WHY do Wii graphics look like GC?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hecklemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hecklemonkey
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts
First of all I know that the Wii is not about graphics, it's about innovation and gameplay, blah blah blah, lets move on from that. I'm interested in why the Wii isn't living up to what most of us feel it should be capable of.

Everyone has their own opinion about just how good/bad the Wii graphics are....from claims that they look like early 360 graphics to similar claims that they look like early ps2 graphics. However, I think we can all agree that the visuals on the games released so far are slightly underwhelming at best.

While I really don't care that much, and I don't spend my time playing Zelda thinking how I wish the graphics were better (in fact I don't think that's crossed my mind more than once or twice in the 45+ hours I've played the game so far), I would really like to know how a system pegged as being twice as powerful as the GC could have graphics that range from significantly inferior to better, but almost imperceptibly so.

I know some of you will tell me that the games so far have all been ports, or were designed on the GC dev kits. Fair enough, but even though the Wii-specific games were done on GC dev kits, the developers aren't so stupid as to design those games to run well on the GC kit, never touch a Wii dev kit, and just assume it's going to run properly. At some point the developers had Wii kits and they could easily have increased the texture sizes, polygon counts, etc. They didn't.....and I find it hard to believe that every developer has just been too lazy or time pressured to get anything done.

I know some of you will tell me to just look at Mario Galaxy and post a screenshot. Yes, it's a good looking game, I agree, and noticeably better looking than Mario Sunshine...but it's still not a massive jump

Super Mario Sunshine (GC):

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii):

Now I could bore you with more comparisons....but I won't.

Metroid Prime 1/2 versus 3 is similar - better looking but not really anything major. Other games currently in later stages of development look like they could be on ps2. Games are being developed for "ps2 and Wii" or even "psp and Wii" which is just embarrassing.

Is it the 3mb texture memory? The 24mb graphics memory? Is there a real graphics bottle-neck?
I'm leaning toward believing this really is all the Wii can dish out, because of the extremely low texture/graphics memory, and because when I look at what Retro has accomplished with MP3 and look back at how impressed I was with MP1, I notice that they look almost identical.

Unfortunately we can't assume that the graphics will improve as developers get used to working with the system since it's basically just an overclocked Gamecube, and they already know exactly how to program for it.

Luckily, and despite the bulk of this thread indicating otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with the way the graphics look....I play Wii for Nintendo games, and the few great second and third party games that slowly trickle out over the years. If I want eye-candy, there's my PC or I could pick up a 360. Otherwise, my console gaming needs are well satisfied.

But my question is still there - What is wrong with the Wii that the theoretical potential of the system is not being met? And, please, no ill-informed lunatic fanboy ranting.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
actually galaxy looks much better than sunshine. it's the same style ofcourse. Maybe you are just not capable of seeing the differences.. But i do agree that most wii games look horrific. But this is because developers don't give their best. edt: this is getting kinda old now...
styphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 styphin
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts
Hmm... well, I see your point, as no graphically impressive game has yet to be released for the Wii. And I agree screenshots to upcoming games are less than impressive. Like you said, the Wii is basically an overclocked Gamecube, so theoretically they should be able to take any GC and bump up the polygon count and smooth out textures. For $250, I expect the hardware to be capable of some powerful stuff. (Obviously not as powerful as the 360.) However, given the short amount of time the Wii has been available and the fact that screenshots rarely comminucate how well a game is ACTUALLY going to look, I'm going to give the Wii the benefit of the doubt and form my opinion on this subject 6 months or so from now. Just because developers know what GC hardware is like, maybe they still don't quite know how to utilze the Wii's supposed graphical power. I'm no graphic whore, but remember, even launch games for the PS3 look like crap. I'm sure, in time, both systems will realize their full potential.
smileyryder34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 smileyryder34
Member since 2003 • 468 Posts

That screenshot from Galaxy makes Mario look significantly better.  If you look at Mario himself on the GC version he is very jagged and not as rounded in areas as he is on the Wii.  That right there is a good jump in graphics. The environment is also much clearer on the Wii shot than the GC one. 

