What do you think about the new Nintendo DS (DSi)?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 LuckyChan
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts

Let me throw my comments on the new DSi first.

I have a mixed feeling of this new version of DSi.

First of all, the camera coming with DSi is very poor in quality as far as I hear. It is only 0.3 megapixel (even worse than some free cell phones). Since cell phone is very common nowadays, such an addition is not helpful for most people.

Another big minus is the loss of GBA slot. If you are still playing GBA games you will miss it a lot. Also some DS games interact with GBA (eg Castlevania). You lose a bit of gameplay after this upgrade.

That thing becomes more power-hungry. This means the battery life is shorten considerably, and you have a shorten playing time (I hear that it can last about 9 hours even if you use the darkest screen settings). :(

I don't quite like the fact that it moves the power button up on to the surface of the control panel (ie next to the bottom screen). The power is a button so it is possible that we may mispress when we are playing some intensive games. Sigh!

Comparing with DS Lite, the screen is only slightly larger. It sems Nintendo likes to make the screen just slightly bigger on each version upgrade. Why Nintendo doesn't make the largest possible screen in the first place? Why Nintendo? What's your purpose?

DSi shop can be a plus but that means you will be tempted spend more money on DS. We still don't know how useful/great the DSWare are.

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LuckyChan

If Nintnedo is going to upgrade the Nintendo DS, in fact I would be more willing to see those upgrades instead:
* upgrade top screen to touchscreen (so both top and bottom are touchscreens, creating a lot of potentials and new gameplay)
* support multiple-touch technology (currently if you have 2 points of contact in the touchscreen at the same time, it will only detect it as one contact)
* making the largest possible screen once and for all (don't just do it bit by bit in each version

All in all this DSi is a mixture of upgrades and downgrades. You get something but also lose something. You lose money to upgrade and downgrade something. After all it really depends on how you value the features you get and you lose, and how you value money. If you ask me, it isn't worth it. For that amount of moeny, I expect I will get a much better DSi in nearly all aspects, instead of something with several pluses and minuses.

PS: DSi is selling at a higher price than DS Lite. For people who want to save some money they may go for DS Lite as well.

_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
I am sick and tired of Nintendo releasing all these new advance versions of a system. They should spend their time creating a new system not some piece of **** that does the exact same thing as the previous handheld. I hope that it fails miserably.
podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts

Stop making these stupid threads just use the stickied thread to talk about the DSi.

geez...

Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts

Let me throw my comments on the new DSi first.LuckyChan

great, i love blog post threads

LuckyChan

ok

First of all, the camera coming with DSi is very poor in quality as far as I hear. It is only 0.3 megapixel (even worse than some free cell phones). Since cell phone is very common nowadays, such an addition is not helpful for most people.

LuckyChan

better than ds lite's camera, ZING

Another big minus is the loss of GBA slot. If you are still playing GBA games you will miss it a lot. Also some DS games interact with GBA (eg Castlevania). You lose a bit of gameplay after this upgrade.

LuckyChan

only gba game connectivity that matters is pokemon. also nintendo will probably offer gba games for download. also ppl who own gba games already own a older ds or GASP! a gameboy advance

That thing becomes more power-hungry. This means the battery life is shorten considerably, and you have a shorten playing time (I hear that it can last about 9 hours even if you use the darkest screen settings). :(

LuckyChan

yup, thats the main down side. luckly the batteries recharge >_>

I don't quite like the fact that it moves the power button up on to the surface of the control panel (ie next to the bottom screen). The power is a button so it is possible that we may mispress when we are playing some intensive games. Sigh!LuckyChan

yup, its kind of like the original ds. also i think its pretty cool how you can "sigh" with such excitement.

Comparing with DS Lite, the screen is only slightly larger. It sems Nintendo likes to make the screen just slightly bigger on each version upgrade. Why Nintendo doesn't make the largest possible screen in the first place? Why Nintendo? What's your purpose?

LuckyChan

so we dont end up carrying around a tv in our pants. >_>

DSi shop can be a plus but that means you will be tempted spend more money on DS. We still don't know how useful/great the DSWare are.

LuckyChan

no we dont.... im hoping for gameboy like vc.

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

I'm assuming the power button will have to be held down for a moment for it to function so we don't accidently kill our gameplay like the original DS.

