SSBU Impressions

Avatar image for bgres077
#1 Posted by bgres077 (12587 posts) -

Now that SSBU has been out for a few days, what are everyone's initial impressions of the game.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#2 Edited by KBFloYd (21230 posts) -

when i first played it i thought....hmm this feels "stiffer" than smash 4. melee always felt "stiff" to me. so i was like hmm...feels kind of melee-like.

After some hours i got used to it and i feel its much better than smash 4. smash 4 feels slow and like you are stuck in mud by comparison.

Avatar image for bgres077
#3 Posted by bgres077 (12587 posts) -

I've tried to play online matches a few times, and the quality of gameplay is unacceptable. It's like playing on slide show mode if you get someone with a bad connection, and even worse I've yet to have a match kick someone with a bad connection. I can't believe we have to pay for this awful online service.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#4 Edited by KBFloYd (21230 posts) -

@bgres077 said:

I've tried to play online matches a few times, and the quality of gameplay is unacceptable. It's like playing on slide show mode if you get someone with a bad connection, and even worse I've yet to have a match kick someone with a bad connection. I can't believe we have to pay for this awful online service.

90% of my matches are lag free. I think nintendo doesnt know how to code for people that stream or have familys that use wifi.

i remember in smash 4 if i was stream something on twitch smash 4 would lag. just because of 1 stupid stream!! ridiculous. everytime i wanted to play smash 4 i had to kick everyone of the internet to play it.

unfortunately in this day and age everyone in the household is usually online or streaming something. Not to mention smash is a 4 player game. where as normal fighting games only need to account for 2 players.

i'm lucky i never really had lag problems with brawl, smash 4 or ultimate. but unfortunately nintendo doesnt code the online well for most normal households.

Avatar image for dzimm
#5 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

From what I've read, only 10 characters are unlocked at the start, and unlocking the other 70 or so is a chore. That's about put me off buying the game.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#6 Edited by KBFloYd (21230 posts) -

@dzimm said:

From what I've read, only 10 characters are unlocked at the start, and unlocking the other 70 or so is a chore. That's about put me off buying the game.

this trick is great. ive unlocked 69 charcaters so far. and i only play like an hour a day since launch.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for bgres077
#7 Posted by bgres077 (12587 posts) -

@dzimm: There's no need to have them all unlocked from the start. I've played about 20 hours and have around 40 characters available. Already too many to play them all.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
#8 Posted by RSM-HQ (7642 posts) -

The only thing I will confirm is I think it's the definitive Smash Bros experience. So far would score it a 8/10. Keep in mind for me that's excellent!

And I know many still cling to Melee due to a more overall balanced roster. But even Melee had Meta Knight in all his superiority.

Avatar image for dzimm
#9 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@dzimm said:

From what I've read, only 10 characters are unlocked at the start, and unlocking the other 70 or so is a chore. That's about put me off buying the game.

this trick is great. ive unlocked 69 charcaters so far. and i only play like an hour a day since launch.

Loading Video...

Kinda sucks that you have to use what is clearly an exploit to unlock characters in a timely manner. And seeing how this is an exploit, I wonder long before Nintendo patches it?

Avatar image for Sgt_Crow
#10 Posted by Sgt_Crow (6004 posts) -

@dzimm: Unlocking characters is a big part of the fun.

Avatar image for dzimm
#11 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@Sgt_Crow said:

@dzimm: Unlocking characters is a big part of the fun.

It strikes me as a needless and tedious grind.

Avatar image for Sgt_Crow
#12 Edited by Sgt_Crow (6004 posts) -
@dzimm said:
@Sgt_Crow said:

@dzimm: Unlocking characters is a big part of the fun.

It strikes me as a needless and tedious grind.

The majority of gamers would disagree.
Unlocking content increases the sense of accomplishment and gives the player goals.

It gives a sense of reward to finally beat and unlock your favourite characters.

Avatar image for dzimm
#13 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@Sgt_Crow said:
@dzimm said:
@Sgt_Crow said:

@dzimm: Unlocking characters is a big part of the fun.

It strikes me as a needless and tedious grind.

The majority of gamers would disagree.

Unlocking content increases the sense of accomplishment and gives the player goals.

It gives a sense of reward to finally beat and unlock your favourite characters.

There are other ways of rewarding the player that doesn't require them to endlessly grind in order to unlock all content.

Avatar image for Sgt_Crow
#14 Posted by Sgt_Crow (6004 posts) -
@dzimm said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@dzimm said:
@Sgt_Crow said:

@dzimm: Unlocking characters is a big part of the fun.

It strikes me as a needless and tedious grind.

The majority of gamers would disagree.

Unlocking content increases the sense of accomplishment and gives the player goals.

It gives a sense of reward to finally beat and unlock your favourite characters.

There are other ways of rewarding the player that doesn't require them to endlessly grind in order to unlock all content.


