Snaking, A Wheel, And The Future Of Mario Kart...

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

So, by now everybody knows that there is a new Mario Kart coming out for the Wii sometime next year. And probably most of you know that you will be using the Wiimote as a wheel (with a kids-size, white, plastic donut attached to it that they call a "wheel"). Here's an adult holding the wheel (and yes, I know who this is, but he's still an adult, isn't he? Well, I guess that's still up for debate...):

Anyway, back to the topic, many people who have played Mario Kart DS online know very well that there are snakers out there (Some of you might even snake yourself...I'm talking to you, Johnny snake-a-lot!). Now, I have nothing against snaking, but I feel if the other player isn't snaking, you should keep it fair and not snake yourself, but that's another whole discussion.
Oh yeah, if you don't know what snaking is, here you go (this comes from Wikipedia's website about Mario Kart DS):

Snaking

The execution of several consecutive mini-turbos, by drifting back and forth across a straightaway, is a technique known as "snaking", which has caused minor controversy in Wi-Fi play. Some gamers consider snaking to be a positive aspect of the game, as it makes the game more competitive. Snaking was originally known as performing "Straight-Stretch Mini-Turbos" in the Mario Kart 64 era. Nintendo Power magazine once responded to a reader mail in its Pulse section, describing snaking as "kind of lame" and that it goes against the original intentions of the game's developers. However, it is important to note that this is not Nintendo's official position, but rather the opinion of one writer for Nintendo Power. Others have similarly argued that snaking is an exploitation of game's Mini-Turbo mechanics; on the other hand, a Nintendo of America official has personally described snaking as an intentional part of the game's design, considering that a similar technique could also be performed in Mario Kar: Double Dash!!.

And here's a video from YouTube on how to snake, if that wasn't enough:

How To Snake

Anyway, getting to my question, will snaking be possible with a steering wheel instead of the analogue stick? If it is possible, will it be harder, or easier to pull of? Do you snake? How would this affect your gameplan? Let's hear what you have to say, and if you have any stories about snaking, or Mario Kart in general, feel free to share.

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sants412
Member since 2007 • 5599 Posts
It will defiently be harder with a steering wheel, but probably still possible. I don't snake. It would help my gameplan becuase snaking won't be as easy to do with the wheel.
quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 quetzalcoatl45
Member since 2005 • 1850 Posts

it's at Touchy Issue to say the least.

One side thinks its Unfair and should be removed or Nerfed and anybody who uses is weak and has to win at all cost, the other thinks its just fine and see those who are against it are Weak srucb's that are just mad becasue the lack the Sikill to do it.

Both camps are wrong.

There is no Official word from Nintendo about it, only the Opinions of one NP Editor and scores of Raging zelots for both sides.

As or the wheel, i think (if it is left in) would make it Harder, as your Arm's would get tired Fast from Jreking the Wheel Left and Right quickly. But, then again, ifthere is GCN/CC Support, Sankers will jsut use that Instead.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bob_newman

If you look at the second two pictures, it looks like wario is using the drift brake, so maybe snaking is still in.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/driving/mariokart/images.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs&tag=tabs;images

dieasgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 dieasgrey
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts
Unfair??...we've been doing it since the beginnign of Mario Kart. Its a craft.
sherbert-lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sherbert-lime
Member since 2007 • 84 Posts

Finally someone explained to me the concept of snaking! All I must say now is,what is everyone complaining about? This is not cheating this is skill! I have I guess subliminally doing this on Mario Kart 64 my whole life cause it's the quickest way to drive until you get to the power ups and get a boost. IF EVERYONE WAS SKILLED ENOUGH TO SNAKE WOULDN"T THAT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!??!?! IT's skill not cheating! If everyone else can do it, how is it cheating everyone is given the same opertunity. This is like saying handwritting is faster than printing, so handwritters must be cheating! It's up to you!

