trophy/acheivement support?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zeek888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zeek888
Member since 2008 • 230 Posts

is it just me or do others think it would be awesome if a future nintendo console had a trophy or ahievements system?

ive been playing the ps3 alot lately and i just love trophys as something else to work towards in games

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

This has been brought up like a million times, but yeah it would be nice if they had something. It's just cool to be able to show what games you've played and how much stuff you accomplished to your friends. Getting one for proof of getting all 242 stars in Mario Galaxy 2 would be a good example. Acheivments/trophies aren't necessary but they can be a cool bonus. I know I've even tried different modes in games just to get one and I ended up liking it so they do serve other purposes. Oh well though.

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
If they do then they should do a medal type reward system. They can be colour coded (not necessarily bronze/silver/gold). Maybe they can add coins or stars as a reward
zeek888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zeek888

a medal system would be cool

i was wondering what it would be and that sounds cool

zeek888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zeek888

id also like to point out that if a game has trophys it tends to push my chances in buying it
anyone else feel like that

because of this i dont play nintendo games as often as other systems

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Pass.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

I wish they did. Looking at alot of their games it seems like it only give gamers more of a reason to 100% them.

vintageBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vintageBliss
Member since 2010 • 63 Posts

id also like to point out that if a game has trophys it tends to push my chances in buying it

zeek888
yeah i totally agree.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

The next system will have that implementation.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts
I would like this as well.
ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
I'd hate it, would devalue some good games because of "Stupid achievements"
AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AmazingGaming
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts
Would be excellent. Just look at Wii Sports Resort "stamps", New Super Mario Brothers Wii "star coins" and Punchout Wii "challeneges" to see how achievements could add fun to Nintendo game.
rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts
this is silly... oh look i got achivments on 360 game blood stone i am sweet ant i? this is a gimmick and a joke for people to be pleased what they have done. it seriously meh to me. i know people like to have it but this is not reality.
rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts

zeek888

wow... the trophy is not real nor does it mean anything in "reality" you all tlak about grapchis not being an hd for the wii yet when it comes to this? it means something :lol:

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I'd hate it, would devalue some good games because of "Stupid achievements"ModeDude
Metroid Prime Collection already has achievements.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I'm indifferent. Adding achievements/trophies does nothing to the game. People like them because they say 'it extends replay value' - Well, it's an artificial way of extending replay value. I don't care if they're there or not. They don't change the game at all.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DJ_Lae
It doesn't just add replay value, though. Sure, trophy and achievement hunters are ridiculous, but the systems also allow you to compare your progress (and completion of silly things) in games with your friends. And if the game tracks story-based achievements you can even see how far along they are, or if they haven't finished a game, how long it took them, what difficulty they did it on, etc. I find that stuff to be the most interesting parts of having an achievement system. You can even get challenges and rivalries going with your friends.
AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AmazingGaming
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'm indifferent. Adding achievements/trophies does nothing to the game. People like them because they say 'it extends replay value' - Well, it's an artificial way of extending replay value. I don't care if they're there or not. They don't change the game at all.

They can tho. They can give you ideas and incentives to try new things.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DJ_Lae
They can tho. They can give you ideas and incentives to try new things. AmazingGaming
Yeah, there are a number of neat ones they could create even for a Mario game, from jumping on X number of enemies in a row to speedrunning levels, pulling off a certain combination of moves, etc. Plus the obvious ones like finding all the stars/coins in a level.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
I find that stuff to be the most interesting parts of having an achievement system. You can even get challenges and rivalries going with your friends.DJ_Lae
that's why i like about the achievement system, bragging rights
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'm indifferent. Adding achievements/trophies does nothing to the game. People like them because they say 'it extends replay value' - Well, it's an artificial way of extending replay value. I don't care if they're there or not. They don't change the game at all.AmazingGaming

I suppose so.

Though I've recently tried to do 100% completion in games .. specific Wii games, which don't have achievements. It's all up to the player. I still consider achievements/trophies and artificial way of people saying they add replay value.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazingGaming"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'm indifferent. Adding achievements/trophies does nothing to the game. People like them because they say 'it extends replay value' - Well, it's an artificial way of extending replay value. I don't care if they're there or not. They don't change the game at all.Haziqonfire

I suppose so.

Though I've recently tried to do 100% completion in games .. specific Wii games, which don't have achievements. It's all up to the player. I still consider achievements/trophies and artificial way of people saying they add replay value.

Maybe it is artificial, but artificially extending games is quite common in the game industry anyway. How many games have useless things to collect or unlock or fetch quests. It doesn't necessarily mean that it still can't be fun. I've done some Wii things to be proud of and it would be cool to be able to show it off to friends. Being able to see that everyone is playing Donkey Kong Country Returns for example and how far along they are would be pretty cool. It would be great to have achievements proving that I beat Star Tropics on the VC or beating a Bit.Trip game, not that I could ever beat any of those games but I would like to brag if I could. Besides it would be a great way to help sell more obscure games. If you see that a friend beat Nyx's Quest you might think about buying it too. Either way it wouldn't hurt anything and it would be a nice bonus. Obviously it's too late to add it to the Wii now though.
AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AmazingGaming

[QUOTE="AmazingGaming"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'm indifferent. Adding achievements/trophies does nothing to the game. People like them because they say 'it extends replay value' - Well, it's an artificial way of extending replay value. I don't care if they're there or not. They don't change the game at all.Haziqonfire

I suppose so.

Achievements aren't just tied to completing the game tho. They can be used for wacky, funny stuff. Stuff that a person might not normally think of or be bothered with. Like playing through Mirror's Edge without once firing a gun, that was cool.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I'm sure it will, but until developers begin including achievements that actually add some replayability and value to the game, I really don't see the point of them.
zeek888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zeek888

bragging rights would be cool but better yet be able to prove your accomplishments like getting every star in mario galaxy 2

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#26 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I would love to see those on Nintendo's next system. They end up adding a lot of replay value to the games.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

I would love to see those on Nintendo's next system. They end up adding a lot of replay value to the games.

Pierst179

yeah me too...

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I used to own a 360, I own a PS3, and I own a Wii. I don't think I've ever ONCE noticed or cared about trophies in games..

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DJ_Lae
I can't understand why people wouldn't want a historical record of their gaming accomplishments, which is essentially what achievements are. They also make for very interesting comparisons when pulled into database, a la Giant Bomb. Though sometimes it's kind of sad, as you can see that only about 30 or 40% of people who played a given game actually finished it.
kirkonacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kirkonacid
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts

It isn't a necessity for me, but I really love working towards trophies on my PS3. I like that they add more to work towards in agame and sometimes get you to do fun and interestign things that you normally wouldn't. I think for Nintendo stars would be more than appropriate.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Some individual games have a system that works like achievements/trophies. In addition, there are rumors that the 3DS is going to implement achievements, which if true would probably mean the next Nintendo console will use them as well.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
I would like that to happen next gen. I know the 3DS does have some form of achievements so I fully expect the next console to have em
L0newolf___DSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 L0newolf___DSH
Member since 2010 • 240 Posts

The main reason i like earning trophies is cos i have nothing to do with my time, and it gives me something to do through the days. So i think it would be good to have something like this on the wii, its nice to see a little collection of accomplishments. Alot of people might find that sad but they arent open minded enough in my opinion. :)