Why is it that when trying to give us a mature game, companies do the opposite?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 0

#51 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts
I couldn't agree more- Madworld is one of the least mature games I've ever seen. Horribly raunchy commentary on top of all that gore- immature. I'd like a game with a good story- so far Twilight Princess is the only game on Wii that has fulfilled that need. The conduit looks promising, though.
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

I'm getting a little confused by everyone's definition of maturity, but I consider MadWorld to be immature because the violence appears to be self serving. The gore isn't a means to an end, it is the end - violence for the sake of violence. It may still be fun, but it doesn't interest me.

As to the original question, I would wager that most developers of self proclaimed 'mature' games are really trying to market to a teenage audience that is still trying to define what mature means to them. I think that audience is more interested in new and exciting experiences, rather than what an adult might consider to be mature.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
Read between the lines. I think it's perfectly clear.psychobrew
So clear nobody in this thread is 100% sure of his definition? You're right, that's as clear as cake.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

So until the TC explains himself, there's nothing to talk about... AlexSays

I'll rephrase the question then, just for discussion's sake, not meaning any insult to the TC or implying that this is necessarily what he was trying to say (though I think it probably is.)

REPHRASE:

As we all know, the Wii's library is full of shovelware such as the Petz games. We don't like this of course, and some devs take notice and decide to attempt what they describe as a "hardcore" game that isn't like those shovelware titles.

Now, though many are succeeding on the "hardcore" front, many of them (in my opinion) failing miserably at making the games unlike these shovelware titles. Instead of making games with deep, imaginative thoughts and realistic attributes, they give us games that, though no doubt fun, are shallow and have laughable/unbelievable plots and aspects of gameplay.

Do you really consider over-the-top gore, over-the-top cursing, inclusion of hypersexualised eye candy, etc., to be something that appeals to us? Though they are no doubt enjoyable "hardcore" games, No More Heroes, Madworld, Animals De La Muerte, etc are only that, not all of what we were promised. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Discuss.

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

The games like No More Heroes and Madworld are aimed for the children who still think that's cool

Where poop jokes are the funniest things you can think of

Jaysonguy
It's sad when someone becomes too "mature" for poop jokes. It's more of an issue, for me, where developers aren't comedians and tell poor jokes with bad timing. It really doesn't matter if it's poop related or not.
TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts
Maturity and hardcoreness are two completely different subjects. If I saw a five year old decapitate ninjas and poop on them, it would be pretty hardcore, yet at the same time immature.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Skie7

For a general idea, go out and do a poll at your local mall. Ask if someone would rather play madworld or Mario. I bet that the majority of the teens would say Madworld and the majority of adults would say Mario. Also, I don't really care if they're mature either. I can have just as much fun with immature games as mature ones. However, It's gotten annoying how people refer to such games as mature.Head_of_games

This doesn't have anything to do with maturity. It's simply what games the userbase, based on age demographic, is more familiar with. Even if you put the games side by side and asked which they would rather play, it's not telling as Mario has instant recognition.

Games are considered mature or not based on the ESRB. It's based on how age appropriate the content is. Sex, violence, language and drugs are considered mature whether or not the context is mature. So, it's not inaccurate at all to call these games mature especially when you consider the packaging ends up labeled with an "M for Mature".

If fact, and I hate to be a dictionary person, but that is one of the definitions of mature...

intended for or restricted to adults, esp. by reason of explicit sexual content or the inclusion of violence or obscene language

Now, maybe it'd be more accurate if games used a system closer to the MPAA as G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17, and X. It's a more familiar system which is beneficial to buyers, and it would eliminate these "mature games aren't mature" threads.

But, since mature is utilized by the ESRB and is appropriate by the very definition of the word, how about instead of complaining you simply use a more appropriate word...
sophisticated
cultured
intellectual
enlightened

I would venture that games that are sophisticated, cultured, intellectual, and/or elightening are in far fewer numbers than mature games.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
First off no such thing as a hardcore game, the term mature just like hardcore and casual has taking on a new (might I add stupid) meaning in this day and age, and a fun game is a fun game. Whether a kill in a game has you spiking guys in the head with street signs or realistically stabbing someone in the heart. If the context works within the game it is entertaining. Take a game like COD it is in no way realistic, its more realistic than say Halo but you know you don't get shot with a rocket launcher and 20 secs later your fine. Or have those big up close and personal battles that you see in the game, in real life you would be lucky to get within 100 yards before someone is shooting at you, in warfare now you most of the time you don't even know whose shooting at you. The word Mature has simply become what the ESRB says it is, blood, gore, language, sexual content, drugs etc. It doesn't mean what mature means in general life, the same way the word theory holds a completely different meaning in science than it does to the general public.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Skie7
[QUOTE="AlexSays"]

[QUOTE="bob_newman"]Saying an inanimate object is immature is wrong.bob_newman

I said the game was immature as in it appeals to an immature audience. Which it'd be more correct to say it just appeals to an immature audience. So MadWorld is a game that appeals to an immature audience.

