Overheating Wii's/WiiConnect24? (56k Warning)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yaceka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yaceka
Member since 2006 • 251 Posts

Okay, after reading a bunch of threads and news articles on overheating Wiis, I'm getting a little worried. I've heard of gamespot users Wiis dying/getting graphical glitches after using WiiConnect24. I have gathered a bunch of pages/pictures/videos, what do you think? WiiConnect24 + no fan = DOOM, defective heatsink, or just a bunch of lies spread to scare people?

Threads/News Articles:

Wii Fail (I'd recommend you read this one, if you are only going to read one)

Wii Overheating Graphical Errors (with pics)

Is WiiConnect24 Breaking Your Nintendo Wii?

Is WiiConnect24 Damaging Your System?

Black Lines

Picture Problems

Wii Overheating Issues - An Update

Wii Overheating Issues - An Update (Forums)

Videos:

Black and White Dots

Artifacts on Raving Rabbids

VC: Super Mario 64:

Wii Sports:

Mario Strikers Charged:

If this is true, what do you think I (and many other Wii owners) should do? Leave WiiConnect24 on, or leave it off?

But I have heard that because of the recent update, the fan goes on periodically. If that is true, ignore this thread after choosing the 4th option on the poll.

Nickman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nickman71
Member since 2003 • 1002 Posts
Wait till Nintendo releases an update that turns the fan on if it gets too hot. Until then, leave it off.
han_186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 han_186
Member since 2006 • 948 Posts
let this thread be sticky!
yaceka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 yaceka

Wait till Nintendo releases an update that turns the fan on if it gets too hot. Until then, leave it off.Nickman71

I hope they do soon, because this COULD become a big problem (read first thread in the threads/articles section), as some of their new userbase (casuals and nongamers) wouldn't be aware of the overheating.

tobenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 tobenator
Member since 2005 • 3777 Posts

This happened to mine, so I sent it in just yesterday. It should be back in my hands in about a week, which is good because it'll be just in time for MP3.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Seriosuly people enough with being scared from rumors. Here it is in a nutshell

In some of the launch consoles there's a small percent that didn't have the heatsink connected correctly to the board inside the Wii and because of this the heat wasn't traveling away from the board and those consoles overheated and needed to be replaced. People want to say it's because of the Wiiconnect being on but that's not true, even after regular use those Wii's were eventuially going to overheat. A fan doesn't help because think of it this way...

A computer has a processor and a heat sink with a fan on top of that heatsink. Now if you don't put some sort of paste between the processor and the heat sink the heat will never be fully taken away from the processor and no matter how many case fans you use your computer will still end up overheating.

It's the same thing for the Wii. In the defective consoles they're not able to get the heat away from the board because of the defective heatsink. Adding one of those cooler stations with the fan wont stop your Wii from working because it'll happen eventually. It'll just waste your money on an add on that you really didn't need.

The thing to remember is that this is a problem with defecitve units and not a design problem. There's no problem with the Wii, myself and others have had theirs from launch with no problems and when I called Nintendo about it they don't get many calls on it at all. If your Wii does overheat just contact Nintendo for a new one and that wont have the defect. If you're worried about the chances that you have a defect it'll show up from normal play and leaving the Wiiconnect on over time. Even if you don't leave on Wiiconnect it's going to show up eventually, it just make take a little longer because the board isn't in use all the time. So don't worry that you may have a defective console and not know it until your 12 month warranty is up. It will present itself well before then.

This is geting so blown out of proportion it's crazy. This WILL NOT be a problem for almost all users

yaceka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yaceka

This happened to mine, so I sent it in just yesterday. It should be back in my hands in about a week, which is good because it'll be just in time for MP3.

tobenator

That must have sucked. :(

Btw, I'm so excited for metroid prime 3 (Preorder FTW!)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy

Also the recent update didn't change anything with the fan.

This thread is nothing but rumors

ramseyT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ramseyT
Member since 2004 • 183 Posts
Well Im sure some Wii's have overheated and I would say its kinda of dumb to pass overheating Wii's as "rumors" . I have left my Wii on the Wiiconect24 since I got in Janurary and it hasnt overheated. I think the overheating Wii's are very rare cases so tis probably safe to let your Wii connect for 24 hours at a time. And if it overheats nintendo will just fix anyway .
steizgr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 steizgr8
Member since 2007 • 559 Posts

I'm still a little worried, despite Jasonguy's reassurances. I can't help it.

