Unofficial Wii 2 Rumors Thread *NO FRIEND CODES?+Controller Pics+Console Specs

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

http://www.zeldainformer.com/images/news/nintendo-wii-2.jpg

http://revolt-tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Cafe.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx- Original Game Informer Article

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6308718.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1- Gamespot Rumor Control

http://kotaku.com/#!5792197/the-blindingly-obvious-improvements-we-want-in-wii-2- Kotaku Report

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html- IGN Article

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/14/rumor-multiple-sources-claim-new-nintendo-console-reveal-at-o/- Joystiq Article

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/game-informer-seems-really-sure-nintendo-will-debut-a-new-console-at-e3-2011/3044/- Giant Bomb Article

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6308804.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B2- NEW!! TABLET??? Gamespot Report!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162045p1.html- NEW!! IGN discusses the new controller!

http://wii2blog.com/tag/rockstar-games/- NINTENDO IN TALKS WITH ROCKSTAR GAMES!

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/news/25990/?- MORE GTA NEWS

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6309319.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B6- Retro Studios Developing Game for Wii 2

Special thanks to "thom_maytees" for the contribution!

This is rumor information from a post on the NeoGAF forum and pasted from an entry from Nintendoeverything.com:

- Codenamed "Project Café"
- E3 2011 reveal
- Architecture is very similar to the Xbox 360
- Café is a bit more powerful than the 360
- Easy to port Xbox 360 games
- Retro-compatible with GameCube and Wii games
- Should support all Wii peripherals
- Specs: CPU is custom IBM PowerPC with three cores, GPU should be an ATI from the R700 family, with a shader unit at version 4.1, RAM should be at least 512 Mb
- Controller is a touch tablet, moderate graphic output (sub-HD, not like an iPad)
- Controller specs: 6-inch screen, single touch, front camera, acts as a Wii sensor bar, d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, possibly more
- June 2012 release in Japan, Holiday 2012 release in the West
- Another big surprise for the console that can't be discussed yet

This is rumor information from EDGE (also taken from an entry from Nintendoeverything.com)

- Ubisoft, Activision, EA are among the third-parties working on the console
- These studios have had development units for months
- System retains motion controls
- Its capabilities are "better than Move"
- Unclear if a camera is involved with the console's motion abilities

As always, this information is unconfirmed and can be false.

thom_maytees

Special Thanks to "chris3116" for this tidbit!

Could the 3DS be used as a controller? Ono speculates that Street Fighter IV would have some connectivity with a new Home console and being portable at the same time.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=154340

If so, could we see a huge connectivity to see eShop from the 3DS being at the same time on Project Cafe? Maybe that's why the eShop is not avaible right now on 3DS.

chris3116

http://revolt-tech.com/archives/1190- Pictures and Details of Wii Controller!- Alternate link here-->http://img689.imageshack.us/i/cafewh.jpg/

More new rumors from IGN:

-Pricing between $350 to $400.
-Could be released this year between mid-October and early November.
-Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.
-Console design comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).
-Possible name : Nintendo Stream.

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html

chris3116

NO FRIEND CODES -->http://www.variasuit.com/file/Site/Entries/2011/4/21_Project_Cafe_will_not_use_friend_codes_according_to_1UP.html

Special Note: This thread will be "cleaned up" soon. If any links are found, please comment below and I'll throw them in the original post and throw some credit your way :)

Special Note 2: This is a RUMOR THREAD. Nothing has been outright confirmed as of yet.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

"Game Informer has HEARD from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner."

"We contacted a Nintendo representative regarding this information, and while they wouldn't comment on it or the company's E3 plans, they did sign off with a intriguing "stay tuned."

I'm calling that he is BSing, and this is just an article in disguise. Which sources have you heard from? Yeah, you mentioned NONE in your article.

And Nintendo refuses to comment on e3 plans. No details, absolutely nothing.

Matthew Kato has only the same idea as we do if a new console is coming. It could happen, but he doesn't know anything special or out of the ordinary.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Things just got very very interesting for E3. While I am not particularly ready for a new Nintendo console right now, by the end of 2012 I probably will be though. Should be interesting to see how it all pans out!

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#4 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

Hmm. Could be pretty interesting. I would say that a lot, even may be most E3 rumors end up being true.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WreckEm711

Kotaku also has an article up offering additional evidence on the report

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

I'm not getting my hopes too high but if it's true, thank God!

