Question about Animal Crossing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts
So, I bought a 3DS a couple of weeks ago, and I am looking for some games. While browsing different gaming websites, I noticed the Animal Crossing: New Leaf is getting a lot of attention. Truth be told, I have never played any of the Animal Crossing games, so I am a little hesitant as to whether or not its the right game for me. Is this game geared towards a multiplayer experience, or can I enjoy most of the game's content by playing single player? Are there any older Animal Crossing games from the DS platform that I should try first?
KiD_ReMiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KiD_ReMiX
Member since 2011 • 254 Posts

It can be played both ways. I think the game has always been geared towards a single player experience, but there are enough multiplayer features to keep a person happy. It is a slow life simulation game with no "end", so if you're the type who likes a conclusion this isn't the game for you. That said, you can pick up the previous DS version called Animal Crossing Wild World, but it's not really necessary. AC is one of those games where you can just pick up and play with no previous experience in the series.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Yeah it's mainly single player but multiplayer can be really fun too. It definitely enhances the experience, sharing everything you've accomplished with other people and seeing what other people have done. It's definitely not for everyone, there's no set storyline and you can do whatever you want basically. It's really a huge collect-a-thon that lasts a really long time. If you don't like collecting things you probably won't like it. You can collect different furniture series, fish, bugs, fossils, and lots of other things as well. The game plays in real time so when you play at night, it's nighttime in the game and certain shops might be closed. Also most bugs and fish are only available at certain times of the year so it takes a while to get everything. But aside from collecting, you can also work on earning money to expand your house, and (in New Leaf at least) add lots of town projects and decorations everywhere. You can also interact with the villagers and befriend them, which is always fun. Popular methods of earning money include fishing, bug catching, collecting fruit, selling old furniture and others. You can also customize patterns to put on your clothes and furniture, and you can use these patterns to create paths in your town. I... think that covers all the main points of the game but that's barely the tip of the iceberg haha. If you want you can try Wild World (for the DS) first but New Leaf will have way more features available.
stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 stizzal13
[QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"]Yeah it's mainly single player but multiplayer can be really fun too. It definitely enhances the experience, sharing everything you've accomplished with other people and seeing what other people have done. It's definitely not for everyone, there's no set storyline and you can do whatever you want basically. It's really a huge collect-a-thon that lasts a really long time. If you don't like collecting things you probably won't like it. You can collect different furniture series, fish, bugs, fossils, and lots of other things as well. The game plays in real time so when you play at night, it's nighttime in the game and certain shops might be closed. Also most bugs and fish are only available at certain times of the year so it takes a while to get everything. But aside from collecting, you can also work on earning money to expand your house, and (in New Leaf at least) add lots of town projects and decorations everywhere. You can also interact with the villagers and befriend them, which is always fun. Popular methods of earning money include fishing, bug catching, collecting fruit, selling old furniture and others. You can also customize patterns to put on your clothes and furniture, and you can use these patterns to create paths in your town. I... think that covers all the main points of the game but that's barely the tip of the iceberg haha. If you want you can try Wild World (for the DS) first but New Leaf will have way more features available.

So, it's kind of like a simulation game, expect more character control (as opposed to a more invisible hand approach)? I do not mind games being open-ended, and the idea that the game flows with real time is intriguing. Hmmm... I may just get New Leaf instead of one of the older versions. Thanks for the input!
NettoSaito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#5 NettoSaito
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts
The game is basically a virtual life/open sandbox styled game. You get your town, you go around doing odd jobs, you manage your town, you talk to towns people, buy stuff from the store, decorate your house, and so on. While the game is better when you actually visit other people, and hang out with friends and what not; you don't have to do this. The game came out on the Nintendo GameCube and was based on single player back then as well. The most you could do was put in another person's memory card, and visit their town alone. There was no real multiplayer, and back then you were also much more limited on what you could do in the game. The real reason Animal Crossing stood out so much back then is because it was a "living" world. The game continues to go on even when you are not playing it, and things are changing all the time. Each day you turned on the game you never know what to expect. New items are in the store, new events are going on in town, you may have new villagers moving in, some may be moving out, a special character may show up and ask you for some kind of special request, fruit and trees will grow, and so on. The world is always changing, and you are right at the center of it. It's really up to you if you want to get on and play that day or not.
stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stizzal13
[QUOTE="NettoSaito"]The game is basically a virtual life/open sandbox styled game. You get your town, you go around doing odd jobs, you manage your town, you talk to towns people, buy stuff from the store, decorate your house, and so on. While the game is better when you actually visit other people, and hang out with friends and what not; you don't have to do this. The game came out on the Nintendo GameCube and was based on single player back then as well. The most you could do was put in another person's memory card, and visit their town alone. There was no real multiplayer, and back then you were also much more limited on what you could do in the game. The real reason Animal Crossing stood out so much back then is because it was a "living" world. The game continues to go on even when you are not playing it, and things are changing all the time. Each day you turned on the game you never know what to expect. New items are in the store, new events are going on in town, you may have new villagers moving in, some may be moving out, a special character may show up and ask you for some kind of special request, fruit and trees will grow, and so on. The world is always changing, and you are right at the center of it. It's really up to you if you want to get on and play that day or not.

For me, that is definitely the most appealing feature. Do you actually build buildings in your town, or is that something that happens as villagers come and go?
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
[QUOTE="stizzal13"][QUOTE="NettoSaito"]The game is basically a virtual life/open sandbox styled game. You get your town, you go around doing odd jobs, you manage your town, you talk to towns people, buy stuff from the store, decorate your house, and so on. While the game is better when you actually visit other people, and hang out with friends and what not; you don't have to do this. The game came out on the Nintendo GameCube and was based on single player back then as well. The most you could do was put in another person's memory card, and visit their town alone. There was no real multiplayer, and back then you were also much more limited on what you could do in the game. The real reason Animal Crossing stood out so much back then is because it was a "living" world. The game continues to go on even when you are not playing it, and things are changing all the time. Each day you turned on the game you never know what to expect. New items are in the store, new events are going on in town, you may have new villagers moving in, some may be moving out, a special character may show up and ask you for some kind of special request, fruit and trees will grow, and so on. The world is always changing, and you are right at the center of it. It's really up to you if you want to get on and play that day or not.

For me, that is definitely the most appealing feature. Do you actually build buildings in your town, or is that something that happens as villagers come and go?

That happens as new people come and go. At least it did back on the previous DS version.