Uh WiiWare is cool and all but...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarioMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 MarioMellow
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts
*Start Rant* Are we seriously going to have to use little SD cards as a damn harddrive forever? External harddrive please?! Come on Nintendo.... *End Rant* Comments.....
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
Well first it would be nice if they'd even allow that luxury. (instead of forcing us to run everything off of internal)
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
There'll be a harddrive eventually. Since that's been one of the principle complaints for the Wii odds are Nintendo's taken notice.
MarioMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MarioMellow
Well first it would be nice if they'd even allow that luxury. (instead of forcing us to run everything off of internal)ThePlothole
True but seriously they have to have a plan the memory inside can not handle many "Wii Ware" games. Nintendo knows this...Don't they want WiiWare to be as successful as it can? I have heard s USB external was in development on a forum.. but that was just a rumor...Have you or anyone heard anything factual?
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JAB991

True but seriously they have to have a plan the memory inside can not handle many "Wii Ware" games. Nintendo knows this...Don't they want WiiWare to be as successful as it can? I have heard s USB external was in development on a forum.. but that was just a rumor...Have you or anyone heard anything factual?MarioMellow

There's a limit on how large WiiWare games can be so they don't consume you entire memory. It's the same plan as for VC games, except these games are new.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ThePlothole

[QUOTE="MarioMellow"]True but seriously they have to have a plan the memory inside can not handle many "Wii Ware" games. Nintendo knows this...Don't they want WiiWare to be as successful as it can? I have heard s USB external was in development on a forum.. but that was just a rumor...Have you or anyone heard anything factual?JAB991

There's a limit on how large WiiWare games can be so they don't consume you entire memory. It's the same plan as for VC games, except these games are new.

I'm pretty sure they said there would be no strict limit on wiiware game size. Only that they would encourage smaller sizes.

Of course even VC game sizes have proven too much, as a lot of people have completely run out of space.

MarioMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MarioMellow
[QUOTE="JAB991"]

[QUOTE="MarioMellow"]True but seriously they have to have a plan the memory inside can not handle many "Wii Ware" games. Nintendo knows this...Don't they want WiiWare to be as successful as it can? I have heard s USB external was in development on a forum.. but that was just a rumor...Have you or anyone heard anything factual?ThePlothole

I'm pretty sure they said there would be no strict limit on wiiware game size. Only that they would encourage smaller sizes.

Of course even VC game sizes have proven too much, as a lot of people have completely run out of space.

Exactly. It is the year 2008..There is technology out there Nintendo needs to put out a hard drive or the worlds first ever 20GB SD card...lol
IronManRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IronManRhino
Member since 2005 • 2135 Posts
I'm out of space, and can only use 1 n64 game at a time, I don't want to do the same with wiiware games, nintendo has to be sorting this out, right? I hope so.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="JAB991"]

[QUOTE="MarioMellow"]True but seriously they have to have a plan the memory inside can not handle many "Wii Ware" games. Nintendo knows this...Don't they want WiiWare to be as successful as it can? I have heard s USB external was in development on a forum.. but that was just a rumor...Have you or anyone heard anything factual?MarioMellow

Exactly. It is the year 2008..There is technology out there Nintendo needs to put out a hard drive or the worlds first ever 20GB SD card...lol

Actually, SD cards are being made in up to 32GB now. However the Wii only supports the SD1.1 standard, which limits it to 2GBs max.

MarioMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MarioMellow
[QUOTE="MarioMellow"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="JAB991"]

[QUOTE="MarioMellow"]True but seriously they have to have a plan the memory inside can not handle many "Wii Ware" games. Nintendo knows this...Don't they want WiiWare to be as successful as it can? I have heard s USB external was in development on a forum.. but that was just a rumor...Have you or anyone heard anything factual?ThePlothole

Actually, SD cards are being made in up to 32GB now. However the Wii only supports the SD1.1 standard, which limits it to 2GBs max.

Well... dammit
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts
[QUOTE="JAB991"]

Here's the quote you're talking about:

LINK

Now, there is one part that says "Nintendo is officially cl@ssifying the information as "speculation" despite the statement above", so I don't know what to make of it.

I have a feeling that when they say that they are going to "encourage smaller, more compact games for the service", it means that they are putting a cap on it. Of course, that's just my sinister speculation at work. :twisted:

All I know is that if there is a 40MB limit, Hell, even a 100 MB limit, you can still have 20 games on the SD card (if they'll allow it). Personally, I don't see myself buying 20 or more WiiWare games, so as long as they include SD card support, I'll be happy.

Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

ThePlothole
Well actually there are some 4 GB SD cards out there that work with the Wii but they're hard to come by.
komdosina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 komdosina
Member since 2003 • 4972 Posts
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

Cowmanik

Well actually there are some4 GB SD cards out there that work with the Wii but they're hard to come by.

Well the problem is that you have to download them again as opposed to directly accessing it, like the internal flash drive. Nintendo either needs to gives us new firmware to allow direct saves and downloads on SD cards or make a specialized Nintendo brand SD card that works like the memory cards did for the Gamecube.