A Wii finally in HD, with a hard drive, 1080p, better online, demos, and will actually attract multi-platform games like Assassin's Creed instead of turning them away? Still, I don't see it happening. Nintendo seems to be adamant on pushing the 3DS this E3... but playing Legend of Zelda in HD would be too good to be true.

My guess is we'll hear the idea of a new console but they won't reveal anything (yet).

Do you think if there is a new Wii (with an upgraded Virtual Console network) will Nintendo allow us to transfer over our game purchases on the Wii's Virtual Console? Because if Nintendo releases a Wii HD with backwards compatibility for Wii and Gamecube games as well as transferring all my online purchases then I'll trade my Wii in for this new system in a heartbeat.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
That is very possible, but I really hope not.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Late 2012 is a really good time to release a console

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts
The Wii has done remarkably well it's trounced all but it is getting time for Nintendo to step up and have a system that is HD with a good amount of power. Third parties will never continue to support a system that lags so behind the others technology wise. Can you seriously see people buying a Wii in two years time? I'm surprised it's still selling so well with such bad support and lack of quality first party titles even. When you need to buy another system to play the majority of third party titles that is a problem.
Avatar image for Shadowflame1992
Shadowflame1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shadowflame1992
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts

It could be a wise move the jump ahead of the competition.

Sony don't appear to thinking about their next system and from reports we heard a few weeks back. it sounds like Microsoft hace only just started work on theirs.

Looking at the games annouced for the 3DS. they are a lot more 'core' than whats been seen in the last few years so Nintendo focusing on the hardcore market again wouldn't be suprising either.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

I'm calling that he is BSing, and this is just an article in disguise. Which sources have you heard from? Yeah, you mentioned NONE in your article.

Matthew Kato has only the same idea as we do if a new console is coming. It could happen, but he doesn't know anything special or out of the ordinary.

wiifan001

Why would he reveal his sources on information like this? Chances are its a leak and if its true and he ever wants leaked information again (and you bet your butt he does, information = $$$) then he won't reveal his source.

I don't know if its the truth or not, but the timing seems about right, don't you think?

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they did announce a new console. I'm interested in seeing what Nintendo have in store.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Yeah they have to start handing out dev kits if they're aiming for late 2012.

As for the "reveal" is just a "Wii 2 graphics will wow you" comment :P

Elbowsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Elbowsmash
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts

If it's main control scheme is motion-sensing, and 90% of the library = shovelware (but with HD graphics lol)... you can count me out.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiifan001

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]

Arc2012

Why would he reveal his sources on information like this? Chances are its a leak and if its true and he ever wants leaked information again (and you bet your butt he does, information = $$$) then he won't reveal his source.

I don't know if its the truth or not, but the timing seems about right, don't you think?

Of course the timing to release to release an article like this is right. It's a couple months before E3. That means rumors GALORE! But all this author has in his article is, "I've heard this one website has heard that multiple sources say a new Wii successor's on the way. Nintendo won't and never did comment about anything. I have no pics, no specific company or names who confirmed this, but I did hear it from this ONE webiste." Come on! There's nothing in this article about anything. The timing was appropriate last year too about a month and a half before E3, the only difference between this article and last year's article being there's no question mark in this article but that doesn't justify anything.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="Arc2012"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]

wiifan001

Of course the timing to release to release an article like this is right. It's a couple months before E3. That means rumors GALORE! But all this author has in his article is, "I've heard this one website has heard that multiple sources say a new Wii successor's on the way. Nintendo won't and never did comment about anything. I have no pics, no specific company or names who confirmed this, but I did hear it from this ONE webiste." Come on! There's nothing in this article about anything. The timing was appropriate last year too about a month and a half before E3, the only difference between this article and last year's article being there's no question mark in this article but that doesn't justify anything.

If they want the next original MGS, RE, AC etc. they need to hand out dev kits now which means leak, followed by an official confirmation.

We're 1.5 years away from a release and 1 year from the true reveal with game showcases and the next huge Nintendo surprise, it's time!!

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wiifan001

[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="Arc2012"]

SuperFlakeman

If they want the next original MGS, RE, AC etc. they need to hand out dev kits now which means leak, followed by an official confirmation.