How is unlocking characters (a feature present in nearly every fighting game) an endless grind?
You can easily unlock all characters while simply playing and enjoying the game, under 10 hours.

There is literally no grind whatsoever, nor is it a chore when you don't actively try to unlock all of them in the quickest possible way.

Avatar image for dzimm
#15 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@Sgt_Crow said:
@dzimm said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@dzimm said:
@Sgt_Crow said:

@dzimm: Unlocking characters is a big part of the fun.

It strikes me as a needless and tedious grind.

The majority of gamers would disagree.

Unlocking content increases the sense of accomplishment and gives the player goals.

It gives a sense of reward to finally beat and unlock your favourite characters.

There are other ways of rewarding the player that doesn't require them to endlessly grind in order to unlock all content.

How is unlocking characters (a feature present in nearly every fighting game) an endless grind?

You can easily unlock all characters while simply playing and enjoying the game, under 10 hours.

There is literally no grind whatsoever, nor is it a chore when you don't actively try to unlock all of them in the quickest possible way.

And what if I just want to dive in and play the character of my choice? I can't without spending 10-hours grinding out matches in order to unlock them all. That sucks.

Avatar image for Sgt_Crow
#16 Posted by Sgt_Crow (6004 posts) -
@dzimm said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@dzimm said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@dzimm said:

It strikes me as a needless and tedious grind.

The majority of gamers would disagree.

Unlocking content increases the sense of accomplishment and gives the player goals.

It gives a sense of reward to finally beat and unlock your favourite characters.

There are other ways of rewarding the player that doesn't require them to endlessly grind in order to unlock all content.

How is unlocking characters (a feature present in nearly every fighting game) an endless grind?

You can easily unlock all characters while simply playing and enjoying the game, under 10 hours.

There is literally no grind whatsoever, nor is it a chore when you don't actively try to unlock all of them in the quickest possible way.

And what if I just want to dive in and play the character of my choice? I can't without spending 10-hours grinding out matches in order to unlock them all. That sucks.


Why even play games?

Avatar image for dzimm
#17 Edited by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@Sgt_Crow said:
@dzimm said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@dzimm said:

There are other ways of rewarding the player that doesn't require them to endlessly grind in order to unlock all content.

How is unlocking characters (a feature present in nearly every fighting game) an endless grind?

You can easily unlock all characters while simply playing and enjoying the game, under 10 hours.

There is literally no grind whatsoever, nor is it a chore when you don't actively try to unlock all of them in the quickest possible way.

And what if I just want to dive in and play the character of my choice? I can't without spending 10-hours grinding out matches in order to unlock them all. That sucks.

Why even play games?

Because there are a lot of games that don't hit you with a punishing grind for the first dozen hours.

Avatar image for bgres077
#18 Posted by bgres077 (12587 posts) -

@dzimm: Endlessly grind? It took maybe 10 hours to get all the characters and I was slow playing it.

Avatar image for dzimm
#19 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@bgres077 said:

@dzimm: Endlessly grind? It took maybe 10 hours to get all the characters and I was slow playing it.

Yeah, not everybody wants to have to do that.

Avatar image for mister-man
#20 Posted by Mister-Man (609 posts) -

@dzimm: you don’t have to spend 10 hours to unlock every character if you dont want to unlock them passively. Took me under 3 hours getting everyone beating classic mode on easy over and over again. And if you consider playing 3 hours to unlock every character in a FIGHTING game (a genre where unlocking characters is the STANDARD) then you might not want to be playing fighting games to begin with, brother.

Avatar image for vaidream45
#21 Edited by Vaidream45 (1540 posts) -

By far my favorite Smash game of all time. They did great. Nothing is perfect ever but I can’t get myself to complain about anything because they just gave us sooooo much content. This almost feels like a thank you to us who stuck with Nintendo. Those mentioning having to unlock characters I feel the need to remind you that this way is much more rewarding and free compared to the usual “here’s half of the fighters now pay us extra to get the rest”. They gave us a ridiculous amount of fighters to unlock and choose from. Every 3rd fight on average you get a chance to unlock someone new. I love it. Gives me a reason to play a few single playet matches before playing online.

Avatar image for veriud
#22 Posted by Veriud (5 posts) -

super smash has 3 games in one, it's amazing!

Avatar image for bgres077
#23 Posted by bgres077 (12587 posts) -

@dzimm: Then rip through it in 2 hours and get them all. It's not difficult. Do gamers need to be spoon fed everything on a silver platter these days?

Avatar image for dzimm
#24 Edited by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@bgres077 said:

@dzimm: Then rip through it in 2 hours and get them all. It's not difficult. Do gamers need to be spoon fed everything on a silver platter these days?

I'm sorry you don't approve. I guess it's time to turn in my "Hardkore Gamerz Klub" membership card.