As for 2 or 4 gigs that's fine, along with the few hundred megs of internal memory that the Wii has. That's enough for game saves, VC, WiiWare and DLC, if you happen to run out space put in another SD card. Again though the problem is lack of direct saving and downloading that Nintendo needs to address or hope they will.

XxXdoggersXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XxXdoggersXxX
Member since 2007 • 370 Posts
well wii has 2 ports for a usb drive so there will be prob an update when wiiware comes out letting plug certain branded external hard drives like 400gig ones =P
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JAB991

well wii has 2 ports for a usb drive so there will be prob an update when wiiware comes out letting plug certain branded external hard drives like 400gig ones =PXxXdoggersXxX

If they let us use external harddrives, even if only Nintendo-branded ones, I would forgive Nintendo for DK Barrel Blast.

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
I'm sorry, but idealy, you can fit 50 WiiWare games on a 2GB SD card, and that's assuming they're all 40 MB games....You really plan on buying 'em all?
blingchu55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blingchu55
Member since 2007 • 3098 Posts

Ive said this time and time again, THEY ARE MAKING A HARDRIVE

not might be, or should be, but are be!

IronManRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IronManRhino
Member since 2005 • 2135 Posts

blingchu55
You sound pretty sure of yourself, how do you know?
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JAB991
[QUOTE="blingchu55"]

IronManRhino

No one knows fo sure, but it's a very safe bet that it'll happen eventually. The demand for a harddrive is just too large to ignore.

blingchu55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blingchu55
Member since 2007 • 3098 Posts
[QUOTE="blingchu55"]

IronManRhino

izayoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 izayoi
Member since 2003 • 1718 Posts
The WiiWare games seem to be much bigger compared to the vc games.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

Cowmanik

Well actually there are some 4 GB SD cards out there that work with the Wii but they're hard to come by.

True. That's because 4GB SD1.1 cards are non-standard, and as a result face severe compatiblity issues.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ThePlothole

I'm sorry, but idealy, you can fit 50 WiiWare games on a 2GB SD card, and that's assuming they're all 40 MB games....You really plan on buying 'em all?ozzsoad

Nintendo did speficially deny that 40MB was a cap for Wiiware game.

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

[QUOTE="ozzsoad"]I'm sorry, but idealy, you can fit 50 WiiWare games on a 2GB SD card, and that's assuming they're all 40 MB games....You really plan on buying 'em all?ThePlothole

That's fine, but how big do you suspect these games will be? I can't see the Final Fantasy game being bigger than 100 MB, or Doctor Mario being over 15 MB. You can fit a lot of games on an SD card.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts
Nintendo will most likely add some kind of storage device that will allow for extra space, but they been losing money from people hacking and modding wiis. Pretty much one of the wiis biggest protections is the firmware chip in the wii that blocks the usage of the wii's usb ports. To allow more devices into the wii they might allow more weakness and so i think that nintendo is trying to hold off on external space for aslong as possible.
link631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 link631
Member since 2006 • 615 Posts
thats right
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

[QUOTE="ozzsoad"]I'm sorry, but idealy, you can fit 50 WiiWare games on a 2GB SD card, and that's assuming they're all 40 MB games....You really plan on buying 'em all?ozzsoad

That's fine, but how big do you suspect these games will be? I can't see the Final Fantasy game being bigger than 100 MB, or Doctor Mario being over 15 MB. You can fit a lot of games on an SD card.

Who can say right now. Of course we don't even know if they'll ever allow us to run games off of SD. If they keep the model they've been using for the VC, we may be forced to micro-manage our internal space a lot more.

Is Nintendo going to let people re-download purchased WiiWare games like they do VC games? That'll be a lot of bandwidth if they do.

Sancroff

Bandwidth is incredibly cheap these days.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
There has GOT to be a hard drive, there's no way around it since some of the Wiiware games look like Gamecube games and there is no size limit.
codemasterzxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 codemasterzxc
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts
well i was thinking, everyone knows one problem with the hd is that it is external, and that is a problem since the wii is a sleek small system, nintendo wants to maintain that image, now wii utalizes bluetooth, the fast wireless transfering technology that we all know and love, why not make a wireless bluetooth hd?? that would solve the problem of where to put it, answer: anywhere. i mean it is simple logic, i dont know if this has been thrown around before, but i like the idea. and it would only be time after that before cell phone bluetooth for file transfers and stuff, and maybe even a comon blutooth headset woudl function, i dont know, im thinking out of the box, but that is how the wii was made wasnt it? thinking out of the box
Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
[QUOTE="JAB991"]

yeap... if you check the last arcticle by GS talking about Wiiware (GCD) they pretty much say so... And they have to make a way of larger storage.. They do not know yet how many games would be for launch but they have 100+ in develope, it does not matter how small they are, they are a LOT. That + VC + save data + whatever = NEED for more storage. Firmware update for compatibily with HD or whatever to about piracy but something.