We're 1.5 years away from a release and 1 year from the true reveal with game showcases and the next huge Nintendo surprise, it's time!!

All we need is about 3-4 newly announced Wii titles at E3 and the Wii is set for the rest of 2011 and early 2012! We can very well be 2.5 years away or more from release if Nintendo just wants to push more software, which they can do.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SuperFlakeman

All we need is about 3-4 newly announced Wii titles at E3 and the Wii is set for the rest of 2011 and early 2012! We can very well be 2.5 years away or more from release if Nintendo just wants to push more software, which they can do.wiifan001

I agree with you but this is a new type of strategy from Nintendo.

I think they're going with a "Premium" look this gen to counter Apple. Meaning that Wii and DS keep selling really well while 3DS and Wii 2 is out so you'd still have Mario & Sonic in London 2012 for Wii even with its successor out, for example.

MEANWHILE, they force MS and Sony to answer -- making Wii 2 a 300-350$ console is going to be the worst case scenario for them as if they go higher they will get screwed over a la PS3 and if they stay on par with Wii 2 they will suffer from differentiation.

I hope this works, and whatever new feature they've got cooking is deep enough that if MS/Sony copy it they risk alienating their fanbase (I'm thinking Wii speaker / mic / touch screen type of crazy thing i.e. control interactivity)

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

An announcement of the console at E3 this year and a release next year would be pretty much in line with historical precedent. Nothing too surprising here.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Nothing here seems to unusual. Late 2012 is an unsurprising launch date and I would expect the next Nintendo console to be HD. Wii is aging worse eveymonth so it's time to move up. Maybe next gen we will be playing games like Mass Effect on a Nintendo console too.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I said this many times. Talk this year and release it next year. In November, Wii will have 5 years. Nintendo has the same cycle about talking or releasing new hardware after 5 years. I'm not surprised.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Found another update on this rumored console

The source CVG says that console willl come with a controller that has an HD screen on it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298241/news/wii-2-has-all-new-hd-controller-out-2012-sources/

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JuarN18
A built in HD screen in a controller is so.... Stupid
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SuperFlakeman

Found another update on this rumored console

The source CVG says that console willl come with a controller that has an HD screen on it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298241/news/wii-2-has-all-new-hd-controller-out-2012-sources/

super600

LOL I just speculated something like this in my previous post.

Controler Interactivity -- Wii 2.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

I think it's only common sense,ppl who don't think there will be a succesor are dumb.

Like a year ago,Metroid head Yoshio Sakamoto was one of the first to drop a hint at a new console.

All this is rather obvious.

It's about time for a console.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Awesome. I will preorder it as soon as I can. I just hope nintendo has their online together this time. They are ussually behind alittle so this next time the online should be similar to what the ps3 and xbox are now.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

A built in HD screen in a controller is so.... StupidJuarN18

Isn't the first time it's been done.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

wheather or not we get a new nintendo console by 2012, I dont really care, but I would love some solid details on the Wii's succesor.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

Can't wait, I love Nintendo games and do wish to play them again on a home console. I hope they do this one right because only so much can be done if they cater soley to the casual. I have faith though :)

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WreckEm711

IGN is also reporting on it being at 1080p

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AutoPilotOn

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]A built in HD screen in a controller is so.... StupidHaziqonfire

I loved my DC but that was pretty pointless.
robbob8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 robbob8888
Member since 2009 • 489 Posts

Holy cow. The fricken internet is on fire today with all these delicious rumors. This is awesome :) makes me excited :)

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AutoPilotOn

Holy cow. The fricken internet is on fire today with all these delicious rumors. This is awesome :) makes me excited :)

robbob8888
Oh yea I love before a new console is announced brings alot of excitement. I can't wait for a new console. A new nintendo system that backwards compable with at least current gen graphics and good online with nintendo games would be a must have.
robbob8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 robbob8888

[QUOTE="robbob8888"]

AutoPilotOn

Oh yea I love before a new console is announced brings alot of excitement. I can't wait for a new console. A new nintendo system that backwards compable with at least current gen graphics and good online with nintendo games would be a must have.

