Poll: should Sega merge with Nintendo?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

Face it, they just can't make that great of a game anymore. I can hardly even remember playing a good sonic game, the latest Nights stinked, do you see what i'm getting at? Nintendo has a reputation of making totally awesome 1st party games. Now imagine sonic the hedgehog, Aiai, and Nights in the hands of one of the greatest developers of all time! If Mario and Sonic can just completely forget their pasts, maybe they build a better future for both of them. All in favor?

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts
I posted a topic that sonic was dead a few months ago. I do mean it. Sonic's recent games have been absolutely and unforgivably loathsome titles. The second that sonic moved to 3D the novel thoughts and ideas that went into the sonic universe were cut out. Now, about a merger with Nintendo, sure I'll entertain the thought, but Sega is an independent company which offers it's products to all systems that will accept them, and going exclusively would make arguably better games, but for only 1 system. I don't know what Sega's future is, but I hope they can get off their butts and start making better games. Sonic circa 1995 is laughing at Sonic circa now.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
Nintendo should just buy the rights to Sonic. Sega devs = no talent. Maybe Nintendo could design a good Sonic platform.
suljinnWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 suljinnWii
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts
There definitely aren't a lot of reasons for them not to. Plus they already have a healthy history between them.
newkid69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 newkid69
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
:DSega still has a great catalog of games!!! IF Nintendo were to either buy or be partners with Sega, hopefully Sega can still make the same kind of games like they used to. :) Sega and Nintendo would be perfect together like Kibbles and Bits. I want to see more games from Sega like Virtua Fighter and Shenmue to the wii. Nintendo needs more games to help in the war between Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo fan for life.8) Sega would be an important ally to Nintendo and they will turn their fortune around if they were to be with Nintendo.:P
Itsthetruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Itsthetruth
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

Most of Sega's teams have really lost the trick to make good games, it's impressive considering they're a japanese developer.

The last great game i played by Sega was F-Zero at the GameCube, and maybe Super Monkey Ball (i liked the dificulty of the main puzzle game), their main franchises are being left to mediocreness and loosing admirers every episode.

So i don't think Sega is a good company for a merge right now (if the games aren't doing that good probably economicly they aren't doing great either). I'd rather have nintendo merge with Capcom (Boo Mario+ Resident Evil =scary lol) :P

krimla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 krimla
Member since 2002 • 264 Posts

Most of Sega's teams have really lost the trick to make good games, it's impressive considering they're a japanese developer.

Itsthetruth

The Japanese don't have the ability to make mistakes, they only have the ability to make grade A quality products.............:roll:

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
What they need to do is re-invent Sonic. Speed? Ok, it's been done 1000x and has been done that great so recently. Maybe a game less emphasis on speed and on platforming would be good. BTW, was the Secret Rings any good? I missed that, and heard it was actually pretty good.
Jaydubeww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaydubeww
Member since 2007 • 232 Posts
I think they should, but isnt Sega in a huge amount of debt? and for the people who mentioned Shenmue...Sega sold the rights to Microsoft a while ago..
Avatar image for deactivated-59603ff9b9423
deactivated-59603ff9b9423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59603ff9b9423
Member since 2007 • 2413 Posts
Hasn't Sega already been bought out by a company called 'Sammy'?
sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

You would have thought there were merged win they made Mario & Sonic ans Smash Bros Brawl has Sonic.

If they merged that would be awesome.

yowvapa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yowvapa
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts
If Nintendo is to purchase Sega, it needs Sammy's permission. Do not assume that a company buying another will make the latter's improve.
chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 chazer127
Member since 2006 • 572 Posts
*Points them all in the direction of sonic rush adventure* Sega has dumped Sammy now so nintendo can buy them
03mareed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 03mareed
Member since 2005 • 698 Posts
Not like they pretty much havent
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
No.
Swifty_Magee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Swifty_Magee
Member since 2003 • 1130 Posts

Sure, why not? The world would finally get a good Sonic game that's not on a handheld, and Wii owners would have the Virtua Fighter series all to themselves...which would kinda suck in some cases (the graphics would take a serious hit, and besides the excellent fighting system, that's what the game is known for). We might even get some new Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star, and Shining Force games, which is enough to excite me! I'd also dig a new Shinobi, Shenmue, and Streets of Rage.

