Where are my RPGs?!

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Blk-Gnome
Member since 2006 • 1247 Posts

Its a fact, the Wii is selling faster than even hot cakes...or even the legendary tickle me elmo.

It has the largest instal base in Japan, and has the most consoles sold world wide within the next generation. (ps2 still has lots more sales)...if anyone is going to take the PS2s throne as top console it is without a doubt going to be the Wii.

now with that being said...where are my RPGs? the Wii has very few RPG titles announced for the system, and that bothers me. Rpgs are one of my top genres to play...in the end it could be my fav. genre of them all. theres the FFCC which looks to be a complete 180 from the other FFCC title, ToS2, and well nothing else that impressed me to the point i can even remember its existance at this point.

Why is there such a lack of RPGs for the Wii? is it due to developers lack of faith in the Wii at launch(many people did and developers are taking note finally)?

BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BigGimp77
Member since 2006 • 532 Posts

Nintendo isnt really good at first party RPGS. Not since SMRPG for the SNES has there been a good Nintendo RPG, and by nintendo RPG i mean first party. (and that was pretty much Square who did it). The First FFCC was MEH at best. Paper mario's arent really classic RPG set up's.

Nintendo has always lacked good RPGS imo. Fire Emblem is a Strategy/rpg (I LOVE FE) so you might wanna check that out. But TBH your probably gonna want a PS3 for RPGS. I know when FFXIII comes I'll probably look into gettin a PS3.

ALTHOUGH. almost forgot, the next Dragon quest is comin out for the wii!. Really excited about taht.

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
well... devs will churn out the RPG soon i hope, as for 1st party RPG, nintendo dont do that genre that much...
Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blk-Gnome

Nintendo isnt really good at first party RPGS. Not since SMRPG for the SNES has there been a good Nintendo RPG (developed by nintendo and SQUARE). The First FFCC was MEH at best. Paper mario's arent really classic RPG set up's.

Nintendo has always lacked good RPGS imo. Fire Emblem is a Strategy/rpg (I LOVE FE) so you might wanna check that out. But TBH your probably gonna want a PS3 for RPGS. I know when FFXIII comes I'll probably look into gettin a PS3.

BigGimp77

Square Enix said they wont be makign anymore FF games on the ps3 untill it proves itself, and as is the 360 would be the logical choice for rpgs alogn side the ps3.

hm, i did forget about FE...the GC one was disaapointing for me compared to other ones in the series. I personaly like to grind. ill sit there and over level untill the experiance is so bad i move on and do the same thing all over again. FE on the GC lacked the ability to do this, thus i wasnt too fond of it. great battle system tho.

i dread rpgs with the name mario in them, not enough character development cause they just slap mario in there.

BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BigGimp77

Square Enix said they wont be makign anymore FF games on the ps3 untill it proves itself, and as is the 360 would be the logical choice for rpgs alogn side the ps3.

hm, i did forget about FE...the GC one was disaapointing for me compared to other ones in the series. I personaly like to grind. ill sit there and over level untill the experiance is so bad i move on and do the same thing all over again. FE on the GC lacked the ability to do this, thus i wasnt too fond of it. great battle system tho.

i dread rpgs with the name mario in them, not enough character development cause they just slap mario in there.

Blk-Gnome

TBH idk but I think Square is kinda swinging towards nintendo a little bit since they repaired thier friendship. We've been gettin some support. the NDS is gettin a brand NEW FF game. While the PSP is gettin a port of the orignal FF tactics. We're gettin the next DQ game as well as Dragon quest games for the DS. But for the MAIN final fantasy game to swing to the wii, well idk bout that. that would seriously KILL the ps3 lol.

Something i could see is Kingdom Hearts coming to the Wii.

And yea i dont like PAPER mario's that much. But have you played the oriinal Super Mario RPG. That was a great game. Good Character development and tons of extras to do. To this day Geno is one of my fav characters.

and yea GBA FE>GC GE because the sprite battle sceens look alot crisper and are easier to look at then the 3-D ones.

Nykchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Nykchevy
Member since 2006 • 52 Posts

if its any consolation, shining force on the virtual console is a REALLY good rpg, i beat it in a couple days

so if you want a fix, check that out

JustinLeQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JustinLeQ
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Count me as another person waiting for some solid RPGs on the Wii. 
fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#8 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
there is a jrpg coming out for the wii called Opoona or something like that. i don't really know much about it, but it's something.
Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blk-Gnome
[QUOTE="Blk-Gnome"]

BigGimp77

TBH idk but I think Square is kinda swinging towards nintendo a little bit since they repaired thier friendship. We've been gettin some support. the NDS is gettin a brand NEW FF game. While the PSP is gettin a port of the orignal FF tactics. We're gettin the next DQ game as well as Dragon quest games for the DS. But for the MAIN final fantasy game to swing to the wii, well idk bout that. that would seriously KILL the ps3 lol.

Something i could see is Kingdom Hearts coming to the Wii.

And yea i dont like PAPER mario's that much. But have you played the oriinal Super Mario RPG. That was a great game. Good Character development and tons of extras to do. To this day Geno is one of my fav characters.

and yea GBA FE>GC GE because the sprite battle sceens look alot crisper and are easier to look at then the 3-D ones.

you know...ever so often is see KH3 on the Wii as well...

both the psp and DS are getting new apps.

Crysis Core for the PSP

FF CC RoF for the DS (what other one is the ds getting?)

both are getting a FF tactics...

those are nice and all, but im mostly a console gamer. thats where the larger RPGS are, not to mention FPS(which the wii needs some good ones as well...damn developers treating the wii like a joke).

i figured developers would be quicker to jump on the wii once they saw the sales.

wertyui5467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wertyui5467
Member since 2006 • 1138 Posts

any chance of blue dragon (360) getting ported...to the Wii?????

I would buy a 360...but I can't and besides my mom wouldn't let me play gears and...well maybe halo...but no gears for me...so I'm not willing to blow 3-400 $$$$ on a 360...for blue dragon...I might buy one when it's in the position of the cube...

...any chance of a port???

vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vnc20100
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts

Don't forget Nintendo bought Monolithsoft (former square employees). Rpgs are coming, don't complain when the console is less than a year old. Do something else in the mean time....

Edit: As for FPS, Prime 3 is coming next week (I don't care if it's a FPA, it's still a shooter for me) MOH heroes 2 with 32 players online, Ghost Squad. Open your eyes man and do some researches

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blk-Gnome
Don't forget Nintendo bought Monolithsoft (former square employees). Rpgs are coming, don't complain when the console is less than a year old. Do something else in the mean time....vnc20100
and im not allowed to complain? e3 has come and gone and nintendo announces Wii Fit. yes they bought that company, give me an announcement. just let me know rpgs are on the way. at this point i have no clue if any besides the few named in this thread are even being planned.
FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts
My eyes are set directly upon Fire Emblem 10 for this topic. The Fire Emblem games I've played (US releases) are some of the best games I've ever played. I've been on the fence about buying a game with every SE game since FF7 was released, but the Fire Emblem series has yet to disappoint me.

In this age of games, variety is the key. Games, especially RPGs, aren't being churned out every year like they used to (something I'd like to address in the near future). And I don't see any system announcing a great deal of exclusive RPGs (or at least any that look interesting). So I suggest finding and enjoying the good ones you do manage to find.
Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blk-Gnome

My eyes are set directly upon Fire Emblem 10 for this topic. The Fire Emblem games I've played (US releases) are some of the best games I've ever played. I've been on the fence about buying a game with every SE game since FF7 was released, but the Fire Emblem series has yet to disappoint me. FFXIsAstyanax

and like i have said within this thread, FE is also a choice, but i also showed my displeasure with FE Path of radience (mostly because of my inability to level up how i pleased.) the Wii has 3 RPGs that have interested me thus far.

and im usually the last one to say no to a game based on art style but...Opoona turned me off with its art style.

as for a port of blue dragon to Wii...only in your dreams...same thing with eternal sonata (which is currently the game im most hyped for)

ArabSolja99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ArabSolja99
Member since 2006 • 1630 Posts

I would buy a 360...but I can't and besides my mom wouldn't let me play gears and...well maybe halo...but no gears for me...so I'm not willing to blow 3-400 $$$$ on a 360...for blue dragon...I might buy one when it's in the position of the cube...

wertyui5467

lol, bro there is no chance that the 360 will fall into the position of the cube

if any system it will be the ps3; the xbox 360 and wii are dominating

as for rpg's, just wait till dragon quest. It is supposed to be massive, just like the awesometastic one thats gonna end up on ds (dq IX)

BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BigGimp77

Crysis Core for the PSP

those are nice and all, but im mostly a console gamer. thats where the larger RPGS are, not to mention FPS(which the wii needs some good ones as well...damn developers treating the wii like a joke).

i figured developers would be quicker to jump on the wii once they saw the sales.