For me, main thing that bugs me about the DSi is the fact it makes changes on the actual hardware itself, basically meaning there'll be games coming out only for it to take advantage of its dual touch-screen, when Nintendo should have just made the system the same, but with the addition of the frills. (camera, SD-slot, music playback, etc)

gamehippieabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamehippieabc
Member since 2008 • 291 Posts

the gba games are stupid anyway

gamehippieabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamehippieabc
Member since 2008 • 291 Posts
Like sony hasnt alredy had updates
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Ok, first of all, the purpose of the camera is not just for taking memorable pictures. It's for messing around with photos and for gameplay features such as head tracking. As for the GBA slot, will you people please accept that the system is dead?! Besides, you can get a pretty cheap GBA witch will play it's own game (Duh) as well as older game boy games. Also, it's likely that past handheld games will be downloadable, maybe even back to the game and watch ones. So, the only point in keeping the slot would have been for add-ons, and as IGN said, the folks their have adjusted in some unknown way so i'm sure that the other companies have as well. Plus, removing the GBA slot probably helped greatly in allowing a hardrive. To your comment about the power button: I highly doubt you could accedently press it if you have any skill at all. Regaurding the screen, has it ever occured to you that making a larger screen could be somewhat difficult and make the DSi more expensive when Nintendo wants us to be able to get it somewhat cheap. Finnaly, how can being tempted to spend money on downloads a bad thing? After all, that's just a diffrent way of saying that there will be games worth buying on the downloadable store which is a good thing in my book anyday. As for the possibility of bad games, i'd say that they've done a decent job with the VC and WW so i doubt they will make any serious errors with the DSi store. And that's about it, good day.
Nintendoguy325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Nintendoguy325
Member since 2008 • 463 Posts
I won't bother getting it. I have the original DS, and there isn't enough of a difference between any of the DS's to give me a reason to buy a new DS.
Link9n17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Link9n17
Member since 2008 • 1491 Posts

Let me throw my comments on the new DSi first.

I don't quite like the fact that it moves the power button up on to the surface of the control panel (ie next to the bottom screen). The power is a button so it is possible that we may mispress when we are playing some intensive games. Sigh!

LuckyChan

all that and I don't like the setup of the dsi menu, I agree with LuckyChan too, that if its more then $160 ($10 more then when I buyed my original DS) then I don't think I'm going to get it. All that I want is a better menu because thats what pushed me over. Also, it wont fail, because 6 year olds parents have money

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LuckyChan

>>better than ds lite's camera, ZING

What are you talking about? DS Lite doesn't have a camera!!

>>yup, its kind of like the original ds. also i think its pretty cool how you can "sigh" with such excitement.

If you have played for a long time and collected a lot of items. Out of a sudden the DS is switched off, what will be your response? I do hope the power button near the screen won't cause me such kinds of problems.

>>so we dont end up carrying around a tv in our pants. >_>

What? Are you suggesting the slightly bigger screen of DSi is equal to carrying around a tv in our pants?
How does your response relate to my question? I'm asking why Nintendo doesn't make the screen as big as the DSi in the first place. Instead they make it slightly larger every time it releases a new version. Why?

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LuckyChan

>> Finnaly, how can being tempted to spend money on downloads a bad thing?

Well, like having credit card, it will tempt you to overspend. If you are someone who are into impulse purchase, this will make you spend money on something that you don't really need. Of course it doesn't bother you if you can control yourself.

After all I didn't say DSware/DSshop is necessarily a bad thing literally. I just point out that DSware can be a plus but they are not free. You have to take out more money from your pocket to get DSware. I'm uncertian how good DSware will be. I know free and great DSware actually existed long ago on the Internet.

redboxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 redboxa
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts

LuckyChan

Exactly his point...

whitefirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whitefirex
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
all i can say about the dsi is that i love it, and will have it day 1 =)
LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LuckyChan
[QUOTE="LuckyChan"]

redboxa

Exactly his point...

Oh I see. It's better than nothing. If you don't mind taking photos with very low quality, then go for it.

redboxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 redboxa
[QUOTE="redboxa"][QUOTE="LuckyChan"]

LuckyChan

Exactly his point...

Oh I see. It's better than nothing. If you don't mind taking photos with very low quality, then go for it.

I think that the outer camera is 3mp,, and the inner vga video camera is 0.3 mp which is like a webcam... I don't know if i'll get the dsi but thats what i heard..

EDIT : Camera specs I said were true people, apparently

MetaKnight50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 MetaKnight50
Member since 2008 • 3533 Posts

I think the Dsi is worth a shot. Someone stated before that you can be able to download GBA games from the Dsware store. Are you able to download GBC games?

redboxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 redboxa

I think the Dsi is worth a shot. Someone stated before that you can be able to download GBA games from the Dsware store. Are you able to download GBC games?

MetaKnight50

if not, theres the illegal alternative...cough cough *sd card*

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts

DSi < DS lite.

less battery life and wider and taller than DS lite is not an upgrade to a portable system.

King_Of_Pwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 King_Of_Pwn
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

How could giving the top screen a touch screen ability help in any way? Answer: It wouldn't it make no sense whatsoever!

I agree that Nintendo really needs to stop improving systems! We'll probably end up with 10 DS's that primarily do the same **** thing!