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sants412

Finally someone explained to me the concept of snaking! ALl I must say now is, hwta is everyone complaining about? This is not cheating this is skill! I have I guess subliminally doing this on Mario Kart 64 my whole life cause it's the quickest way to drive until you get to the power ups and get a boost. IF EVERYONE WAS SKILLED ENOUGH TO SNAKE WOULDN"T THAT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!??!?!

sherbert-lime

Plain old racing is just better. If your opponent doesn't snake neither should you.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Anyway, getting to my question, will snaking be possible with a steering wheel instead of the analogue stick? If it is possible, will it be harder, or easier to pull of? Do you snake? How would this affect your gameplan? Let's hear what you have to say, and if you have any stories about snaking, or Mario Kart in general, feel free to share.bob_newman
1) Probably...just a lot more tiring 2) I can, but I don't when the other players don't...but once I see anyone snaking....here I come!! 3)Nope...I'm good :D I generally dislike other snakers especially when it's a four player race. What usually happens is one player will snake like crazy while the other two don't know how. Since I don't wanna sit back and watch, I start to snake as well. This, however, discourages the other two players and they disconnect. And when I end up beating the snaker, they D/C. I wish snakers reviewed the other players first before wearing out their thumbs. EDIT: who here thinks Wavedashing/waveshining is cheating?
sherbert-lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sherbert-lime
sherbert-lime wrote:

Finally someone explained to me the concept of snaking! ALl I must say now is, hwta is everyone complaining about? This is not cheating this is skill! I have I guess subliminally doing this on Mario Kart 64 my whole life cause it's the quickest way to drive until you get to the power ups and get a boost. IF EVERYONE WAS SKILLED ENOUGH TO SNAKE WOULDN"T THAT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!??!?!

Plain old racing is just better. If your opponent doesn't snake neither should you.

excuse me this is mario kart it's not "plain old racing" play some forza if u want plain old racing

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sants412
sherbert-lime wrote:

excuse me this is mario kart it's not "plain old racing" play some forza if u want plain old racing

sherbert-lime

Um? Okay, by plain old racing I meant racing the real way that everyone knows how to do.

dieasgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 dieasgrey
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts
[QUOTE="sherbert-lime"]sherbert-lime wrote:

Sants412

Um? Okay, by plain old racing I meant racing the real way that everyone knows how to do.

Then Don't play in the big leagues if you cant earn your check!

sherbert-lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sherbert-lime

ok you can do "race" as i snake, the way i see it snaking will always exist as long as power sliding exists so i pwn u in the end!

Your one of those gamers who makes pretend rules if there are no controlable restrictions in the game "dont do this so it will be fare" more like "dont do this so i can get an edge"

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sants412
[QUOTE="Sants412"][QUOTE="sherbert-lime"]sherbert-lime wrote:

dieasgrey

Then Don't play in the big leagues if you cant earn your check!

Ok guys you go ahead and snake, just don't add my FC.
sherbert-lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sherbert-lime
why would we anyways we're not your firend! LOL
Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sants412
why would we anyways we're not your firend! LOLsherbert-lime
HAHAHA SOOO FUNNNYYY LOLZ no.
flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#17 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts
Snaking is technically an exploit because not all karts and characters can do it, simple as that. Also if you can't win without snaking then you're not doing it because its a "skill", you're using it because you can't win without using a cookie cutter explit. :)
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#18 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts

I hope it is possible, I always SSMT since MK64 and don't see a reason for it to not continue

Great gamers tend to find thebest way to play, if you can't do it, go find some players who can't eitherand play with them...have fun :D

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZumaJones07
lets ALL be friends!!! That way Nintendo will realize that everyone likes each other and remove friend codes *loud voice* FOREVER!!!! :?
sherbert-lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sherbert-lime
if the game isnt stopping you from doing it, it's not cheating
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bob_newman
Since there's online, would anyone be opposed to the idea of a "Snaking League" and a "Regular League" in the main server? Like, if you could choose either to be in a race with people that snake, and another one for people that don't snake?
Also, I'd like to see how well people who snake can play without snaking. I've always wondered if it would turn out to be an even match or not. I can do both, personally, so if everyone else isn't snaking, I won't either. I don't NEED to snake to win, and I'm just wondering how well people can do without snaking, if everyone else isn't either.
Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sants412
Okay, to me snaking is a CHEAP way to get ahead, NOT cheating. So I'd rather have a compttiive race without snaking, and oh you wouldn't own me cuz I would snake back if you did.
flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#23 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts
if the game isnt stopping you from doing it, it's not cheatingsherbert-lime
Stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sants412
[QUOTE="sherbert-lime"]if the game isnt stopping you from doing it, it's not cheatingflclempire
Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Seriously, some people just don't know what they're talking about.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZumaJones07
[QUOTE="sherbert-lime"]sherbert-lime wrote:

