Voice acting in Zelda, How would you want it to be?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

G-dorf11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 G-dorf11
Member since 2009 • 811 Posts

The Zelda fan base seems to be divided into many different categories when it comes to VA. It seems impossible to satisfy the whole Zelda fan base when it comes to VA. But I want to know which category would you fall into and why do you want the choice you selected.

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
Voice Acting would have made Twilight Princess but Link should not talk. I could hear exactly what Telma the barkeep sounded like in my head.
drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

No voice acting but if they did impliment it I would have to vote for Link to never speak a word

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I would like see VA, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Link can never talk.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I voted for no voice acting for the sake of tradition but if they added it I would not mind.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
nonexistent. i don't want voice acting in games where you go to the next dialogue line by pressing A, and this is a must for zelda.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
link stays silent, but everybody else talks. ive also heard an idea of making everybody in hyrule speak a fantasy language. id probably like that idea even more, but it would have to be a functional language (not just gibberish) because theres simply too much dialogue in a zelda game to get away with it.
Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Grunting Link. Always.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34751 Posts
No voice acting in my Zelda, please.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Yes voice acting would go very well with the series. Without Link talking of course.

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

Valve seems to be able to make great games where the protagonist never talks, but everyone around him does. I'd be fine with the majority of the characters speaking and a silent Link.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Seriously.. this topic again? Omg..
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
No voice acting. Of any kind. From anyone. At any time.
Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts

No voice acting. The simple grunts that we usually hear are enough to suffice.

dan1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 dan1776
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts
No voice acting, especially not for Link.
Luigihat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Luigihat4
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The last time Link got voice acting we got him saying such memorable lines like "Gee, it sure is boring around here!" I voted no to voice acting, keep it the way it is.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21705 Posts

No voice acting, please.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

It should have voice acting, but if it doesn't, I won't be surprised, because it wouldn't be the first time the franchise has stayed in the past.

The last time Link got voice acting we got him saying such memorable lines like "Gee, it sure is boring around here!" I voted no to voice acting, keep it the way it is.Luigihat4

Or maybe Nintendo could just hire good voice actors...? The last time Link spoke, the project wasn't even by Nintendo's hands.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Everyone BUT Link talks LATIN. Simple. :P
But you have the OPTION for VA at the beginning of the game.
There's still gonna be text boxes and Nintendo can pull it off. SSBB's intro was in Latin, it's possible.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts
I just can't imagine any of the previous characters of the series with actual voice acting. It's really odd to think about.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS

There's still gonna be text boxes and Nintendo can pull it off. SSBB's intro was in Latin, it's possible.

ANIMEguy10034

why latin? they should speak hylian. there's a hylian alphabet, so why not speaking in hylian. if LotR actors learned elvish for some scenes and the freaking choir sings in elvish, why can't zelda have people speaking hylian.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ANIMEguy10034

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

BrunoBRS

why latin? they should speak hylian. there's a hylian alphabet, so why not speaking in hylian. if LotR actors learned elvish for some scenes and the freaking choir sings in elvish, why can't zelda have people speaking hylian.

I picked Latin because it's a dead language and stuff. :P
I thought those Hylian text were a bunch on scribbles or English backwards. :shock:
I never paid much attention to them.
Too bad I can't go back and look at those texts again. :x

I never seen LotR so I don't know about the elvish language. If they were able to sing in elvish in a matter of years, then I'll go with your suggestion. :)

It would be epic if fans learn to talk Hylian from playing too much Zelda. :o

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

ANIMEguy10034

I thought those Hylian text were a bunch on scribbles or English backwards. :shock:

I never seen LotR so I don't know about the elvish language. If they were able to sing in elvish in a matter of years, then I'll go with your suggestion. :)

i doubt the last paragraph would happen. tolkien wrote an elvish grammar. hylian would just be some random gibberish that sounds like they're speaking something :P

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ANIMEguy10034

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] why latin? they should speak hylian. there's a hylian alphabet, so why not speaking in hylian. if LotR actors learned elvish for some scenes and the freaking choir sings in elvish, why can't zelda have people speaking hylian.

