Shin Megami Tensei DS scores a 9 on Gamespot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Here's the review. Any thoughts?

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#2 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

GS reviewers count as liars most of the time for me.

me and those reviewers don't have the same views on ANY games so in my eye I'd see a 4. P:

I'm buying it anyway.

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
Well then I'm so getting that game... once I get the money. Poverty sucks :(
maxx1458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 maxx1458
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts
Already wanted the game this just helps in making me feel better about my decision.
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts
wasn't expecting that score especially from GS,guess that its one game i have to check out
TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

Already wanted the game this just helps in making me feel better about my decision. maxx1458

Read the first three words of the title, that's all you need to know. ;)

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Yes I am admitting bias, but when the game has Shin Megami Tensei in it's title it is pretty much a must buy for me. If the game scored below an 8 I would have been shocked.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I think I might buy this game.

Shiafiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shiafiku
Member since 2008 • 493 Posts
hmm , I might just pick this one up. But I won't be expecting THAT much, since GS is kinda bias when it comes to Shin Megami Tensei.
HirOkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HirOkami
Member since 2009 • 91 Posts

hmm , I might just pick this one up. But I won't be expecting THAT much, since GS is kinda bias when it comes to Shin Megami Tensei.Shiafiku

Shin Megami Tensei games score very high almost everywhere or do you mean they always score 9's on GS haha. This game is a must for me too however i am kinda turned off by the first person perspective in battle and limited battle animation and the music is very good but it could be better. I kinda wish i could have had a SMT Persona experience on the DS but i applaud this effort for the DS and expect nothing less of it.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#11 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts
Excellent. Can't wait for my pre-order to get here. Amazon 'free shipping' takes a while. :P
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#12 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts
Both Devil Summoner which is set in 1920 Japan got a 7.5 out of 10... compared to the other games... Gamespot always has their ways of reviews games, it's just makes it easier to make desicions of finding the best experience in video games.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Was going to get it, but wait a little while after release before buying it. Now I'm just going to buy it right away :P

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

I know destructoid talked about it but the most important point of the review isn't really as clear as to WHY it deserves a 9.

The game is deep, yet it removes the rpg convention of an inventory and equipment section.

There are no items or equipment, yet it is an rpg.

That's called progress.

shadowy_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shadowy_shadow
Member since 2009 • 88 Posts
Do you think i should buy this game ? i need an opinion from who have actually played it.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
Already wanted the game this just helps in making me feel better about my decision. maxx1458
Same. Thought it looked good, if not this good.
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

I don't think I'm getting this game. First of all any game that is presenting itself as a monster catcher should have multiplayer, I don't want to play a single player monster catcher because I wave many better kinds of single player games and I'm not a fan of collecting them all. Second of all I practically purchased any other Atlus games for the DS that came out this year and I still haven't played most of them. Third of all I don't even know how the game works. You know why, The officilal website didn't tell me. I refuse to buy name brand because the last time I did that I baught FF3 one of the worst games on the DS in my opinion.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

I still over the fence about it, specially because my game funds are low this month, i just picked starfy and i was surprised, having a good deal with fun of it. Also i`m going to get megaman star force 3 mainly because i`m a fan of megaman, so yeah. I think i gonna wait some reviews poop up but the lack of animations and first person view will be surely a no-no to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7d3c08ed601
deactivated-5e7d3c08ed601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e7d3c08ed601
Member since 2007 • 6696 Posts
Looks good, but I still have other games I need to pick up first (TWEWY, Chrono Trigger)
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

This will help people on the fence, particularly players of the series.

They fixed fusing. No more guesswork and no more entering/exiting the fuse screen to get the abilities you want.

Considering half my time playing SMT games is at the fusion screen, this is the definitive streamline I've been waiting for.

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts
[QUOTE="SirSpudly"]

They fixed fusing. No more guesswork and no more entering/exiting the fuse screen to get the abilities you want.

Considering half my time playing SMT games is at the fusion screen, this is the definitive streamline I've been waiting for.

