Rechargeable batteries or Wii charger (poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kidy3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 kidy3k
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts
tite explains
kingdomhartfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kingdomhartfan
Member since 2007 • 763 Posts
The Wii charger because that's what I have and all you have to do is put it down and wait a little while. If you have more than one wiimote it is a lot more convenient.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Rechargeable batteries, when you break it down there's no comparison.

On the surface the Wii charger looks good, and that's how they trick ya!

First of all the batteries the chargers use seem to be about 1800's from the playing time given on this board.

Secondly and most importantly is that the entire design behind the charge stations are flawed. Ok, you put the Wiimote on the holder each time you're done playing. Well each time you put the Wiimote on the charge station it charges also. That means that you play the Wii for 15 mins and put it away it charges and if you play it for 12 hours then put it away it charges.

All rechargeable batteries only have a certain number of charges they can take before they don't work anymore. Since a battery doesn't have a brain it doesn't know that it's not empty so it charges each and every time it's on the holder. So in one day where you set the Wiimote down three times when you're done playing you just wasted three charges of the battery's life.

Regular rechargeables give you the option of charging the battery only when you need to. That means no wasted charges and longer battery life. Also you're able to buy 2500 class of batteries whcih last much longer then the lower class batteries in the charge stations. Since the Wiimote tells you when the batteries are drained in the Wiimote there's no guesswork involved with anything, when they're dead you charge them, simple as that.

Now sure, you could only put the Wiimotes on the charge station when they're dead but what's the point of that? So not only do you have an inferior battery compared to the AA alternative but it's not a holder anymore either.

Also figure in things like the balance board. With rechargeable AA's you're able to use them everywhere and for anything that Nintendo will come out with, or anywhere else you need them.

Lastly it's cheaper to buy another set of rechargeable AA's then it is to buy replacement batteries for the charge stations in case anything ever goes wrong.

There's just no good reasons to buy a charge station when a superior alternative is available for the same or lower cost. (I and many others use the Energizer 2500's class of AA batteries with a charger, sold for around 25-28 dollars with 4 batteries in the US)

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Rechargeable batteries, easy to use and can be used for other things than a Wii remote.
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts
batteries, u can use them 4 other things 2
wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts
I'd only by the charger if it was first party. I don't like Nyko. o_x
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
rechargable batteries. i got duracell 15min chargers for $30 Canadian at walmart, still havent died after about 20 hours of use so far.
kidy3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 kidy3k
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts
now thats a good deal
WylFret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WylFret
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts

The first couple of months I had the Wii I used rechargeable batteries, and for the last 8-9 months I've used the charging station. Preferring the charging station, let me counterpoint Jasonguy for sake of discussion and offering a different view -

Rechargeable batteries, when you break it down there's no comparison.

On the surface the Wii charger looks good, and that's how they trick ya!

First of all the batteries the chargers use seem to be about 1800's from the playing time given on this board.Jaysonguy

No disagreement here, my 2650ma rechargeable Duracells last a lot longer than the Nyko batteries. That said, it's pretty rare that the Nyko batteries cut a gaming session short by running out.

Secondly and most importantly is that the entire design behind the charge stations are flawed. Ok, you put the Wiimote on the holder each time you're done playing. Well each time you put the Wiimote on the charge station it charges also. That means that you play the Wii for 15 mins and put it away it charges and if you play it for 12 hours then put it away it charges.

-snip-

Now sure, you could only put the Wiimotes on the charge station when they're dead but what's the point of that? So not only do you have an inferior battery compared to the AA alternative but it's not a holder anymore either.Jaysonguy

Actually, the design of the charge station is such that you have to press the Wiimotes down firmly to get the contacts to engage and charging to start. If you just set/rest the Wiimotes into the holders on the charging station, they don't charge. So you aren't forced to charge your Wiimotes in order to keep them in the holders.

Also figure in things like the balance board. With rechargeable AA's you're able to use them everywhere and for anything that Nintendo will come out with, or anywhere else you need them.

Lastly it's cheaper to buy another set of rechargeable AA's then it is to buy replacement batteries for the charge stations in case anything ever goes wrong.

There's just no good reasons to buy a charge station when a superior alternative is available for the same or lower cost. (I and many others use the Energizer 2500's class of AA batteries with a charger, sold for around 25-28 dollars with 4 batteries in the US)Jaysonguy

Using the charging station isn't mutually exclusive with using rechargeable batteries. I've had just a couple of times when the Wiimote batteries went down while we were playing. Both times I just popped the Nyko battery out and put in rechargeable AA (I still use rechargeables for other things like my digital camera) and continued. Yeah, when we were done I'd have to put the Nyko battery back in so I could charge it through the charging statiion, but again that's twicein 8-9 months. Not exactly a regular occurence. I probably get 8-10 hours of play on a charge.

To say "there's just no good reasons" is just speaking in absolutesfor no good reason. I paid $19.99 for the Nyko charging station at the local Wal-Mart when they first got them. Replacement batteries are $6.99 (Amazon), and like you say - all rechargeable batteries will wear out eventually. So a pair would be $14.A 4-pack of Energizer 2500ma rechargeables is $11 (Amazon). IMHO that's a negligible difference (much like difference between $20 for the charging station w/batteries for 2 Wiimotes or $25 for an Energizer charger with 4 AA batteries).