I'd say that the Wii is showing a leap in graphics over what the GC was.

born2runak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 born2runak
Member since 2004 • 414 Posts

I agree, I would have liked to have seen Nintendo come out with a more powerful system.With all this "next Gen" console speak, we, as consumers, expect to see advancment in graphical power. Then again, I'm not willing to shell out 600 for a playstation 3, nor am I willing to pay 1000 dollars for a HDTV. So at 250 $ the Wii was great. And I guess, in some fashion, thats the tradeoff. Having a system that is affordable, is a blast to play, is innovative, but not so hot in the graphics department. at some point I will get a 360 and im sure that will satisfy my urge for next gen graphics.

I guess the question for this generation of consoles, and for consoles in the future, will be which do people prefer, a graphics powerhouse or innovative gameplay. Are realistic graphics that realistic? or is the interaction with the game what gives it it's realism? As sales prices go, I would have to say the latter is true. That could change down the road. The Wii has won the battle, but it hasn't won the war....yet.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts
i think there is a noticeable difference between Sunshine and Galaxy. Sunshine looks a lot grainier than its sharper looking Galaxy counterpart, and just to nitpick, Mario in sunshine has polygons for shoes/pants compared to smooth look of Mario in Galaxy.

then there is also games like SSBB, that has much larger difference in graphics compared to SSBM. even though the designs are very different, the Link in SSBB looks graphically more realistic than Link in SSBM.

same goes for Mario:

Eoghanpmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eoghanpmr
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

I thought we had seen the last of the Wii graphics threads. But alas no............

Early games on any platform never maximise the systems potential. Wii is not bad looking but will never reach the graphical heights of PS3 or the 360 due to its hardware restrictions. Instead it depends on art direction and style to produce its best visuals. It is however better looking than PS2 or GC and future games will look far better than launch games.

Can we give it a rest now please?

Avatar image for GoldenSilence87
GoldenSilence87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 GoldenSilence87
Member since 2004 • 1047 Posts

I thought we had seen the last of the Wii graphics threads. But alas no............

Early games on any platform never maximise the systems potential. Wii is not bad looking but will never reach the graphical heights of PS3 or the 360 due to its hardware restrictions. Instead it depends on art direction and style to produce its best visuals. It is however better looking than PS2 or GC and future games will look far better than launch games.

Can we give it a rest now please?

Eoghanpmr
Excellent post, sir. I would salute you if I had any arms...
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DGM09
Member since 2003 • 432 Posts
TC:
Mario Galaxy looks much better than Super Mario Sunshine. Textures, the character model...heck, even coins do. I do think Mario Galaxy suffers from perhaps TOO much Bloom lighting, but we'll see. If needed, I'll wear sunglasses while playing >_>
As was said already, the Wii's graphical power will not appear displayed on games until developers are using its capabilities to its fullest. It usually takes some time until they do. One clear example of this, is if you look at Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XII. One was made at the start of the PS2's life and another one very recently. The difference between both is enormous.
Watson06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Watson06
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Yeah just give the developers some time to get use to the system and start maximizing its graphical capabilities. I dont have a problem with the graphics right now, i think the gameplay is so much fun right now that you tend to forget about the graphics a little bit. However, i do hope the graphics improve a little in the future or else i would be disappointed.
cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#11 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts

I don't know about you but i see a significant difference

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
Games can have a good art style regardless of technical limitations.  We've already had a few games that show that. Zelda and Warioware especially.  Though I do understand people's frustration's... It is embarrassing to think that no Wii game looks better than a GC launch title (Rogue Leader)
-DuNN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 -DuNN-
Member since 2006 • 4767 Posts
wii's graphics have not been used to the fullest yet wait till this fall and then you can compare whatever the hel you want.
bigcalkenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 bigcalkenobi
Member since 2006 • 1297 Posts
Ok you mentioned Metroid Prime 1/2 compared to 3. Here is a quote to help In a recent GamePro article in which members of the team were allowed to come to Retro Studios, comments on the game noted that, "The controls feel solid and precise," and that, "The graphics have had a huge overhaul since E3 -- vastly better than games like Halo 2" I got that from wiki adn checked that particular Gamepro magazine to make sure it was correctly quoted and it was. so graphics from E3 may not look great but taht was almost a year ago, there is plenty of time between then and release for there to be a graphics change. Metroid is going to look very nic, maybe not the full potential of the Wii but it will actually use Wii graphic power, not GC power. So just wait there will be better graphics coming, it just takes time, I gareentee that none of the 360 launch titles looked nearly as good as Gears of War.
snackdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 snackdaddy
Member since 2006 • 2122 Posts

actually galaxy looks much better than sunshine. it's the same style ofcourse. Maybe you are just not capable of seeing the differences.. But i do agree that most wii games look horrific. But this is because developers don't give their best. edt: this is getting kinda old now...danneswegman