I've never had any visual problems with my Wii, but recently, I've been getting nasty noises from it every now and again when there's a disk in it. I don't leave it on Connect24 anynore, but when I did, I have to admit, it did get so warm on one side it worried me.

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Yeah anybody who knows anything about gpus and heatsinks would have realized what the issue was. It happens to pc graphic cards from time to time. Manufactoring errors not design errors.

Nintendo isn't Microsoft who used cheap componets, cheap labor, faulty designs to save money. Nintendo failure rate for wii under 1 percent. XBox 360 failure rate 30%. 3 million xbox 360s are defective.

ramseyT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ramseyT
Member since 2004 • 183 Posts

I've never had any visual problems with my Wii, but recently, I've been getting nasty noises from it every now and again when there's a disk in it. I don't leave it on Connect24 anynore, but when I did, I have to admit, it did get so warm on one side it worried me.

steizgr8

That really shouldnt worry you, my Wii is generally warm enough that I could warm up some hamburger buns on it but I havnt had any problems.

Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts

My Wii gets hot easy when it's on connect 24 but I un-plug it every night to be safe

steizgr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 steizgr8
[QUOTE="steizgr8"]

ramseyT

That really shouldnt worry you, my Wii is generally warm enough that I could warm up some hamburger buns on it but I havnt had any problems.

What about the noises though?

If you look it up on youtube, you'll get the exact same noise my Wii will make from time to time.

And it ain't pretty

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
STANDBY CAUSES OVER HEAT NOT WC24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

My Wii gets hot easy when it's on connect 24 but I un-plug it every night to be safe

nintendo_fan675

Why? If you're worried about WC24, just hold down the power button for about 5 seconds. This puts the console into full standby (WC24 off).

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 meimnobody
FYI don't put a game console on a speaker or subwoofer or even near them. The electromagnetic interferance as well as magnetic fields will fubar a game console after a while.
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 meimnobody
FYI don't put a game console on a speaker or subwoofer or even near them. The electromagnetic interferance as well as magnetic fields will fubar a game console after a while.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

Wait till Nintendo releases an update that turns the fan on if it gets too hot. Until then, leave it off.Nickman71

how is the wii goin to know its to hot?

bonifa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bonifa
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

What he said.
I don't leave WiiConnect24 on that often, and if I do, it's not more than about 6 hours.

JonDohJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JonDohJersey
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts

Thats what Iam doing

Nice thread

yaceka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 yaceka

[QUOTE="Nickman71"]Wait till Nintendo releases an update that turns the fan on if it gets too hot. Until then, leave it off.JonDohJersey

Thats what Iam doing

Nice thread

Thanks.

Btw, nice sig. I wish I had photoshop :cry:.

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts
The Wii works fine with WC24 on. If you experience any problems, it's your specific Wii. This is not a problem for Wiis in general.
vogelhut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vogelhut
Member since 2005 • 667 Posts
FOR GOD SAKES PEOPLE... there are 2 possible resons why a Wii would overheat. 1. You have a defective Wii. 2. The Wii isn't in an open space. DON'T, i repeat DON'T put your Wii in an enclosed area or right beside your T.V. OPEN SPACES
Hurwitz66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hurwitz66
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I agree. I keep WiiConnect 24 on but standby connection off. There is really no benefit to keeping it connected all of the time.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy

STANDBY CAUSES OVER HEAT NOT WC24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Tjeremiah1988

Wrong, a defective heatsink on some of the earlier models causes the Wii to overheat.

This is a NON ISSUE

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jaysonguy

Oh for the love of....

Did you not read my post? It doesn't matter if you turn the fan on 24-7 that's not going to fix the issue because it's a defective heatsink. It's not a problem with airflow.

No matter how much air you pump through the Wii it'll still overheat if it's defective because of the heatsink being defective. And it's not even defective in that many units.

Swifty_Magee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Swifty_Magee
Member since 2003 • 1130 Posts

My vote says you should leave it off, and I'm basing that on the fact that about 2 weeks ago I noticed my Wii suffering the graphic glitch and I sent it in to Nintendo to get repaired. I wouldn't have minded that much, except my friend just lent me his copy of RE4. Anyone who has played the Wii edition of that game knows how addictive it is.

Luckily I just got an email today saying that Nintendo has gotten my defective Wii and has begun repairing it. Should be getting it back sometime next week, hopefully fixed. The problem, as user Jaysonguy said, seems to be with the heatsink; leaving your WiiConnect 24 on constantly while not turning on the Wii for a few weeks will start it up. So if, like myself, the last game you played for a while was LOZ:TP and you're suddenly playing RE4, there's a good chance you have the glitch.