So yeah, if they merged with Nintendo and the companies started making new entries into past Sega franchises, I think a merger would be an awesome idea, as long as Nintendo teams would work on the games from now on...and not fill them with family friendly themes and mini-games.

mojothebaboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mojothebaboon
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts

Sure, why not? The world would finally get a good Sonic game that's not on a handheld, and Wii owners would have the Virtua Fighter series all to themselves...which would kinda suck in some cases (the graphics would take a serious hit, and besides the excellent fighting system, that's what the game is known for). We might even get some new Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star, and Shining Force games, which is enough to excite me! I'd also dig a new Shinobi, Shenmue, and Streets of Rage.

So yeah, if they merged with Nintendo and the companies started making new entries into past Sega franchises, I think a merger would be an awesome idea, as long as Nintendo teams would work on the games from now on...and not fill them with family friendly themes and mini-games.

Swifty_Magee

It's true that having old sega franchise to the Wii would be fabulous, but what good game has sega published recently ? Sure, they still have Virtua fighter but a fighter is all about the "flash". Question is why would they merge with a company that seem to have lost its touch. Personally I think sega pretty much died after the failure of the dreamcast.

presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts
I don't really see what's in it for Nintendo. Yeah, they'd get Sonic, but they have enough great characters that they don't need to waste time trying to restore the image of a character that Sega has destroyed. Sounds like a lot of investment for a questionable payoff. So, I vote no.
pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pikma
Member since 2004 • 483 Posts
NO.

Absolutely
Sega franchises are too bad...
I really don't want that hedgehog as a Nintendo mascot
WolfWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 WolfWatch
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts

Two answers:

Yes: Nintendo could have all the Sonic characters

No: Sega lacks success alone and Nintendo doesn't need it's source.

Just keep it a 3rd party and we are good.

SonicBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21 SonicBalla
Member since 2006 • 2610 Posts

Nintendo should just buy the rights to Sonic. Sega devs = no talent. Maybe Nintendo could design a good Sonic platform.umcommon

Although I don't see whats so bad about recent Sonic games I agree with you

I loved SATSR,SA2:B,SDX,and SR

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
Honestly all the good sales for Sega have come from Nintendo this gen. If you look at their other games they just are not selling well.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cyber-

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Nintendo should just buy the rights to Sonic. Sega devs = no talent. Maybe Nintendo could design a good Sonic platform.SonicBalla

I dont know what happened but the SOnic Team has lost their magic ever. They refuse to give Sonic the freedom he needs to be in a real speedy 3d platformer.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Honestly all the good sales for Sega have come from Nintendo this gen. If you look at their other games they just are not selling well.Cyber-

Last gen as well. I mean the GameCube was the home of Sonic games since they sold better there.

As for a merge, I don't think it's possible. However, I could see Nintendo buying them.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts
[QUOTE="SonicBalla"]

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Nintendo should just buy the rights to Sonic. Sega devs = no talent. Maybe Nintendo could design a good Sonic platform.Cyber-

I dont know what happened but the SOnic Team has lost their magic ever. They refuse to give Sonic the freedom he needs to be in a real speedy 3d platformer.

Maybe it's because Yuji Naka planned a long time ago to quit Sega and make his own studio (PROBE).

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Bump.
lilarchie232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lilarchie232
Member since 2007 • 223 Posts

Nintendo should just buy the rights to Sonic. Sega devs = no talent. Maybe Nintendo could design a good Sonic platform.umcommon

I agree I could see nintendo buying rights to sonic or mabye nights, rather than merge completely.

toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Yes. Maybe Sonic would actually be good then...
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts
yes
waelzleb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 waelzleb
Member since 2008 • 468 Posts
i think nintendo should by sonic then m,ake a big game like SSBB
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Hasn't Sega already been bought out by a company called 'Sammy'? PS3Compass

aye they have. however last i heard, sammy is hemmoraging money. so a sega sale wouldnt be complty impossible.

anywho no for 2 reasons.

1) a merger is a bad idea as it would mean that high end sega execs would gain power at ninty. a complete buyout would be better.

