whats so special about animal crossing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

so whats so special about animal crossing?

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

It is hard to describe why it is good; But it isn't for everyone. I like that their isn't really any goal to it you just get to move in and play about 10 minutes at a time and just relax by fishing, catching bugs, digging up fossils, and fixing up your house.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 k2theswiss

It is hard to describe why it is good; But it isn't for everyone. I like that their isn't really any goal to it you just get to move in and play about 10 minutes at a time and just relax by fishing, catching bugs, digging up fossils, and fixing up your house.

Nintendo_Ownes7
so iam getting at it's like some sims game
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

k2theswiss

so iam getting at it's like some sims game

Sort of it is in the same genre but you can't have a family in Animal Crossing. But Nintendo has another IP that is a cross between The Sims and Animal Crossing where you use Miis and you can start a family it is called "Tomodachi Collection" Which means "Friend Collection" the newest game is out in Japan and it is called Friend Collection: New Life.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

It's basically a secondary life. You own a house which you can decorate and expand. Taking care of the town for rewards. Obtaining rare items on a lucky day. Collecting species of animals for a musuem. Days go by in real time and specific events occur on specific dates. Seasons change and the game changes. It's meant to be played in short bursts everyday. It's oddly addicting but it is not for everyone.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 k2theswiss

It's basically a secondary life. You own a house which you can decorate and expand. Taking care of the town for rewards. Obtaining rare items on a lucky day. Collecting species of animals for a musuem. Days go by in real time and specific events occur on specific dates. Seasons change and the game changes. It's meant to be played in short bursts everyday. It's oddly addicting but it is not for everyone.

thetravman
thanks
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
It's basically like the ultimate collect-a-thon. There are thousands (literally) of things to collect, from tons and tons of different furniture series, completing the museum (all the fossil, fish, insect and art exhibits), clothing, and many more things. You can also make your own designs which can go on clothes and furniture. There's also the money-making side of things. You can make money to upgrade your house and build things around town. Methods of making money include fishing, bug catching, selling lots of fruit, fossils, and other things. The game runs on real time so there are different things to collect at different parts of the day and year. There's also the villager aspect of it. Interacting with the different villagers and all their entertaining, different personalities is also really fun. The game is really laid back and it really doesn't end, ever. People tend to either love the game or hate it.
Avatar image for longtimelurker0
longtimelurker0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 longtimelurker0
Member since 2013 • 190 Posts

It's basically like the ultimate collect-a-thon. There are thousands (literally) of things to collect, from tons and tons of different furniture series, completing the museum (all the fossil, fish, insect and art exhibits), clothing, and many more things. You can also make your own designs which can go on clothes and furniture. There's also the money-making side of things. You can make money to upgrade your house and build things around town. Methods of making money include fishing, bug catching, selling lots of fruit, fossils, and other things. The game runs on real time so there are different things to collect at different parts of the day and year. There's also the villager aspect of it. Interacting with the different villagers and all their entertaining, different personalities is also really fun. The game is really laid back and it really doesn't end, ever. People tend to either love the game or hate it.Aquat1cF1sh

You just convinced me to get this. I love games where you have to actually work hard to get items, not many games like that anymore.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#9 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Nothing. I didn't like Animal Crossing DS and I don't give two hoots about the new ones.You play a miniature schizophrenic drunk kid who thinks animals can talk.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I just love the aspect of building your home, decorating it, collecting rare fossils and fish. It feels like a slight extension of your own life being played out in video game form. Obviously your character takes on some of your interests and style, so it feels like you're controlling yourself. Sounds lame, but after the initial addiction of playing for hours on end you'll find yourself only spending 10-15 minutes a day just to tidy up or check in on the town.

Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

Don't see the point in any AC game myself. In Harvest Moon and Rune Factory, I always feel like I'm actually working towards something. Never felt that with Animal Crossing.

Yomeidient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Yomeidient
Member since 2004 • 430 Posts

What's special about it is it uses the system's internal clock for the game world. It goes beyond it just being light out during day and dark at night, different things happen on different days, and different seasons. Unless you employ "time travelling", you need to play it nearly every day to get the full experience.

Avatar image for FallenAdversary
FallenAdversary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FallenAdversary
Member since 2013 • 72 Posts
This thread just made me want to get the game more. Thank you all.
Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts
There's really nothing special about AC but that's why it is so "special." It's such a departure from what gamers are used to.
agrippi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 agrippi
Member since 2003 • 1195 Posts
Nothing. I didn't like Animal Crossing DS and I don't give two hoots about the new ones.You play a miniature schizophrenic drunk kid who thinks animals can talk.Spinnerweb
Now YOU just convinced me to buy this game. How does this not sound awesome???
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

so whats so special about animal crossing?

k2theswiss

Well, for me it's like a small sanctuary I can go to after I've been playing online shooters and all the gun blasts and screaming in the chaos has my head throbbing. It's a place you can find peace in and build upon your own little world, or just relax and go fishing.

towny_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 towny_
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts
Nothing. I didn't like Animal Crossing DS and I don't give two hoots about the new ones.You play a miniature schizophrenic drunk kid who thinks animals can talk.Spinnerweb
I know it's not on topic, but I can't stop watching your signature
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#18 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]Nothing. I didn't like Animal Crossing DS and I don't give two hoots about the new ones.You play a miniature schizophrenic drunk kid who thinks animals can talk.towny_
I know it's not on topic, but I can't stop watching your signature

YES :D Wicket!
12qazx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 12qazx
Member since 2005 • 1435 Posts

It can be kind of atmospheric at times thanks to the soundtrack. I checked out some of the music tracks for the game on youtube and it's pretty good. The music is probably what makes it feel so special.

Avatar image for longtimelurker0
longtimelurker0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 longtimelurker0
Member since 2013 • 190 Posts

It can be kind of atmospheric at times thanks to the soundtrack. I checked out some of the music tracks for the game on youtube and it's pretty good. The music is probably what makes it feel so special.

12qazx

Music is very important in video games, it can really set a tone for a game. If halo did not have the space monks singing, would not have been the same right? lol

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

It's a lot like real life, honestly. It's the ultimate penis-measuring contest: you collect rare items that no one else has, decorate your home in a way that makes it a candidate for Home & Garden, and make as much money as you can to show that you're fabulously wealthy when folks from the Internet come waltzing through your town gates.

In other words, it's amazing.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Animal Crossing games feel like glorified tech demos
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#23 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It's an excellent game to just chill and relax for a one hour or so a day.

What is so nice about it is that you set your own goals. If you want to simply fish, catch bugs, get a nice house with nice furniture, or simply talk to your neighbors to check the absurd things they have to say, you can do any of that.

If you want to focus on getting super rich, fill up the museum, and get every item there is, you can also do it.

It's a game that has many ways through which one can get enjoyment and be rewarded. There is a lot of freedom regarding what you can do in any given moment.

Still, it is not for everyone.

RoniHot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RoniHot
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts
I like it because there's always something to do. Decorate your house, talk to your neighbors, donate to the museum, catch bugs and fish, etc. And it's kind of a social game without needing a wifi connection because of the animal neighbors in your town.
Hakumen21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hakumen21
Member since 2013 • 359 Posts

it is not for the impatient action fan.
I do wish there were some minigames at least however.

mini-pets (since theyre all animals) would have been nice.