Rumor: New Nintendo DS model!! (in the works)

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kbs64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Kbs64
Member since 2003 • 691 Posts

It is rumored that Nintendo will be coming out with a new DS as soon as the DS sales start to slip. Also it maybe called the DS Ultra or Ultimate.. With that in mind, what would you like this new DS revision to have or improve upon?

Better Screen protection from scratches?

Better Screen?

Pictochat being WiFi enabled instead of Local Lan?

Bigger screen?

Better buttons? Smaller or Larger?

Lighter?

New colors?

New Functionality?

New Interface?

Better Mic?

Improved Design?

Improved WiFi distance?

Smaller?

Better battery life

New look?

What would you like the New DS be called? I kind of like the name

The Nintendo DS Ultra Lite

~It just has a nice ring to it~

What is it that you want the DS to look and have? Anyone want to create a photo of what he'd/she'd like to DS to look like? Post it here!!

Keep it clean, No bashing please

Share your OPINION!!

Byung Suk :)

Revison Response to peoples comments:

I know that the DS sales are doing fantastic and they will continue to do so but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a revision DS on the back burner. You know, just incase... just to boost sales. But I do agree that of now, there is no reason for Nintendo to release a new model.

ramulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ramulux
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
*stands up in back of room starts clapping
Yoshi_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Yoshi_Hunter
Member since 2005 • 1614 Posts
love the way u introduced the ideas, some on the left, some on the right, some in the middle, it was interesting........o right ultra DS, ya sure why not, onyl prolem would be i would want it and i wouldnt be able to pay for it.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
No. No more revisions. You can't do much more to the DS without changing the whole thing, IMO. I think Nintendo is doing just fine with sales, they're nearing 60 million worldwide, and they're constantly at the top of the charts every single week. I think no revision is needed.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Sounds Great. Finally decent rumors. Right now im thinking "Oh ill stick with my lite" but i will end up buying a 3rd DS...

AND NINTENDO! PLZ MAKE IT BACKWARDS COMPATABLE TO PLAY GAMEBOY GAMES TOO!

gigaman299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 gigaman299
Member since 2004 • 1735 Posts
I can't see them slipping in terms of sales...
dhowell87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 dhowell87
Member since 2003 • 43 Posts
Well, it would be nice if the system was more ergonomic. After a few hours I just don't feel like holding it any more, even the lite. Also, having bigger screens would be nice, and like someone else said, complete backwards compatibility will all game boy titles would be awesome.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gameeer1
Member since 2006 • 16425 Posts
Sales are not slipping anytime soon, I can assure you that. They are still selling like hotcakes, what's the point of a revision at this point?
the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts
It would be very unnecessary.
Avatar image for bunnyofdoom2001
bunnyofdoom2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bunnyofdoom2001
Member since 2007 • 145 Posts

It would be very unnecessary.the_leet_kid

But very awesome.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts
The system is fine the way it is why change it they are selling like hotcakes.
Wallap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wallap
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I cant imagine a new shape of that one would be.

j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts
If they make a new one they should make the damn d-pad better. Trying to aim/move vertical in a game is annoying...
Supa_3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Supa_3rd
Where did you hear this rumour from?
helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
this is a rumor. nintendo already came out and said they won't be coming out with a new ds for a while. because sales are going still strong.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts
DS needs a flat analog stick.
Corvidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Corvidae
Member since 2003 • 4357 Posts
How about more good games instead of a redesign?
utakpulvoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 utakpulvoron
Member since 2007 • 333 Posts

How about more good games instead of a redesign? Corvidae

I agree. More games that are really in depth that will keep you glued in for hours and hours and hours....

Demonic_Jin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#19 Demonic_Jin
Member since 2005 • 10650 Posts

Even though I don't doubt that they could be designing a new DS, I don't expect it to be announced with the DS Lite still selling like crazy.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

[QUOTE="Corvidae"]How about more good games instead of a redesign? utakpulvoron

I agree. More games that are really in depth that will keep you glued in for hours and hours and hours....

Uh, there's tonnes of DS games that'll keep you playing for hours. What have you got? I'm sure you're missing something.