I didn't understand a thing what was going on there at all.
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Burning-Sludge

SirSpudly

It doesn't help me at all. I haven't played a single SMT game, I played Etrian odyssey 2 if that counts.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

I wasn't particularly interested in the game but after reading some reviews it seems like a really good game. I hated a lot of the music I heard during gameplay videos I watched though :(

HirOkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HirOkami

I just got the game today and I love it. I just kinda wished I wasnt "timed" I know you will have enough time to go about do what you need to do, but the very notion and feel that you have time before characters die is quite unsettling, I guess because i was hoping for more of a more relaxed high school run through but alas this is not persona, and yea i wasnt quite fond of the music as i said before but as I played the game the music grew on me and i enjoy it now even the lack of battle animation hasnt botherd me now although i would have liked to see a Yuzu character model in battle. Advisory from me is that yes theres a strategy element in this game but its quite easy to get around it the depth is in the first person battles and customization and i guess Demon Auction, So yea as long as you like first person battling and any amount of strategy based movement gameplay this game is worth it.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Burning-Sludge

I didn't know what was so good about TWEWY when I played I and already have a bunch of SRPGs (most I havent played through yet) so I may avoid this one. Aren't most monster catchers multiplayer?

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WAIW

I didn't know what was so good about TWEWY when I played I and already have a bunch of SRPGs (most I havent played through yet) so I may avoid this one. Aren't most monster catchers multiplayer?

Burning-Sludge
This game's nothing like TWEWY. I really don't understand why people keep making references to it. The only similarities are that they are both very 'Japanese' (for lack of a better word), star teenagers with a 7 day countdown (though the way each game handles that clock is unique) and take place in Shibuya (again, each game handles that differently). Their narratives, battle systems, soundtracks and so forth are not even comparable. Anyway, I love the battle system, but the soundtrack is starting to grate on the nerves with its repetition and the storytelling is too heavyhanded for me. Not sure if I would agree with the GS review, but it's undoubtedly a good game.
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Burning-Sludge

[QUOTE="Burning-Sludge"]

WAIW

This game's nothing like TWEWY. I really don't understand why people keep making references to it. The only similarities are that they are both very 'Japanese' (for lack of a better word), star teenagers with a 7 day countdown (though the way each game handles that clock is unique) and take place in Shibuya (again, each game handles that differently). Their narratives, battle systems, soundtracks and so forth are not even comparable. Anyway, I love the battle system, but the soundtrack is starting to grate on the nerves with its repetition and the storytelling is too heavyhanded for me. Not sure if I would agree with the GS review, but it's undoubtedly a good game.

Would it be be more fair if I compared it to Luminous arc, Etrian Odyssey, or Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker?

HirOkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HirOkami

[QUOTE="Burning-Sludge"]

WAIW

Not just Shibuya TWEWY is confined only to Shibuya, SMT is the whole Yamanote Line meaning all the districts within the Tokyo urban area, yea focus more on the games batlle system rather than the strategy all though some missions requre you to get across the map pretty qucikly.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WAIW

[QUOTE="WAIW"][QUOTE="Burning-Sludge"]

Burning-Sludge

Would it be be more fair if I compared it to Luminous arc, Etrian Odyssey, or Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker?

Haven't played Luminous Arc, but I can safely say it isn't anything like the other two. True enough, it has elements that are present in Etrian Odyssey and Joker -- the first-person role-playing and monster taming are the most obvious -- but those are merely two slices of the pie. It's unlike anything else I've ever played, really.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

This is the first I'm hearing about the game...

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I'm surprised it got such a high score from this site. I'll check it eventually if it isn't as hard as other reviews made it sound.

Spade_Crisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 Spade_Crisis
Member since 2007 • 809 Posts

I never really thought any of the DS reviews here in GS were accurate. I'm getting this game anyway.:P

GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
Hmmm, sounds great but I normally don't like time limits in games...
TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

I'm surprised it got such a high score from this site. I'll check it eventually if it isn't as hard as other reviews made it sound.

soulless4now

It gets pretty hard towards the end, so you might not like it. (You don't need to grind, just form a good strategy.)

shadowy_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shadowy_shadow
Member since 2009 • 88 Posts
Hmmm, sounds great but I normally don't like time limits in games...GamerJM
Me neither they suck !
MaximumKay9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MaximumKay9
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts
just got it. it's not as awesome as TWEWY or KH days but it's still pretty good.
Bigcol1611

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#37 Bigcol1611
Member since 2008 • 796 Posts

Have never played any of the series before, but it has some good feedback! I might pick this.....

superapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 superapo
Member since 2009 • 1714 Posts

i got this game last week it's sweet. my only objection is that the balance between battles and story segments is not balanced

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

i got this game last week it's sweet. my only objection is that the balance between battles and story segments is not balanced

superapo
Seems interesting, don't know about that much, I will need to see more reviews before I get it or not.
BzPwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BzPwns
Member since 2009 • 110 Posts

Awesome.