FIXED... the whole "hardcore" means too many things to too many different people... better to talk in terms of things that are solid rather than subjective.
Retrophan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Retrophan
Member since 2008 • 44 Posts
Dated and obvious. No offense, but this looks like an attempt to increase the views for your blog entry and that site.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts
The Wii is a Runaway Success because you don't need a $5,000 gaming setup to enjoy it.
timmy-boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 timmy-boy
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts
The wii is just well more accessible ,i know 2 people who would never touch a console but they bought a wii and love it.They said they would play mario vs sonic Olympics instead of gta4 just because its fun and it keeps you active.Also a bonus for them is that they are only intrested in sports games but when i put them on smg, they bought it and now are looking into buying twilight princess so i think that the wii maybe atracting casual gamers to play games like mp3 and they were not bad at the hard games so i think the wii has a good future .Just because the wii doesn't have games like metal gear solid it still has alot of secrets and ive only just battalion wars 2 and moh heroes 2 and i having a blast and am not really worried if brawl gets delayed.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts
Millions of people played Wii Bowling and said, "this is really cool."
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#9 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Millions of people played Wii Bowling and said, "this is really cool."aransom

Exactly

Wiiingssbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Wiiingssbb
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts
People like innovative and new ways to have fun with each other. :D
Zapoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Zapoo
Member since 2003 • 156 Posts
i sure as hell hope my wii doesn't runaway on me
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Good, but this should be in your blog.
General_Diablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 General_Diablo
Member since 2008 • 566 Posts
i think wii is such a great counsel because it appeals to everyone...... the non hardcore gamers love it and the hard core gamers, play it the first time (most of the time playin wii sports), buy it think it will be awesome, get wii-sported out, then look back and wish they would have got a 360. Nintendo doesnt care though.... that is money in the bank.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cyber-

you dont understand it does have online. Not "yet"

There are several games with actual online servers. Theres even a gamewith 32 players in it.

Steven_Beynon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 Steven_Beynon
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts
No, the Wii I beleive is a fad. A wasteland for
"gamers games" Wii Sports is great, but I wish their were more than three games coming out this year.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cyber-

"gamers games" Wii Sports is great, but I wish their were more than three games coming out this year.
Steven_Beynon

I am sorry to say but if thats what you really think then your an uninformed noob. If you honestly think there are 3 games coming out this year then you dont know what your talking about.

Avatar image for DaLegendKilla92
DaLegendKilla92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaLegendKilla92
Member since 2007 • 919 Posts
Steven_Beynon
And which 3 games are these? I can tell you 3 times as many right now.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts
Steven_Beynon
People have been saying the Wii is just a fad ever since it launched. How long does something have to be sold out for it to not be a fad?
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cyber-
what part of wii have online do you not get lol jk
gamertushar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamertushar123
I just don't know why, but I think I'm going to get a Wii in addition to the Xbox 360 that I have. I think the motion sensing control and the fun gameplay mechanics are what appeals to me the most. And let's not forget the quick pick-up-and-play game style.
Steven_Beynon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Steven_Beynon

My three games for Wii.

Smash, Kart, and... I really don't know. Maybe an Animal Crossing. Yes, I beelive the Wii will continue to sell hardware, but will continue to suffer on software. I can't imagine the Wii continuing it's astonishing mainstreme sucess as the current generation grows older.

Watermelon4372

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Watermelon4372
Member since 2007 • 383 Posts
One word: Brawl
Steven_Beynon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Steven_Beynon
Yea, and one game shouldn't carry a system. I love smash bros, but I want more than just brawl.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Steven_Beynon

Three big FIRST PARTY GAMES perhaps. However, looking at the third party arena, we have (all exclusives) Monster Hunter 3, Fatal Frame 4, FFCC: CB (FFCC INO), Mushroom Men, and King Story just to name a few.

Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

[QUOTE="Steven_Beynon"]No, the Wii I beleive is a fad. A wasteland for
aransom
People have been saying the Wii is just a fad ever since it launched. How long does something have to be sold out for it to not be a fad?

Sliced bread is a fad.

Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

Yea, and one game shouldn't carry a system. I love smash bros, but I want more than just brawl. Steven_Beynon

Halo.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11997 Posts
I think it's really about the Backwards Compatibility and the VC. I own about 15 VC games and 2 Wii games, oh yeah and three GC games.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cyber-

My three games for Wii.

Smash, Kart, and... I really don't know. Maybe an Animal Crossing. Yes, I beelive the Wii will continue to sell hardware, but will continue to suffer on software. I can't imagine the Wii continuing it's astonishing mainstreme sucess as the current generation grows older.

Steven_Beynon

well i rest my case you obviously know nothing if you think those are the only games

Also Topic Starter the Wii has online.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Causal and Casual, just to corrent your post are two different words. Just wanted to point that out in case you use that excerpt somewhere else.

Well yeah this is conclusive in Wii's audience. Casual gamer's aren't threatened by the complicated controls because the Wii uses motion sensors.

The Wii is also a lot more sleak than the other 2 consoles, and offers some simplistic but excellent features. The photo channel is actually fantastic and I use it quite often. Not to mention the weather, news and internet channels.

The VC was a great idea.