To see video of it in action, check out THIS YOUTUBE LINK.

killerdude9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 killerdude9
Member since 2005 • 1054 Posts

Well for me, i would say dont leave the WC24 on. But thats just me. I have had a bad experiance with the wii connect. My first wii had a defect that caused the 11203 (or whatever number itwas)error. My second wii overheatedand no longer turns on.I know its not Wii's in general that do this, but rather my specific system, but i am not going to leave the connect on for my 3rd wii.

Then again i know people who have had their Wii's since launch, and had them hooked online for several months, and they have not overheated. Really you should just use the connect, if it overheats you'll end up with a brand new Wii.

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meimnobody

My vote says you should leave it off, and I'm basing that on the fact that about 2 weeks ago I noticed my Wii suffering the graphic glitch and I sent it in to Nintendo to get repaired. I wouldn't have minded that much, except my friend just lent me his copy of RE4. Anyone who has played the Wii edition of that game knows how addictive it is.

Luckily I just got an email today saying that Nintendo has gotten my defective Wii and has begun repairing it. Should be getting it back sometime next week, hopefully fixed. The problem, as user Jaysonguy said, seems to be with the heatsink; leaving your WiiConnect 24 on constantly while not turning on the Wii for a few weeks will start it up. So if, like myself, the last game you played for a while was LOZ:TP and you're suddenly playing RE4, there's a good chance you have the glitch.

Swifty_Magee

Did you not read the effing posts? You have a defective heatsink. Doesn't matter if wiiconnect24 is on or not. Just being used kills the gpu since the heatsink is defective. Do you even know what a heatsink is? It's not the effing fan the fan doesn't protect the system from overheating. The fan is worthless if the heatsink is defective. Do you comprehend?

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 meimnobody

Well for me, i would say dont leave the WC24 on. But thats just me. I have had a bad experiance with the wii connect. My first wii had a defect that caused the 11203 (or whatever number itwas)error. My second wii overheatedand no longer turns on.I know its not Wii's in general that do this, but rather my specific system, but i am not going to leave the connect on for my 3rd wii.

Then again i know people who have had their Wii's since launch, and had them hooked online for several months, and they have not overheated. Really you should just use the connect, if it overheats you'll end up with a brand new Wii.

killerdude9

Your first wii was one of the few that got bricked due to an early firmware update. It was very rare. The xbox 360 bricking due to updates are still 99% higher then the number of wiis that got bricked due to an update.

Seriously I swear there are people going to be blaming wiiconnect24 for their overheated wiis when in reality they had the system next to a radiator or room heater.

BondJames007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BondJames007
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts

thats been happening to me to whin i play tennis on wii sports

bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 bofe1234
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
My Wii is perfectly fine. If yours heats up "a lot" then you can turn it off. There really isnt a need for wiiconnect 24. Besides the times we rarely get messages from nintendo it doesnt do anything. Any info can be obtained online so there isnt a reason to leaveit on. But that is only if your wii overheats which is weird in any case and shouldnt be happening.
Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts

I severely doubt that wiiconnect24 and Wii OS in standby mode are stressful apps on the Wii, the GPU would be clocked down completely aswell.

If you were going to get overheating damage it would be during games. So i would agree with some that its just faulty heatsink installations and not a wider design problem like the 360.The Wii follows the very solid gamecube cooling solution so i have no fears leaving it on for days at a time.

Jayesler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jayesler12
Member since 2006 • 1690 Posts
let this thread be sticky!han_186
what does sticky mean? i never understood topics that were "sticky"
yaceka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 yaceka

[QUOTE="han_186"]let this thread be sticky!Jayesler12
what does sticky mean? i never understood topics that were "sticky"

It means the thread always stays on the top of the page, no matter what.

ex) The Wii Recommendation Thread

cyprus646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 cyprus646
Member since 2004 • 4070 Posts
MY wiiconnect 24 has been on since I bought the console and I havent had any problems whatsoever I bought it in january BTW.
specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts

TC, you realize that N made the Wii to hae WiiConnect 24 on at all times, thus the term WiiConnect24!!!!

Its a piece of electronic and will have issues with a small percentage of them, thats a no brainer. But to make a thread about something that in no way compares to the problems with say the xbox360 is just silly and sad.

I cant but keep coming back to the wiiconnect24 issue, since it infers that you leave it on 24hours a day. Why woudl N make it if they thought that ALL wiis woudl have a problem with heat? Just doesnt make sence. All we're doing here is focusing on the small percentage of issues here and blowing them up to unreasonable proportions, all b/c its the internet and that's what you all do here.