Brings a hella of a lot of excitement :D I loved this time during the switch from GCN to Wii with E3 05 and 06 :D And yes, I agree. With those basics that you listed, it is a must have.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AutoPilotOn
I am already itching to preorder one lol. I dont have a wii anymore but I do love nintendo games. Their online just always kills it for me. Even if I am not playing a game online I like feeling connected with friends lists and messaging. I can't wait to hear offical word from nintendo.
Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

!!! :D

And so the race for the next gen begins...

Well, its not really a race... Some say there wont be a new Ps3 for 5 years... and I havent heard much about an Xbox succesor in the near future

Im glad Nintendo is handling this one right. Letting 3rd party developers get a head start, and making much more improved graphics hopefully.

As long as the fix the dismal online experience that came with the Wii, its all good baby 8)

robbob8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 robbob8888
I am already itching to preorder one lol. I dont have a wii anymore but I do love nintendo games. Their online just always kills it for me. Even if I am not playing a game online I like feeling connected with friends lists and messaging. I can't wait to hear offical word from nintendo. AutoPilotOn
I cannot wait either :D
Grillinnap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grillinnap
Member since 2010 • 135 Posts

Wait, Nintendo will revert back to controllers?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#39 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nintendo will unviel it and give details lol they wont be secretive this time they need sales , and support, theyll get it,

with a hd console im expecting free online like psn and hard drive 300 bucks or less, id buy it , period end of story and i wont be preording ngp for those who wonder now , this changed my mind why pay 350 when i can get a new console

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#40 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts

Late 2012 is a really good time to release a console

JuarN18
I agree.
Cheese-Muffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cheese-Muffins
Member since 2008 • 569 Posts

... but playing Legend of Zelda in HD would be too good to be true.

DrRockso87

Legend of Zelda with vast volumetric dynamic lighting and teh foliage?

OMNOMNOMNOM :D

IPwnNooBs666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IPwnNooBs666
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts

I so can't wait for this year's E3. The Wii HD will be freaking awesome if the rumors are true. I better start saving up now.

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Oh my god, if this is true... OOOO:
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

It could be a wise move the jump ahead of the competition.Shadowflame1992

yes. im starting to think they should release it summer of 2012.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JuarN18

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]A built in HD screen in a controller is so.... StupidHaziqonfire

i hate that controller, my thumb cries every time i use that D-pad and the screen is pointless

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]A built in HD screen in a controller is so.... StupidJuarN18

i hate that controller, my thumb cries every time i use that D-pad and the screen is pointless

I actually think it's the best controller ever. It's hard to find a controller that has a D-Pad and Joystick in which neither is sacrificed. The Dualshock has the worst left analog stick, and the 360 has the worst d-pad, Gamecube had a useless D-Pad because it was small. The N64 controller I liked because it had a separate handle for the joystick and d-pad therefore not sacrificing either one.

The Dreamcast hits it right on the money if you ask me.

It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo appeals to third parties with a new controller. Motion controls will be there, but will there also be a traditional controller that is actually used often unlike the Wii

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

It will need to have a strong online presence and quality 3rd party support in order for it to thrive and appease the hardcore market. Maybe with all the money Nintendo has made off of the Wii and DS, they could afford to release to this system at an affordable price point that won't scare off the casual audience. $299 for an all new next gen platform wouldn't be bad at all.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I just hope they go all out with the tech on this one. Not sure how a screen on the controller would work, I like Nintendo doing different things, as long as its not the selling point of the console.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mariokart64fan

and guess what im getitng this ,

a hd screen for the controller isnt stupid maybe its a hybrid handheld /console who knows , and nintneod isnt stupid

see what they did i cant say it here,

but they did somthing very slick and very smart just put this way kenict is supposed to be 360s half point whats that mean ---5 more yrs of 360 your right ,, that puts wii 2 3 yrs into its life before ms finally hits that,

and the wii is goin on 6 , and theres an announcment coming this e3, well coming that 6th yr which would be 3 yrs, nintneods hot in pursuit of you know what , your smart you figure this out just say n7 you hit the nail on the head

nintnedo knows how to sell things it may sound stupid on paper , but imagine what you can do with that screen what can be done

could nintnedo possibly making a console that is also a portable which goes back to that third pillar messsage they sent yrs ago

this could be very revolutionary

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mariokart64fan

ok i got a good question the one last article said wii remote wasnt compatible how the heck are wii games then lol contradiction?