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LuckyChan

MetaKnight50

I doubt. If Nintendo hasn't changed how it work internally it shouldn't be able to run GBA games without a proper slot 2 device or the like.

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LuckyChan

How could giving the top screen a touch screen ability help in any way? Answer: It wouldn't it make no sense whatsoever!

King_Of_Pwn

Why not? It gives you more flexibility and potentials. For example in a war game, when I click on the factory to build something, it has to change view since it has one touchscreen only. But if we have two touchscreens, it can simply display the factory view on the top screen while I can keep an eye on the war scene.

A few games can ask you to hold your DS like a book to play a game (innovative!). I'll see they would make good uses of 2 touchscreens if it happened.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#24 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

It;s not an upgrade IMO. No GBA slot and less battery life makes it a pointless system to me.

And before any one says it, the SD card slot is NOT a replacement for the GBA slot. They don't do the same thing

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#25 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

MetaKnight50
nintendo never said that we'll be able to download GBA games
MetaKnight50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MetaKnight50
I was only saying this because that topic keeps coming up on other threads such as this.
Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ultima_5

>>yup, its kind of like the original ds. also i think its pretty cool how you can "sigh" with such excitement.

If you have played for a long time and collected a lot of items. Out of a sudden the DS is switched off, what will be your response? I do hope the power button near the screen won't cause me such kinds of problems.

>>so we dont end up carrying around a tv in our pants. >_>

What? Are you suggesting the slightly bigger screen of DSi is equal to carrying around a tv in our pants?
How does your response relate to my question? I'm asking why Nintendo doesn't make the screen as big as the DSi in the first place. Instead they make it slightly larger every time it releases a new version. Why?

LuckyChan

lol next time just use the quote button in the corner of the post :)

sorry about the snarky remarks :D

anyway i am looking foward to the new dsi. also the reason the screen isnt as big as possible is because the main form of games will be ds games. they would look awful if they are stretched out to much.

Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ultima_5
[QUOTE="MetaKnight50"]

BuryMe

yes but it we are all assuming that we will be able to download gba games. i mean nintendo would be stupid not to put them up on the ds vc >_>

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#29 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well im in the same delima only double since i like plaing 4 playersl , i owned 4 dses 2 phat 2 lite, im temptin to replace one of the phats with a used pha for 79.99 and wait a while for the dsi to replace my 2nd phat, if it becomes to long i think im gonna get a new ds lite, id probably end up doin so any way ,,

the reason im replacing the 2 is one the top screen is broken on one, cracked on the other, the first one isnt crack it just isn showing a picture,

if the price is over 200 , im passing , if its 200 and under im getting one to replace one , or just to have it,

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LuckyChan

sorry about the snarky remarks :D

anyway i am looking foward to the new dsi. also the reason the screen isnt as big as possible is because the main form of games will be ds games. they would look awful if they are stretched out to much.

Ultima_5

No. You got the wrong way. That's not what I'm trying to say.

I'm saying the screen size of DSi is slightly larger than DS Lite. And it is also slightly larger than the DS Original.

I read somewhere and it says sadly Nintendo could have easily added a bigger main display from the get-go. Even a casual glance at the DS reveals vast amounts of wasted real estate surround the main display.

Seeing the advance of modern technology, there isn't any technical barrier they make the screen the optimal size in the first place.

To put it simple, why not Nintendo make a DSi screen size in the first place?

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LuckyChan
[QUOTE="BuryMe"][QUOTE="MetaKnight50"]

Ultima_5

yes but it we are all assuming that we will be able to download gba games. i mean nintendo would be stupid not to put them up on the ds vc >_>

As far as I know, Nintendo DS can't run it in that way. DS games and GBA games run differently. It has removed the device which is responsible for running GBA games. I really doubt we can run it straight from the SD Slot.

Even if so, we have to purchase the same game twice just to play on the new DSi unless they offer it for free for the owner of the game. Argh...

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LuckyChan
By the way, the price of the DSi is going to be more expensive. And I expect the price o DS Lite will fall at the time the new Si releases.
Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ultima_5

As far as I know, Nintendo DS can't run it in that way. DS games and GBA games run differently. It has removed the device which is responsible for running GBA games. I really doubt we can run it straight from the SD Slot.LuckyChan

you would be surprised what you can do w/ a sd card slot. i mean look at the psp. theres mods to play snes games on it, and i doubt sony built the psp w/ the intention of playing snes games :|

Even if so, we have to purchase the same game twice just to play on the new DSi unless they offer it for free for the owner of the game. Argh...

LuckyChan

thats the point :)

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LuckyChan
[QUOTE="LuckyChan"]

As far as I know, Nintendo DS can't run it in that way. DS games and GBA games run differently. It has removed the device which is responsible for running GBA games. I really doubt we can run it straight from the SD Slot.Ultima_5

you would be surprised what you can do w/ a sd card slot. i mean look at the psp. theres mods to play snes games on it, and i doubt sony built the psp w/ the intention of playing snes games :|

That's interesting. SD card slot is just a memory (storage) card slot.