2) sega owns the creative assembly, the best strategy developer in the world. it would be a terrible tragedy to see the total war series go to pot. the series is one of those that actually uses the advancement of technology to better the gameplay. i dont mean to bash the wii here (i love it to bits) but, frankly, the console just wouldnt be able to do the series any justice at all. it just doesent have the grunt to pull it off (no console does). high powered PCs are essential for it. the chances of nintendo pubishing anything on the PC are slim to nill.

monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts
These two companies have been more at eachothers throats than any I've ever seen, remember the old campaigns they used to run, "can't do it on an nintendo" and "you won't see this on a sega"
appart from that, nintendo doesn't like dead wood, which is exactly what sega is right now, they would be paying for IP's that were once great, but are very very dated.
they let rare go for the same reason, I can't see them wanting to take sega
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cyber-

[QUOTE="PS3Compass"]Hasn't Sega already been bought out by a company called 'Sammy'? osan0

aye they have. however last i heard, sammy is hemmoraging money. so a sega sale wouldnt be complty impossible.

anywho no for 2 reasons.

1) a merger is a bad idea as it would mean that high end sega execs would gain power at ninty. a complete buyout would be better.

2) sega owns the creative assembly, the best strategy developer in the world. it would be a terrible tragedy to see the total war series go to pot. the series is one of those that actually uses the advancement of technology to better the gameplay. i dont mean to bash the wii here (i love it to bits) but, frankly, the console just wouldnt be able to do the series any justice at all. it just doesent have the grunt to pull it off (no console does). high powered PCs are essential for it. the chances of nintendo pubishing anything on the PC are slim to nill.

they would probabaly retain that PC status if nintendo bought Sega.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cyber-

These two companies have been more at eachothers throats than any I've ever seen, remember the old campaigns they used to run, "can't do it on an nintendo" and "you won't see this on a sega"
appart from that, nintendo doesn't like dead wood, which is exactly what sega is right now, they would be paying for IP's that were once great, but are very very dated.
they let rare go for the same reason, I can't see them wanting to take segamonty_4256

If Nintendo bought Sega it would be a huge asset and would probabaly push SOnic back into glory because he would not be nerf by an imcompetent team. The best console Sonic game in the past 5 years is a 7.0 game. Sonic used to be a AAA status series.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
They could be an even better company if they merge, so, why not?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Why would sega MERGE with nintendo? if anything was to happen, nintendo would probably rather BUY SEGA than merge.
makaveli_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 makaveli_89
Member since 2006 • 3415 Posts

Why would sega MERGE with nintendo? if anything was to happen, nintendo would probably rather BUY SEGA than merge.Haziqonfire

yeyee

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts
If Sega merged with Nintendo and more garbage from Sega was released, it would ruin Nintendo's reputation of an excellent video game developer. And what would Sega do about making games on other platforms?
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cyber-

If Sega merged with Nintendo and more garbage from Sega was released, it would ruin Nintendo's reputation of an excellent video game developer. And what would Sega do about making games on other platforms?bowserjr123

no because Nintnedo would refine all these scattered and ruined series.

Matt12695741

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 Matt12695741
Member since 2005 • 45 Posts
Sega's standards don't seem to be as high as Nintendo's. So if they joined all of Nintendo's games would lower in quality.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Yes. Maybe Sonic would actually be good then...toadster101
Yeah sure. Let's ignore Secret Rings and Sonic Rush.
icarus212001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 icarus212001
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
and become another dreamcast!? sorry dude, no thanks
Lisandro_v22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Lisandro_v22
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
u all that say that sega lost it's touch the rality is that sonic devs never had any talent at all i loved sonic the hedgehog 3 it's one of my favorite games but really but if u compare it to any 2d sonic game they are all the same they haven't change a single thing and i played sonic adventure 3 for the gba and u only had to press right the whole game to finish it. maybe sonic was made by pure coincidence
Akel777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#45 Akel777
Member since 2005 • 999 Posts
Keep them separate. I dont think any good would come out of it.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cyber-
If Sega became a dev for Nintendo great things would come including better sonic games with more than really cool cutscenes.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

I voted no. I don't want Sega's suckiness infecting Nintendo.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
I don't want Sega in my Nintendo. They made their bed, now they have to move it to the poor house and sleep in it :) Dragging down Ninty's good name is what they'd be doing... :)
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts
I love sega. I mean back in the day I was a sega fan till the the collapse of the dreamcast. But, no. For some reason I don;t know what it is ,but they cant get their act together and make a decent game Nintendo doesn;t need them dragging them down. I played that piece of garbage sonic and the secret rings. Nights too (allthough Nights wasn't that bad). Point is I don;t care how much I love sega, I just don't want to see nintendo's quality suffer cause of them.
EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts

I will definaly like to see it, the sonic games will be alot better, also nintendo will get more exclusives.

Who would of know that we will be haveing this duscussion 15 years ago.