Tales of Symphonia....

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

...sure as heck is AWESOME! I find it to be beautiful, well written and acted and just as engrossing and fun to play as the gound breaking life-altering first game. So in short; the polar opposite of everything Daemon "I hate video games" Hatfield from IGN lol.

Now I know this is only my opinion and someones going to say I don't have the right to complain to complain about one reviewers opinion. To that I say A) you are correct. And B) I really don't care. The game rocks, Dameon's a fool hehe. The bottom line here is sharing how much I love the game with others who i hope feel the same way. The general response seems to be that most of us like it. I'm early on and can't get over how Lloyd "appears" to be evil. CRAZY! I can't wait for the real plot twists to start. What does everyone else think?

dylanmcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 dylanmcc
Member since 2008 • 2512 Posts
That's really good to know it's a good game.
It hasn't come to where I live yet so I'm still thinking about getting it.
But I have to beat the first one first :'(
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts
I believe I must concur with you, good sir. It's pretty much awesome, and I'm actually about to go play it right now.
Yodas_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Yodas_Boy
Member since 2007 • 857 Posts
I agree, Symphonia 2 is actually really good.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
I agree it rocks. The guy that wrote that IGN review is a total HD hype tool and graphics ho. Hopefully GS will give it a well deserved 8.0 or higher.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
At this point if IGN rates a Wii game below a 6 its a first day purchse lol.
ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
I have only played it for a few hours but love it so far. Its true that its graphics could have been more polished but overall it great. I would be playing it more but after I got it I decided to go and beat the first one before getting too far into this one. It looks like I have about 100 hours of JRPG goodness ahead of me!
starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
It's one of those games that I could play all night (and the first that I started a new file as soon as I beat it).
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
So in short; the polar opposite of everything Daemon "I hate video games" Hatfield from IGN lol ... Dameon's a fool heheDarth-Samus
The guy that wrote that IGN review is a total HD hype tool and graphics ho.Bigboi500
Does it really require insulting the reviewer in order to disagree with him? I mean, if the game really is as good as you say it is, surely you can give reasons why you found it good while he didn't, what aspects you feel are underrated, rather than relying entirely on personal insults. I mean, can't I get better reasons for why I should not go by IGN's review and get the game other than "lol Hatfield hates games!", "he's a fool!", and "he's a tool"?
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty fantastic. I'm about 20 hours into it. I'm really enjoying it.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#11 zh666
Member since 2005 • 5068 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"] So in short; the polar opposite of everything Daemon "I hate video games" Hatfield from IGN lol ... Dameon's a fool heheclicketyclick
The guy that wrote that IGN review is a total HD hype tool and graphics ho.Bigboi500
Does it really require insulting the reviewer in order to disagree with him? I mean, if the game really is as good as you say it is, surely you can give reasons why you found it good while he didn't, what aspects you feel are underrated, rather than relying entirely on personal insults. I mean, can't I get better reasons for why I should not go by IGN's review and get the game other than "lol Hatfield hates games!", "he's a fool!", and "he's a tool"?

If you read IGN's review, then you'll notice he's just bashing JRPGs in general, and barely tackles TOS2 as a game.  His review is really no different than the above posts. 

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clicketyclick

If you read IGN's review, then you'll notice he's just bashing JRPGs in general, and barely tackles TOS2 as a game. His review is really no different than the above posts.zh666

I don't see how you can conclude that. Don't make me look for half an hour in order to produce a bunch of JRPGs that he's given high ratings to in order to disprove you. You know I can, so it's a waste of time.

dylanmcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dylanmcc
Member since 2008 • 2512 Posts
How many hours does this game take to beat?
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zh666

[QUOTE="zh666"]If you read IGN's review, then you'll notice he's just bashing JRPGs in general, and barely tackles TOS2 as a game. His review is really no different than the above posts.clicketyclick

I don't see how you can conclude that. Don't make me look for half an hour in order to produce a bunch of JRPGs that he's given high ratings to in order to disprove you. You know I can, so it's a waste of time.