Yes Yes and Yes

soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts
many developers were still using the gc kits when they designed the games for the wii. maybe theyll stop now that they realize how many people are playing wii. also, you cant change mario too much without it not looking like him, how do you want a character like mario to look realistic? by making him look like a real person? that would ruinthe game. sometimes the style of the game is more important than how pretty it is. and by sometimes i mean usually
Avatar image for michaelareb0001
michaelareb0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 michaelareb0001
Member since 2005 • 1366 Posts

They look like gamecube games because they are all ports of a gamecube or ps2 game. With a few minor exceptions here and there. It'll be at least a few more months before we see true developed for the Wii games.

Answer these questions...

How realistic a Mario and Link do you need? Why does Pokemon need HDR and high resolution textures?

My stance is that if I only buy games that are more artistic looking than realistic, the graphical power of the Wii is not a factor. Mario doesn't need a real time mustache, and Link does not need realistic sweat.

I'll buy my racing simulators and gore fest FPSs and massive free roaming world games on my 360 and PS3. When I want to play Mario or Zelda, or a game that could benefit from motion controls more that high res textures, like say baseball or kart racing, I'll get it for the Wii.

BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 BobbyBobby85
Member since 2003 • 10336 Posts
Mario Galaxy looks twice as good as Sunshine IMO, and I bet you anything that the next Zelda game they make will look much , much better than Twiglight Princess.  I believe Nintendo really did make the system more powerful than we are all asuming, but their modest approach is a great benefit for them in the long run.  If they can get gamers to see steady progression in visuals over time, they are more likely to keep their interest.  Why pull out the big guns so soon? Wii has plenty of time to dish out better visuals, and I honestly don't believe we've seen the last of Wii's horsepower.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
Mario galaxy looks better, it is still in development and it runs at a smooth 60fps.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
If you think about it, since the wii doesn't share much in terms of hardware with the 360 and PS3, the software engines used to make 3D games on wii either have to be built from scratch, or licensed from a studio that has a pre-existing one. The reason for PS2 and GC quality graphics is probably because the only engines out now that the wii can handle are based on PS2 and GC architecture. It cost money to develop a 3D engine from the ground up, so most likely there was very little of that coming from devs making launch titles.
JackSherbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JackSherbak
Member since 2005 • 318 Posts

I know its been said a million times but im going to say it again, Wii is not about graphics, its about new inovative gameplay.. Look at Wii sports, Awsome in every way, everythign you want from a game and no need for graphical flair.. I didnt get my Wii to blow me away, I leave my PC to do that.. I got it for fun games...

All that said I did get Monkey ball at the weekend and Sega should hang there heads in shame, to say it looks poor is a understatement, it is just the cube/xbox game with the new control mechanism... why it received such good reviews I have no idea, OK the game is fun for a while but the 50 mini games are extremely poorly executed... I swapped Red Steel for it (which I though was pretty good on the whole)... What planet are these reviewers on, I'll be ditching MB for Excite Truck this friday...

hecklemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hecklemonkey
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts
If you think about it, since the wii doesn't share much in terms of hardware with the 360 and PS3, the software engines used to make 3D games on wii either have to be built from scratch, or licensed from a studio that has a pre-existing one. The reason for PS2 and GC quality graphics is probably because the only engines out now that the wii can handle are based on PS2 and GC architecture. It cost money to develop a 3D engine from the ground up, so most likely there was very little of that coming from devs making launch titles.Darth matt
Hmmm...good call, you're probably bang-on with that assessment. I forgot to consider how costly engine development can be. To everyone else: Did you even READ my post??? You're all complaining about being tired of graphics threads, but didn't bother to actually get beyond my subject line and the pretty pictures to have any idea what I'm even talking about!
armytaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 armytaco
Member since 2007 • 298 Posts

Dude those people who posted the stuff about  mario and link shouldn't be too realistic are completley right. We don't really wan't those characters becoming to realistic. And at one point when I was playing Twilight Princess it looked really good. I can't remember which part it was but i was like woah, there's something different here.

SuzumeCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 SuzumeCake
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
....it's probably because almost all games up till now have been made on gamecube devkits. remember Red Steel? it was made on gamecube devkit. Then switched over to the Wii devkit, but most of the game had probably already been done on the gamecube devkit. & with a deadline closing in, the game just can't be rebuilt from scratch on the Wii devkit.
JackSherbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JackSherbak
Member since 2005 • 318 Posts

But my question is still there - What is wrong with the Wii that the theoretical potential of the system is not being met? And, please, no ill-informed lunatic fanboy ranting.
hecklemonkey

I belive the theoretical performance is being met, its quite simple, the Wii is tecnologicaly weak, it is a low power low heat unit, look at the size of it and it has inbuilt WiFi, and Ati grapics chip to handle cube games and 4 cube ports and a memory slot... It has not been built with processing power in mind.. I wish I coudl find a interview for a year ago with one of the main hardware developers, it is not intended to compete with current generation hardware, it is going in a differnt direction... the reason the 360 and PS3 are so big and heavy is because to generate the power they need to run the games they do requires a lot of gubbins...

Anyone who is wanting a more visual experience that what is already available should trade for PS3/360 now... BTW Galaxy does look better than sunshine, you seem to have been selective in your screen shots.... not that Im bothered, just that I feel you have unfairly judged the small step forward with the pictures you have choosen.

yoda-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 yoda-san
Member since 2006 • 323 Posts

I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a console's launch day to just play games that in five years will make no differents anyways.

You can tell Mario looks better on Wii then on Gamecube just by looking at the pictures.

genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts

This is why wee games look like game cube games.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/762/762984p1.html

DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DGM09
Member since 2003 • 432 Posts

[QUOTE="hecklemonkey"]
JackSherbak

I belive the theoretical performance is being met, its quite simple, the Wii is tecnologicaly weak, it is a low power low heat unit, look at the size of it and it has inbuilt WiFi, and Ati grapics chip to handle cube games and 4 cube ports and a memory slot... It has not been built with processing power in mind.. I wish I coudl find a interview for a year ago with one of the main hardware developers, it is not intended to compete with current generation hardware, it is going in a differnt direction... the reason the 360 and PS3 are so big and heavy is because to generate the power they need to run the games they do requires a lot of gubbins...

Anyone who is wanting a more visual experience that what is already available should trade for PS3/360 now... BTW Galaxy does look better than sunshine, you seem to have been selective in your screen shots.... not that Im bothered, just that I feel you have unfairly judged the small step forward with the pictures you have choosen.

As rude as this may sound, don't talk about things you don't know. The Wii isn't meant for power as the PS3 and the X360 are, but it is by no means weaker/same/slightly the same as a PS2 or a GameCube.
And as these seem to work better than explaining the same thing over and over again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Wii#Technical_specifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube#Hardware_specifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2#Technical_specifications

As you see it's just plain dumb to compare a Wii to a GC and even more stupid to compare it to a PS2.
fliurxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fliurxxx
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Wii's graphics are definitetly better than Gamecube's. What's the point in arguing?
Avatar image for Breakfast_Clubber
Breakfast_Clubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Breakfast_Clubber
Member since 2003 • 2803 Posts
same reason xbox360 games looked like xbox at launch, and why ps3 games have to be stripped of everything fun or creative to make time to develop better-looking visuals. which is ubsurd because my favorite systems of all time are both nintendo handhelds.
shearMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shearMario
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
Developers wanted to get their games out ready for the launch period and just didn't have time to create good graphics engine for their games not when they also need to get use to developing games with the Wii controller.
bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#32 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

That screenshot from Galaxy makes Mario look significantly better.  If you look at Mario himself on the GC version he is very jagged and not as rounded in areas as he is on the Wii.  That right there is a good jump in graphics. The environment is also much clearer on the Wii shot than the GC one. 

