Ocarina of Time vs. Twilight Princess

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CADMBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CADMBFan
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts
I eagerly awaited Twilight Princess like any good Zelda fan...longing to relive the excitement I experienced when I first played through OoT so long ago.  Majora's Mask had given me a taste of that....Wind Waker not so much, but TP looked to finally bring back that classic style and expansive world that I loved.

Well, after having played through TP, and then having gone back and played through OoT for a second time, I am still convinced that OoT is the superior game.  TP came close, but the level of difficulty just wasn't there...especially toward the end of the game.  I flew through the last few dungeons and the final boss battle without losing a single life!  Playing OoT for the second time, I died twice on the final boss, and I had already beaten this game before!  Also..maybe it's because the TP world is just too expansive, but much of it felt empty to me....there was no reason to go exploring much of Hyrule Field, because it was largely barren, while when I played OoT I was constantly seeing heart pieces I didn't know how to reach or rocks I couldn't move.  The latter quality is similar to Wind Waker's large and mostly empty ocean...a larger world is only good if the density of objects and puzzles remains the same, IMHO.

Anyway...the point of this post was to see what other fans thought, and also to encourage everyone to go back and play through OoT again.  I'd also love to hear from someone who played TP without having played OoT, and then d/loaded and played OoT on the VC (if such a person exists).  If you haven't played OoT, go get a copy now and play this game!
ArkansasBoy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#3 ArkansasBoy91
Member since 2006 • 2430 Posts
yeah i have oot for n64. ihave tpfor wii. imo TP is better..Allot more option. Better Story, Allot more fun. yes the bosses aint that difficult in tp but so what it is still a great game
Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts
Zelda games are always easy. I died once in Wind Waker and that was because i accidentally lost the grip of the controller lol.
Reptile711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#5 Reptile711
Member since 2003 • 3191 Posts
Zelda games are always easy. I died once in Wind Waker and that was because i accidentally lost the grip of the controller lol.Arnalion
Zelda isn't really easy. You just don't die a lot. I have never died on Windwaker or OOT or Twilight. That was probably the easiest one. It's just challenging on some puzzles and get frustrating for some parts of the game. imo.
reidwii1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 reidwii1
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts
i dissagree that zelda games are lways easy...exept tp s bosses......i played ocarina of time. i was little though and didnt beat it. after i get over the initial thrill of the wii im getting it on VC
amtentori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 amtentori
Member since 2003 • 1911 Posts
3d zeldas got easy. try playing through the nes version without dying and ill be impressed. oot seemed hard cuz it was first time 3d.. after that majoras mask got extremely easy bosses, wind waker extremely easy everything, and tp probably slighltly harder than windwaker (still too easy)
Libralesso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Libralesso
Member since 2006 • 576 Posts
i have to disagree with the wide open spaces with nothign in them there was always a poe, a bug, or a heart piece, or atleast rupees somewhere, however the damn prizes were bull, 200 ruppees for collecting 60 poes wtf was that about that took alot of work i want a good item, thats also why i liked OoT you get to have the huge undestructable sword i loved that sword but ye i also like OoT better cuz TP was a little bit to meloncholy OoT was a little bit more cheerful
Kenshin112345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kenshin112345
Member since 2005 • 298 Posts
I have both. TP is very easy.... OoT is wack.....It's hard....
collintitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 collintitus
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
oot is way harder than tp, but tp has a better story
TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#11 TheJuggla17
Member since 2003 • 16307 Posts

Ocarina of Time > Twilight Princess

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I thought each zelda game was getting easier and easier.  I mean at leat in WW i got hit, lost hearts used fairies.  I didn't die in WW at all sicne 2 fairies always kept me going forever.  In TP i never died since most bad guys only took off 1/4 heart piece.  Thats 4 hits per heart, and with 10 hearts, I'd have to get hit 40 times to die.  Plus the land is full of hearts to fill up with.  Oot was harder, but still barron in terms of big open area with very little bad guys filling in the space.  I could run through most of all three games on the horses or boat and never get hit.