Oh and here is the article for those that have not see it yet. :D

makaveli_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 makaveli_89
Member since 2006 • 3415 Posts
im really hoping Nintendo will come out with a hard drive of some sort for all the VC and WiiWare games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

im really hoping Nintendo will come out with a hard drive of some sort for all the VC and WiiWare games.makaveli_89

yea.. the only reason why i`m watching GDC this year is that... pry they would no saay a thing about it.. but.. hope is the last thing to lose I guess :oops:

There is not other major conference before May, right???

gamershq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamershq
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts
Why does Nintendo need a external hard drive? SD Cards are way cheaper and a 2GB card can hold a ton of games!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Why does Nintendo need a external hard drive? SD Cards are way cheaper and a 2GB card can hold a ton of games!!gamershq

oh yea... it does not have to be a externar HD.. but they have to make it possible to play from the SD card. (that would work as HD of 2Gb... i`m Ok with that) But the copy/paste and losing save point or whatever bc you can not play from the SD card is plain silly imho :P

gamershq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamershq
If they release one then it would only be a matter of time before some hacker will break into it. Thus making it possible to get away with sharing VC games and Wiiware games for free. Why should Nintendo let these freaking hackers even have a shot at it? I say stay with the SD cards and let the cry babies cry.
gamershq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamershq

[QUOTE="gamershq"]Why does Nintendo need a external hard drive? SD Cards are way cheaper and a 2GB card can hold a ton of games!!chang_1910

oh yea... it does not have to be a externar HD.. but they have to make it possible to play from the SD card. (that would work as HD of 2Gb... i`m Ok with that) But the copy/paste and losing save point or whatever bc you can not play from the SD card is plain silly imho :P

Yeah they would need to fix that.

Avatar image for nofriekinlemons
nofriekinlemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nofriekinlemons
Member since 2008 • 1392 Posts

well we all know that Wii is going for the rated E to be more popular to the entire community meaning kids to well it also tried to go

for size as well tried to make as efficient and small as can be so they don't care about an hard drive that's why they tell you to buy

a SD card, and personally I don't care because I get my games at bust-buy and get a warranty well best buy has been ****ing me

up about that i cant even keep my memory anymore (also with the 360) so I don't care, you shouldn't either

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ThePlothole

If they release one then it would only be a matter of time before some hacker will break into it. Thus making it possible to get away with sharing VC games and Wiiware games for free. Why should Nintendo let these freaking hackers even have a shot at it? I say stay with the SD cards and let the cry babies cry.gamershq

Done properly, a Hard Drive would be no less secure than an SD card. SD is a standard bloody format afterall, used by countless devices and easily read by computer.

But again, we are not even allowed the convenience of running games off of SD. You can store them sure, but they must be transfered back to be used.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ThePlothole

[QUOTE="chang_1910"]But the copy/paste and losing save pointSancroff

I haven't had to do any swapping to SD yet so this is news to me: you lose your save point??? Why?

The save point is a seperate file. They can be seen in the game save section of memory management, but not copied.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ThePlothole

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]The save point is a seperate file. They can be seen in the game save section of memory management, but not copied.Sancroff

I just copied, deleted, and restored my Bomberman '93 save file and my save point was still valid. Does this work in some games but not in others?

Does Bomberman have an in-game save function? I believe these can be saved, just not the quick save point that is created when you exit of of the game through the home menu.

Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts

well i was thinking, everyone knows one problem with the hd is that it is external, and that is a problem since the wii is a sleek small system, nintendo wants to maintain that image, now wii utalizes bluetooth, the fast wireless transfering technology that we all know and love, why not make a wireless bluetooth hd?? that would solve the problem of where to put it, answer: anywhere. i mean it is simple logic, i dont know if this has been thrown around before, but i like the idea. and it would only be time after that before cell phone bluetooth for file transfers and stuff, and maybe even a comon blutooth headset woudl function, i dont know, im thinking out of the box, but that is how the wii was made wasnt it? thinking out of the boxcodemasterzxc

That would be an interesting idea...

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ThePlothole

well i was thinking, everyone knows one problem with the hd is that it is external, and that is a problem since the wii is a sleek small system, nintendo wants to maintain that image, now wii utalizes bluetooth, the fast wireless transfering technology that we all know and love, why not make a wireless bluetooth hd?? that would solve the problem of where to put it, answer: anywhere. i mean it is simple logic, i dont know if this has been thrown around before, but i like the idea. and it would only be time after that before cell phone bluetooth for file transfers and stuff, and maybe even a comon blutooth headset woudl function, i dont know, im thinking out of the box, but that is how the wii was made wasnt it? thinking out of the boxcodemasterzxc

Bluetooth is far too slow... only 3Mbit/s (vs 480Mbit/s for USB 2.0).

MarioMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MarioMellow

blingchu55
You thinking Arby's?
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
We need more SD card support. Running the games while they are in the SD card, would be a good idea, I think.