Only 1 VC game this week. Grrrr....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 dmil1991
Member since 2007 • 1016 Posts

I know this discussion's been around for awhile, but I'm getting fed up with Nintendo's skimpy recent VC releases. I've never heard of "Double Dragon," and yet it's released as a single title. Personally, I think a solo title would be something big and impressive, like Donkey Kong 64 or something. Maybe I'm just ignorant of old games, but I can recognize the ones that need to be on the VC. Hopefully this is just Nintendo waiting for WiiWare to be put up, but that's no excuse. Sorry about the rant, but I needed to vent somewhere.

EDIT: See below posts about how I will regret this statement and why I should do my homework before making arguments.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

I've never heard of "Double Dragon,"dmil1991

:lol::lol::lol:

So cute.

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dmil1991

[QUOTE="dmil1991"] I've never heard of "Double Dragon,"bob_newman

So cute.

I'm only 17, cut me some slack. (And perhaps you could fill me in while you're at it.) Thanks.

EDIT: So I search it on Wikipedia, and my reaction was: "Another beat-em-up?" I won't be getting this one, and my point remains the same.

roll450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 roll450
Member since 2006 • 4113 Posts
double dragon thats like the 2nd best fighter scroller for me.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="dmil1991"] I've never heard of "Double Dragon,"dmil1991

So cute.

I'm only 17, cut me some slack. (And perhaps you could fill me in while you're at it.) Thanks.

By saying that you only made it worse

If it didn't have a 1 in front of that 7 I could see but man, 17? And you don't know what it is?

That's just.....wow

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bob_newman

Hey, even if you were 15 you should know about Double Dragon. It was a cla-ssic arcade game that got ported to the NES and the Sega Master System, and it has a pretty big following. It's even referenced in "The Wizard" a number of times.

It is probably the only release this week because it will sell.

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dmil1991
[QUOTE="dmil1991"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="dmil1991"] I've never heard of "Double Dragon,"Jaysonguy

So cute.

If it didn't have a 1 in front of that 7 I could see but man, 17? And you don't know what it is?

That's just.....wow

Well now I do. I read your forum topic and I'm caught up.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

That's just.....wow

Jaysonguy

Wow...

I'm really fed up with this. The guy didn't know about a game. So what. You guys are making such a big deal out of something that matters nothing in life, at all... I hate to break it to you, but some people didn't play games all their lives. I know it's a new concept and a scary one at that, but you're going to need to understand.

I'm 17 too btw and I also never heard of the game. Then again, I never got into gaming until I was about 7-8, and at that time my first system was a N64. My friend had a SNES, but that was it. I played SMB once at a neighbors house and was fascinated by it, but I had no idea what it was. Hell, I didn't even know who Mario was until I played SM64. I played SMW with my friend at his house, but I never knew the name of the game, we always just called it Yoshi riders as that was the main thing I liked to do in the game, ride Yoshi.

Seriously, I'm tired of it, cut the TC and me some slack, when we were younger we were not as exposed to Video games as you all were, and even if we where I doubt that we knew what we were playing.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Seriously, I'm tired of it, cut the TC and me some slack,

Niff_T

So pretty much he says "why was this no name game released instead of something good?" and you're good with that.

Bob and I say "Hey just MAYBE you should learn a bit more about the games of the past" (in our delightful way of course) and we're the bad guys?

Ok

buckincrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 buckincrazy
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts

cut the kid some slack

he was born in '91

so that means he prolly was a playstion/n64 era child lol

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bob_newman
[QUOTE="Niff_T"]

Jaysonguy

So pretty much he says "why was this no name game released instead of something good?" and you're good with that.

Bob and I say "Hey just MAYBE you should learn a bit more about the games of the past" (in our delightful way of course) and we're the bad guys?

Ok

Nah, he's right. We were being jerks about it.

But the game deserves better than "I've never heard of it, therefore it must be bad".

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dmil1991
[QUOTE="Niff_T"]

Jaysonguy

Ok

I don't feel like you guys are bad at all. Because of this topic, I now know about this game that I missed in my VG play history. I'm not being sarcastic at all. I'm not necessarily going to buy the game, but I didn't know what I was talking about when I started the post. And now that the gaps are filled in, I would like to discuss the topic on even (or close to it) ground.

Now: my topic is about the fact that there was only one game released this week as opposed to a greater quantity in previous releases (Double Dragon simply happened to be the solo game this week, which is why I took out my frustration against it.). I hope we can have a greater amount of good releases (like two Double Dragons instead of only one) in the future. Hope that clears things up, and no harm done.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Niff_T
[QUOTE="Niff_T"]

Jaysonguy

Ok

The kid already looked it up! (he didn't do much, but again, at least he looked it up...)

Even still, the kid was young when the game was popular, so for him, yeah, it's just some no name game, and I really can't blame him for wanting something else that he's heard of. I'm sorry you can't see it that way.

Yeah ok... You're not the bad guys... But if I have to be the bad guy, then I call Al Pacino. (or Doc Ock. he works too)

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dmil1991
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Niff_T"]

Niff_T

Ok

The kid already looked it up! (he didn't do much, but again, at least he looked it up...)

Even still, the kid was young when the game was popular, so for him, yeah, it's just some no name game, and I really can't blame him for wanting something else that he's heard of. I'm sorry you can't see it that way.

Yeah ok... You're not the bad guys... But if I have to be the bad guy, then I call Al Pacino. (or Doc Ock. he works too)

Note: the kid is the same age as you. ;)

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Niff_T

dmil1991

I know, It's a bad habit of mine.

I hope the man is not offended. :P

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

To TC:

Never heard of Double Dragon? ...I'm too young to feel old. Or so I thought.:P

I'm the first one to not download most games made available on the VC, but to assume that a game is crap because it was before your time is absolute ignorance. You should learn more about the games that laid the groundwork for the ones you were raised on.