How are review scores of JRPGs going to disprove anything? It would probably just prove my point further. 

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zh666

How many hours does this game take to beat?dylanmcc

I'm 30 hours into the 5th chapter, with 55% of the skits completed (to give you a good idea).  I've done all the sidequests though, so that's why my time is so large.  I'm sure after it's all said and done, it will be a 50-60 hour game for me.  If you don't do sidequests, then it might be a 30-40 hour game maybe. 

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

[QUOTE="zh666"]If you read IGN's review, then you'll notice he's just bashing JRPGs in general, and barely tackles TOS2 as a game. His review is really no different than the above posts.zh666

How are review scores of JRPGs going to disprove anything? It would probably just prove my point further. 

That he likes JRPGs and he's not "just bashing JRPGs in general". It's because of aspects of ToS2 specifically that he gave it a lower score, not because he doesn't like JRPGs.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zh666

That he likes JRPGs and he's not "just bashing JRPGs in general". It's because of aspects of ToS2 specifically that he gave it a lower score, not because he doesn't like JRPGs.clicketyclick

I could only find three JRPG reviews from him, Tales (6.7), Opoona (6.8) and Away Shuffle Dungeon (6.1). If you can find anymore, go ahead and post them.

Anyways, Daemon Hatfield has never played a Tales of... game in his life. Specifically, he has never played Tales of Symphonia before. Dawn of the New World is aimed for fans of Tales of Symphonia. Would you make someone review Baten Kaitos Origins, Xenosaga II or Final Fantasy X-2 if they didn't play the original Baten Kaitos, Xenosaga or Final Fantasy X? It wouldn't make sense to them.

Daemon Hatfield doesn't know what makes a Tales of.. game great. He doesn't know what people expect and want from a Tales of.. game.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is a run of the mill, standard JRPG without a single original idea in its head.
--- Yet, this is a far more progressive as an RPG than Tales of Vespira which got an 8.2

An awkwardly translated, incomprehensible story? Check.
--- There is nothing awkardly translated about the dialog or story. The story is only incomprehensible because you never played the original game.

The story is some **** about the world falling into ruin and this spineless little coward named Emil is somehow the only one who can set things right.
--- Yeah, he missed the point of the story OR he didn't play past the 5 hour mark.

Players are supposed to keep track of things like the Chosen of Regeneration, a Blood Purge, a Great Tree, the Giant Kharlan Tree, a new World Tree… It's all just fancy window dressing for what is really a mundane adventure.
--- Once again, if he had played the original game then he would know what all of that is. The Blood Purge is the ONLY new term used in this game.

While the script is not that interesting to begin with, it's also been clumsily translated so that dialogue often just barely makes sense. What is this, amateur hour? It's possible that, in many of these instances, there simply isn't an easy translation from the original Japanese. But that doesn't make it any easier to sit through.
--- It's funny out of all the reviews out, most have praised the translastion or localization of TOS:DOTNW. The localization is AMAZING in this game.

Emil has to be the lamest "hero" ever. When in battle he does grow a pair, but for the rest of the game he shuffles around whining and apologizing.
--- I wonder how much he actually played because after the a while Emil starts to struggle with a split persoanlity. One personality is an exatratted wuss, while the other is a straight to the point badass.

Most of the folks you meet along the way suffer from a similar lack of depth.

--- like Richter? Alice? Bullcrap dude.

It's also very linear. The game leads players by the hand from location to location without any choice on their part. We are told where to go next to move the story along -- sure, we could go back to the town we were just at, but there's nothing to do there.
--- Actually, if he played the game for more than a few hours, then he would know if you backtrack to previous towns you can unlock sidequests.

Even weapons and armor is acquired linearly. Each new town will have the next level of equipment in stock, so there isn't any choice of what to use.
--- Sure, I get his point, but he forgot to mention the Synthesis elements to the game. While stores sell basic equipment, you can build even better weapons with loot you gathered from dungeons. This offers a bit of strategy with your weapons or a bit of non-linearity to them, however he puts it. You have complete "freedom" on your choice of weapons and armor.