Blk-Gnome

I was just talkin that were getin much more Square support. and there is a FFXII spin off FFXII: Relevent Wings. While the PSP is gettin FFT which is just a PS1 port of the orignal game.

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blk-Gnome
[QUOTE="Blk-Gnome"]

Crysis Core for the PSP

BigGimp77

I was just talkin that were getin much more Square support. and there is a FFXII spin off FFXII: Relevent Wings. While the PSP is gettin FFT which is just a PS1 port of the orignal game.

PSP is getting crisis core FF7 spin off

Tactics (i dont think its a port, im pretty sure this one is all new)

then that Final Fantasy fighting game. square is pretty split.

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FFXIsAstyanax

[QUOTE="FFXIsAstyanax"]My eyes are set directly upon Fire Emblem 10 for this topic. The Fire Emblem games I've played (US releases) are some of the best games I've ever played. I've been on the fence about buying a game with every SE game since FF7 was released, but the Fire Emblem series has yet to disappoint me. Blk-Gnome

and like i have said within this thread, FE is also a choice, but i also showed my displeasure with FE Path of radience (mostly because of my inability to level up how i pleased.)

Ah yeah, I understand that part. That's what I did with FF12, just ran around and chained things into the hundreds. Ended up with over 200k gil just from chaining Malboros in the forest.

But I think if you could level your characters like that in FE, it would take away from the tactical portion of the game. Anyone can put a few level 20 prestige classed characters in the middle of a sea of enemies for most of the game, but it's more fun when you have to think before you move.
NEILMEHTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NEILMEHTA
Member since 2005 • 525 Posts
Well, FE is what comes to mind first. There's Dragon Quest swords, and FFCC in 2008 (I think). No much first parties, since nintendo still has to make a good 3d pokemon.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#21 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
From What I've seen companies don't care about puting quality games on the Wii. Just a quick developer cash in. They think that "casual gamers" like crap. Hopefully they'll be proven wrong soon. I mean, causal gamers may be new, but they like good games. Most of em like Halo, Super Smash Bros and all those awsome multiplayer games which the Wii is also lcking right now...
wertyui5467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wertyui5467
[QUOTE="wertyui5467"]

ArabSolja99

lol, bro there is no chance that the 360 will fall into the position of the cube

if any system it will be the ps3; the xbox 360 and wii are dominating

as for rpg's, just wait till dragon quest. It is supposed to be massive, just like the awesometastic one thats gonna end up on ds (dq IX)

lol...I mean that I'll get a 36o when I can get gaes like dirt cheap and the gen is almost over...aka...I'll be buying a "last gen" cnsole during the start of the next...next gen!!!

and then get the current gen console for that gen...like a year later!!

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
Yeah there seem to lack RPG at this point on the Wii. But don't worrythere should be some coming soon. In the mean time if you haven't play it yet you should check out Paper Mario. It a classic.
wertyui5467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wertyui5467

Yeah there seem to lack RPG at this point on the Wii. But don't worrythere should be some coming soon. In the mean time if you haven't play it yet you should check out Paper Mario. It a classic.Wanderer5

i got that...wow...a platformer..with an odd twist...60$ down the drain...seriously...I didn't like it much...if MP3...sucks...me getting up at 5 am on the 19th of november was a big waste!!!!

...it'll be good!!!

ahh you know what...they (sqare)should make a really good sprite FF game for the wii...like...good sprites...with VO!!!

ERoBB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 ERoBB
Member since 2005 • 1104 Posts

The PSP has 3 original FF's coming out. The DS has one. Sony has Crysis Core, Dissida, and a brand new FF Tactics. The DS has a strategy game spin off of my least favorite FF ever. They can have it...