Sants412

While I do agree it's not cheating... I also see what Sants is saying. What if I wanted to choose the Tyrant or DK's jungle car thing just for the heck of it? Well, guess what, I can't. Those cars are built for speed, but snaking tromps natural speed. So I cannot enjoy all the contents of the game. If I were at home, I'd add all of you guys and race y'all. :D
Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sants412
Since there's online, would anyone be opposed to the idea of a "Snaking League" and a "Regular League" in the main server? Like, if you could choose either to be in a race with people that snake, and another one for people that don't snake?
Also, I'd like to see how well people who snake can play without snaking. I've always wondered if it would turn out to be an even match or not. I can do both, personally, so if everyone else isn't snaking, I won't either. I don't NEED to snake to win, and I'm just wondering how well people can do without snaking, if everyone else isn't either.
bob_newman
People would just snake on the main server.
llama1107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 llama1107
Member since 2007 • 291 Posts
does snaking work on gamecube version??
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Hopefully snaking dies on the Wii... it looks a little too much like project gotham racing. Let's drive like a putz down a straightaway because the programmers think it's awesome looking. No thanks, I perfer my racing style smooth and slick where time is shaved off by perfect driving not a bonus of speed provided by crappy weaving.
Quiksilver0519

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Quiksilver0519
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
mario kart wii needs to come out sooner, and just to stay on topic, i don't really mind if some1 else snakes cause then i'll just do it, but i'd rather just race without snaking.
Quiksilver0519

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Quiksilver0519
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
yes and on mario kart 64
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bob_newman

[QUOTE="bob_newman"]Since there's online, would anyone be opposed to the idea of a "Snaking League" and a "Regular League" in the main server? Like, if you could choose either to be in a race with people that snake, and another one for people that don't snake?
Sants412

Well, I think that there could be some way for Nintendo to put in a "minimum time" for a lap (seeing as they will know roughly how long it would take for people to make one lap, being the developers and all), and if someone exceeds what they think is the best time you can get for a lap, you get disqualified. Short cuts would also be included in the minimum time. That way, if someone is snaking, it'll show in their lap time.

quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 quetzalcoatl45

I admit i cannot snake, due to an Injury my left hand suffered years ago, i can't shuffle my Thumb across the D-Pad Fast Enough, Plus it really hurts.

I still race if others in the game snake, mainly because i know someone will likely DC, so ill break even on the match. Plus id rather complete the races and get one loss than DC and get 3.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bob_newman

I admit i cannot snake, due to an Injury my left hand suffered years ago, i can't shuffle my Thumb across the D-Pad Fast Enough, Plus it really hurts.

I still race if others in the game snake, mainly because i know someone will likely DC, so ill break even on the match. Plus id rather complete the races and get one loss than DC and get 3.

quetzalcoatl45

...Changed your original post a little bit, hey? Had some time to cool down and re-think it? Ok good.

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sants412

[QUOTE="Sants412"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]Since there's online, would anyone be opposed to the idea of a "Snaking League" and a "Regular League" in the main server? Like, if you could choose either to be in a race with people that snake, and another one for people that don't snake?
bob_newman

Well, I think that there could be some way for Nintendo to put in a "minimum time" for a lap (seeing as they will know roughly how long it would take for people to make one lap, being the developers and all), and if someone exceeds what they think is the best time you can get for a lap, you get disqualified. Short cuts would also be included in the minimum time. That way, if someone is snaking, it'll show in their lap time.

That would be impossible, regualr people can go faster then really good ankers. And what would happen if items were on and you just randomly seemed to get a whole bunch of mushrooms? The person would get thrown off the server and they'd be like WTF?
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="Sants412"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]Since there's online, would anyone be opposed to the idea of a "Snaking League" and a "Regular League" in the main server? Like, if you could choose either to be in a race with people that snake, and another one for people that don't snake?
Sants412

That would be impossible, regualr people can go faster then really good ankers. And what would happen if items were on and you just randomly seemed to get a whole bunch of mushrooms? The person would get thrown off the server and they'd be like WTF?