The "skits" return here, where anime versions of our characters face the player and share a brief conversation. While these provide some good information, they aren't exactly animated.
--- Yeah, they're barely animated in Tales of Vespira, and no one complained, so what? They're alot more animated than the original Tales of Symphonia, or even Legendia and Abyss

If Dawn of the New World had come out 10 years ago, it would have been pretty impressive. But 10-year old gaming conventions don't make for an engrossing RPG today. This game's biggest crime is that it's commonplace.
--- aka "JRPGs are lame now"

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clicketyclick
Anyways, Daemon Hatfield has never played a Tales of... game in his life. Specifically, he has never played Tales of Symphonia before. Dawn of the New World is aimed for fans of Tales of Symphonia. Would you make someone review Baten Kaitos Origins, Xenosaga II or Final Fantasy X-2 if they didn't play the original Baten Kaitos, Xenosaga or Final Fantasy X? It wouldn't make sense to them.

Daemon Hatfield doesn't know what makes a Tales of.. game great. He doesn't know what people expect and want from a Tales of.. game.zh666
I don't expect reviewers to necessarily have played the originals. Games should (and do) stand on their own. ToS2 explains enough of the story so that you don't have to have played the first to understand. Quite a few people have said that already in this forum. I think he does know what people want and expect from a ToS2 game. He said, "This was made for those fans and they probably decided long ago to get this sequel. But games have moved beyond these linear adventures. I can't think of much here to recommend to anyone new to this series." He knows that it'll appeal to fans of the series, but says that newcomers likely won't be interested. Nothing you have said makes me doubt what he said about this. Fans of the series defend it to the death, insulting reviewers who disagree with them, and newcomers (like yours truly) are left without any reason to doubt his experience of it. Games can maybe be made with only a select group in mind, but they need to be reviewed for everyone. IF (!) this game was only made for ToS fans, then that's great for them, but it still needs to be reviewed also keeping in mind the expectations of the vast legions of people who did not play ToS1.
If Dawn of the New World had come out 10 years ago, it would have been pretty impressive. But 10-year old gaming conventions don't make for an engrossing RPG today. This game's biggest crime is that it's commonplace.
--- aka "JRPGs are lame now"

zh666
No, it means that many of the standards of 10 years ago are outdated today, and games should keep up with the times, or else they feel dated. I don't know how you get "JRPGs are lame now" from what he said.
Lisandro_v22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Lisandro_v22
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
I agree it rocks. The guy that wrote that IGN review is a total HD hype tool and graphics ho. Hopefully GS will give it a well deserved 8.0 or higher.Bigboi500
yeah, I hope it gets at least an 8, still it would be the most surprising cause the critic average is 7 or so
red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts
you are right TC this game is amazing. im lvl grinding around 40-42 right now. doing some side quest also easy recommendation for rpg lovers!!!
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts
Actually this thread has revived my hype for the game, i know that i shouldnt entirely trust on a review or and opinion, but my hype went down with this review, not to much, but enough to let it pass until a price drop, now i really want it for this season.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zh666
The game came out WITH a price drop. It's $20 cheaper than Tales of Vespira and you can get the same experience out of it, if not more since you can do loads more with the game.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darth-Samus

At this point if IGN rates a Wii game below a 6 its a first day purchse lol.firefox59

Haha! As much I still ove and (sometimes) trust IGN I tend to think that is hilariously a true statement lol. Well said sir.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Darth-Samus

Actually this thread has revived my hype for the game, i know that i shouldnt entirely trust on a review or and opinion, but my hype went down with this review, not to much, but enough to let it pass until a price drop, now i really want it for this season.madsnakehhh