I hope in the next one, it is more challenging.

tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Rehash sucked next to OOT in my opinion. It was well made, and I appreciate the effort made by the team, but damn, that game had no soul.
LastLaugh90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LastLaugh90
Member since 2005 • 518 Posts
there were too many elements in TP imo. like in windwaker u had to sail ur boat and in MM and OOT u had to ride epona. U could go thru like the whjole game in TP without epona shes useless. i wish they woulda left the whole wolf thing out. i like having to ride epona places rather than warping newhere i want. and for some reason i just think TP lacked the happy-go-lucky feeling and charm the other zeldas had. i think MM was a darker story but it still gave u charm. i duno in TP, i just didnt feel connected to the story like i was in OoT and MM and WW and even LTTP
paperpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 paperpower3
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I agree that Oot is harder, and I liked it a bit better because you could get different swords and stuff. But TP is still a great game.
tom95b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tom95b
Member since 2008 • 4999 Posts

I was very young when I played Ocarina of Time but I've fond memories of it. But since I remember Twilight Princess better, I think Twilight Princess is better than Ocarina of Time.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Ocarina of Time was amazing for it's time. I think Twilight Princess is better if you compare them both now; not how great Ocarina of Time was back then.

paperpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 paperpower3
Yeah...
paperpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 paperpower3
But Midna isn't nearly as annoying as Navi. That's one area TP wins in.
bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts

welll if u look on gamespot TP got something like an 8.9 if i remember correctly. and OoT N64 get a perfect 10. it is way better. best game eva

PainGivingLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PainGivingLink
Member since 2006 • 1316 Posts
Ocarina of Time = Superior game of all. Twilight Princess = still an amazing game. 'Nuff said.
KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KingBowser91
Member since 2007 • 2638 Posts

Lol IMO TP's dungeons are harder (even when comparing to the MQ version).

But thats because I remember everything from OOT :P

Difficulty Wise(Hardest to easiest):

MM>TP>OOT>WW

100% completion:

WW>MM>OOT>TP

I have played trough OOT and WW atleast 5 times.

MM and TP only once but I am playing trough TP again (I just got the Master Sword)

DeeDeeDee-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 DeeDeeDee-er
Member since 2006 • 1067 Posts

Anyone who thinks Twilight Princess is the better game is really being convinced by the graphics. The core gameplay was basically the same, minus the wolf parts which I didn't hate but I could have done without. Sure Ocarina of Time had nostalgia going for it with lots of people, but I was too young to actually play an open world game and have success. I played it after Twilight Princess, so if anything, the "been there, done that" feeling was going AGAINST it. Still I enjoyed Ocarina of Time far more, and found to be an all in all superior game. It's just absolute gaming bliss, something I doubt we will ever top again.

Ya every 3-D Zelda game is amazing, and Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess might be extremely close to being as good as Ocarina of Time, but the fact is, they can't top it. No game since it has been as good, and unless they come up with some magical new mind blowing idea (which is what I'm hoping for out of the next new Zelda), no one will ever top Ocarina of Time. In fact the only people, in my opinion, who can make a game that good is the Zelda team, so if a better game is to be made, they'll have to top themselves. Ya I have my other favorites that all rival Ocarina of Time and make me wanna declare it the new best game ever (most recently Little King's Story, and when I played it, Majora's Mask), but when all is said and done I don't think I'll say that these current favorites are as good as Ocarina of Time.

Don't get me wrong, I want nothing more than the next Legend of Zelda to top Ocarina of Time. It is possible, and if anyone can do it, it's the Zelda team. I just seriously doubt it will. However if the spirit girl thing that seems to be within the Master Sword in the concept art is a creative new idea, they have a shot at it. If anything can make me expect a great new game, it's this artwork.

It can't come soon enough.

DeeDeeDee-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DeeDeeDee-er

MM>TP>OOT>WW

100% completion:

WW>MM>OOT>TP

MM and TP only once but I am playing trough TP again (I just got the Master Sword)

KingBowser91

Sooooooooo... wanna answer the question? Which is better? Because, not to be rude, I highly doubt anyone here cares about your 100% completions and playing the game over again.

HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

I eagerly awaited Twilight Princess like any good Zelda fan...longing to relive the excitement I experienced when I first played through OoT so long ago. Majora's Mask had given me a taste of that....Wind Waker not so much, but TP looked to finally bring back that classic style and expansive world that I loved.

Well, after having played through TP, and then having gone back and played through OoT for a second time, I am still convinced that OoT is the superior game. TP came close, but the level of difficulty just wasn't there...especially toward the end of the game. I flew through the last few dungeons and the final boss battle without losing a single life! Playing OoT for the second time, I died twice on the final boss, and I had already beaten this game before! Also..maybe it's because the TP world is just too expansive, but much of it felt empty to me....there was no reason to go exploring much of Hyrule Field, because it was largely barren, while when I played OoT I was constantly seeing heart pieces I didn't know how to reach or rocks I couldn't move. The latter quality is similar to Wind Waker's large and mostly empty ocean...a larger world is only good if the density of objects and puzzles remains the same, IMHO.