BrunoBRS

i doubt the last paragraph would happen. tolkien wrote an elvish grammar. hylian would just be some random gibberish that sounds like they're speaking something :P

So hylian would be similar to Midna talk? :?
I hope they talk slower than her. Only thing I learned from her was that "oolface" meant "Link" in her language. :lol:

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Animatronic64
^ I learned this from Midna. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6CEA4_U5a4
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]^ I learned this from Midna. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6CEA4_U5a4

i was wondering how long it would take until someone posted one of those midna translations :P
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

No voice acting. Of any kind. From anyone. At any time.wiifan001

Yes or at least not until Nintendo has more then proving themselves in other games with good voice acting

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
No voice acting please. It's gonna get dubbed anyway, and quite frankly, Zelda's English dialogues are way too cheesy to be voiced without being cringe-worthy.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

No, just No, the day they add voices to The Legend of Zelda is the day they kill the series, voice acting, while needed for some games, is mostly for lazy people who can't read, that and I also can't think of a Japanese game that got good english voice actors, except Kingdom Hearts.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BrunoBRS

No, just No, the day they add voices to The Legend of Zelda is the day they kill the series, voice acting, while needed for some games, is mostly for lazy people who can't read, that and I also can't think of a Japanese game that got good english voice actors, except Kingdom Hearts.

spike6958
i like the voice acting in final fantasy XIII. but hey, before we got to this level of voice acting, we had to survive the laughing scene...
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Animatronic64
[QUOTE="spike6958"]

BrunoBRS
i like the voice acting in final fantasy XIII. but hey, before we got to this level of voice acting, we had to survive the laughing scene...

Final Fantasy X and XII had excellent voice acting as well.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Obviously no voice acting is better than bad voice acting.

But, as long as the voice acting is good and the script is good, they should include it. Link though, needs to remain silent.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
link stays silent, but everybody else talks. ive also heard an idea of making everybody in hyrule speak a fantasy language. id probably like that idea even more, but it would have to be a functional language (not just gibberish) because theres simply too much dialogue in a zelda game to get away with it.LoG-Sacrament
This. Someone else here once said the thing that makes Zelda great is that it's a fantasy all it's own, not some Tolkien rip off like D&D or Warcraft. If they all spoke like English with British accents it would break the illusion. Plus, they won't have to pay for extra English voiceovers.
sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts
I was recently replaying both WW and TP, and on both occasions I found myself thinking "It would be nice if someone was reading this." The WW intro, TP intro, and Telma in TP especially. So, yeah, I'd say I'm on the bandwagon.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Nonexistant is fine with me.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

None, problem is I have in my mind what I want Link to sound like ...so having VA if wrong one (eg. FF:Crystal Bearers -where the voice doesn't suit the image imo - sounds horrible) would pretty much ruin it for me.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

spike6958
Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil(the story may be ridiculous as all hell at points but the voice acting isn't bad) The voice acting in games coming from Japan, west is the same as the the voice acting in Japan. It completely depends on whether or not a publisher is willing to shell out for quality voice actors. Like you I noticed you limited only to games made in Japan which means your not about to say things Mass Effect, Uncharted, Arkham Asylum and Bioshock have bad voice acting. What do you think that quality of voice acting can only be found in those games, that kind of voice acting can be in any game from anywhere. i.e Jennifer Hale is Naomi Hunter in Metal Gear Solid, a game from Japan; and she is Samus in the Prime Trilogy a western game, lol though a better example would probably be that she is Commander Shepard in Mass Effect. The same quality voice actor in a game from the west and a game from Japan. When it comes to voice acting in Zelda, I could live without it and if Nintendo did put it in, I doubt they would half ass it.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="spike6958"]

Animatronic64

laughing scene = example of how awful the voice acting in FF X is, according to 99.9% of the people who have listened to the game's voice acting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc they sound like dying crows to me.
Debus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Debus42
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts

No voice acting at all. Silent heroes should be kept that way. Link grunts and shouts as it is, he doesn't need words to get his point across. And it would be impossible to find someone to voice such an old and loved character without uproar from fans.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

No voice acting ever, anywhere. I actually dislike it in all games. I think it's a waste of resources and having some d-list actors recite ham-fisted lines really doesn't add anything to a game. Besides, I can read faster than the actors speak so I typically end up skipping the spoken dialogue anyway.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Animatronic64
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Animatronic64"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i like the voice acting in final fantasy XIII. but hey, before we got to this level of voice acting, we had to survive the laughing scene...

laughing scene = example of how awful the voice acting in FF X is, according to 99.9% of the people who have listened to the game's voice acting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc they sound like dying crows to me.