As for the Wii, it could certainly use some good RPGs, and the Wiimote could offer up some interesting RPG battle controls...

ramseyT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 ramseyT
Member since 2004 • 183 Posts
You know I recall back when the Wii came out it didnt look like there were going to be much RPGS on it but everyone was all like "oh just you wait, there be some", hmm..........and zelda is not an RPG.
Eragont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Eragont
Member since 2006 • 1933 Posts
just wait for e for all, there will be game announcements there, if there is no rpgs announced at that than we can have reason to complain.
ramseyT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 ramseyT
Member since 2004 • 183 Posts

just wait for e for all, there will be game announcements there, if there is no rpgs announced at that than we can have reason to complain.Eragont

Hate to be a hater but I doubt we will get very many RPG's on the Wii. We got maybe 4 rpg's on the cube and I dont even think there were any on the 64 ( once again zelda is not a friggin rpg, Im so sick of people calling it that), so the chances of us getting many rpgs on the Wii are slim.

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blk-Gnome

[QUOTE="Eragont"]just wait for e for all, there will be game announcements there, if there is no rpgs announced at that than we can have reason to complain.ramseyT

Hate to be a hater but I doubt we will get very many RPG's on the Wii. We got maybe 4 rpg's on the cube and I dont even think there were any on the 64 ( once again zelda is not a friggin rpg, Im so sick of people calling it that), so the chances of us getting many rpgs on the Wii are slim.

but the n64 wasnt exactly the winner of that race now was it?

the wii has the console sales to give developers a big reason to support it

the wii has the cheaper development time giving devlopers another reason to support the wii.

(they dont all have 50 million to throw into a game).

back to the FE discussion going on, its only the GC one that i know of that lacks the ability to grind and level up your characters. which was rather dissapoint especially considering once a character is dead they are gone for good, making it rather difficult to keep everyone alive through the game. if i was able to mass level out, that wouldnt be an issue so i wouldnt keep resetting cause some one died. it over all just killed the fun in the game for me.

and dragon quest swords...i dunno where to even start.

im not impressed with this game at all. from the battle system, to the rpg on rails...nothing has popped out and said play this game. i just dont get excited when i see it, and it just doesnt appeal to me at all. i think its the first person, rail, actionness of the game i dont like. its not an action rpg like KH...its not a traditional RPG like ff/DQ...its this weird hybrid for the wii.

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blk-Gnome

just wait for e for all, there will be game announcements there, if there is no rpgs announced at that than we can have reason to complain.Eragont

E for all isnt suppose to be about announcing games, its a show for games coming out that year or so, get them some publicity just before the holiday season shopping madness starts. if anything Tokyo Game Show is where things are going to be announced.

and TGS is where we will know who Square supports more, the DS or PSP. this TGS they are announcing their 2nd portable KH game...and well which system they choose is the one Square is supporting in my book, its a very popular rpg and they wouldnt give it to a system they didnt give their full backing to.

trunksjimmy71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 trunksjimmy71
Member since 2006 • 206 Posts
hope they make some classic rpgs not with motion control (only if it will be an improvement)
BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BigGimp77

PSP is getting crisis core FF7 spin off

Tactics (i dont think its a port, im pretty sure this one is all new)

then that Final Fantasy fighting game. square is pretty split.

Blk-Gnome

FF7 spinoffs meh. prob wont be that great.

FF fighting game? is probably gonna be mediocre.

and the FF tactic game is the PS1 game. Believe me. I read people complainin cuz they didn't even up the graphics.

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blk-Gnome

FF9 was suppose to be a spin off...but they ended up giving it a number.

i still feel square is a little too splot for comfort. they just need to pick a side so i know what to buy.

BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BigGimp77

The problem is... Most RPG set up are menu based. So the Wii's motion sensin has little to do with anything.

So in the battle of Better controls or better graphics... for RPG's better gprahics wins.

UNLESS, they did something like the setup in SM RPG. Where u can increase your attack's by timing actions in ur moves.

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blk-Gnome

if its turn base, no problem go with the side ways wii-mote.

if its real time, swing the wii-mote to swing the sword, analog stick to move, the other buttons can be short cuts...the wii can handle just about anything.