So while the other 2 companies fight for position on the media center, the Wii does what it was supposed to do.. game. And by offering complex enough controls for hardcore's and hardcore titles, the simplicity that the Wiimote offers makes it easy for non-gamers to jump in.

I've been gaming since the NES, and my mom for the first time EVER actually picked up a gaming controller and tried thanks to Wii Sports Tennis. That's why the Wii is selling.

gamertushar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gamertushar123

Causal and Casual, just to corrent your post are two different words. Just wanted to point that out in case you use that excerpt somewhere else.

sonic_spark

Hey thanks for pointing that out for me. I did mean casual and NOT causal - just a typo - and three times too! :oops:

Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

*Looks at topic title*

I don't know, it ain't got no legs

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cyber-

THE WII HAS ONLINE

nintendofreak6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nintendofreak6
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts
the gameplay of it and virtual console some people are still into that stuff
Steven_Beynon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Steven_Beynon

THE WII HAS ONLINE

Cyber-

Doesnt use it much

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cyber-
[QUOTE="Cyber-"]

THE WII HAS ONLINE

Steven_Beynon

Doesnt use it much

i suggest not humiliating yourself further

Steven_Beynon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Steven_Beynon
Ok, hwo often does it implement its online? MOH, and vitual Console, Strikers, and Brawl. What else?
Steven_Beynon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Steven_Beynon

Cyber,

Why is it you gave most games a 10, or 1? yOU SHOULD BE A LITTLE MORE REASONABLE WITH REVIEWS. Unless you can back up your opinion

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cyber-

Cyber,

Why is it you gave most games a 10, or 1? yOU SHOULD BE A LITTLE MORE REASONABLE WITH REVIEWS. Unless you can back up your opinion

Steven_Beynon

dont talk to me about reason in your head wii has three games coming out besides that my little brother does them and hes just a kid.

The Wii has online whether you want to discount it or not. Its growing and growing faster than most give it credit.

Steven_Beynon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Steven_Beynon
im talking about the future not the present
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cyber-

im talking about the future not the presentSteven_Beynon

in terms of the number of games? Your still wrong there are way more than 3 games? In the future the line up is growing.

in terms of online? MK Wii and SSBB have Xbox Live like polish.

Steven_Beynon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Steven_Beynon
So thrree Wii games beat out a service which the all games have online features?
Avatar image for Diiscubecolorbo
Diiscubecolorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Diiscubecolorbo
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts
It is online....
Mr-Silter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mr-Silter
Member since 2007 • 248 Posts
hardcore just menas more m games
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cyber-

So thrree Wii games beat out a service which the all games have online features? Steven_Beynon

english please

Also I dont know where your getting this but there are WAY more than 3 games to play on the Wii. Your just making yourself look like an ignorant fanboy more so than we all thought before.

Steven_Beynon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Steven_Beynon
I said the Wii is very limeted online, yes it has it but it's not exployted enough. A handful of decent titles, and Smash doesn't create a a good online service. PS3, and 360 have a better service, all game support online to some degree. I love the Wii just the lack of (I didn't literally mean three) triple A titles compared to other platforms hold it back. It has fantastic games, just not enough. It has online, but not to the degree as say the 360 which has a unified community, and doesn't rely on friend codes. Also the PS3 and 360 have voice chat. I know it's coming for the Wii, but I think it's weird voice chat wasen't standard. The fact the Wii doesnt have online names, downloadable content, ect. Just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever in an online sence. However, I will be first in line for Brawl.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cyber-

I said the Wii is very limeted online, yes it has it but it's not exployted enough. A handful of decent titles, and Smash doesn't create a a good online service. PS3, and 360 have a better service, all game support online to some degree. I love the Wii just the lack of (I didn't literally mean three) triple A titles compared to other platforms hold it back. It has fantastic games, just not enough. It has online, but not to the degree as say the 360 which has a unified community, and doesn't rely on friend codes. Also the PS3 and 360 have voice chat. I know it's coming for the Wii, but I think it's weird voice chat wasen't standard. The fact the Wii doesnt have online names, downloadable content, ect. Just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever in an online sence. However, I will be first in line for Brawl. Steven_Beynon

See thats where your wrong. People can merely say the Wii has less games but thats just a general term that lacks proof.

Wii definitely has mor egames to play than the PS3 and its questionable with the 360 which happens to have been out for a year more.

Online is not as good yes, but every console has advantages over the other. It doesnt mean Wii does not have online and that its not good. its still good and its new on the system and growing. Wii has way better back cataloge and way better adventure games. And so on there are advanatages to every console. That doesnt mean you can lie and say there are 3 games (now a handful according to you your story keeps chaning) and claim victory for your favorite little system.

I suggest you think more before you press enter.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

[QUOTE="Steven_Beynon"]Yea, and one game shouldn't carry a system. I love smash bros, but I want more than just brawl. Hells_Hammer

Halo.

Gears+Cod4

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Cyber-
[QUOTE="Hells_Hammer"]

[QUOTE="Steven_Beynon"]Yea, and one game shouldn't carry a system. I love smash bros, but I want more than just brawl. zaku101

Halo.

Gears+Cod4

SMG, MP3, LoZ: TP, RE4, NMH

btw it doesnt always have to be shooters