Yeah man. It really and truly is a great game. If you enjoyed the first or and jrpgs or the Tales series you'd be a fool not to buy it. It's such a well written and fun game. A great job of continuing the original's great story. And I find it to be a pretty game too. I think the only reason anyone could complain about the graphics is that some of the plot exposition moments are just told through the in-game world instead of movies. the moments told throughan acted out sequence are great and the character models and animations are excellent! Please go buy and enjoy :)

Wa-Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wa-Ryan
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts
You guys need to stop reviewing peoples reviews of games and get over the fact most people think ToS2 wasn't that good.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darth-Samus

You guys need to stop reviewing peoples reviews of games and get over the fact most people think ToS2 wasn't that good.Wa-Ryan

No. No...we don't.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

You guys need to stop reviewing peoples reviews of games and get over the fact most people think ToS2 wasn't that good.Wa-Ryan

If a review was bad and will, unchallenged, turn people away from a game that they would enjoy, people should be aware of that. I see nothing wrong with talking about it.  Far from most people thinking that it wasn't that good, pretty much everyone who's posted here to talk about it has said that the game is way better than the review says.

MasonB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#28 MasonB15
Member since 2008 • 104 Posts
I am a huge RPG fan, however, I have never played a Tales game before. Would I have to play the first Tales of Symphonia in order to understand this one?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GabuEx

I am a huge RPG fan, however, I have never played a Tales game before. Would I have to play the first Tales of Symphonia in order to understand this one?MasonB15

It would probably help with the exact details of what happened (and honestly, I'd recommend it, as the first Tales of Symphonia is an awesome game), but the second one does a pretty good job of summarizing exactly what happened in the first. That said, a lot of characters in the first one reappear in the first, and you won't have the attachment to them formed by playing the first, so I imagine it probably wouldn't quite be the same.

Bottom line, get the first one first if you can. ;)

MasonB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MasonB15

[QUOTE="MasonB15"]I am a huge RPG fan, however, I have never played a Tales game before. Would I have to play the first Tales of Symphonia in order to understand this one?GabuEx

It would probably help with the exact details of what happened (and honestly, I'd recommend it, as the first Tales of Symphonia is an awesome game), but the second one does a pretty good job of summarizing exactly what happened in the first. That said, a lot of characters in the first one reappear in the first, and you won't have the attachment to them formed by playing the first, so I imagine it probably wouldn't quite be the same.

Bottom line, get the first one first if you can. ;)

I've been looking for the first one every time I go to Gamestop. I guess I'll wait a little while to see if I can find it. Thanks!

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GabuEx

I've been looking for the first one every time I go to Gamestop. I guess I'll wait a little while to see if I can find it. Thanks!

MasonB15

No problem.

You might try somewhere like Amazon - the internet tends to be a much better place than brick-and-mortar stores to find old games from several years ago.

MasonB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MasonB15
[QUOTE="MasonB15"]

GabuEx

No problem.

You might try somewhere like Amazon - the internet tends to be a much better place than brick-and-mortar stores to find old games from several years ago.

I might have to reluctantly go that option.

Sorry about hijacking this thread ;)

Wa-Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wa-Ryan

[QUOTE="Wa-Ryan"]You guys need to stop reviewing peoples reviews of games and get over the fact most people think ToS2 wasn't that good.GabuEx

If a review was bad and will, unchallenged, turn people away from a game that they would enjoy, people should be aware of that. I see nothing wrong with talking about it.  Far from most people thinking that it wasn't that good, pretty much everyone who's posted here to talk about it has said that the game is way better than the review says.