And go look up the definition, chief. The word immature can be used to describe inanimate objects, just not in the context I used.

As for the word hardcore, that is a make-believe word with no actual definition where as immature is an actual word that be used to describe a video game - not in the context I used - so that was not a good comparison.

That was exactly my point, you were using the word "immature" improperly, just like people use the word "hardcore" improperly. That's why I made the connection between the two.

I realize that one can apply the word "immature" to a video game, but it would have nothing to do with the subject matter in the game.

English is a living language and I think the term "immature game" is acceptable whether or not a grammar Nazi would approve. It's clear what is mean by "immature game". "Hardcore game" is synonymous with "games I like" with the added implication of the person using the term attempting to elevate their gaming status to "elitist prick So, why fight the term when it works as a great flag for recognizing idiots?
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Skie7
Maturity and hardcoreness are two completely different subjects. If I saw a five year old decapitate ninjas and poop on them, it would be pretty hardcore, yet at the same time immature.TheSmitto
I'd like to see that on YouTube. Now to clarify... Are you talking about a five year-old playing a game where they decapitate ninjas and poop on them? Are you talking about a game where you play a five year-old who decapitates ninjas and poops on them? Or are you talking about an actual five year old decapitating ninjas and pooping on them? Regardless, all three sound like entertaining prospects to me.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I'd say this is probably the best comment I've seen so far:

The difference between a mature game like say, Gears of War, and a mature game like No More Heroes or Madworld is that the latter group is self-aware that they have a childish take on the violence, where Gears of War (sorry Gears of War fans, just using it as an example) has a childish take on violence in order to look genuinely cool. In an ironic twist this in turn makes the latter group more cool. In a contest between big burly men with chainsaw weapons, the one which doesn't take itself serious is the victor._BlueDuck_

If you listen to the commentary in MadWorld, you'll recognize pretty quickly that it's basically a satire of violent entertainment. I'm wondering if the game in its entirety plays with that concept, but we'll see. No More Heroes is pretty much the same way. We can call it cultural discourse. One part of culture (books, movies, games, etc.) creatively comments on another part (or the whole), which usually incites comment back from whatever is being commented on. This has the potential for opening up good conversations about important topics, but unfortunately videogames aren't really to the point yet where this can happen on a broad scale. Critics are only expected to write basic reviews, and the mass media doesn't really care at all unless it could harm the childrens.

Argle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Argle
Member since 2008 • 571 Posts
I liked NMH because the boss battles were fun. and I dont see how ultra violence is immature, I find the over-the-top presentation of it all to be somewhat humorous at times. For the most part, the entertainment I derived from the game is in no way related to a "oooooh blood is awesome!" mentality.
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
[QUOTE="VGobbsesser"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Just like I did with No More Heroes. Well I also had to look past it being broken there. lol

Jaysonguy

No More Heroes isn't broken.

Just saying.

Please stop covering for it

The controls do not respond the way they're intended to

We've been over this, I have standards and others don't. If anyone else thinks broken is good that's fine, if you want to join that group that's fine too but stop trying to pretend that not all controls working 100% of the time is fine because it's not.

I'm speaking for the people who have standards

You have no standards at all. I mean, you like Power Pros, that game was a cheap PS2 port with almost no Wii motions added. No more Heroes was an AWESOME game. The controls were great, and any problems with the controls were due to the Wii Mote's deficiencies, and not the game itself.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
It just gets on my nerves when unintelligent people look at a MATURE game and say its for children. Well for a child, I would say "Good luck" because he's gonna need it when he's gonna buy it from a store. Games like NMH and MadWorld have violence, blood, gore, strong language, alcohol and sexual references. HOW CAN THAT BE CHILDISH? NMH has great controls (no waggle) with a great story and it is a great step in the right direction. NMH 2 would be vastly improved. Madworld cannot be judged since its not released, and come on, it had perfect hands-on. Be sensible and realistic, people.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

It just gets on my nerves when unintelligent people look at a MATURE game and say its for children. Well for a child, I would say "Good luck" because he's gonna need it when he's gonna buy it from a store. Games like NMH and MadWorld have violence, blood, gore, strong language, alcohol and sexual references. HOW CAN THAT BE CHILDISH?Pices
Think South Park. That show has very immature humor, but it's fully aware of it and does it for a specific purpose. It's still a mature show, though, because most of the time, it's commenting on some prominent social issue, sometimes in a very intelligent or simply down-to-earth kind of way. Immaturity can be presented to mature people in an appealing way if it's done correctly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

It just gets on my nerves when unintelligent people look at a MATURE game and say its for children. Well for a child, I would say "Good luck" because he's gonna need it when he's gonna buy it from a store. Games like NMH and MadWorld have violence, blood, gore, strong language, alcohol and sexual references. HOW CAN THAT BE CHILDISH? Pices

Obviously,any game with violence is automatically immature.Or at least that's what I'd assume,considering some of the comments I've seen in this thread and on this board.

Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
Then I think its safe to say that any animal with wings can breath under water.

[QUOTE="Pices"]It just gets on my nerves when unintelligent people look at a MATURE game and say its for children. Well for a child, I would say "Good luck" because he's gonna need it when he's gonna buy it from a store. Games like NMH and MadWorld have violence, blood, gore, strong language, alcohol and sexual references. HOW CAN THAT BE CHILDISH? VGobbsesser

Obviously,any game with violence is automatically immature.Or at least that's what I'd assume,considering some of the comments I've seen in this thread and on this board.

longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#68 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts
Then I think its safe to say that any animal with wings can breath under water.[QUOTE="VGobbsesser"]

[QUOTE="Pices"]It just gets on my nerves when unintelligent people look at a MATURE game and say its for children. Well for a child, I would say "Good luck" because he's gonna need it when he's gonna buy it from a store. Games like NMH and MadWorld have violence, blood, gore, strong language, alcohol and sexual references. HOW CAN THAT BE CHILDISH? Pices

i'm fairly sure he was being sarcastic.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
It just gets on my nerves when unintelligent people look at a MATURE game and say its for children. Well for a child, I would say "Good luck" because he's gonna need it when he's gonna buy it from a store. Games like NMH and MadWorld have violence, blood, gore, strong language, alcohol and sexual references. HOW CAN THAT BE CHILDISH? NMH has great controls (no waggle) with a great story and it is a great step in the right direction. NMH 2 would be vastly improved. Madworld cannot be judged since its not released, and come on, it had perfect hands-on. Be sensible and realistic, people.Pices
I never said the games where for children or not fun. I simply said they where immature, as in something liked by a bunch of stupid teens who think that all those things you listed are "cool". The games are undoubtably fun but they are most certainly not mature.
bbeastieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 bbeastieboy
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

I honestly love senseless violence and gore. Isn't that what makes games fun?

Manhunt 2 was poorly received but remains my favorite Wii game to date simply because you **** people right up with **** like bricks and syringes.

DOOM and Gears of War 2 are also favorites of mine.

I think if you're looking for something REALLY mature, you shut put your wii remote down and pick up a book with a really deep and moving plot just like you're looking for in your kiddy system.

Don't get me wrong, the Wii is fantastic and I always have fun when I play one of my 36 games for it, but I don't play video games to immerse myself in the storyline.

maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

Hmm some ppl here need sense of humour, being waay too serious. Ever thought that most games aren't actually mature - if you really want to use the actual meaning of being mature?

Being mature means you'd be stuck with driving sims -> real life, puzzle & sports games ..why? because shooting ppl or zombies is not mature, slash & fight games not mature either..even RPGs NOT mature or any of the RTS not mature.

But as a mature adult you'd know that...& realise that games like NMH, HotD Overkill is set-up that way -> sense of humour. Its SO ridiculous that it couldn't possibly be real.

Show me a list of games besides driving sims, puzzle & sports games that's actually accorsding to the meaning mature?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts
So if Kane & Lynch: Dead Men came to Wii would you consider it to be a good game just because its full of language and blood? Seriously, blood and anything else that makes a game rated M doesn't make a game any better. I'd still play fallout 3 without the blood.
longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#73 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts
[QUOTE="Pices"]It just gets on my nerves when unintelligent people look at a MATURE game and say its for children. Well for a child, I would say "Good luck" because he's gonna need it when he's gonna buy it from a store. Games like NMH and MadWorld have violence, blood, gore, strong language, alcohol and sexual references. HOW CAN THAT BE CHILDISH? NMH has great controls (no waggle) with a great story and it is a great step in the right direction. NMH 2 would be vastly improved. Madworld cannot be judged since its not released, and come on, it had perfect hands-on. Be sensible and realistic, people.Head_of_games
I never said the games where for children or not fun. I simply said they where immature, as in something liked by a bunch of stupid teens who think that all those things you listed are "cool". The games are undoubtably fun but they are most certainly not mature.

you do realize that the violence in those games is there for satire, don't you? Or do you think it is immature to read between the lines as well? Even if you are not that way as a person, you are sounding very pretentious in this thread.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Skie7

Ever thought that most games aren't actually mature - if you really want to use the actual meaning of being mature?

Being mature means you'd be stuck with driving sims -> real life, puzzle & sports games ..why? because shooting ppl or zombies is not mature, slash & fight games not mature either..even RPGs NOT mature or any of the RTS not mature.

But as a mature adult you'd know that...& realise that games like NMH, HotD Overkill is set-up that way -> sense of humour. Its SO ridiculous that it couldn't possibly be real.

Show me a list of games besides driving sims, puzzle & sports games that's actually accorsding to the meaning mature?

maxgil2
I'd really like you to include "the actual meaning of being mature", because I can think of know meaning of "mature" that fits your post. It seems to me your justification of what makes a game mature is based on whether the content is fictional. Why are only driving sims, puzzle, and sports games mature? A list of games that are mature (7).