Why doesnt NSMBW support the classic controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

muscle_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 muscle_shark
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

Who is the genius who thought of the idea not to include classic controller support? Seriously...

Playing with the wiimote turned sideways gets uncomfortable after a while.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

No kidding. Or even the GC controller. Now I have to go and buy a 4th remote.

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
would you all like some cheese with your whine? Seriously, why would a NEW game for the Wii use a Gamecube controller? this isn't New Super Mario Brothers GameCube
jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

I think it's because of the motion controls you have to do to perform some actions, although those could easily be mapped toa button

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Because playing with the Wiimote on its side like an NES pad is, well, clasic-esque in itself

So CC is not needed

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

its the motion controls dude. I think the better question is why havent we got a shell that goes over the wiimote that makes it comfy to hold when you hold it with two hands.

Wiishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wiishy
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts

would you all like some cheese with your whine? Seriously, why would a NEW game for the Wii use a Gamecube controller? this isn't New Super Mario Brothers GameCube92GreenYJ

Then why does the Wii have Gamecube controller ports for?

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

[QUOTE="92GreenYJ"]would you all like some cheese with your whine? Seriously, why would a NEW game for the Wii use a Gamecube controller? this isn't New Super Mario Brothers GameCubeWiishy

Yeah no kidding. I'm not whining. The fact is that if I want to play this game to the fullest, I need to spend $150 on controllers alone. If Brawl used the GC controllers, and MKWii used it too, why the hell not this game?

Don't tell me that shaking the remote or tilting can't be replicated on the GC controller either. There's a 2nd analog stick that can be used to tilt, and you could use a button press to replace the shaking.

They just want to make everyone buy 4 controllers.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

[QUOTE="92GreenYJ"]would you all like some cheese with your whine? Seriously, why would a NEW game for the Wii use a Gamecube controller? this isn't New Super Mario Brothers GameCubeWiishy

For Gamecube games and Wii games that use the GC controller. Anyways why does this game need classic controller support??
J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Because it's not a classic game it's New like it says in the title of the game :P

You can't get more classic then holding the Wii Remote sideways anyway, it's like holding an NES controller.

Omochao0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Omochao0
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts

muscle_shark

You can use the Nunchuk.

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Good lord, its amazing how some people here will defend every dumb decision that Nintendo makes. What about the people who want to play multiplayer, but don't have four Wiimotes, but have four total controllers? (Classic, GameCube or otherwise). Making them buy more Wiimotes is downright stupid.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darth-pyschosis

Good lord, its amazing how some people here will defend every dumb decision that Nintendo makes. What about the people who want to play multiplayer, but don't have four Wiimotes, but have four total controllers? (Classic, GameCube or otherwise). Making them buy more Wiimotes is downright stupid.TheLordMagnus

Thats precisely why this was an amazing move

Requiring wiimote only controls forces consumers to buy multiple controllers.

Genius move. (and doesn't it help gamers? Coz in turn Nintendo can take the $ they make off accesories and use some of that $ towards game development)

And well, the reason why Mario Kart, Smash Bros support GCN controllers is, well they are sequels to GCN games (essentially even if they add/drop features)

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a advanced version of a DS series (or at least it started there) where it uses only A/B and a Dpad

And its another entry in the Super Mario 2D series that was last seen on platforms with similar controls as Wiimote on SNES, NES, etc. So they are clasic controls

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

For Gamecube games that require the Gamecube controller? Just a hunch.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
Good lord, its amazing how some people here will defend every dumb decision that Nintendo makes. What about the people who want to play multiplayer, but don't have four Wiimotes, but have four total controllers? (Classic, GameCube or otherwise). Making them buy more Wiimotes is downright stupid.TheLordMagnus
While we're at it, I'm pissed that we don't have 360 controller support or dual shock.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Because you should already have 4 controllers since it's the Wii we're talking about. The local multiplayer outweighs the crappy online.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darth-pyschosis

Because you should already have 4 controllers since it's the Wii we're talking about. The local multiplayer outweighs the crappy online.OreoMilkshake

Yes. I mean the game in question doesn't even feature any form of online connectivity, no leaderboards, no nuttin'.

This is a local multiplayer game, for a console with great local multiplayer.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
I love the way the sideways wiimote feels in my hands. It fits perfect. No glove or strap tho. it's the classic controller that is hard to hold. what were they thinking with that thing. the thumb sticks are way to close together.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

its the motion controls dude. I think the better question is why havent we got a shell that goes over the wiimote that makes it comfy to hold when you hold it with two hands.

Serraph105

You mean these?

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goblaa

I'd also like to point out that 1, the classic controller is terrible, and two, has no motion controls.

There's no point in adding classic controller or gme cube controller support.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Anyways why does this game need classic controller support??Scythes777

The more options,the better.And it isn't like the game uses the Wii remote to its fullest extent in terms of motion gameplay or IR pointing.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts
[QUOTE="goblaa"]

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

You mean these?

are those out? I have yet to see them in any store.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

You need the wii moto to use the classic controler anyway

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Because you should already have 4 controllers since it's the Wii we're talking about. The local multiplayer outweighs the crappy online.OreoMilkshake
Why? Just about every other 4 player game worth playing has supported classic and Gamecube controllers. This is just a greedy tactic by Nintendo to get people to buy more Wiimotes.
SonicBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 SonicBalla
Member since 2006 • 2610 Posts

I think they should've only included the other control options for the multiplayer. I have the game and it feels really comfortable playing with the Wii remote side ways.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
Yeah, they should've added it in. It just wasn't a smart idea to not incorporate a basic control method like this. But, business-wise, it's smart. Getting people to buy more controllers.
Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

Who is the genius who thought of the idea not to include classic controller support? Seriously...

muscle_shark

You would hate to play with the NES controller then.

