Was this a bad Sales move by Nintendo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JamTKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 JamTKD
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts
If you remember (or ever found out) Icarus was originally scheduled as a release title, and Star fox as one coming out in early June. Other games had earlier releases too (Mario Kart originally said to be 6/2) I went to my local gamestop the other day and chatted it up with the clerk and said "Yeah I love my 3DS and SSF4 but the starting lineup besides this game sort of stinks" Then we talked about all the games coming out in August and she's like "Yeah well I calculated it the other day and all the games we just talked about (Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Icarus, and Star Fox, ALL scheduled for 8/02) we're talking almost $300. So you could start paying for them now!" Here's the thing. This is my story ( which i'm sure most of you fall into as well) I just bought this brand new system, and a game. I am buying zelda. I can do a new game every few months. 4 at a time? I'll have to pick two, and may eventually lose sight of the others because of newer releases coming out. Don't you think Nintendo should've taken their popular titles and spread them out a bit?
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
[QUOTE="JamTKD"]"Yeah well I calculated it the other day and all the games we just talked about (Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Icarus, and Star Fox, ALL scheduled for 8/02) we're talking almost $300. So you could start paying for them now!"

You realize those are just tentative dates? Nothing has been confirmed about the release date of any of those games.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendoman562"][QUOTE="JamTKD"]"Yeah well I calculated it the other day and all the games we just talked about (Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Icarus, and Star Fox, ALL scheduled for 8/02) we're talking almost $300. So you could start paying for them now!"

You realize those are just tentative dates? Nothing has been confirmed about the release date of any of those games.

Yeah I think n-man's right. There hasn't been any final word on the release dates of any of these games, the only Nintendo-published game in development that I heard has an official date is Zelda.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

If you remember (or ever found out) Icarus was originally scheduled as a release title, and Star fox as one coming out in early June. Other games had earlier releases too (Mario Kart originally said to be 6/2) I went to my local gamestop the other day and chatted it up with the clerk and said "Yeah I love my 3DS and SSF4 but the starting lineup besides this game sort of stinks" Then we talked about all the games coming out in August and she's like "Yeah well I calculated it the other day and all the games we just talked about (Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Icarus, and Star Fox, ALL scheduled for 8/02) we're talking almost $300. So you could start paying for them now!" Here's the thing. This is my story ( which i'm sure most of you fall into as well) I just bought this brand new system, and a game. I am buying zelda. I can do a new game every few months. 4 at a time? I'll have to pick two, and may eventually lose sight of the others because of newer releases coming out. Don't you think Nintendo should've taken their popular titles and spread them out a bit?JamTKD

No, Nintendo should have taken their popular titles and made them available for launch

The weak software isn't helping the weak 3DS sales and the handheld didn't pick up around Easter like Nintendo had hoped.

From this point on I see them trying to desperately fill voids in the software library whenever they can, if that means launching 4 games to go against each other that's fine because right now Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of timed releases for software

joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
It was pretty irresponsible of gamestop to pass out that release sheet with so many obvious errors on it. There is 0 chance that all of those games ship on 8/2 and gamestop is smart enough to know it. Theyre so desperate for pre orders though that they handed it out knowing the information was false. Shortly after the 3DS shipped the release sheet became highly publicized and to this day a lot of people still seem to believe all of these games are releasing on the same day. Nintnedo is very smart with how they release their first party games. so don't worry you won't go broke on 8/2. . . . .
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="JamTKD"]If you remember (or ever found out) Icarus was originally scheduled as a release title, and Star fox as one coming out in early June. Other games had earlier releases too (Mario Kart originally said to be 6/2) I went to my local gamestop the other day and chatted it up with the clerk and said "Yeah I love my 3DS and SSF4 but the starting lineup besides this game sort of stinks" Then we talked about all the games coming out in August and she's like "Yeah well I calculated it the other day and all the games we just talked about (Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Icarus, and Star Fox, ALL scheduled for 8/02) we're talking almost $300. So you could start paying for them now!" Here's the thing. This is my story ( which i'm sure most of you fall into as well) I just bought this brand new system, and a game. I am buying zelda. I can do a new game every few months. 4 at a time? I'll have to pick two, and may eventually lose sight of the others because of newer releases coming out. Don't you think Nintendo should've taken their popular titles and spread them out a bit?Jaysonguy

No, Nintendo should have taken their popular titles and made them available for launch

The weak software isn't helping the weak 3DS sales and the handheld didn't pick up around Easter like Nintendo had hoped.

