Possible 2D/3D hybrid donkey kong coming!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#1 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/01/08/donkey-kong-producer-teases-possible-2d3d-donkey-kong-game/

Very interesting. Though I definitely wouldn't want the 3D portions to be like 3D world, where you're restricted to digital movement, i've been wanting a 3D DK game forever.

Also, how many of you are getting Tropical freeze at launch?

#2 Posted by trugs26 (7456 posts) -

Despite what most people thought of the game, I enjoyed Donkey Kong 64.

I'd love another 3D Donkey Kong platformer.

Also, yes, I am getting TF at launch.

#3 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4954 posts) -

It's definitely possible considering how the majority of that interview was Kensuke Tanabe talking about Tropical Freeze's new 3D perspective segments and how they built both DK games on the Metroid Prime engine.

I would like something different from Retro Studios after Tropical Freeze, though. The Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns games have been spectacular, but the Wii U could use some diversity in its library. Maybe use their amazing game design to re-imagine another old IP or create a new IP.

I will not be buying TF at launch since I currently can't afford a Wii U, but I'll definitely buy it in the future.

#4 Posted by TTUalumni13 (839 posts) -

Tropical Freeze is one of the games I got a Wii u for, day one! Not too sure on a 3d dk, would need to see a lot more to be convinced

#5 Edited by TJDMHEM (1869 posts) -

this is going to be great.

#6 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4325 posts) -

# That would be great. I love the 2d/3d. If it's at all like 3D World that's awesome.

#7 Posted by Audacitron (971 posts) -

They should do this.

#8 Posted by JordanElek (18562 posts) -

I don't think that was interpreted correctly... It reads to me like he's saying that the DK series might have both 2D and 3D entries, like Mario has New Super Mario Bros. as the 2D games and also fully 3D games like Galaxy. So DK would alternate between Donkey Kong Country Returns and a different 3D series of games.

I wouldn't mind another team taking a shot at making a 3D Donkey Kong platformer. DK64 was Rare's weakest N64 game, in my opinion, but that doesn't mean it can't be done well.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#9 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

@JordanElek said:

I don't think that was interpreted correctly... It reads to me like he's saying that the DK series might have both 2D and 3D entries, like Mario has New Super Mario Bros. as the 2D games and also fully 3D games like Galaxy. So DK would alternate between Donkey Kong Country Returns and a different 3D series of games.

I wouldn't mind another team taking a shot at making a 3D Donkey Kong platformer. DK64 was Rare's weakest N64 game, in my opinion, but that doesn't mean it can't be done well.

I hope you're right. I want a pure 3D game.

#10 Edited by pierst179 (10803 posts) -

I absolutely love Donkey Kong 64.

Sure it was a collectathon, but it was an amazing one! I am all for a new 3-D DK game.

With Mario seemingly focusing on more linear platforming for now, DK could be Nintendo's character to explore wider environments.