I'd say that the Wii is showing a leap in graphics over what the GC was.

smileyryder34

I agree!

kid_rock995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kid_rock995
Member since 2005 • 70 Posts

This is my opinion:

The whole time PS and XBOX was thinking how could we make this better... They were thinking about Graphics. Nintendo has made that stupid Duckhunt idea and transformed it into something someone hasn't even dreamed of. Yes, yes the graphics are far from 'Next-Gen'... And? Tell me how long the XBOX 360 was out before people stopped asking the question. And I believe the reason for the lack of game support this early is because they are finding a way to utilize the the controller. Although I will be pretty disappointed if Final Fantasy for the Wii isn't at LEAST as good in graphics as XII for PS2... It's not about the Wii's capabilities that I'm saying this though... It's about FF's reputation. I'm done ranting about FF now. lol

dcoope3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dcoope3
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts

This is why wee games look like game cube games.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/762/762984p1.html

genfactor

Totally agree. Most devs haven't even come close to what Factor 5 did at the GC launch (Rebel Strike) . The GC could do normal mapping. There is no excuse. Last gen most devs were porting games from PS2, and not even exploting the GC at all. It's still happening

IGN: Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful GCN title. Rogue Squadron was doing things at launch that developers still haven't done on Wii. Why do you think that is? Are studios getting sloppy on Wii?

Julian: Yes. I'm so disappointed knowing exactly what the Wii can do -- and I still think nobody knows it better than we (no pun intended) [laughs]. I really have to say, boy, am I disappointed! They all have finally figured out, five years into the hardware's life cycle, how to do at least basic shaders and a rim light, but that's what everybody does. But I still don't see enough bump and normal-mapping, if any. I still don't see enough post effects, although you would have insane fill-rates with Wii. I don't see any of that. I was digging out Rebel Strike the other day and was looking at it, and we had some people who were visiting ask, "Why isn't anybody else doing this on Wii?" And I am at a loss. I really am.

Keving7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Keving7
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts

if you care about graphics so much buy a ps3

xnon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 xnon1
Member since 2005 • 1588 Posts
I wasn't to impressed untill i saw the new screen shots of Tiger Woods for the Wii, it looks pretty damn good i still think the Wii has the potential for very good looking games
zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
the wii is definately better than the last gen consoles. Now if you take all the best games from the last gen consoles (Halo 2, FFX, FFXII, Mario kart Double dash, Ninja gaiden, etc....)we don't really have much that compares to it other than first party titles.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

many developers were still using the gc kits when they designed the games for the wii. maybe theyll stop now that they realize how many people are playing wii. also, you cant change mario too much without it not looking like him, how do you want a character like mario to look realistic? by making him look like a real person? that would ruinthe game. sometimes the style of the game is more important than how pretty it is. and by sometimes i mean usuallysoulsdeparting
real life looking mario lol, you've brought back some memories from my childhood when i was watching this on tv , can you imagine if mario would look like this ingame , this i would call hardcore nex gen graphics :D

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

Man, is everyone on this forum retarded? I mean, can any of you actually read, or did you all just get in a tizz as soon as someone was questioning your precious beloved console?

First off- The dude said right at the start that he could see that Mario Galaxy was "noticably better" graphically than Sunshine. So stop going on about how obvious the difference is, you're only argiung with yourself.

Secondly- As far as I remember, he didn't mention anything about wanting 'more realistic' graphics, so why keep going on about that?

Thirdly, the guy has every right to question the Wii's graphical performance- everyone keeps saying it's atleast twice as powerful as the GC, so why aren't we seeing twice as good looking games all the time? (THERE ARE SOME DECENT LOOKING GAMES ON THE WII, but not as many as there should be.)

It's now 2009 and we still haven't seen any games that have really surpassed SMG, and very very few that come close, and alot that are worse than PS2 / GC standards.

Now to make matters worse, forgetting about graphics for a second, there aren't many games of high gameplay standards coming out either- say, 1 every 4 months, if that.