From this point on I see them trying to desperately fill voids in the software library whenever they can, if that means launching 4 games to go against each other that's fine because right now Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of timed releases for software

They didn't release any major Nintendo games on purpose to help 3rd parties, which usually struggle to compete with Nintendo games. You could argue whether this was a good strategy or not though, as the launch library is pretty boring. There's no way they are really releasing 4 games on one day though, that's just Gamestop filling in random dates. They do need to start releasing great games for it soon, which it looks like they will. Things aren't as desperate for them as some people seem to be saying though. The DS launch wasn't any better and things turned out fine for it.
helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
They could have at least had the eshop available at launch. They could have kept us occupied until the good games came out.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Jaysonguy

Agree with this...hell even 1 Mario or Metroid or Zelda title.

Excuses about how 1st party titles will dominate over 3rd party titles if release on the same date is just bs

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

Its a bad move that their going already releasing the wii2 or whatever its called. All the focus will shift towards this new console. I am beggining to think nintendo will never live up to their promise of a good marketplace. The wii/dsiware store was a huge letdown as nintendo rarely updated it with any worthwhile content, and the 3DS store will probably be the same with very little games or movies. Also the friends code for the 3DS is very poor and the web browser probably wont be that great either. I wish nintendo would make good on their promises.

pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts

Popular titles will be bought no matter when it gets released or how many other popular titles it gets released with. At least in my opinion. That's what Gamespot is for; I go on here to keep track of when the games I want come out so I know when to go looking for them in stores.

Doesn't mean I always have the money to buy them though. Actually, I rarely get to buy games.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlmightyDerek

Its a bad move that their going already releasing the wii2 or whatever its called. All the focus will shift towards this new console. I am beggining to think nintendo will never live up to their promise of a good marketplace. The wii/dsiware store was a huge letdown as nintendo rarely updated it with any worthwhile content, and the 3DS store will probably be the same with very little games or movies. Also the friends code for the 3DS is very poor and the web browser probably wont be that great either. I wish nintendo would make good on their promises.

tutt3r
I somewhat disagree with you. Wiiware has lots of amazing games, just no one knows about them because nothing is promoted. The only way you can find good games is by going to websites that keep track of Wiiware releases like Nintendolife. I wouldn't know what's good or popular just by going on the shop channel. The DSiware service was even better. I'm confident that the eShop will be much better but still not as good as it should be. I just want to be able to transfer my DSi games now though, I want to be able to play Tetris Party Live.
iAmAbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iAmAbel
Member since 2011 • 860 Posts

Why do gamestop love it and want people to pre order all the time o-o How does it help them in any way? Like the bonuses they give you for preordering?

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Zelda waiting until June was Nintendo giving the 3rd parties a chance to gain a foothold on the new system. They dropped the ball big time and now Nintendos going to clean that up with one blow from the Ocarina

joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joshuarocker

Why do gamestop love it and want people to pre order all the time o-o How does it help them in any way? Like the bonuses they give you for preordering?

iAmAbel
Because they're guaranteed your money. You won't change your mind and go buy it someplace else. . . .and even if you do change your mind they have your $5. You can of course get your $5 back but only in store credit, which of course means you have to buy something there. The whole pre order thing is a huge joke. Very few titles ever completely sell out, consoles are probably a worthwhile preorder, but that's about it. I do pre order games from amazon a lot because of the credit they give you but thats the only reason.
OceansBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OceansBloom
Member since 2011 • 91 Posts
I think at the very least Nintendo should have had Ocarina of Time 3D at launch. They simply did not bring out any flagship games on time and it hurt sales.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlmightyDerek
I think at the very least Nintendo should have had Ocarina of Time 3D at launch. They simply did not bring out any flagship games on time and it hurt sales.OceansBloom
Agreed. I kind of feel like now is the prelaunch. They are just kind of slowly building up everything for the real launch this fall. That's when a good library will have been released and the important features will all be there. We are just basically like test subjects so Nintendo can prepare for when the system is actually ready.
joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 joshuarocker
[QUOTE="OceansBloom"]I think at the very least Nintendo should have had Ocarina of Time 3D at launch. They simply did not bring out any flagship games on time and it hurt sales.AlmightyDerek
Agreed. I kind of feel like now is the prelaunch. They are just kind of slowly building up everything for the real launch this fall. That's when a good library will have been released and the important features will all be there. We are just basically like test subjects so Nintendo can prepare for when the system is actually ready.

