Question about HDTV/EDTV and 50Hz/60Hz Compatiblity(PAL Wii version).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SSJ3-Buu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SSJ3-Buu
Member since 2004 • 362 Posts

Hey,

What does HDTV/EDTV Compatiblity mean? I know that some Wiigames on my HDTV looks kinda squishy(like mario party 8 which is not supported by that feature), but in games like MK:armageddon and exicte Truck I see sightly better(which are supported by HDTV), so that what it means? you see a little sharper and cleaner? is it normal that last-gen games(PS2,GC,XBOX...) and Wii games that aren't supported by HDTV/EDTV when played on HDTVslooks more "ugly" than when they are playedon a normal TV? because Iam not 100%sure what does that compatiblity exactly means...

Oh, and I am using the 480p mode(HDTV/EDTV) on the Wii display option.

Now, about 50Hz/60Hz mode, what does it mean? I know briefly what 50Hz/60Hz means, but some games like SSX Blur saying only "EDTV/HDTV compatible" on the cover of the game,does that mean that the game will run only in 50Hz? I think that 480p supports 60Hz on default, but some games got both "50Hz/60Hz mode" and EDTV/HDTV Compatible", so I am not sure about that thing...

Also another thing that some games don't have any 50Hz/60Hz or EDTV/HDTV, it will run in 50Hz also? because the PAL is meant for 50Hz on default, but games like Mario party 8 and Wii play says just "50Hz", no 60Hz, wierd... its confusing me!!!

Take note that I am talking about PAL Wiis and PAL games only, I have no idea whats the deal with NTSC ones:oops:.

It doesn't really matter to me(the games still look very nice and runs smoothly), but I am just curious about those things:D.

Thanks in advance!

SSJ3-Buu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SSJ3-Buu
Bump!
SSJ3-Buu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SSJ3-Buu
Bumpzorz :(?
SSJ3-Buu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SSJ3-Buu
Bump? anyone knows :(?
Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts

When Nintendo say it's HDTV/EDTV compatible do they actually mean that the game has support for progressive scan (480p).

50/60 is just the TVs refresh rate.

PAL is the color encoding system that is used on TVs in Europe. The standard refresh rate for PAL is 50Hz. The electricity network is running at 50Hz so having the refresh rate at 50Hz on the TV allows for less interference from other electronical devices.

But there is another version of PAL that often is called "PAL60". It has been made because it's easier to convert from NTSC (which is for example used in America). NTSC has a refresh rate of 60Hz because the electricity network in America is runnings at 60Hz (less interference).

However NTSC (720x480, 480i) has a lower resolution than PAL (720x576, 576i) so PAL gives a clearer picture. But PAL60 has the same resolution as NTSC (720x480) and the same refresh rate.

Some games are only made for PAL60, other games has support for both or just PAL. So you have a choise there.

PAL (50Hz) = Higher resolution (sharper picture), lower refreash rate (therefore lower fps, 25 instead of 30), slightly more flicker.

PAL60 (60Hz) = Lower resolution (blurrier picture), higher refresh rate (therefore higher fps, 30 instead of 25), slightly less flicker.

SSJ3-Buu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SSJ3-Buu

When Nintendo say it's HDTV/EDTV compatible do they actually mean that the game has support for progressive scan (480p).

PAL is the color encoding system that is used on TVs in Europe. The standard refresh rate for PAL is 50Hz. The electricity network is running at 50Hz so having the refresh rate at 50Hz on the TV allows for less interference from other electronical devices.

But there is another version of PAL that often is called "PAL60". It has been made because it's easier to convert from NTSC (which is for example used in America). NTSC has a refresh rate of 60Hz because the electricity network in America is runnings at 60Hz (less interference).

However NTSC (720x480, 480i) has a lower resolution than PAL (720x576, 576i) so PAL gives a clearer picture. But PAL60 has the same resolution as NTSC (720x480) and the same refresh rate.

Some games are only made for PAL60, other games has support for both or just PAL. So you have a choise there.

