why hasn't there a metroid game for the DS yet? hunter and pinbal don't count

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nchan
Member since 2004 • 1059 Posts

With Gameboy Advance, we have Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion. On the DS, we have two metroid games that has nothing to do with the metroid formula gameplay. What is Nintendo's reason they don't want to release a metroid game that follow the metroid gameplay formula? Zero mission and Fusion didn't sell? Is that why?

Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

With Gameboy Advance, we have Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion. On the DS, we have two metroid games that has nothing to do with the metroid formula gameplay. What is Nintendo's reason they don't want to release a metroid game that follow the metroid gameplay formula? Zero mission and Fusion didn't sell? Is that why?

nchan
I'm not sure, but I would definatly buy it if they made a game like that.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I don't see why hunters doesn't count. Nintendo hasn't been devolping the Metroid games themselves and other teams would rather work on consoles

CPUX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CPUX
Member since 2009 • 315 Posts

I don't see why hunters doesn't count. Nintendo hasn't been devolping the Metroid games themselves and other teams would rather work on consoles

Cruse34
This. If you mean 2D Metroid games, there haven't been a lot of those on any console.
HisuroKun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HisuroKun
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Because despite reality, Nintendo thinks fans want another idiotic 3D Metroid.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
Thread stater: its likely because metroid prime series was received so well,,,much better than the last set of 2D stuff. They'll get round to a true 2D one eventually.

HisuroKun
we do....they must have been the best shooters of the last and current generation
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

I wasn't a fan of Hunters, but it was made due to the success of the home console Prime games. Which makes sense. Fusion and Zero Mission just weren't popular enough, although I personally loved them. They go with what's popular, which is what every successful business does.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
pretty sure hunters count. well it's just too late now to get a new metroid on the DS, better luck next gen.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

pretty sure hunters count. well it's just too late now to get a new metroid on the DS, better luck next gen.BrunoBRS

but whymake a 2D game when your trying to sell 3D effects?

Anberlin_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Anberlin_2004
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
If Team Ninja is creating one. I'm there.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
Meh, some great DS games barely found the need for the second screen let alone the touchscreen.

HisuroKun
Yeeeeah, about that...no. The Metroid fanbase is getting to a point where they've reached Zelda fanbase levels of indecisiveness. I'd prefer 3D Metroid and get my 2D fills from Castlevania.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]pretty sure hunters count. well it's just too late now to get a new metroid on the DS, better luck next gen.Cruse34

but whymake a 2D game when your trying to sell 3D effects?

because 3D effects in 2 dimensional gameplay look just as good.
Alex_Thomson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Alex_Thomson
Member since 2010 • 313 Posts

Meh, some great DS games barely found the need for the second screen let alone the touchscreen.forgot_it

True, but I think the second screen was pretty useful in the Castlevania games for the DS, since it showed you the map/menu on one screen all the time, which is helpful in an exploration-based game with lots of areas to explore and some back-tracking required once you get new abilities to explore the previously unreachable areas, otherwise it would be a lot harder to figure out where you are and where you need to go next. I imagine if a 2-D Metroid game was made for the DS it would use the second screen in a similar way to how the Castlevania DS games used it, as a map/menu that allows you to see where you are and what skills/items your character has equipped. To answer the thread creator's question, I'm not really sure why no 2-D Metroid games were created for the DS, I loved the Castlevania games in this style on the DS and thought they made good use of the system's dual screens, so it's a shame we didn't get to experience any new 2-D Metroid games on the platform. Perhaps the issue of popularity (or lack thereof) of the Metroid Prime games vs. the "traditional" 2-D Metroid games was what made Nintendo decide to make Metroid Prime Hunters and not a 2-D Metroid game. Although that still doesn't entirely explain things, it has been a good four years since Metroid Prime Hunters was released, surely Nintendo could have made another Metroid game in that timespan and appealed to both the 3-D and 2-D Metroid crowds (and I don't think the development of Metroid: Other M during that period of time necessarily has to mean that a handheld Metroid couldn't be developed simultaneously (we see this happen with The Legend of Zelda and Mario games all the time), so I'm not sure what their reasoning was.)

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

If they remade Super Metroid for the DS I'd definitely get it.

Gezo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gezo24
Member since 2009 • 228 Posts

How does hunter not count?

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts

MPH

Its called Metroid Prime Hunters.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

[QUOTE="forgot_it"]Meh, some great DS games barely found the need for the second screen let alone the touchscreen.Alex_Thomson

Wall of text.

Oh, yah, I agree that the extra screen has some great uses. Having the full map available at all times was a blessing in Castlevania, and probably would be in a Metroid game as well. The comment was more towards the user who asked why make a 2D game when your selling point is 3D.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
Some video game franchises are better in 2D. Castlevania, Metroid, Sonic, Mario, etc. yeah thats arguable but too bad! Lets hope for some 2.5D versions of these games on the 3DS, and the depth of the 3D will be a nice addition.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Both are great games. So it shouldn't be a problem.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Because despite what total Super Metroid fanboys think, Metroid Prime is the best Metroid game of all time, and revolutionized the series by successfully taking all the classic elements of the previous games and mixing them together with FPS gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Fusion, and Super Metroid too, and I am sure there will be more sidescrolling acventure Metroid games in the future. Perhaps the 3D capabilities of the 3DS would make for an interesting Metroid game. But Metroid Prime games are fantastic, and if it weren't for Metroid Prime then the series wouldn't have enjoyed the current revitalization that it has now.

Mario_DSi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mario_DSi
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I hope the old metroid's come out for the DSi XL.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

The Pinball rules, though.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
Maybe they are saving it for 3DS???
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Yeah, I always wanted a 2D metroid game for DS. Zero Mission is one of my favorite GBA games.

Though Metroid Prime is also great, Hunters isn't even much like those games, and I didn't like it much. Pinball is nice spinoff though, lol.

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts

Gezo24
seriously! this is the only ds game i've yet to stop playing. i like the direction ninty took w/ Hunters: online multi-player!
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lazyathew

[QUOTE="Gezo24"]

red_sovereign

seriously! this is the only ds game i've yet to stop playing. i like the direction ninty took w/ Hunters: online multi-player!

It doesn't count because it's not a traditional Metroid game. It hardly has any aspects that defines a Metroid game aside from the Character and style.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BrunoBRS

It hardly has any aspects that defines a Metroid game aside from the Character and style.

lazyathew

huh. so i guess having a similar styIe and starring the same character in the same world doesn't make it valid. face it, hunters is as valid as any other metroid game. the only one i'd understand if you complained about "not being a traditional metroid game" would be pinball.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lazyathew

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

It hardly has any aspects that defines a Metroid game aside from the Character and style.

BrunoBRS

huh. so i guess having a similar styIe and starring the same character in the same world doesn't make it valid. face it, hunters is as valid as any other metroid game. the only one i'd understand if you complained about "not being a traditional metroid game" would be pinball.

It didn't have the same level of exploration and collecting power ups the Metroid series is known for.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

lazyathew

It didn't have the same level of exploration and collecting power ups the Metroid series is known for.

It's kind of like comparing a Mario platformer to a Mario sports game. It stars the same characters, it has a similar style and exists in the same universe. But they clearly have a different feel. And I know that the games in my example are far more different than Hunters and other Metroid games, but the same logic applies. Although it really depends on what you consider to be the defining qualities of a Metroid game.

Obviously, the game is a Metroid game since it has Metroid in the title. Just like Mario Kart is clearly a Mario game. But where do you draw the lineof what counts and what doens't when someone asks you to recommend a game from that series? If someone asks for a Mario game, would you recommend Mario Tennis? You would probably only include platformers unless he asked for a Mario sports game. But where the line is drawn varies from person to person. So Bruno, try to be a bit more respectful. I myself only include Hunters in the category of spin-off Metroid games, just like Metroid Pinball.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Some people came into the Metroid games via "Metroid Prime", which to those of us who had been breaking our thumbs on the original titles looked about as "correct" as the 3D treatments of "Castlevania", or in the case of Mario, going from "Mario Bros 3" to "Mario N64" - suddenly it's abut a 3D world instead of a 2D world. I went on to play "Prime" and have elected it as possibly my favorite video game of all time, but at first, the treatment seemed anathema to the series.

I understand where the OP doesn't consider "Hunters" to be truly in the pantheon, and I see the point of saying "well, why not?"

It all depends on when you came to the series... I hate it when people say RE4 is a more "Resident Evil" game than the first one... to me, it makes no sense and I think they're being short-sighted, but I guess you gotta respect other gamers' views at times. I classify "Hunters" in the "Prime" universe and not in the original Metroid. Agree to disagree, everyone.

And "Hunters" was dung. Either way.

:lol:

WingEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WingEye
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Nintendo needs to take some pointers from Konami and the Castlevania series and realize that some games are better in 2D.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tropictrain

Some people came into the Metroid games via "Metroid Prime", which to those of us who had been breaking our thumbs on the original titles looked about as "correct" as the 3D treatments of "Castlevania", or in the case of Mario, going from "Mario Bros 3" to "Mario N64" - suddenly it's abut a 3D world instead of a 2D world. I went on to play "Prime" and have elected it as possibly my favorite video game of all time, but at first, the treatment seemed anathema to the series.

I understand where the OP doesn't consider "Hunters" to be truly in the pantheon, and I see the point of saying "well, why not?"

It all depends on when you came to the series... I hate it when people say RE4 is a more "Resident Evil" game than the first one... to me, it makes no sense and I think they're being short-sighted, but I guess you gotta respect other gamers' views at times. I classify "Hunters" in the "Prime" universe and not in the original Metroid. Agree to disagree, everyone.

And "Hunters" was dung. Either way.

:lol:

MonkeySpot

That was pretty much the point of my last post really. Not sure how well the message came across, I was on my way out the door when I posted it, so it was a bit rushed. :P I'm not really arguing whether Hunters should be counted or not, only that each view makes sense. What prompted the post was that Bruno was simply being rude and ignorant of opposing view points. Saying that people should "face it" and accept his opinion. Like I said, everyone draws the line at a different place. And we should respect that we each view the franchise in a different way.

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts

i know some are VERY finicky when it comes to metroid, but hunters feels just as genuine as an of the prime games to me. the multi-player was executed marvelously and you still had the adventuring the old school gamers were accustomed to...BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. in fact, where the hell is HUNTERS 2:P