I think they were looking to not replicate the problems the wii had. If OOT had been available they probably would have sold a lot more consoles and they may have been afraid of shortages. If that was their plan then it obviously backfired. I believe to some extent the thing about the 3rd party publishers but if OoT releases say 2 weeks after launch then most people still pick up a game or 2 with the system. Or maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist ;)
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AlmightyDerek
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"][QUOTE="OceansBloom"]I think at the very least Nintendo should have had Ocarina of Time 3D at launch. They simply did not bring out any flagship games on time and it hurt sales.joshuarocker

I think they were looking to not replicate the problems the wii had. If OOT had been available they probably would have sold a lot more consoles and they may have been afraid of shortages. If that was their plan then it obviously backfired. I believe to some extent the thing about the 3rd party publishers but if OoT releases say 2 weeks after launch then most people still pick up a game or 2 with the system. Or maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist ;)

It does seem like they could have released it a month after instead of almost 3. It might not matter though, probably in a few years it will have taken off and no one will remember the rocky start it got. The DS was the same way, it started slow and even had a price drop 8 months after coming out and Nintendo even started bundling it with Mario 64 because the PSP was beating it. That all changed with Nintendogs coming out, then Brain Age followed by New Super Mario Bros and the DS Lite and suddenly it became the highest selling system of all time.
joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 joshuarocker
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"][QUOTE="joshuarocker"][QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"] Agreed. I kind of feel like now is the prelaunch. They are just kind of slowly building up everything for the real launch this fall. That's when a good library will have been released and the important features will all be there. We are just basically like test subjects so Nintendo can prepare for when the system is actually ready.

It does seem like they could have released it a month after instead of almost 3. It might not matter though, probably in a few years it will have taken off and no one will remember the rocky start it got. The DS was the same way, it started slow and even had a price drop 8 months after coming out and Nintendo even started bundling it with Mario 64 because the PSP was beating it. That all changed with Nintendogs coming out, then Brain Age followed by New Super Mario Bros and the DS Lite and suddenly it became the highest selling system of all time.

I agree that the rocky start will be forgotten. Just get a few must have games in the market and people will be to busy playing to think back to the beginning. I'm under the umbrella that says nintnedo should always release a console with one of their first party blockbusters. . . .preferably Mario kart, but I'm just sayin. . . . .
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
... probably in a few years it will have taken off and no one will remember the rocky start it got. The DS was the same way, it started slow and even had a price drop 8 months after coming out and Nintendo even started bundling it with Mario 64 because the PSP was beating it. That all changed with Nintendogs coming out, then Brain Age followed by New Super Mario Bros and the DS Lite and suddenly it became the highest selling system of all time.AlmightyDerek
It's about time someone mentioned that.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlmightyDerek
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"]... probably in a few years it will have taken off and no one will remember the rocky start it got. The DS was the same way, it started slow and even had a price drop 8 months after coming out and Nintendo even started bundling it with Mario 64 because the PSP was beating it. That all changed with Nintendogs coming out, then Brain Age followed by New Super Mario Bros and the DS Lite and suddenly it became the highest selling system of all time.El_Zo1212o
It's about time someone mentioned that.

It's probably because everyone forgot. At one point things weren't looking good for the DS. It didn't really have any great games and people thought a bulky two screened handheld with outdated graphics couldn't beat the PSP. For a while in 2005 the PSP was beating it and Nintendo started to get desperate and did a limited time bundle and dropped the price from $150 to $130 (which is still the last real price drop it's gotten). Then everything quickly changed. I think the 3DS is in much better shape, as we already know it has really good games coming soon and the 2 screen/ touch screen concept is already proven and the graphics seem more modern than the DS did when it came out. Things will start getting better soon with the e-Shop opening this month and Ocarina of Time coming out next month and by the end of the year it should be selling very well.