So my mom made a mistake and bought me a game that isn't worth a purchase...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts

Now, my mom doesn't ever buy me games but randomly she did this time and got me the game "The Settlers". Now, I still apperciate that she did this for me and I thanked her and I was happy that she did it but I told her the game is not worth the price tag of 30 dollars. So the next day I take it and go back to EB Games (I work at GameStop) and told them that I got it as a gift and did not want it. They told me I cannot because it is open but it is how I received the game, open unwraped and the game was placed inside. So I told them that it was how I got it, opened and the employee placed the game inside the display case. He seemed not to believe me for some reason and neglected me to return the game.

So I have a question of what should I do with it? I don't want it and I have tried playing it and im not into it at all, I don't even like those types of games.

JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
You work at GameStop, you should know the policy.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nygiants1080

You work at GameStop, you should know the policy.JAB991

Yeah I do, and I followed it.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

What is the policy?

If it's return new games then you go back and you get your money back and if you don't you contact corporate and complain to them then get your money back.

If that's the policy then they HAVE to do the return.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
I would have just kept it, it was a gift...
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nygiants1080

I would have just kept it, it was a gift...TheSystemLord1

Edit: For some reason what I said didn't come up but I said: I would rather get a gift that wasn't a waste of my moms money.

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Wait, you work at GameStop? Couldn't you return it yourself?
pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts
You can trade it in.
dan_savi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 dan_savi
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts
Yhea trade it. They wont give your 30 dollars back but you can gain a little ;)
Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
id just cut my lossess and trade it in to get some moolah and get something for ur mom if shes mad
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#11 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts
Be grateful your mom loved you enough to buy something, especially a game. Play the game, even though you don't like it and try to find some value in it. Otherwise your mom may never buy you another game.
zeppelin_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 zeppelin_64
Member since 2006 • 3924 Posts
Take it back while you're working. And return it to yourself. Then you can do what you want.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nygiants1080
We are not able to trade in/return games ourselves, if you do you can get in trouble for it. And responding to d_parker, I am grateful my mom bought me a game but I am trying to get a game that I would play rather sit around and collect dust and be a complete waste not only to me but my moms money.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#14 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

The reviews say its buggy. Complain about that and try to get your money or a credit that way.

Complain either to the store it was bought or the company that made it.

Or depending on how fiesty your mother is, get her to take it back and complain - loud customers sometimes get results.
imafreshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 imafreshman
Member since 2004 • 221 Posts
They cant do that... I make them wrap it every time though(lol) I hate places like that their all rip offs. If i becom rich somehow im gonna sue them until they change their policies.
jmanw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 jmanw
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts
if I were you, and my mom spent $30 that could have been feeding a homeless person for a month, i would just quit.
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

Go in again. Even if it's the same guy tell him a different story like, "I bought this game and it's defective." It's a pretty uncommon title, and chances are, they'll give you store credit.

I've done it a about 4 or 5 times and a couple WITHOUT a receipt. You just have to give them a hard time. Hassle the guy a little. He'll do it just to shut you up.

(And just for the record, I think The Setters is a pretty good game.)

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

So the moral of the story is Gamestop sucks and you shouldn't support them/work for them. My friend (here we go, not a direct experience but a FRIEND'S experience) worked at Gamestop and quite frankly, their policies and methods are infuriating. Don't even think about going in there to just look around. Those jerks will come up to you and practically hump your leg to get you to buy a damn game. Get off me, I'm just looking.

I do support a company that seemingly came out of the blue in the 90's to make video games more mainstream, but I hate them for their new game policy. Namely the fact that they do this kind of crap. I will NEVER buy a new game from Gamestop.

A) They usually give you a copy of the (new) game that they had behind the counter, and put it in the case. How do you know its new?

B) It instills a lack of trust in the consumer/provider spectrum. "I'll sell you a game no problem... just don't you dare even think about cracking open that package and stealing it though. Hey! Here's an idea! We'll just open 'em all ourselves and keep them behind the counter and say they're new copies!"

C) They usually aren't as reasonably priced as a true market retailer. e.g. Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, etc.

Dark_Eagle80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dark_Eagle80
Member since 2005 • 3517 Posts

What I dislike about GameStop/EBGames is when they have new games and you are the lucky customer that buys the last copy, the game case is open. They go behind the counter or back room to get the game and place disc or cart in the case. They tell you that if it needs to be returned it goes as a new game (as long stickers are still on box). When I tried to return it, they said I couldn't since the box was opened. I'm to the point to call an attorney general to complain about their practice as for one, lets wouldn't say that the copy you buy is suppose to be new, but actually it's used. Why can't GameStop/EBGames receive display boxes to take to counter so the customer knows their game will be srink wrapped new? Or have slips that you take to the counter to get the game?

The only thing I can say is....since EBGames is owned by GameStop can't a person return a new game at any GameStop/EBGame store, like one can due with Walmarts and other stores? If so, do a return at the GameStop you work at.

Rockhopper_45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Rockhopper_45
Member since 2007 • 1045 Posts
Trade it into walmart they don't care or know that you haven't bought it there.
darth_hid3ous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 darth_hid3ous
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts
I know this is off topic but when you scramble "stop" at the end of gamestop,you get gamespot!! :lol:
mtburdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mtburdell
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts
The problem in trying to return it though is it was opened right? So not walmart or anyone is going to accept it as a return i don't think. A few months back there was a whole discussion of this hereand some manager fromEB or gamestop was saying how they only crack open one copy to use as a display for the box and then if you come along and all the other copies are sold out they give you that one. OK that makes sense but if it prevents you from then returning the game that's not right. I don't get games at stores usually but i'd never accept an open copy because you never know if it's actually used and then the problem about the returns as well i guess. I know your mom was getting you a gift but since you work at Gamestop i'd think she'd have more sense than to get you a game without knowing if it was good or not. Not critisizing her wanting to be nice but what did she know about the game to just plunk down 30 bucks on a game based on a title like 'The Settlers' -who even heard of that not like it was Spiderman or something. Anyway i guess she'll not do that again. -overall though, buying a new game that's been opened; bad idea!
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

If it was truely open, simply tell your mom to exchange it for another game with you. When an adult tries to return something they have much better luck most of th time. Why you ask, because when an adult returns something they usually tell the truth about said return. Way way to many younger people abuse the system so they crack down on what a younger person can and can not do. I know this will more than likely get me flamed by the younger people (don't be offended if you're not the problem then i'm not talking about you).

If you work at a gamestore simply take it in and explain it to your boss. I'm sure he/she will understand and do the exchange for you.

edit. I forgot to add that if you simply tell your mom that it's not worth the 30.00 paid for it I doubt she'll be offended. She might even think you are wise for recognizing it and not spending money on worthless junk. Just explain to her why it's not worth it and get her to see you're being responsible.