Outlined 3D models, wut?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XxOskarxXTBXx51
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 XxOskarxXTBXx51
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

Why, why must they be present on the 3DS version, they make the graphics look less appealing.

-EDIT-

Yeah I'm talking about Smash 4

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Are you talking about Super Smash Bros? If so, you should really say that. I'm guessing most people will have no idea what you're talking about.

If you are indeed talking about SSB, it's because they wanted to make the characters, which are quite small on the 3DS screen, have a more vivid appearance.  They used the cell shading style I'd assume because of the limited resources. In order to keep the pacing of the game + high frame rate, they'd need to make some sacrifices. 

Besides, I think it has a nice unique edge. I hope they also push the gameplay in a unique way too. Something the 3DS (and DS before it) were good at - taking risks with franchises, breathing new life into them.

If you aren't talking about SSB, then I apologise.  

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Yeah on Super Smash Bros. for 3DS they have the outline on the models because they want people to see all the characters when it zooms out.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i actually rather like it. gave the game a very cartoony vibe that i wish the console series had followed. granted, they've improved from brawl (f*cking jeans textures). and sakurai's explained it. the 3DS screen is small, so the outlines make it easier to tell the characters from the background and special effects.
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XxOskarxXTBXx51
That's bull, and depth would make it even easier to see the characters.
Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Sounds like someone needs the Waaaambulance. Your the only person I have heard complain about it. I personally am neutral on the issue. It doesnt bother me. Dont buy it then. Get the Wii U version.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I actually like the black border on the characters!
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

The outlines are there to improve visual usability. This is exactly the kind of change that seems to be a product of user testing and feedback. The 3DSXL screen is small compared to a TV and the original 3DS screen is smaller. It'll be awfully difficult to know what's going on when you're fighting against three other people in a stage as massive as Hyrule Castle or New Pork City. Outlines to distinguish the character from everything else makes total sense for the 3DS version, especially for a fighting game as chaotic as Smash Bros, and I doubt people will be complaining once they finally play it instead of judging it from videos.

That's bull, and depth would make it even easier to see the characters.XxOskarxXTBXx51
Not everyone who owns a 3DS likes the 3D, can see the 3D (eye condition), or play with 3D on all the time. 3D is only an option.

If the graphics bother you too much, buy the Wii U version. Glorious HD and no outlines.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BrunoBRS
That's bull, and depth would make it even easier to see the characters.XxOskarxXTBXx51
they wouldn't have done it if it hadn't been an issue during playtesting, so no, it's not bull. the wii u version is outline-free.
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XxOskarxXTBXx51

If you would really have trouble seeing the characters, I suggest you get optical treatment as soon as possible.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Except people can turn the 3D off. I know I do most of the time.

If you would really have trouble seeing the characters, I suggest you get optical treatment as soon as possible.

XxOskarxXTBXx51

No one has a problem actually seeing the characters, but it's incredibly important during hectic gameplay like Smash to be able to know exactly where the edges of your character are. On small screens this is aided greatly by outlines.

Also, you seem to be the only one who really has a problem with this style. I suggest you either get used to it or skip Smash on the 3DS because it's not going anywhere.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

XxOskarxXTBXx51

You talk as if you played the game. Have you?

If the developers decided that it'll help players see the characters more easily, then what we can we do? They know the game better than us. Either accept the outlines or go with the Wii U version.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BrunoBRS

XxOskarxXTBXx51

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/gnAyTNUOkvc/0.jpg

this is how the game will look on your 3DS. yeah, maybe i'll need an optical help alright, a f*cking magnifying glass.

XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XxOskarxXTBXx51
Late reply, but that is a low quality image.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS
Late reply, but that is a low quality image.XxOskarxXTBXx51
that's how brawl would look like if you played it on a screen that size. the camera zoom out, and characters become hard to see. hence the new art style.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
[QUOTE="XxOskarxXTBXx51"]Late reply, but that is a low quality image.BrunoBRS
that's how brawl would look like if you played it on a screen that size. the camera zoom out, and characters become hard to see. hence the new art style.

Reminds me of playing PSABR on my Vita. At times it gets hard to know whats going on especially 4 player online and the Vita has a pretty big and high res screen.
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XxOskarxXTBXx51
[QUOTE="XxOskarxXTBXx51"]Late reply, but that is a low quality image.BrunoBRS

Actually, it wouldn't be blurry, it would be high quality (for the screen size).
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
Actually, I'm a little disappointed with the graphics for the 3DS. I'm mad that the Wii U looks so much better. Is Nintendo saying that the 3DS can't handle the 3D graphics, but yet the Wii U can... That's swell Nintendo, very swell <_<.
Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

The Wii U is more powerful then the 3DS. No handheld is as powerful as a home console.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
So the NES is more powerful then the 3DS? :P
ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZachMasta
Member since 2010 • 579 Posts
troll thread..
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 XxOskarxXTBXx51
Nope.
MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts

I keep seeing people throw around the term cel-shading for this, and that's not what it is. They literally just threw an outline over the characters to make them pop. Other than that the game has normal textures and lighting.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#24 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I actually really liked the models of the 3DS version.