PAL (50Hz) = Higher resolution (sharper picture), lower refreash rate (therefore lower fps, 25 instead of 30), slightly more flicker.

PAL60 (60Hz) = Lower resolution (blurrier picture), higher refresh rate (therefore higher fps, 30 instead of 25), slightly less flicker.

Arnalion

Thanks!

But I knew most of this already,I was asking something else :).

You said when a Wii game says EDTV/HDTV mode it means it supports 480p right? but it doesn't mean it supports 50Hz/60Hz, because they are 2 different things, right?(I mean, like I said most Wii games got BOTH EDTV/HDTV mode and 50Hz/60Hz, so I guess they are not related to eachother).

and as for Wii games that don't have 50Hz/60Hz mode, whats the deal with them? its 50Hz in default?(because PAL is 50Hz in default), as it sayson Wii's display options thereare3 options:50Hz(480i),60Hz(576i),EDTV/HDTV(480p), So I have no idea what happends when on the Wii game package it says no "50hz/60hz mode"...

Do you have a PAL Wii and PAL Wii games? but thanks anyway, it cleared me some things I didn't knew!

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arnalion
[QUOTE="Arnalion"]

SSJ3-Buu

Thanks!

But I knew most of this already,I was asking something else :).

You said when a Wii game says EDTV/HDTV mode it means it supports 480p right? but it doesn't mean it supports 50Hz/60Hz, because they are 2 different things, right?(I mean, like I said most Wii games got BOTH EDTV/HDTV mode and 50Hz/60Hz, so I guess they are not related to eachother).

and as for Wii games that don't have 50Hz/60Hz mode, whats the deal with them? its 50Hz in default?(because PAL is 50Hz in default), as it sayson Wii's display options thereare3 options:50Hz(480i),60Hz(576i),EDTV/HDTV(480p), So I have no idea what happends when on the Wii game package it says no "50hz/60hz mode"...

Do you have a PAL Wii and PAL Wii games? but thanks anyway, it cleared me some things I didn't knew!

Yup, the refresh rate has nothing to do with EDTV/HDTV support. EDTV/HDTV = 480p.

Yes all PAL games run by default at 50Hz if there's nothing else saying otherwise, like 50/60Hz or only 60Hz.

But when a PAL game playes in 60Hz is "PAL60" used, and that's 480i or 480p (not 576i).

It says I'm Swedish in my sign. So yes I have a PAL system. ;)

SSJ3-Buu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SSJ3-Buu

Ok thanks! now I understood.

Now about the virtual console, I know there is an issue with speed with some games(that is very noticeable, like in street fighter 2 or sonic 1) and anannoying largeblack boarders issue,because of the games not being optimized to 50Hz... whats the difference between 50Hz optimized and not 50Hz optimized? because I know today most new games(not talking about VC now) are 60Hz or either 50Hz, but the 50Hz has really no difference in speed between 60Hz.

Do you think nintendo can make the VC games(mostly NES and mega drive games have this issue) run in 60Hz like Turbo-grapx 16 games or make it run in optimized 50Hz(I heard that optimized 50Hz means real 50Hz... and not "slow" 50Hz, but I am not sure).

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Arnalion

Hmm okay...

Of what I understand is a game that's optimized for 50Hz (in other words PAL) just running in a higher resolution. If a game isn't optimized for PAL is it running with a NTSC resolution (720x480) which is a lower res than PAL (720x576).

That's probably why you get the black boarders on an unoptimized game. It's a little like running a 4:3 image on a 16:9 (widescreen) TV. But I still think that the PAL (50Hz) games is slower since they run in 25 fps/s instead of 29.7 fps/s (NTSC). It should run about 16% slower with PAL. 25/29,7 = 0,84 | 1/0,84 = 0,16 = 16%.

This is just my conclusion so I'm not 100% sure.

You can read a little about it here and make your own conclusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Console

Sorry for the slow answer. ;)

ka6_jeram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ka6_jeram
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I also have a question regarding this. If I buy a game that only compatible with 50/60 Hz mode, could it still be played, if I set my wii tv option for edtv/hdtv?