"Talking" (most people I've seen have just ripped up the reviewer/organization and complain) about the reviews have not convinced me that ToS2 (or other games) is any better than most critics are saying, but rather leave me disgusted with some of the users mentalities on these forums: "if a game I think will be good gets a bad review the reviewer/website is stupid!" I would never buy a game that gets mediocre reviews on multiple sites, I don't care if I'm missing out on a game that despite the odds is actually great. Games are expensive, I am missing out on tonnes of other amazing games too. If I'm gonna drop 40-60$ on a game it's gonna be one that gets amazing scores on multiple sites (9+ preferably). And this system works great, I've never been dissapointed with a game that gets these great scores
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 zh666
I never called the reviewer stupid, but I do question how many hours she put into the game. If you actually played the game, and then read the Gamespot or IGN review, then you'll would see what we see.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GabuEx

"Talking" (most people I've seen have just ripped up the reviewer/organization and complain) about the reviews have not convinced me that ToS2 (or other games) is any better than most critics are saying, but rather leave me disgusted with some of the users mentalities on these forums: "if a game I think will be good gets a bad review the reviewer/website is stupid!" I would never buy a game that gets mediocre reviews on multiple sites, I don't care if I'm missing out on a game that despite the odds is actually great. Games are expensive, I am missing out on tonnes of other amazing games too. If I'm gonna drop 40-60$ on a game it's gonna be one that gets amazing scores on multiple sites (9+ preferably). And this system works great, I've never been dissapointed with a game that gets these great scoresWa-Ryan

Have you played ToS2, or are you just assuming that it's bad and that we're playing sour grapes? I've played the game for quite a while now and I can say in no uncertain terms that I think the IGN reviewer was totally out to lunch, saying things that are, really, as far as I'm concerned factually inaccurate. If a person hears something about a game that is totally false, and that makes the person pass up a game that he or she would have enjoyed, that is bad. The bad part comes in treating game reviews as sacred gospel and elevating the opinions of reviewers above the opinions of everyone else.

I buy games that get mediocre reviews often, on account of the fact that I don't just look at the score; I look at the game itself, its premise, gameplay, and whatnot; I look at what other players are saying; and so on. A review is just one guy's opinion of the game, no better than anyone else's. There isn't anything particularly special about a critic; they just happen to be people who are lucky enough to get paid to really just tell other people what they think about stuff.

Wa-Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wa-Ryan
Regular games/non-critics tend to overrate they're games because they don't want to feel like they've wasted their money. And I had the first ToS game for GCN, it was really good but nothing amazing at the time and apparently ToS2 Dawn of the New World is "alot of like the old world" (ign.com).
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zh666
I've written over 120+ user reviews, and I only gave 10 games over a 9.0. I plan on reviewing TOS2 when I get done with it (i put 53 hours into it so far). I'll probably give it a soild 8.0. Maybe a 7.8 if the old school scale was in effect. I'm not overhyping this game, I'm not saying this is the greatest RPG ever made. I don't think anyone here is overhyping it. I just think the reviewers are being extra harsh on it for little reason.

Would I put 53+ hours into a game that could be beaten in 30 hours if I didn't enjoy it? That's my biggest endorsement.
Wa-Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wa-Ryan
I've written over 120+ user reviews, and I only gave 10 games over a 9.0. I plan on reviewing TOS2 when I get done with it (i put 53 hours into it so far). I'll probably give it a soild 8.0. Maybe a 7.8 if the old school scale was in effect. I'm not overhyping this game, I'm not saying this is the greatest RPG ever made. I don't think anyone here is overhyping it. I just think the reviewers are being extra harsh on it for little reason.

Would I put 53+ hours into a game that could be beaten in 30 hours if I didn't enjoy it? That's my biggest endorsement. zh666
Even 8.0 I wouldn't consider it. I probably haven't even played all those games that you scored over a 9.0 and I'd rather put my hard earned money towards those games. But seriously 53+ hours already? That game like just came ease up man. Don't lose focus on school !
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 zh666

I've been playing it since the 15th and I'm 27 years old.  School?

Games I scored a 9.0 or over:
Tales of Symphonia
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Resident Evil 4
Paper Mario
Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
Dragon Quest VIII

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zh666
I was snooping on the IGN's board to see what that community had to say about the review.. they're not the brightest bunch but that thread did bring out the IGN reviewer. This is all he says though.. what the hell...