So I don't think you can consider either solution a clear cut "superior" option. Long term your battery costs will be marginally lower with rechargeable AAs (not significantly, but marginally). It's close enough to just call it a wash IMHO. So the real deciding factors come down to convenience (advantage charging station) vs. how long you get per individual charge (advantage rechargeable AA). You have to weigh those in terms of what matters to you personally. For *my* gaming habits, the charging station makes more sense. For *your* gamit habits, that may or may not be the case.

Avatar image for DaLegendKilla92
DaLegendKilla92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaLegendKilla92
Member since 2007 • 919 Posts
I'll take watever I can get.
Avatar image for Breakfast_Clubber
Breakfast_Clubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Breakfast_Clubber
Member since 2003 • 2803 Posts
wii chargers are too expensive compared to rechargable batteries (at least twice as much), and not nearly as versatile. it is cool to charge things via the wii's usb ports (like an ipod), and docks are always cool, but i mean, i throw my wii batteries in my digital camera too, can't lose.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
wii chargers are too expensive compared to rechargable batteries (at least twice as much), and not nearly as versatile. it is cool to charge things via the wii's usb ports (like an ipod), and docks are always cool, but i mean, i throw my wii batteries in my digital camera too, can't lose. Breakfast_Clubber
well the charger is kinda expensive but worth it
fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts
batteries since they can be used for anything else too
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
i use both actualy, and i find that the nyko charger is great, hell a lot of those 3rd party acsessories are nice like that classic controller shell that gives it n64 like handles as an alternative to the buttery smooth classic controller alone, and also keep me wiimote off the floor with a shell for it to stay pluged in on the back of the controller.
Jabba420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jabba420
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts
charger, its seems like the batteries in the charger have a much longer life
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Charger is better...But I use both:

But I use both. The Nyko dual charger battery cover can't fit in the Wii Zapper. So I use Rechargable batteries in my Wii mote that stays in my Zapper.

BTW I found really good rechageable batteries from Walmart for $11 (set of 4)

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts

I have yet to see a chager pack that is worht my buying.

I want one that charges the wii from the nunchuk port on the back. Or at least make a smaller battery pack that we take off or on.

Avatar image for PATRIOTREBORN77
PATRIOTREBORN77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 PATRIOTREBORN77
Member since 2007 • 217 Posts
Just go to the store and buy rechargeable batteries dumbasses,
actionquake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 actionquake
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts
Charger. It's just easier and more convenient.
huntervaneg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 huntervaneg
Member since 2007 • 519 Posts
I go for Nyko charger station based on my experience....!
draftrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 draftrough
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts
Recharchable Batteries. The charge stations are a waste of money and inhibit the remote of being able to go in wiimote preferalls like the Wii Zapper. Plus the charfge stations dont last long and they eventually stop charging all together.
bottomdollar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 bottomdollar
Member since 2004 • 1229 Posts

I love my Nyko Charger, it works well and its no hassle putting in and taking out batteries all the time. That said, rechargeable batteries can have its advantage. Like someone said before, I don't think there is a clear cut winner, it just depends on your taste. For those who have a Nyko Charger, here are two fun facts...

1. If you have a Wii Zapper, all you have to do is take off the cover and it will work fine. No need to use to change batteries and backs.

2. If you have a Wireless WaveBirdGamecube Controller, the Nyko Batteries fit snug, although you have to leave off the back cover.

wurydaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wurydaz
Member since 2004 • 311 Posts
I recently bought a set of duracell 2650mah and they are great like someone else mentioned in this post. I have to charge them for about 8 hrs in my charger but i have had them in my xbox360 controller for over a month and i play about an hour or 2 every day and they havnt died yet. I also used them on a remote controll heicopter that my friend happens to have the same one , his batteries died after a few charges and mine have shown no weakness at all yet. try them out , very good batteries and i got 8 batteries for about $25 at staples, prob. coulda got them a lil cheaper online.
savageguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 savageguy
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts
Well i use Rechargable batteries becuase it is easier for me as I have a $300 battery charger for other things and rather than buying a docking station type charger it cheaper for me to just use my charger.
arbonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 arbonne
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts

ive owned the wii charger and i was not very satisfied

mooweetv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mooweetv
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I had a charging station, but the design was flawed, the batteries were connected to the back panel, so you could not re-sync the controllers to a different wii because the button is inside the back panel. No power, no sync.
whosgotthe311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 whosgotthe311
Member since 2003 • 665 Posts
Rechargeable batteries until the Wii charger has the big N seal of approval. 3rd party hardware sucks.
WylFret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WylFret
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts

Rechargeable batteries until the Wii charger has the big N seal of approval. 3rd party hardware sucks.whosgotthe311

Well, it's good to know people are still making well informed rational decisions.

Xalenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 Xalenite
Member since 2006 • 304 Posts

Nyko charger

Only cuz it lights up blue :)

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon