When Will Capcom Stop Making Wii Owners Jump Through Hoops?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Ok Capcom got on the SS WiiIsAwesome very early so no matter how you feel about the company you have to appreciate that part of them.

But now it's getting fishy

First we get a Resident Evil 4 package that smushed together the Gamecube and PS2 versions of the game and the cherry on top was motion controls. The greatness wasn't stopping there though, they offered the game for the low low price of 29.99 US (which is about 320.00 AU)

They follow it up with Zack and Wiki. An overlooked title that really shows off how the Wii can bring back certain genres. Since it's a new franchise built from the ground up the price is 39.00 US.

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles comes next. A superb shooting game that is everything a Resident Evil fan could want when it comes to covering the series. It's the Smash Bros style of fan service done to Resident Evil. It was a new game built from the ground up and it was an established franchise so the price was 49.99 US.

The latest installment is Okami. A game that sold horribly last gen. A last gen port that until the delay recently didn't even meet the graphical specs of last gen's version. Now it's a port of a last gen game that didn't sell very well with added motion controls.

Now instead of matching the price of the last port they made with motion controls and charge 29.99 Okami for the Wii is going to be 39.99. Mind you with Resident Evil's release it had added content with the level of the Gamecube graphics for 29.99. Resident Evil 4 was also a game that had fans behind the series.

I know that Capcom wants to make sure the consumer water is ok before they dive fully in but how many buying tests do they expect Wii owners to do? And why are they raising prices on games that aren't made from the ground up?

Also please don't bring up the Resident Evil 5 nonsense, if you want to talk about that just go make another thread because that boat has sailed.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts

I think the Wii port is more or less just a way to try and save the Okami title and prevent it from being a complete flop and loss of profit. I doubt they made anything off the PS2 version. The $40 price tag is probably there so capcom can make money off of a title that completely flopped sales wise on another console.

Capcom is bringing Monster Hunter 3 to Wii as an exclussive, something that was originally intended to be a PS3 exclussive, testing time is finally over. :)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I think the Wii port is more or less just a way to try and save the Okami title and prevent it from being a complete flop and loss of profit. I doubt they made anything off the PS2 version. The $40 price tag is probably there so capcom can make money off of a title that completely flopped sales wise on another console.

umcommon

You have a point about getting the money back but it seems that Capcom is trying to do everything they can NOT to make money with Okami.

They have a dog on a purple background with pink flowers as the box art and they couple that with a 39.99 price tag. It's not like Okami is an established franchise at all, it's a relative unknown title that the're charging more for then one of the most popular titles in gaming history.

I just don't understand what they're doing unless it's a "They'll really pay this much for it?" kind of test

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts

I think Okami is an attempt to raise its popularity, but now that you mention it, the price tag doesn't help much (or the crappy boxart).

And you forgot to mention Resident Evil 0, a port that honestly makes no sense since Wiis are backwards compatible (unless you inculde controls and, possibly, extra content and graphics).

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 umcommon
[QUOTE="umcommon"]

Jaysonguy

You have a point about getting the money back but it seems that Capcom is trying to do everything they can NOT to make money with Okami.

They have a dog on a purple background with pink flowers as the box art and they couple that with a 39.99 price tag. It's not like Okami is an established franchise at all, it's a relative unknown title that the're charging more for then one of the most popular titles in gaming history.

I just don't understand what they're doing unless it's a "They'll really pay this much for it?" kind of test

Yeah Capcom better have at least one weeks worth of comercials for this game or else they wont sell squat.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
But, I think that Resident Evil 4 for Wii was originally $50 and then dropped the price to $30. I saw it once at $50, I'm sure. Won't they do the same with Okami?
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
I'm sure Okami was a HUGE financial blow to Capcom since it had a very high budget. Maybe they want to get out of the red?
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 umcommon

But, I think that Resident Evil 4 for Wii was originally $50 and then dropped the price to $30. I saw it once at $50, I'm sure. Won't they do the same with Okami?Thiago26792

Nope launch was $30

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

@Jaysonguy

You should ask this on the Capcom forums on the Ask Capcom board. Here's the link: http://www.capcom.com/BBS/forumdisplay.php?f=229

Christian Svensson a capcom representive always post there. Maybe he could answer on the problem.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
RE4 was 45 euro's anyway, so i think it only matters in the US region.

Well only buy the games if You want them i guess. I wonder too, when they will dare move on. If they dare :P

Cause the longer they wait, the harder it will get.
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

In Okami's case, I think Capcom is looking to break even and since Okami and Wii seem to be a good fit, a port was a smart idea... even at the $40 price point.

Capcom has been good to the Wii so there's no reason to complain, really.

EnozmeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 EnozmeH
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts
I'm pretty sure that even though u presented a nice thought into how Capcom is creeping it's prices on the gamer, i strongly believe that u or most people in general understand how the respective market goes about selling their product and how they acheive the price range they place on the title... In order for us to start thinking that the next game for the Wii will be priced at or below $40 (US) is ridiculous... The RE package was sold at that price simply because it was expected to sell poorly... or at the time maybe it had other titles out or something.... i've dabbled in business for the past few years... and i wish a preacitcal layout was presented into what goes into the minds of the seller before the product is released... but maybe we don't think of all the factors when "pissed" about the high price tag on our next possible purchase :shock:
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Capcom has been good to the Wii so there's no reason to complain, really.

TDLlama

thats true, i'd just like to see some more original ip's/new games than games from last gen. So far i think capcom has released/will release 3 ports (RE4, Okami, RE:0) and 3 new games (RE:UC, Zack and wiki, monster hunter 3), which is good, but i want more new titles :)
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

...but i want more new titles :)
Haziqonfire

So do I. There are a few franchises Capcom could take advantage of on the Wii. Viewtiful Joe would be great, a new 2D Mega Man could work, and even old-school franchises like Ghouls n' Ghosts or Breath of Fire could make a comeback... or maybe Power Stone?

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

$40 for one of the greatest games of last gen (won GOTY on IGN in 2006) sounds like a great deal to me. I do agree that $30 would have been better, but at least they are not charging full price like Rockstar is doing for Bully.

I really can't complain about Capcom at all on Wii. They are one of the few third party that actually take the Wii seriously. We've already got Zack & Wiki, RE:UC, which are both great. We are getting We Love Golf later this year. They also released two amazing updated games from last gen (Okami and RE4) for reduced price. That's much more than you can say about most of the third parties that are developing for the Wii.

shadowlink797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 shadowlink797
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts

Capcom just wants to make some gains with a failed IP. Personally I don't care much, I didn't like Okami on the PS2 and Wii controls aren't going to change anything. I bought RE4 Wii Edition for three reasons, it was a great game that I wasn't able to pick up on either the GC or PS2 since I wanted other games at the time, it was cheap, and it came out during a significant drought period. The controls were just an icing on the cake.

Okami on the other hand is a barely touched port, and it is coming out during a time were there are other and IMO better titles out or coming out (like No More Heroes, SSBB, PES 2008, and De Blob).

Right now I want more original content from Capcom, Zack and Wiki was awesome and Monster Hunter 3 is great but that is not enough. Though it is definatley a lot better than what most third parties put on the Wii.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]
...but i want more new titles :)
TDLlama

So do I. There are a few franchises Capcom could take advantage of on the Wii. Viewtiful Joe would be great, a new 2D Mega Man could work, and even old-school franchises like Ghouls n' Ghosts or Breath of Fire could make a comeback... or maybe Power Stone?

Well Zack and Wiki was new, and umbrella chronicles. Okami is practically new since nobody bought it -_-;

So i don't think we have to start worrying about future new titles :)
fleig_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 fleig_man
Member since 2006 • 858 Posts

yeah i agree that we should see more new games from capcom but I think Okami is going to sell pretty well now that people (i.e. gamers) know more about it, and from the previews it sounds like the game works so I'll be picking it up day one.

Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
RE4 is a game they already made tons of profit off of, so they were able to put it for only $30.
Okami was not very successful at all, so they are making it $40 to try to make some profit off of it.
At least that's just my guess.

Popadophalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Popadophalis
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts
Capcom better put some big " Game of the Year quotes" on the box cover...
TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#21 TheAcejoel99
Member since 2008 • 1059 Posts

[QUOTE="Thiago26792"]But, I think that Resident Evil 4 for Wii was originally $50 and then dropped the price to $30. I saw it once at $50, I'm sure. Won't they do the same with Okami?umcommon

Nope launch was $30

umcommon is right it launched at $29.99 which I proudly purchased it at.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts

Unfortunately all I can see Capcom doing is making us kjump through more hoops. I wouldnt be surprised in the least if Okami sold well, see OKAMI 2 wih a huge budget coming to PS3 and 360.

I like what they have done so far but if they just Wii RE re make all the resident eveil games then I am putting them in the bad dev list. It makes no sense to release RE0 again. Even if its in Japan it wastes major resources for what could be a new game. I dont see why devs refuse to make new entries to their games. The most I have seen from a dev that constituted as a new entry was Soul Caliber Legends. That game was a disaster. It looked like they got the motion controls perfect and someone higher up cut funding on the game and forced a rushed release.

I dont know whats going on but some companies REALLY have some issues to work out with Nintendo and how they view the Wii.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KungfuKitten

Unfortunately all I can see Capcom doing is making us kjump through more hoops. I wouldnt be surprised in the least if Okami sold well, see OKAMI 2 wih a huge budget coming to PS3 and 360.

I like what they have done so far but if they just Wii RE re make all the resident eveil games then I am putting them in the bad dev list. It makes no sense to release RE0 again. Even if its in Japan it wastes major resources for what could be a new game. I dont see why devs refuse to make new entries to their games. The most I have seen from a dev that constituted as a new entry was Soul Caliber Legends. That game was a disaster. It looked like they got the motion controls perfect and someone higher up cut funding on the game and forced a rushed release.

I dont know whats going on but some companies REALLY have some issues to work out with Nintendo and how they view the Wii.

Cyber-

Yeah i wonder what nintendo could do about that. Are they not doing something that is normally done to convince third party? Like sending some death threat?
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyber-"]

KungfuKitten

Yeah i wonder what nintendo could do about that. Are they not doing something that is normally done to convince third party? Like sending some death threat?

I dont know if that was sarcasm but I was not blaming Nintendo. The blame goes on third party. Though there are a bunch of methods that can be used to improve third party support that Nintendo is not taking.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Cyber-"]

Cyber-

I dont know if that was sarcasm but I was not blaming Nintendo. The blame goes on third party. Though there are a bunch of methods that can be used to improve third party support that Nintendo is not taking.

It wasn't sarcasm.