Whats the big deal!? (ridge racer 3d)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XprimeX
Member since 2006 • 1148 Posts

Ok look, everyone I ask in my general area is getting ridge racer as one of their first 3ds purchases... I dont get it, I played the previous console iteration of the game and I thought it completely sucked. It seems like racing on rails, the sense of speed was their but besides that it seems like 40$ is a demanding price for a game like this. At the same time, I feel like maybe theres something Im missing. if so many people like this game, theres got to be something about it that is noteworthy- I would very much like to get 2 titles at launch but so far im all in for sf4. So please share your thoughts, whats the big deal about ridge racer?

leeveeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 leeveeu
Member since 2003 • 3405 Posts
On the 3DS, the Asphalt game looks better than Ridge Racer
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
B-B-But... RIIIIIDGE RACER!! :(
XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XprimeX

ok literally, thats the answer I get in real life lol Either that or "Dude, its ridge racer, its just the launch title everyone gets.." Just seems a little weird to me that every ridge racer is almost identical to the last and people still buy it full price with no real reason.. I want to like this game so bad but I just cant get past this

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

On the 3DS, the Asphalt game looks better than Ridge Racerleeveeu
It's the other way around :P

ChibiStewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ChibiStewie
Member since 2008 • 871 Posts

I dont see the big deal. Ridge Racer or not, it looks like a horrible racing game.

leeveeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 leeveeu
Member since 2003 • 3405 Posts

[QUOTE="leeveeu"]On the 3DS, the Asphalt game looks better than Ridge Racergameofthering

No, it really isn't.
midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

Ridge Racer hasn't lasted over 15 years by sucking. You ever think it might just not be to your taste?

Asphalt is reasonable but it's never been more than a thoroughly mediocre series, I'm amazed people are talking about it in the same breath as RR, and even saying it's better than RR, but many people (younger gamers?) really seem to hate Ridge Racer nowadays. Granted, the first few hours are usually slow and boring (to ease newcomers into the drift system presumably), but the apparent hatred people have for the game astonishes me. Then again most people can't tell the difference between a bad game and a game they don't like. ;)

Possibly just a game too much of it's time, it's a very 90s game, but for me it's by far my favourite arcade racing game. Full price is a bit much for the 3DS version though as it isn't exactly brimming with new content, but it'll be solid enough, just with reasonable-but-not-great graphics and 40-odd recycled tracks.

Anyway, if you don't like it, get over it, Need For Speed or Burnout or whatever will inevitably be released and then everyone can be happy. :D

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

[QUOTE="leeveeu"]On the 3DS, the Asphalt game looks better than Ridge Racerleeveeu

No, it really isn't.

Well the controls for it are terrbile compared to Ridge Racer that's for sure :P

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
If you didn't play Ridge Racer from the PSone days then most people are not into it now. The 3DS version looks ok, nothing ground breaking. It's sad because Ridge Racers on PSP looks 10 times better and that came out 6 years ago.
midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 midisurfmind

^ IMO, it doesn't. I'm playing through the PSP version now as I bought it on ebay recently, I've played the 3DS version, and the 3DS one looks better, again, in my opinion. Even the criticism of the graphics are generally that it isn't improved enough from the PSP version, but I'm fairly certain the 3DS version looks better when you play it. It hardly looks like the best the system is likely to be able to produce, but it looks better than the PSP one to me.

XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XprimeX

Well notice I mentioned that I 'thought' they totally sucked, and this post is basically me humbling out aand saying "look I get that a lot of people like this game, why? Because I want to enjoy it as well if its that good." The sarcasm in this thread is killing me. I know what isnt my taste and what is, but i cant put a finger on RR. Anyway some help would be nice, if your an old time RR fan looking to bash me for questioning the value of your favorite game look elsewhere please.

wilford88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wilford88
Member since 2005 • 162 Posts

I haven't played both games myself but so far (based on the official Nintendo Magazine review) they gave Ridge Racer 3DS a bigger score compared to Asphalt 3D. Also, knowing Ridge Racer was developed by Konami - makes me feel a little more trusting to the franchise. Not sure who developed Asphalt though.

Here's some comparisons:

http://www.nintendo3dsgamer.com/ridge-racer-3d/

http://www.nintendo3dsgamer.com/asphalt-3d/

Looking at the screenshots and previews - I think Ridge Racer looks better and plays better as well.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
I haven't tried a Ridge Racer yet, but after downloading the DSiWare Asphalt game I won't ever be suckered into buying another one of those games.
midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 midisurfmind

Well notice I mentioned that I 'thought' they totally sucked, and this post is basically me humbling out aand saying "look I get that a lot of people like this game, why? Because I want to enjoy it as well if its that good." The sarcasm in this thread is killing me. I know what isnt my taste and what is, but i cant put a finger on RR. Anyway some help would be nice, if your an old time RR fan looking to bash me for questioning the value of your favorite game look elsewhere please.

XprimeX

Just look it up and read reviews (there is one on Eurogamer for example). They will generally say all the flaws with the game. Hopefully good sites will start putting game reviews up in the next couple of days. Otherwise, if you played it and didn't like it, don't get it, although as I mentioned, it takes a few hours to get going because it is too easy and slow for a few hours.

For the person who was saying who developed them, Asphalt is developed by Gameloft I believe. Ridge Racer is actually developed by Namco rather than Konami.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

Ridge Racer is one of those franchises that you basically had to be there at the start to get them.

They have improved greatly over the years but it's not your average racing game. It's all about the drifting.

I agree that it's not worth $40 which is why I'm glad I got it for 15£ instead of 30£ in the amazon pre-order deal.

midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 midisurfmind

^ I was going to get it that way myself, but I managed to find the Asda deal where you get £5 off a £50 spend, so managed to just get the 3DS for £182. Decided not to bother with RR as like you say, full price is a bit rough. There is plenty to do, but the recycling means I've probably done a lot of it on 7 and the PSP one, so I'll let the price go down first as there are so many other games coming out this year.