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dmil1991

To TC:

I'm the first one to not download most games made available on the VC, but to assume that a game is crap because it was before your time is absolute ignorance. You should learn more about the games that laid the groundwork for the ones you were raised on.

chefstubbies

Oh, but I have though. See above posts.

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dmil1991
[QUOTE="dmil1991"]

Niff_T

I know, It's a bad habit of mine.

I hope the man is not offended. :P

It's cool.

Sorry about double-posting.

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts
[QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

To TC:

dmil1991

I've read every post in this thread. I wrote in response to your first post where you wrote "I've never heard of "Double Dragon".

Master_Saibot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Master_Saibot
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

Hey, even if you were 15 you should know about Double Dragon. It was a cla-ssic arcade game that got ported to the NES and the Sega Master System, and it has a pretty big following. It's even referenced in "The Wizard" a number of times.

bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="dmil1991"] I've never heard of "Double Dragon,"dmil1991

So cute.

EDIT: So I search it on Wikipedia, and my reaction was: "Another beat-em-up?" I won't be getting this one, and my point remains the same.

I'm only 15 (since the 27th) and even I know what Double Dragon is.

Spektre41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Spektre41
Member since 2007 • 3217 Posts
Double Dragon?!

Time to score 50,000 points on the first screen!
Deominator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Deominator
Member since 2003 • 852 Posts

I know this discussion's been around for awhile, but I'm getting fed up with Nintendo's skimpy recent VC releases. I've never heard of "Double Dragon," and yet it's released as a single title. Personally, I think a solo title would be something big and impressive, like Donkey Kong 64 or something. Maybe I'm just ignorant of old games, but I can recognize the ones that need to be on the VC. Hopefully this is just Nintendo waiting for WiiWare to be put up, but that's no excuse. Sorry about the rant, but I needed to vent somewhere.

EDIT: See below posts about how I will regret this statement and why I should do my homework before making arguments.

dmil1991

I know about 800 people already told you this, but here we go. Double Dragon was the ultimate 2D co-op side scrolling fighter and led the way for the whole genre that peaked in the early to mid 1990's. It is a classic in every sense of the word and is great in the arcade form or on the NES/Virtual Console. Buy it and you should have a good time. It's very challenging compared to the difficulty of modern games in 3D adventure-fighter genre.

Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
[QUOTE="dmil1991"][QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

To TC:

chefstubbies

I've read every post in this thread. I wrote in response to your first post where you wrote "I've never heard of "Double Dragon".

Ive noticed that aswell :lol:
The_Owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Owner
Member since 2003 • 727 Posts
DD is only considered classic because it was the first beat-em-up everybody played. It did have a few cool moves, but Final Fight was a much better game.
rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts

There's no need to unleash your experience on the guy.

I've never heard of it either, but then again the VC doesn't really affect me at all.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
DD is one of the most timelss clasics of all time. It IS the beat em up genre.
BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts
I'm pretty sure NOA is waiting for a Wii game drought to release more quality games quicker. So, blame Mario Kart Wii :P
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
[QUOTE="dmil1991"]

Deominator

I know about 800 people already told you this, but here we go. Double Dragon was the ultimate 2D co-op side scrolling fighter and led the way for the whole genre that peaked in the early to mid 1990's. It is a classic in every sense of the word and is great in the arcade form or on the NES/Virtual Console. Buy it and you should have a good time. It's very challenging compared to the difficulty of modern games in 3D adventure-fighter genre.

Actually the NES version(/VC version) doesn't support co-op play. Only single player. Sega Master System does though...I wish the had released it on that.

PikaPikaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 PikaPikaboo
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

I'm 14 and i know what Double Dragon is ^_^

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
I always thought the NES version of Double Dragon was sub-par. No co-op and a significant drop in quality (sound and graphics) compared to the coin-op. The only reason to get the VC version is nostalgia. There are a lot of beat 'em ups that are not only better, but hold up much better over time compared to Double Dragon - TMNT: Turtles in Time, Battle Toads, River City Ransom, Final Fight, Streets of Rage.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Yeah. Double Dragon NES was my first game. Before then my family tried forcing me to play Super Mario and Duck Hunt. I took one go at them and laughed, saying that if that's what video games are, then what's the point of playing. Then my bro got DD, and was HORRIBLE at it. I kept watching him play, telling him that "The chicks got dynamite! She's gonna throw" Only to see Jimmy fall down the black hole in firey incompetence.

He handed me the controller, and I got to level 3 in one continue. Then met the midboss... the one that comes out of the wall. I was not prepared, it took me another 3 months to figure out how to not die.

Then i got a Sega, because he got Ghostbusters and called it the greatest game ever....I'm so glad my family stopped making purchases of video games in 1999. Only he knows what happened to my copy of the Grinch..

BTW, Im not buying this game, there's a better version out. boo Nintendo...w/e its not worth griping anymore.

LProjektST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LProjektST
Member since 2005 • 1055 Posts
Agreed, VC is getting weak. Also, Jasonguy is usually rude and annoying, just ignore him.
Avatar image for orangeturtle472
OrangeTurtle472

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 OrangeTurtle472
Member since 2007 • 2636 Posts

bob_newman

well I'm 14 so I'm safe!! :P

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts

Double Dragon is going back a bit farther than I'd like to go. For it's time, it was great but at this time, I'd have a hard time enjoying it as I don't feel it's aged well. As one other person mentioned, Final Fight is better. For me, the SNES is as far back as I care to go...

There are so many VC games I want to see come out so I do agree that only having one game released is disappointing. When you factor in how many consoles and games they could tap into... there's really no reason for them not to be able to release more.