Wallap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wallap

the DS Lite still selling like crazy.Demonic_Jin

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
Hey the presintation was good. About this new DS I have hread about it to and I have seen pics of it (no not fake one the realy thing) it look kind cool the screen are bigger and there is NO GBA SLOT!!!!!!! so I don't realy like it because of that.
Wallap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wallap

I have seen pics of it (no not fake one the realy thing)Will47

yeah right...

proof request !!!

poetsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 poetsoul
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

According to GameSpot news, someone connected to the project is claiming that the redesign is already complete.

Don't hold your breath, however. Even if the rumor is true, with the DS lite repeatedly outselling the PSP five units to one, Nintendo has no need to release the next DS version until sales start to slump.

Nintendo doesn't seem to want to encourage this rumor. In response to questioning, all Nintendo senior vice president George Harrison had to give was this...

"We don't have any imminent plans for an upgrade for the Nintendo DS. The product is still selling extremely well around the world."

On the surface this seems to be a flat denial, but of course, one can read into this quote and speculate the value of the word, 'imminent'. As far as Nintendo is concerned, the current DS sales predict a long and healthy period of DS-Lite profitability; the company won't need to release the new DS until they have a need to re-energize the market. What Harrison is saying doesn't necessarily bend the truth because in effect, all the man is saying is "not yet." Being something of a whimsical optimist, I choose to believe that the redesigned DS does in fact exist somewhere. It's probably in a drawer of Satoru Iwata's desk.

Look at the many iterations of GameBoy and GameBoy advance if you doubt that a Mark III DS is going to be out there someday.

Anyway, for those of you too lazy to hit the gamespot link, the features of the new DS emphaize sleekness and larger screens.

"Our contacts indicate that a refreshed DS is complete," Wilson said today in his holiday preview investor's note. "It is thinner (it has no GBA port), has on-board storage, and larger screens."

With the advent of onboard storage, I think I'll be content to lose the GBA port. It's been holding the DS memory expansion pack for my Opera Browse for the past 6 months. Its a shame to know that rumble will be out, but I think I'll survive without it.

So, there's a likelihood that the DS is due for another itteration sometime in the future. Just don't hold your breath for it.

Blazevoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blazevoir
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
New Colors, Better Design, Better Graphics. That's about it mmaybe add MP3 compatability? Downloadable content for games on like SMES NEs etc.?
Toastman923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Toastman923
Member since 2003 • 385 Posts

New Colors, Better Design, Better Graphics. That's about it mmaybe add MP3 compatability? Downloadable content for games on like SMES NEs etc.?Blazevoir

yeah if they addeed an SD slot or something, thatd be cool

i think in a GS article they said no more gba slot, i cant stand playing gba games on the ds

better buttons, bigger screens and a more comfortable shape would do it for me

Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts
This is just one of those lame topics that someone starts like every other day. If you even have the slightest understanding of business, you would realize this is not anytime in the foreseeable future.There is absolutely no reason to even discuss this now.I don't understand why you worry about what's next when you can enjoy what's now. But then again, I am a grown-up.
GSmashX_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 GSmashX_202
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts

The way the ds is selling I won't think this "DS Ultra" or "Ultimate" will be coming out for a long time

NeoXPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 NeoXPG
Member since 2004 • 262 Posts
If it is missing a GBA slot, I don't see how they can call it ultimate. I mean it has to be capable of playing DS titles, but what else? Will they ad rumble or Built in Web Browser, more memory better screens, what?
5Winston5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 5Winston5
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts
It would be cool if they added an analog stick
njfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 njfire
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts

The new ds should have a bigger screen and a joystick and a built in rumble pak.That would be awesome.They need to make it more slik andI think the Lite looks a little cheap.

thedestroyer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thedestroyer94
for sure
Joe_Do_This_To

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Joe_Do_This_To
Member since 2007 • 153 Posts
Get a PSP it is more worth it....for now
utakpulvoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 utakpulvoron
Member since 2007 • 333 Posts
[QUOTE="utakpulvoron"]

[QUOTE="Corvidae"]How about more good games instead of a redesign? Erebyssial

Uh, there's tonnes of DS games that'll keep you playing for hours. What have you got? I'm sure you're missing something.

The longest ive had is 22hours of gameplay, im looking for a game that is really immersive such as Disgaea for the PS. The amount of things and possibility you can do is just super. Plus i dont have online play so games have a shorter life span for me. But maybe you can suggest something like Disgaea?

Joe_Do_This_To

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Joe_Do_This_To

A new Lighter DS :( comon I just bought a DS Lite,It is already good enough so why try to make it lighter it be just too expensive and just wouldnt sell as much

KidPriestess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KidPriestess
WiFi pictochat, some more colors and a better mic...
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#40 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
I don't know, I certainly hope not... We don't need bigger screen, it's a handheld. The buttons are all right. The light system is ok, some don't even like the highest we have now and play in some lower setting. And colors they can make for the Lite anyway. The only good is maybe a better mic, but the better games won't use it anyway.
shadowl1nk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shadowl1nk
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
cool cool but uhh how much brighter does it need to be!
podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts

How about more good games instead of a redesign? Corvidae

that's all I want :(

redboxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 redboxa
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts
I say we need a new ds with only one screen ( sounds a little crazy huh? ) One big screen with a graphics processor in between those of n64 and gc. They could call it the IQ where it could have channels just like the wii. It would be a little wii actually, with browser built in, I've been thinking of something like this for a while. Two screens is kinda getting a bit goofy, why not one bigger touchable screen?
Joe_Do_This_To

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Joe_Do_This_To
Dude the DS might lose the portable race if it doesnt keep most of DS ownes away from other portable systems.:(
grifbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 grifbug
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

I would like the new DS to have a hardrive so rather than buying games you just have to download them off the internet onto a computer and then link your ds to the computer?????????

kiruyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 kiruyama
Member since 2006 • 1205 Posts

I would like the new DS to have a hardrive so rather than buying games you just have to download them off the internet onto a computer and then link your ds to the computer?????????

grifbug

Hard drives = battery whores.

Flash memory would be more reasonable, but that's expensive.

Jayesler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jayesler12
Member since 2006 • 1690 Posts
YAY! i was just about to get a DS lite because i got the DS Phat like a month before the DS lite came out :x so i guess i'll just wait and see if any news comes out or i'll just watch the sales. for now, i'll just play with my DS Phat. and if it is a rumor, it sure sounds possible. when the DS Phat lost sales, they introduced the DS lite with new colours, to bring sales up, and it has. so if sometime later when the DS lite start losing sales from like a PSP2 or something(not likely) they probably will release a new DS since they won't be able to add much features to the DS lite.

i would personally like slightly wider screens, and stronger smallerhinges so it doesn't crack or break, and it sorta connects the 2 screens closer together. Pictochat would be cool if it supported or became something like MSN messenger or something, but it still uses the touch screen for writing. but if the new DS is to add more features and overpass the DS lite, it should go from N64 graphics to something likegamecube graphics. they should also make it more compatible with the wii for some extra features to get sales from wiiDS owners.
Jayesler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jayesler12
Member since 2006 • 1690 Posts
I say we need a new ds with only one screen ( sounds a little crazy huh? ) One big screen with a graphics processor in between those of n64 and gc. They could call it the IQ where it could have channels just like the wii. It would be a little wii actually, with browser built in, I've been thinking of something like this for a while. Two screens is kinda getting a bit goofy, why not one bigger touchable screen? redboxa
it should not be like the wii at all. if a handheld came out thats just like the wii, it would effect both sales. i like the idea of one big touch screen, but what aboutit flipping open, or closing? whats going to protect the screen? the only features i see being on the new DS would me music and internet. it can't have miis, or photo channel, or News/forecast channels either.
Joe_Do_This_To

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Joe_Do_This_To
I think Medal of Honor for the DS would be nice with multiplayer. :/
yabbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 yabbal
Member since 2003 • 119 Posts
My wish list for DS2: 3.5" Screens Multitouch touchscreen Pressure sensitive buttons and DPad Same architecture as previous DS but lots more memory and faster processor speed Inbuilt web browser, IM, email, MP3/MP4 player SDHC card slot Max compatible cartridge size should be 4GB+ (32Gigabits) (the current DS is 256MB = 2Gigabits) By using the same architecture as the DS, the DS2 would maintain full backwards compatibility with existing DS games, plus developers could have the option to make games that will be compatible with both machines, offering better graphics when played on the new machine - like the way pc games scale the graphics settings based on hardware capabilities.