Wa-Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wa-Ryan
I was snooping on the IGN's board to see what that community had to say about the review.. they're not the brightest bunch but that thread did bring out the IGN reviewer. This is all he says though.. what the hell...

zh666
He's pretty much right.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clicketyclick
I never called the reviewer stupid, but I do question how many hours she put into the game. If you actually played the game, and then read the Gamespot or IGN review, then you'll would see what we see.zh666
The reviewer is male (Shiva is the Hindu god of destruction and a name given to boys. In the famous book Midnight's Children, a main - male - character is named Shiva.) Your question is pretty much an unfounded accusation. All reviewers play all the way through games. If you have evidence that he didn't, then present it. But just because he tries not to give plot spoilers beyond the beginning of the game doesn't mean he didn't do his job. It's a serious accusation. If it's true, it could get him fired. But you seem to toss it around so lightly and speculatively.

zh666
You said as much yourself in this thread. I explained in that thread how, based on how you perceived the game and IGN's and GS's review policies, the score makes sense. You didn't reply...
aLexanderrness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 aLexanderrness
Member since 2008 • 333 Posts
this game is good only b/c it keeps you drawn in on the actual story, you keep wanting to know what's gona happen, but unfortunately that's the only driving force of this game. i find that the dungeons (temples) are more of a chore than actual fun. the game is too easy and you only get to keep 2 main characters despite the monsters. the main character pissess me the crap off. so, all in all, the storyline is the only thing keeping this tales game from being a mediocre game. i was expecting more since this is TALES OF SYMPHONIA TWOOOOO. the first one is far superior. i'll be looking for tales of vesperia to give me a better thrill.
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
Agree'd 100%. The game is great.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zh666

The reviewer is male (Shiva is the Hindu god of destruction and a name given to boys. In the famous book Midnight's Children, a main - male - character is named Shiva.) Your question is pretty much an unfounded accusation. All reviewers play all the way through games. If you have evidence that he didn't, then present it. But just because he tries not to give plot spoilers beyond the beginning of the game doesn't mean he didn't do his job. It's a serious accusation. If it's true, it could get him fired. But you seem to toss it around so lightly and speculatively.clicketyclick

Not every reviewer plays a long RPG 100% through. Why should anyone expect the reviewer to complete the game? My claim is HE didn't play it more than a few hours. If you're going to review a RPG, atleast put 15-20 hours into it, that's enough to judge. The reason I believe HE didn't play more than a few hours is because HE had to level grind. Only the first few hours of Tales of Symphonia 2 are hard but the game eventually levels out and becomes rather easy.

He also says that the Human characters that join your party are so much stronger than the monsters that join your team, which is false. The human characters are level capped, but your monsters grow at a high speed. If HE put more than 6 hours into the game, then all his monsters should probably have double the level of the humans, with more skills. He also complains about the heavy amount of cutscenes. I agree with him, there are a ton of cutscene at the start of the game. My point about the cutscenes though is they're really heavily used at the beginning of the game. They're setting up the characters, you barely do anything in the first chapter because there are a TON of cutscenes. After the 2nd chapter the game starts to put more focus on fighting and dungeon crawling.

It's nothing new when a review craps out a quick review. Do you remember when Penny Arcade caught that one reviewer for Enchanted Arms? That reviewer only played the first two hours of the game. The thing about the Xbox360 is you can check achievement points and see how far a player got into the game.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/09/06/

There's other examples of this. There was a Gamespot (?) reviewer that reviewed an online shooter before the online was ever tested. There are the Maxim game "reviewers" that review games that haven't even been made! I'm not saying Shiva is as bad as these examples, I'm sure he put 3 hours into it. I would like for him to prove to all of us how many hours he put into the game. A screen cap of his Wii calender of the days before the review was put up would do.

Have you played the game, Clicket? 

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clicketyclick

But you don't have the proof like the 360 thing, so you can't be sure and you can't compare it to that. And if by the online shooter review you're talking about Socom, the site (IGN I think it was) explained that they gave the game a couple weeks to get the online running, but it didn't get up even then, and the site's policy is to review the game as it is upon release. Standard policy.