Alright, fair enough...it was just a thought

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sants412
[QUOTE="Sants412"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

bob_newman

Alright, fair enough...it was just a thought

It was a good thought though IMO. Just the lap thing wasn't great. Maybe if they had some kind of detector, but I doubt it.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bob_newman
Yeah, Nintendo won't put that much effort into it, they probably want us to continue arguing about it...gets us to talk about Mario Kart more, and any publicity is good publicity.
quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 quetzalcoatl45
Maybe they cold restrict Mini-Turbo's to Corners somehow, like a Zone were you can do it...
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Finally someone explained to me the concept of snaking! All I must say now is,what is everyone complaining about? This is not cheating this is skill! I have I guess subliminally doing this on Mario Kart 64 my whole life cause it's the quickest way to drive until you get to the power ups and get a boost. IF EVERYONE WAS SKILLED ENOUGH TO SNAKE WOULDN"T THAT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!??!?! IT's skill not cheating! If everyone else can do it, how is it cheating everyone is given the same opertunity. This is like saying handwritting is faster than printing, so handwritters must be cheating! It's up to you!

sherbert-lime

You cant Snake in mario kart 64. I think you are thinking about a power slide. Also the only Mk game that i have owned is 64 so i do not know how to snake but i think that it is unfair. Honestly in real life if you slide back and forth in a car you dont get a power boosts, you get honked at or pulled over by a cop.

m1k3m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 m1k3m
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
I agree 100% with Sants. sherbert lime you are pretty outspoken for a level 3 with 15 posts...
greenneil4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 greenneil4
Member since 2005 • 2041 Posts
I don't personally snake but I do think that other gamers have a right to snake. If they can play competively by doing that then do it. But I think that it will be harder to sake in wii mario kart.
riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 riseneclipse
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts

if the game isnt stopping you from doing it, it's not cheatingsherbert-lime

^ biggest nub evar. but seriously, attacking people for stating their opinions is pretty childish. now i dont consider snaking to be cheating but i choose not to do it because i enjoy the game much more without it. and in the end its always more satisfying to have a close match then to pwn the other guy with snaking. go ahead and flame me if you want but it will just prove my childish point up above.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts
maybe, you can use the dpad to snake??
moondoggey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 moondoggey
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts

this is the 1st time i heard bout snakeing

how much dose it help like how much faster do you drive when you snake

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sants412

this is the 1st time i heard bout snakeing

how much dose it help like how much faster do you drive when you snake

moondoggey
it doesn't help at all, so you shouldn't do it :D
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

#46 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
[QUOTE="sherbert-lime"]

alexh_99

You cant Snake in mario kart 64. I think you are thinking about a power slide. Also the only Mk game that i have owned is 64 so i do not know how to snake but i think that it is unfair. Honestly in real life if you slide back and forth in a car you dont get a power boosts, you get honked at or pulled over by a cop.

You can, the main difference is the mechanisms of the game, which forces you to incline too much your kart, this way you lose speed if you try to change sides, however, for you to gain speed with MTsat straight ways in Mario Kart 64, you simply don't change side, you keep MTing in one side only....there you go, you're MTing in a straight way!

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
Snaking is a annoying IMO. People do it a lot and it forces me to snake to keep up. I usually get win or get a close second but it's not much fun in the end. I think people snake because they don't like losing.
fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#48 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
Snaking is really annoying andI think that Nintendo should take it out in future MK games. Racing normally is more fun. If they don't take it out, that shows thatNintendo has no problem with snaking. In that case, I guess by all means, go ahead and snake.
moondoggey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 moondoggey
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts

Snaking is really annoying andI think that Nintendo should take it out in future MK games. Racing normally is more fun. If they don't take it out, that shows thatNintendo has no problem with snaking. In that case, I guess by all means, go ahead and snake. fmobliv06

but it dose sound lke hurting the game

fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#50 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts

[QUOTE="fmobliv06"]Snaking is really annoying andI think that Nintendo should take it out in future MK games. Racing normally is more fun. If they don't take it out, that shows thatNintendo has no problem with snaking. In that case, I guess by all means, go ahead and snake. moondoggey

but it dose sound lke hurting the game

yeah it does. I stopped playing online MKDS mostly because it was annoying. I think I snaked decently when I tried, but it's not fun then because thegame is no longer Mario Kart, it's just a question of who can power slide back and forth longer.