StrayCatStrut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 StrayCatStrut
Member since 2004 • 34 Posts
I would love to see KH on the wii.
benben04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 benben04
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts
motion controls would be best for mini games, like fishing in breath of fire, or for timing based attack combos, like the battle system in legend of dragoon.
l8bitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 l8bitz
Member since 2004 • 3251 Posts
Why don't you get about making some? Why complain about that which you cannot (or choose not to) change?
Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Blk-Gnome

Why don't you get about making some? Why complain about that which you cannot (or choose not to) change?l8bitz
because it takes more than a single year to become the game designer to call the shots, as is you need a 4 year degree to be a programmer really.

i **** because im a gamer, and i DO plan on becoming a game designer, its just not a possibility at this point.

Avatar image for nishamuffypuppy
nishamuffypuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 nishamuffypuppy
Member since 2004 • 5731 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean ... well Tales and Dragon Quest are coming, and so are Fire Emblem but still ... and Crystal Chronicles if you count that but Fire Emblem and Chronicles aren't well ... typical. :) I'd like to see a new Baten Kaitos though, I love the series. Or maybe a sequel to Skies of Arcadia?
l8bitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 l8bitz

[QUOTE="l8bitz"]Why don't you get about making some? Why complain about that which you cannot (or choose not to) change?Blk-Gnome

because it takes more than a single year to become the game designer to call the shots, as is you need a 4 year degree to be a programmer really.

i **** because im a gamer, and i DO plan on becoming a game designer, its just not a possibility at this point.

Well in that case I commend your efforts. Keep me posted on what titles I should be looking for.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

Nintendo isnt really good at first party RPGS. Not since SMRPG for the SNES has there been a good Nintendo RPG, and by nintendo RPG i mean first party. (and that was pretty much Square who did it). The First FFCC was MEH at best. Paper mario's arent really classic RPG set up's.BigGimp77

yeah the first FFCC was meh, but the devs that made that game are working on the DS FF. The people working on FFCC2 are the people that made what i consider to be the best JRPG ever made (FFIX). I have complete faith in their capabilities :)

I really hope more interesting rpg's will be announced soon. Not that i will have a lack of good rpg's to choose from (future 360 owner)

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blk-Gnome
[QUOTE="BigGimp77"]

Nintendo isnt really good at first party RPGS. Not since SMRPG for the SNES has there been a good Nintendo RPG, and by nintendo RPG i mean first party. (and that was pretty much Square who did it). The First FFCC was MEH at best. Paper mario's arent really classic RPG set up's._Tobli_

yeah the first FFCC was meh, but the devs that made that game are working on the DS FF. The people working on FFCC2 are the people that made what i consider to be the best JRPG ever made (FFIX). I have complete faith in their capabilities :)

I really hope more interesting rpg's will be announced soon. Not that i will have a lack of good rpg's to choose from (future 360 owner)

ff9?! you for real? thats my fav FF title, folowed by 8,7,then 10.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

Blk-Gnome

Yup. I have even been chased with pitchforks by the rabid FF fans for not having FFVII as my fave, and for disliking FFVIII

l8bitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 l8bitz
[QUOTE="Blk-Gnome"]

_Tobli_

Yup. I have even been chased with pitchforks by the rabid FF fans for not having FFVII as my fave, and for disliking FFVIII

Well consider yourself lucky. In some parts of Africa, they can burn people as witches for comments like that! :P

Blk-Gnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Blk-Gnome

nice, if its FF9 team i have really high expectations.

the only thing i disliked about 7 was it never clearly answers your questions (its still debated if cloud is cloud or if hes a cloan or every time we talk about it no one seems to have a yes or no to the question) and well materia...cool idea but i like set classes for a character more. (gives them personality)

Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts
I've heard that Tales of Symphonia 2 will be coming out for the Wii....eventually......
FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FFXIsAstyanax
Wow 9 was like... my least favorite after 5. 7's pretty low down there, as well. It was way over-hyped (and still is) and definitely doesn't live up to any expectations built from word of mouth. And if you're going to swear in a game, use the actual swears. Don't write "spikey-headed @#$" and call it swearing. It doesn't make the game more mature, it just makes it lame.

If you couldn't tell by my sig, FF6 is my absolute favorite FF game and probably favorite game of all time. For the top 3 FF games, I would probably have to say FF6, FFTactics, and FF8. XI would be on there if it wasn't for the human element. Never again will I play another MMORPG. 6 hours to look for a party FTL!
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Well, for this year, Dragon Quest Swords and Fire Emblem.

For next year, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Tales of Symphonia 2: Knights of Ratatosk.