I never claimed he played 100%. I said reviewers are supposed to play all the way through, as in, complete the game. If they don't and still write the review, they can be fired. This is what Gerstmann was allegedly fired for doing. I'm going to guess that he spent 30 hours playing the game, because that's the time he says it takes to get through it.

The reason I believe HE didn't play more than a few hours is because HE had to level grind. Only the first few hours of Tales of Symphonia 2 are hard but the game eventually levels out and becomes rather easy.zh666

And even if he only had to grind at the beginning, it still makes the statement true that he had to grind in the game. No problem here.

(By the way, it does depend on your skill level. A bunch of people told me that FFIV doesn't require grinding like FFIII does. Yet I had to grind quite a bit before some of the boss-like fights all the same so as not to just barely survive the fight with only one char left standing. It also depends on whether you want to do all the optional sidequests.)

He also says that the Human characters that join your party are so much stronger than the monsters that join your team, which is false. The human characters are level capped, but your monsters grow at a high speed. If HE put more than 6 hours into the game, then all his monsters should probably have double the level of the humans, with more skills.zh666

And even if he played for 30 hours, it still is true that the party is much stronger than the monsters joining the team, because when they join the team, they are much weaker.

He also complains about the heavy amount of cutscenes. I agree with him, there are a ton of cutscene at the start of the game. My point about the cutscenes though is they're really heavily used at the beginning of the game. They're setting up the characters, you barely do anything in the first chapter because there are a TON of cutscenes. After the 2nd chapter the game starts to put more focus on fighting and dungeon crawling.zh666

And even if he played till the end, it's still true that there's a lot of cutscenes in the game that arguably disrupt the flow of gameplay.

Basically, a flaw in the first part of a game is still a flaw in the game, and warrants mentioning. That he mentions these flaws isn't proof that he didn't play for more than a couple of hours.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bigboi500

zh666
That right there pretty much proves my thoughts about him all along. He's trying to hold niche JRPGs to the technically superior WRPG standard which is a fallacy in and of itself. People that are interested in JRPGs in the first place are not necessarily tech loving WRPG fans that care about graphics and technical prowess.

IGN should have been more professional and let someone review the game that understands these differences. And GS should not have used some free-lance reviewer that no one knows anything about and does not even have a GS account for goodness sake. For all we know he could be some Sony pr man lol.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clicketyclick

That right there pretty much proves my thoughts about him all along. He's trying to hold niche JRPGs to the technically superior WRPG standard which is a fallacy in and of itself. People that are interested in JRPGs in the first place are not necessarily tech loving WRPG fans that care about graphics and technical prowess.
Bigboi500

Mass Effect's (and other WRPGs) innovations aren't just graphical and technical. In fact, Mass Effect has relatively weak graphics, compared to other games this gen.

Some standards are global, not local to the West or to Japan. For example, regardless of your graphical styIe, try to minimise jaggies and try to show some new ideas. 

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]That right there pretty much proves my thoughts about him all along. He's trying to hold niche JRPGs to the technically superior WRPG standard which is a fallacy in and of itself. People that are interested in JRPGs in the first place are not necessarily tech loving WRPG fans that care about graphics and technical prowess.
clicketyclick

Mass Effect's (and other WRPGs) innovations aren't just graphical and technical. In fact, Mass Effect has relatively weak graphics, compared to other games this gen.

Some standards are global, not local to the West or to Japan. For example, regardless of your graphical styIe, try to minimise jaggies and try to show some new ideas. 

Maybe some people are happy with things as they are in the genre and are not looking for innovations. It would be like someone trying to hold Mario Kart to the same standards of Forza Motorsport, it's just wrong.
XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts
I'm gonna go with players reactions instead of IGN's or Gamespot's review and might pick up this game for X-mas. From what I'm hearing so far, this is game was misjudged and is actually good.