What The Heck is up with this shoulder button epidemic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maledizione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Maledizione
Member since 2008 • 896 Posts

Everybody seems to be having the same problems with their L/R buttons. Is this some incredible electronic feat Nintendo is pulling to make us buy a DSi?

PrincessMorte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 PrincessMorte
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

Oh! I have that with my DS! The L button can be kinda tricky and I think the R button is next.:( That sucks

Team-Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Team-Dragoon
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
lol yea that happened to me on my old DS. I gave it away though and i have a DS Lite now.
blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#4 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
hmm, my friend has had problems with his L buttom. I am fine though, probally because I take good care of it!
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
My L button hasn't given me any trouble but I can definitely feel that my L button is a lot more loose compared to my R button.
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
Technically it's a pandemic... The DS Lite is inferior when it comes to materials and construction and some people probably just don't take care of their DSL.
teamemberrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 teamemberrox
Member since 2006 • 225 Posts

hmm, my friend has had problems with his L buttom. I am fine though, probally because I take good care of it!blooddog28

Taking care of it has nothing to do with your L/R button working, i have never dropped my ds,or got it wet in any way,amd store it in a protective case and my L button doesnt work one bit. But on the other hand, my brother has dropped his ds many times(mostly on asphalt or pavement) and his works just like new(i even have to use his when i play mph or cod). and my ds'(s?) hindge is also broken and his is not. Its not bad treatment, its just useage.(But please try not to harm your ds)

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Urgg...I am TIRED of these topics!

I have said how to fix this problem like 50 times before! And I will say it again.

Stand your DS up, and turn it around (So the text on the back in upright). And blow (like in the N64 days :D) under the L button, into the console.

Works everytime.awssk8er716

I had this problem, Google'd it, and found the answer in two seconds. Nobody believes that the amazing trick works!

angusclone2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 angusclone2
Member since 2008 • 1726 Posts
hmm, my friend has had problems with his L buttom. I am fine though, probally because I take good care of it!blooddog28
Well Said!! I hate it when somebody doesnt care about something so expensive and lets dust and scratches gather on on purpose! Anyway, with my old AND new DS systems, I never noticed shoulder button problems. The do feel a tad unstable sometimes though
Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

L button stopped working on my phat ds; the blowing trick works, but it eventually stops working again (stinks when you're in the middle of a mph match and you can't shoot), and then I got a lite - no problems yet

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I don't think I've ever actually had a Nintendo product break, and I've owned Nintendo since NES. All the accessories, extra controllers, everything.

I'm going to go ahead and blame lack of care from the consumer.

SpringsCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpringsCandy
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts
My lite is fine. Is this happening with all non-DSi's or just the phats?
kelliemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kelliemonster
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

I don't think I've ever actually had a Nintendo product break, and I've owned Nintendo since NES. All the accessories, extra controllers, everything.

I'm going to go ahead and blame lack of care from the consumer.

treedoor

Same here. Although I have heard that a certain early batch of DS lites early on were sold with weaker hinges, the problem shouldn't be an issue now. I've owned two DSes (not to mention almost every handheld predecessor) and have never, ever had anything break or stop working.

Toki1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toki1776
Member since 2005 • 264 Posts

My lite is fine. Is this happening with all non-DSi's or just the phats?SpringsCandy

It seems to happen more on the phats, likely due to the design of the system leading to the L/R buttons getting way more wear if you are putting it in your pocket. I haven't heard about that issue much with Lites, though...

RTS____EX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RTS____EX
Member since 2007 • 195 Posts

Urgg...I am TIRED of these topics!

I have said how to fix this problem like 50 times before! And I will say it again.

[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]Stand your DS up, and turn it around (So the text on the back in upright). And blow (like in the N64 days :D) under the L button, into the console.

Works everytime.awssk8er716

I had this problem, Google'd it, and found the answer in two seconds. Nobody believes that the amazing trick works!

i got that problem and that solution its just temporarily (i had to play contra 4 without weapon change, so i become a lot good), then i pay somoene to fix it... nowadays i have no problems
guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Conspiracy anyone? Mine stopped working while I was playing Chrono Trigger

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
It's mostly the L button. I haven't had any problems though.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

Everybody seems to be having the same problems with their L/R buttons. Is this some incredible electronic feat Nintendo is pulling to make us buy a DSi?

Maledizione
Hahaha, theory of conspiration. Ya know, it would be rather funny if you see this on a newspaper: "Nintendo get sued by intentionally launching rigged products". =P
Nanu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Nanu-
Member since 2008 • 873 Posts
hahaha. Conspiration >.> Maybe you guys need to take care more of your DS's
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Ive never had problems with shoulder buttons in my life...
japanesegoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 japanesegoth
Member since 2004 • 2164 Posts

i am having a little trouble with one of those buttons with the original DS. but i think i got some kind of food stuck in it or something. anyway...it still works but it just sticks a bit.

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts
80% of the reason im upgrading from lite to dsi i was so close to buying a new lite, but i heard about the dsi and i decided to take that route. ninty should of had a recall for a problem thats appears omnipresent. hell i have game i cant even play b/c of my inoperable l-button. im rlly hoping the dsi has some solid reinforcements...
Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
I dropped me DS (small drop) and my right shoulder button feels stiff now. Still works perfectly though.
Writer1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Writer1983
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts
Huh. Right before I got my copy of Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride, my ds lite's left shoulder button got stuck. I take very good care of my ds lite. It travels with me in a padded case, I never drop it, etc. I suspect since I hardly ever use the shoulder buttons I simply got a lot of dust in it. Anyway, after playing Dragon Quest V for a few days (you have to rotate the camera with the L and R buttons to see things in towns and dungeons) my L button seemed to un-stick itself. I think disuse was my problem. (I might have blown in it, too, don't remember!) Hasn't happened since.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

One solution I heard from some people is to blow into the L or R button, as this gets the dust and dirt out. They've said that it really works. I never had the problem so far, though maybe because I haven't needed to use the L or R buttons recently...

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Original DS buttons still going strong on my fat DS. I think dust would only make the buttons feel differently, not prevent them from working properly. You'd need something along the lines of small pebbles or sand inside the buttons to cause problems so the lesson today kids - Don't drop you DS or DS Lite in the sand!
Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#27 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

The DS lite I have has a cracked hinge, so the screen doesn't stay open very well, and it makes it harder to actually hit the L and R buttons. I haven't had a problem with them not working though. I'm getting a DSi on release anyway, so I only have 26 days left to wait.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
people need to protect their consoles 360 owners are worse they say they look after them but its untrue my ds is mint.
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#29 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts

The DS lite I have has a cracked hinge, so the screen doesn't stay open very well, and it makes it harder to actually hit the L and R buttons. I haven't had a problem with them not working though. I'm getting a DSi on release anyway, so I only have 26 days left to wait.

Luigi12901
Enjoy your DSI im ugrading aswell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 17771771
Member since 2008 • 444 Posts

I've owned my DS for 2 years now, and I have had no problems with the L&R buttons.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#31 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

TX360

Enjoy your DSI im ugrading aswell.

Thanks

DickDerrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DickDerrell
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I've had my DS for many years now and it's still going strong in those buttons. Don't use them often though unless I play MegaMan..
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

That's only happened to me with my SP (Black) with both L and Rso I got another one which is blue and they work fine.

My DS is new so no problems here.