And they didn't include it because the Classic Controller doesn't have motion capabilities.

They don't want to waste motion control when their entire system is about motion control. -.-

IPWNDU2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IPWNDU2
Member since 2006 • 2535 Posts

Wow, you have to play a wii game using a wii mote??? WHAT is this world coming too?? /sarcasm

HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

What's more classic than holding the WiiMote on its side? That's right. Nothing.

I really don't get why people are complaining so much about this. It's not a big deal.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 teknic1200

I really don't get why people are complaining so much about this. It's not a big deal.

HipYoungster42
it's called making issues out of non issues. people do it all the time.
greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts

yeah, and next time add GC controller support to the sequel of wii sports resort and those new play control games.....

it's the wii... should use wii controllers... GC controller ports were just a bonus for fans.... i have no use for them since i don't have a GC and thus no GC games and i don't plan on buying any....

EDIT: ooops.... classic controllers... well, it's pointless to add them to the game... it's supposed to be reminiscent of the NES games.. and only uses the d-pad, a and b buttons, with motion control as a bonus since... well, obviously the wii is revolving around motion controls.... and it kinda kills the experience when not all 4 players use the same controller,the other shakes while the othermashes the button(IMO at least)

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 teknic1200
[QUOTE="greenarcher02"]
ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
I don't have a problem with it not supporting the GC controller, it is a WII game after all. And lets be honest, would having it support the classic controller make you not have to buy more Wiimotes? no. It would have been a nice touch, but I actually find it harder to play old nes games with the classic. I always end up using the analog stick by accident and it bugs the heck out of me for some reason. and they do make shells for the wiimote to be more comfortable. I used to have one until my daughter found it and now only heaven knows where it is. sigh
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

This.

It irritates me how there is a double standard with Nintendo. People criticize third party developers for cash ins, but defend Nintendo to death for doing the exact same thing.

I'm sure NSMB Wii is a great game. But, choosing not to support GC controllers is nothing but a blatant cash in.

----------

@TC - I haven't played the game yet. But, the GameSpot review said that it does support the Nunchuk. So, this might be something to try out when your thumbs start to hurt. :)

Hrothgarfunkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hrothgarfunkel
Member since 2009 • 248 Posts

[QUOTE="TheLordMagnus"]Good lord, its amazing how some people here will defend every dumb decision that Nintendo makes. What about the people who want to play multiplayer, but don't have four Wiimotes, but have four total controllers? (Classic, GameCube or otherwise). Making them buy more Wiimotes is downright stupid.canadianloonie

This.

It irritates me how there is a double standard with Nintendo. People criticize third party developers for cash ins, but defend Nintendo to death for doing the exact same thing.

I'm sure NSMB Wii is a great game. But, choosing not to support GC controllers is nothing but a blatant cash in.

----------

@TC - I haven't played the game yet. But, the GameSpot review said that it does support the Nunchuk. So, this might be something to try out when your thumbs start to hurt. :)

I don't see how not supporting classic controllers is a cash in move. You still have to have a wii remote for every classic controller you are using, correct?

This game feels so much like the classic NES games that I can't picture using any other control scheme, the wii remote on its side feels so right to those of us that played the original NES system.

As far as gamecube controllers go, I have always hated using them for dpad & 2 button games, the layout is just awkward.

you don't need 4 controllers unless you are playing 4 person all the time, just have people bring their own wiimotes if you don't have enough. everyone knows my wife and I have 3 controllers, if more people are coming over, they usually bring their wiimotes for rockband etc. will be the same with this game.

=H

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 goblaa

I guess they "could" have let one player use the wiimote, and another use the nunchuck. I mean, mario is a two button game, so you "could" play it one handed with just the nunchuck's analog stick, c button, Z button, and motion control.

It would be odd for sure, but it would let people play 4 player without needing 4 wiimotes, classic controllers that the game shouldn't support to begin with, or last gen controllers that you have to track down.

The only thing missing would be a pause button and a "bubble" button...but they're hardly necessary.

canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

I don't see how not supporting classic controllers is a cash in move. You still have to have a wii remote for every classic controller you are using, correct?

This game feels so much like the classic NES games that I can't picture using any other control scheme, the wii remote on its side feels so right to those of us that played the original NES system.

As far as gamecube controllers go, I have always hated using them for dpad & 2 button games, the layout is just awkward.

you don't need 4 controllers unless you are playing 4 person all the time, just have people bring their own wiimotes if you don't have enough. everyone knows my wife and I have 3 controllers, if more people are coming over, they usually bring their wiimotes for rockband etc. will be the same with this game.

=H

Hrothgarfunkel

Not supporting the gamecube controllers is a cash in move...not the classic controllers. :)

I agree that the wiimote sideways is the best way to play the game. But, they should still support the gamecube controllers so we are not forced to buy any more wiimotes. When we have family & friends over, we play Mario Kart with 2 wheels and 2 GC controllers. Brawl with 2 Wiimote/Nunchuk and2 GC controllers. Everyone still had a great time. NSMB Wii shouldn't be any different.