Thsi thread is dumb. Here is a pice of advice....Call Nintendo instead of causing a ruckus here and get their OFFICIAL opinion.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but it looks so cool glowing blue *runs to turn off wii*
Swifty_Magee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Swifty_Magee
Member since 2003 • 1130 Posts
[QUOTE="Swifty_Magee"]

meimnobody

Did you not read the effing posts? You have a defective heatsink. Doesn't matter if wiiconnect24 is on or not. Just being used kills the gpu since the heatsink is defective. Do you even know what a heatsink is? It's not the effing fan the fan doesn't protect the system from overheating. The fan is worthless if the heatsink is defective. Do you comprehend?

Did you actually READ my "effing" post. I said in the second paragraph, "The problem, as user Jaysonguy said, seems to be with the heatsink", dum-dum. I know that the heatsink is the problem, but leaving Connect 24 on seems to aggrevate the graphical glitch into appearing quicker than it would normally. How about instead of insulting me, you read what I actually type out before opening that flapping meat-trap you call a mouth?! Huh? Do you comprehend? Is that a cool idea, or do you want me to use some fake swear words to get my point across?

God...a guy can't tell his story or give his two cents without some idiot with a keyboard trying to get some digital self-esteem. And now he's got me sinking to HIS level...alright, it's over...whatever.

Anyway, to say something helpful to people experiencing this problem: there is a Wii Stand Fan that EBGames.com is selling. The user reviews have said that it has cooled down their Wiis considerably, and seeing one of the problems MAY BE proper ventilation, a good fan would help prevent the GPU overheating on your Wii.

-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Dionysus-
Member since 2006 • 1276 Posts
I would just leave it off. It has no real value.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#42 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Do what you want, but I keep my Wii on sleep mode simply because I don't care enough to turn it completly off.

Do it if you're paranoid. I don't care.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

I've left my Wii on WiiConnect24 saince I got the console at launch. Now with that said, I haven't had any problem.

To be frank, the Wii shouldn't have much trouble overheating. It gets warm yes, but I've left my Wii in standby mode for over two months without playing. (Because nothing was out at the time.) So there's nothing to worry about, these things can happen. Technology is unpredictable, but Nintendo has great customer service, so I don't worry.

pr3dator951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pr3dator951
Member since 2005 • 200 Posts

i havent had any problems with my wii and its had wiiconnect24 on all the time in standby mode...............though im starting to worry about it, cause of this forum.......

i dont kno.....

maybe this'll help: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/settingsWiiConnect24.jsp

steizgr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 steizgr8

Do what you want, but I keep my Wii on sleep mode simply because I don't care enough to turn it completly off.

Do it if you're paranoid. I don't care.

vashkey

Good for you!

You go girl! :lol:

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

I've left my Wii on WiiConnect24 saince I got the console at launch. Now with that said, I haven't had any problem.

To be frank, the Wii shouldn't have much trouble overheating. It gets warm yes, but I've left my Wii in standby mode for over two months without playing. (Because nothing was out at the time.) So there's nothing to worry about, these things can happen. Technology is unpredictable, but Nintendo has great customer service, so I don't worry.

yoshi_64

Dude, I bet your system was burning hot. 2 months with the wifi chip on and no fan cooling it off. I don't suggest to anyone to ever do that. Nintendo Customer service themselves say to turn on your console everyday when wiiconnect24 is on so the fans cool down the console and wifi chip.

Yunask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Yunask
Member since 2004 • 826 Posts

its from the defective wiis'

ive had mine since launch, and its been on wii connect 24 since then. and ive had no such problems.

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 meimnobody

You want the graphical glitch to appear faster. So you can get the unit serviced warranty. The gpu doesn't overheat if the heatsink is functional. A functional heatsink is a passive system that works when the system is off or standby as well as on. The fan is not the heatsink. The fan does diddly squat to protect the circuit boards. You could have liquid cooling and a faulty heatsink will still cause a pc to fail because guess what the heatsink is what protects the system.

Systems overheat due to the following improper ventilation, hot environment, dusty environment, faulty heatsink, putting too much demand so the heatsink gets overwhemled i.e. overclocking. A properly designed system doesn't overheat at all unless external elements add heat.

The wii doesn't overheat on wiiconnect 24 unless you have a defective heatsink!! Piss poor ventilation!!! hot room!!! Do not get a fan they aren't needed.