How do you come up with your statistics? Did you meet everyone who played the game and asked them for yourself? For the most part, Final Fantasy X has excellent voice acting. At least in my opinion. I mean, everyone knows about that scene, it's cringe worthy, but it's not like the whole game is like that....
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BrunoBRS
you took my joke way too seriously...
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Eternal darkness had a really good acting cast, nintendo should call them again

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i don't want voice acting in zelda.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

No voice acting ever, anywhere. I actually dislike it in all games. I think it's a waste of resources and having some d-list actors recite ham-fisted lines really doesn't add anything to a game. Besides, I can read faster than the actors speak so I typically end up skipping the spoken dialogue anyway.

-wildflower-
I wouldn't go that far, it is definitely necessary for a lot of games. Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fallout, NMH; many of those games wouldn't be the same without voice acting. Whether its for constant character building even during gameplay like in Uncharted, jokes like in NMH or atmosphere like in Bioshock, it definitely has its place. People just want it in Zelda because its in everything else. Up until this point Zelda hasn't needed it for any of the things mentioned above; Zelda isn't big on the comedy, that isn't physical humor, Link spends most of his time alone and unlike Samus is not a constant character, so he cant really do the monologue thing and Zelda is not a game that crafts that Metroid like atmosphere throughout. So unless they changed any of that, its still not necessary. But it is necessary in many other games.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

If it's in some made up Hylian language and done well, definitely. Link always has to be silent for me though.

But I'm fine with no voice acting, too. in past zeldas NPC's would sometimes make some sort of grunt as well that would make it kinda easy to imagine how they would sound, so...

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I'd prefer Dragon Age style. Silent hero but everyone else has a voice (Unless they can find someone who's as good as Kratos' voice actor to do a more mellow tone or something.) People in town actually talk about the world, ect. Ability to talk to people with different dialogue options, stuff like that. Oh ya, people have to pronounce names/towns/ect correctly. If it was like The Last Airbender dialogue, I'd destroy my copy of the game and burn it in righteous holy fire.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
It should have voice acting, but if it doesn't, I won't be surprised, because it wouldn't be the first time the franchise has stayed in the pastVGobbsesser
It's nice to see you being so positive about this game :| anyway I don't see why peoople are putting such importance on voice acting in a game like zelda. Orcestrated music however is a must (and probably will be included if what miyamoto said was correct )
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I wouldn't go that far, it is definitely necessary for a lot of games. Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fallout, NMH; many of those games wouldn't be the same without voice acting. Whether its for constant character building even during gameplay like in Uncharted, jokes like in NMH or atmosphere like in Bioshock, it definitely has its place. People just want it in Zelda because its in everything else. Up until this point Zelda hasn't needed it for any of the things mentioned above; Zelda isn't big on the comedy, that isn't physical humor, Link spends most of his time alone and unlike Samus is not a constant character, so he cant really do the monologue thing and Zelda is not a game that crafts that Metroid like atmosphere throughout. So unless they changed any of that, its still not necessary. But it is necessary in many other games. Sepewrath

Yeah, I probably overstated my position a little by saying "all" when I would have been served by saying that "most" games don't need it. The voices in Bioshock did indeed add to the overall creepiness factor of the game much like they did in the System Shock games before it but games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 (assuming you're talking about Bethesda's take on the franchise) in my opinion the voice acting added absolutely nothing and are actually perfect examples of what I was talking about.

In both games I read the text and once I was finished reading I skipped over the rest of the voice acting. Also, Fallout 3 had some of the worst voice acting I've experienced in some time. Often the voices would change in the middle of a conversation so much so that it was often like talking to a completely different NPC. Granted, this is a problem that plagues a lot of Bethesda's games (*cough* Oblivion *cough*).

I mostly play PC RPGs and from my perspective they really don't need voice acting or, at the very least, not in the amount that it's currently being used. Games like Fallout 1 & 2 (the real Fallout games IMHO) Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Wizardry, etc. had limited voice overs and that was fine but the developers didn't feel compelled (and, yes, this probably had a lot to do with the technical limitations of the times) to have every mundane and inconsequential NPC speak. Sometimes, gasp, we as players actually had to read and use our own imaginations. Yeah, shocking I know.

I will freely admit that my bias on this issue probably stems from my being a fossil and that the games I cut my teeth on and that are still amongst my favorite games of all time didn't have a lot of voice acting so I've never really found it necessary and in some cases I find it down right annoying.