I guess you may perhaps need to change the firmwire of the Nintendo DS itself by running a mod in the memory card. But is there any risk of bricking your Nintendo DS?

Luxray10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Luxray10
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I've heard it on Youtube, it sounds cool but will the new pkm Platinum be able to play on that?
kbkb221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kbkb221
Member since 2008 • 508 Posts
stop arguing with each other... why dont you guys just wait for it... but me i wont wait.. im gonna buy the ds lite.. this month.. haha
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
The DS is trying to do too much,and I find many of its new additions to be rather pointless; I just want it to play games,and it is for that reason why I'm sticking with my regular DS.
LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LuckyChan

stop arguing with each other... why dont you guys just wait for it... but me i wont wait.. im gonna buy the ds lite.. this month.. hahakbkb221

Fierce argument is not encouraged but it's nothing wrong to discuss.

Forum is a place for discussion after all. ;)

aquajet16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 aquajet16
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
aw that's too bad so I won't buy it for vanity's sake because of the cam :P. If the battery life is that low, then I won't bother really. Can't exchange a silly camera over more ours of gaming action. Also, people who play Pokemon D/P might actually borrow from their friends an older DS just to insert their FR/LG slot to maximize their pokedex.
aquajet16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 aquajet16
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts

DSi < DS lite.

less battery life and wider and taller than DS lite is not an upgrade to a portable system.

Jdog30

Is it really wider? I heard it would be 12% less than the lite's size. Well, let's just see.

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LuckyChan
[QUOTE="Jdog30"]

DSi < DS lite.

aquajet16

Is it really wider? I heard it would be 12% less than the lite's size. Well, let's just see.

The screen is slightly larger. Nintendo seems enjoy raising the screen size a bit every time it releases a new system, making me wonder why it doesn't make use of the wasted space in the first place.

After all, even though the screen size is a bit larger, the pixel resolution is still the same.

MetaKnight50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MetaKnight50
i
[QUOTE="aquajet16"][QUOTE="Jdog30"]

DSi < DS lite.

LuckyChan

The screen is slightly larger. Nintendo seems enjoy raising the screen size a bit every time it releases a new system, making me wonder why it doesn't make use of the wasted space in the first place.

After all, even though the screen size is a bit larger, the pixel resolution is still the same.

if i were you guys i wouldn't buy it. just look at the price

http://www.google.com/products?q=Nintendo+dsi&hl=en

halosonic2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 halosonic2
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts
if it has GB VCON, it'll be worth it.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#44 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Like sony hasnt alredy had updatesgamehippieabc

Thats correct! when the PSP upgrades the DS upgrades, when the DS upgrades the PSP upgrades. Its not about gaming. Its a business, but children will never understand that. Technology will always be about the UPGRADE!

Bring out the system that plays both PSP & DS games, that what I want!

kbkb221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kbkb221
Member since 2008 • 508 Posts
guys.. did you see the new news about the dsi.. it has games with connects to the camera? i think warioware?.. crappp.. i can't wait till april.. still don't know if i still buying ds lite this month..
LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LuckyChan

Thats correct! when the PSP upgrades the DS upgrades, when the DS upgrades the PSP upgrades. Its not about gaming. Its a business, but children will never understand that. Technology will always be about the UPGRADE!

Bring out the system that plays both PSP & DS games, that what I want!

Coolyfett

LOL. Well said. I want a device which can plays both PSP & DS too. :D

LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LuckyChan

guys.. did you see the new news about the dsi.. it has games with connects to the camera? i think warioware?.. crappp.. i can't wait till april.. still don't know if i still buying ds lite this month..kbkb221

To what extent?

If it's something like shooting your face to create custom avatar, well nice gimmicks but not interesting enough for an upgrade.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

A 17% enlargement doesn't seem to make much of a difference as far as screen size is concerned, but at least that's better than nothing.

For me, the abilities to adjust sound pitch, video software, built-in browser, and the DSi shop make it worthy of a purchase since I'm a bit of a technophile.

I wonder if it uses the same standard type of lithium ion battery as the DS Lite though. Why Nintendo won't supply the DSi with a higher capacity battery like 3200 mAh is beyond me.

Nshadow23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Nshadow23
Member since 2008 • 416 Posts
The DSi is good, but I'm not going to get it.
LuckyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LuckyChan

A 17% enlargement doesn't seem to make much of a difference as far as screen size is concerned, but at least that's better than nothing.BladesOfAthena

But the pixel resolution stays the same. The actual physical increase in screen size is pretty small (despite the apparent nice percentage increase). So it shouldn't be a big deal.