Now, when the Wii is still £179, and a X360 is £129; and Wii games tend to be more expensive than X360 games, I really think these questions need to keep being asked.

tooplanx
Please dont necro post.
tooplanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 tooplanx
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="tooplanx"]

Man, is everyone on this forum retarded? I mean, can any of you actually read, or did you all just get in a tizz as soon as someone was questioning your precious beloved console?

First off- The dude said right at the start that he could see that Mario Galaxy was "noticably better" graphically than Sunshine. So stop going on about how obvious the difference is, you're only argiung with yourself.

Secondly- As far as I remember, he didn't mention anything about wanting 'more realistic' graphics, so why keep going on about that?

Thirdly, the guy has every right to question the Wii's graphical performance- everyone keeps saying it's atleast twice as powerful as the GC, so why aren't we seeing twice as good looking games all the time? (THERE ARE SOME DECENT LOOKING GAMES ON THE WII, but not as many as there should be.)

It's now 2009 and we still haven't seen any games that have really surpassed SMG, and very very few that come close, and alot that are worse than PS2 / GC standards.

Now to make matters worse, forgetting about graphics for a second, there aren't many games of high gameplay standards coming out either- say, 1 every 4 months, if that.

Now, when the Wii is still £179, and a X360 is £129; and Wii games tend to be more expensive than X360 games, I really think these questions need to keep being asked.

gamefan67
Please dont necro post.

Why not? It's an import question that is all the more relevant 3 years or what ever after launch.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#45 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Galalxy an MP3 deffinately look a lot better than their GC counter parts.

The reason the wii graphics aren't as big a jumo ahead as the other 2 consoles are is because nintendo opted to advance the hardware less than Soniy and MS to keep the price down

Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike

Guns of Dubrillian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcTA7TkaDm4

Revenge of the Empire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFsKRIEew4Y

Triumph of the Rebellion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xq3D-yNujc

From Beyond3D forums:

Quote: Originally Posted by Mobius1aic

I think more GC games made me go wow than Xbox titles when it came to graphics technology and artistry. It's just too bad Wii devs don't really have the incentive to push the visuals close to what the GC could do.

Reply: Originally Posted by Squek

I think that's the trouble with a lot of development; mindset and attitude.
If you don't believe in something and/or don't understand the underlying concept and rationale, you won't get the best out of it. Double so if you are pressed for time.

tooplanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tooplanx

Galalxy an MP3 deffinately look a lot better than their GC counter parts.

The reason the wii graphics aren't as big a jumo ahead as the other 2 consoles are is because nintendo opted to advance the hardware less than Soniy and MS to keep the price down

BuryMe
How come the Wii is still more expensive than the X360, sure seeing as it was cheaper to make and has sold more units than the 360 then it should be at a lower price. I don't mind shallow, lack lustre games, but when they're trying to sell at prices the same as immense, deep, and exceptunal games such as Fallout 3, GOW etc, it takes the mick.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

well the Wii is a GCN 1.5.

yes, i think they could've at least crammed more into the package, i think they played it WAY too safe.

Wii's cost around $150 to make in 2006, they could've but a HDD or more flash memory into it, at least netbook specs like 1.2Ghz-1.5Ghz CPU more RAM, more Video memory, and still could've been proftable at a selling point of $250 or $300 (plus putting more HDD or flash memory could've cut the wii sports shipping costs by putting it on the HDD or flash)

Lunuil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lunuil

I see what you mean. But it only applies on some cases. Here's an example.

Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance & Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Can you spot the difference in graphics :P

So I see what you mean, but that truly does not apply in other situations.

Here are some examples. And yes the change is phenomenal, unlike what you stated.

Super mario sunshine/galaxy.
Metroid Prime 1/3

The bottom line is, the idea of the wii was the motion capabilities. And I am fully aware that not every game utilizes that. But truthfully, I didn't expect, nor want anything better. If your not satisfied, get a high-def tv and high-def wii cables, and that's the best you can do. Rather than criticizing masterpeices like Galaxy and MP3, go to the games that actually have to many graphic similarities. Galaxy and MP3 truly utilized the wii in the best way they could, as did many other games.

*just noticed that this is a thread from 2007, and I'm under the impression we aren't supposed to dig up old threads*

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts

Man, is everyone on this forum retarded?tooplanx

This a 3 year old thread you just bumped.