Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 409 Posts

So I like Nintendo and the games they make. But I simply don't have the time or money for them anymore.

I probably would get a Nintendo console again if they made a system and service that could compete with Sony and Microsoft's offerings. And I'm perfectly fine with games that have lower graphical quality as long as the third-party games can take full advantage of the console and play as well as they do on the other guys' systems.

But it's also a matter of Nintendo doing things like remastering Metroid Prime for $40...when they could remaster the entire Metroid Prime trilogy (they did this once) for full price. If they were really ambitious they would remake Metroid Prime Hunters and release it with the collection as well.

Most of the games that interest me on the console seem to be remakes or remasters. It's good Nintendo is giving games like Baten Kaitos more exposure, and partnering with the wonderful Wayforward Games to make Advance Wars Reboot Camp. Still, it brings to light the fact that Nintendo largely ignores any IP that isn't making it the big bucks, resulting in no sequels for decades.

Fire Emblem Engage would probably be a purchase for me. But then again, it's a franchise that was almost cancelled if Awakening didn't sell as well as it did. Which shows Nintendo doesn't care about creativity as much as sales.

The new Zelda will probably be a great game, and I hope it does well. But it's sort of existing because Breath of the Wild sold well, so now they'll make a bunch of Zelda games that same exact way.

And then we do this lully-gagging where we release Gameboy games (AGAIN!) and release Gameboy Advance games (AGAIN!), and release a select few. And then milk certain games all over again because it's been 5-10 years since we released it last. Like Golden Sun was on Wii-U, it should have never "gone away". It should still be on the eShop and should have been available for the 3DS and Switch all of this time.

I feel like Nintendo would keep more of their old fans if they gave us a powerhouse of a system. But they seem to want to drag things out. I also feel that, in 2023, they should have dropped the price of their Switches by now. Surely if they bring out a new system, this one will finally be made a more reasonable price.

Just a couple of random thoughts. I think Nintendo shoots themselves in the foot a lot, and it's been going on for years and years.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Yeah, being a Nintendo fan can be frustrating somtimes.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#4 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

Man I totally disagree. I think the system and service from Nintendo completely obliterates what the other platforms offer, which is a $60 a year paywall just to play online. Nintendo's is $20, but it's still a fraction of the price. For 1 year on the other platforms your getting 3 years on Nintendo, just think about that for a minute. Not to mention the consoles on the other platforms are like $500 versus the $300 Switch.

Nintendo games have really never been better or have had more content than their modern lineup. And I have sat through iterations of games from every system starting with SNES. BOTW was absolutely brilliant, you'd be hard pressed to find games with as much content as Super Smash Bros Ultimate or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, both of which also have extremely active online communities. Metroid Prime Remastered is well worth $40 and a perfect example of how an old great classic is just simply better than some of the AAA crap they charge us for today. And it's just another awesome addition to the Switch's epic games library.

Switch has been the comeback of Nintendo. Sure you have to spend a little more money this generation than previously with Nintendo but I view it as well worth it.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#5  Edited By pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

I bought a few Switch games like Mario Odyssey, Pokemon Eevee, Zelda Breath of The Wild, Pokemon Sword and have Switch Online. A lot of their exclusives I never bought as they took many Pokemon games, I think my only thing I hate is how Nintendo just remasters one game from their franchise like Metroid Prime for $40. Then you have to pay $ for Metroid Prime 2 Metroid Prime 3 separately when they release.

hanna66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hanna66
Member since 2023 • 1 Posts

It starts to slow down like crazy after you scroll down a few pages (such as scrolling the Great Deals tab). It gets so bad that I usually close and restart it before searching another tab https://9apps.ooo/ . Also, the general lack of curating that's let it become a dumping ground for crappy mobile games.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 409 Posts

I'm actually kind of glad you revived this thread. It's ironic because here I am, a Switch owner again! lol

And... Idk, a lot of those points still stand. Nintendo controllers are not cheap and add up the cost quickly. The first-party games (most of them) hold value for the life of the system and are not cheap. You will inevitably invest in a Nintendo system, you just will.

I think I disagree with my point from earlier this year that Nintendo NEEDS more powerful hardware. I think they do real great with older tech. Would be better if it was more powerful, but they manage surprisingly well. I just wish more of that value was passed on to the customer.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

My thing with Nintendo is I think they've gotten a bad reputation for all kinds of things, when really they were basically no different from the other major gaming companies of the different eras. For one, they basically just made hardware intensive upgrade to the next generation high quality hardware high quality software package. They chased after graphics with the same intensity as Sega, Sony, SNK, or NEC/Hudson Soft.

They continued to do with the handhelds with the DS and 3DS, but then they stopped making cutting edge performance an issue with the Wii. They half heartedly sort of returned to performance with the Wii U, but when that failed, they just went with the last thing that worked commercially, which was the Wii.

So is it really Nintendo's problem the Wii was such a phenomenon for them? People bought it all up, they really liked Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports, and as a publicly traded company they need to do what makes money, so going back just one generation prior to the Wii U formula which proved to work is exactly what they did.

The Wii era is really the origin of the weird e-shop stuff, account stuff, graphical downgrade, odd online stuff, ignoring old franchises, etc, many of the thing you mention. The only thing Nintendo really kept was the low price.

The Switch is merely a repeat of the Wii era, and it's selling even moreso, it makes money, it's the consumer choices that push Nintendo in the direction of where it is now, not the company itself.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@rewgle: the way nintendo does things is better then what Sony does and that Is a fact 79.99 for multi-player plus most xbsx and ps5 games require ridiculously long downloads and in the case of cod bo Coldwar it's quite big 250+gbs and quite frankly I like the switch better than my series x and have no plans getting a ps5 the fact of the matter is switch has mario Zelda dkc mariokart gta san Andreas the good saints row games and mario party can't play 360 in the car so

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 274 Posts

Sounds more like a "you" problem. The majority of people who buy and play games are happy Nintendo does something different from the others, and I'm one of them. As far as Sony and MS goes, this feels like the worst generation for traditional consoles in a long time: slow development cycles, higher costs, fewer games, samey games etc.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

Nintendo Switch is the go anywhere play anywhere system it’s quite expensive piece of technology but its well worth it. I look at other companies and consoles but nobody Is quite as great as Nintendo at least in my opinion.