Anyway...the point of this post was to see what other fans thought, and also to encourage everyone to go back and play through OoT again. I'd also love to hear from someone who played TP without having played OoT, and then d/loaded and played OoT on the VC (if such a person exists). If you haven't played OoT, go get a copy now and play this game!
CADMBFan

I actually meet those qualifications, TC. I'd have to say that I like TP more, just because of the fact that OoT seems a bit dated for me. If I had actually gamed back when OoT just came out, I'd probably like OoT more, since it had a bigger impact on the gaming community than TP. For me, though, TP is more memorable.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts
I played TP before i played Ocarina. OC is a better game but I still enjoyed TP more.
KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KingBowser91
Member since 2007 • 2638 Posts
[QUOTE="DeeDeeDee-er"]

[QUOTE="KingBowser91"]

MM>TP>OOT>WW

100% completion:

WW>MM>OOT>TP

Sooooooooo... wanna answer the question? Which is better? Because, not to be rude, I highly doubt anyone here cares about your 100% completions and playing the game over again.

IMO they are both great and all 4 (excluding PH) 3-D Zelda games are equal.
IOwnYou2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IOwnYou2
Member since 2009 • 58 Posts

[QUOTE="bobdood99"]

welll if u look on gamespot TP got something like an 8.9 if i remember correctly. and OoT N64 get a perfect 10. it is way better. best game eva

[/QUOTE

people really need to get out of this state of mind. Just because gamespot ranks it higher doesn't mean it is a better game. People need to use their own opinions sometimes.

Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
OOT was the most original, and in that way, the best. TP was the best if you don't take into consideration originality.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Twilight Princess just has better graphics, Ocarina of Time is the true classic.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I think Twilight Princess, just because its newer. Superior sound and graphics, but the gameplay is a close tie.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

MM was WAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! harder than OOT. OOT was much harder than WW and WW was harder than TP.

TP did have the best story though, but it felt a bit empty at times. now that the the Wii has more ram we can most likely see more things on screen this time around.

How easy meter (hehe)

MM>>>>>>>OOT>WW>>TP

DeeDeeDee-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DeeDeeDee-er

http://wet.bethsoft.com?fbid=MsrFDYre2e6

chech it out!!! this is going to be a good game!!!

nonamestochoose
This is the Nintendo Wii board and a thread about Zelda. Now kindly fukc off.
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

Whoa why was this bumped...? I like Oot better but TP was great

drkipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 drkipper
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts
I have indeed played both Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time with OoT being second. Coming from someone who has played both games but has not played OoT before, I think Twilight Princess is the superior game. Yes, OoT was very good for it's time (and is still quite a good game by today's standards :P), and people do get nostalgic about it, but for people who have not played either game before and are looking for a good 3D Zelda experience, Twilight Princess is the way to go. When it came out, Ocarina of Time was a gaming revolution. It had great graphics and sound, it was full of puzzles and fun, and the whole game felt more like a living world than a game world. Twilight Princess is basically just like Ocarina of Time, except everything is enhanced. The world in Twilight Princess is huge, yet it doesn't take too long to travel across; you could go Hyrule sightseeing in an hour or so. Hyrule is varied across its different sections, with some areas being dense with people and others only having the occasional entrepreneur (like the cannon man). Ocarina of Time had a long story; Twilight Princess's is longer. Both Links have annoying advice-givers, but Midna is slightly (only slightly) less annoying than Navi. Ocarina of Time had great graphics for its time; Twilight Princess has great graphics for more recent time. Ocarina of Time had lots of puzzles and mini-quests; Twilight Princess has just as many, if not more. Combat was simple but deep in Oot; combat is simple, but has many more added features in TP. I'm making this overly long and convoluted, so I'm just going to wrap this up by saying: it it's your first time with a 3D Zelda experience, go for Twilight Princess.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
How is this 2 year old-topic?
alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
I actually prefer Twilight Princess. For me only thing OoT has on it is the music.
redfield_137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 redfield_137
Member since 2005 • 2269 Posts

OoT. Putting my bias aside, it does genuinely surprise me that people are saying that TP had a better story.

Hyruleninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hyruleninja
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I played Twilight Princess, and that game got me into the Zelda series. Since then, I played Skyward Sword and Wind waker, but about a month ago, I decided to purchase Ocarina of Time for the 3Ds. It was a great game! The boss battles ranged from really easy to really hard, and I couldn't put it down. To me, the games are equal, because Twilight Princess will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm all for the huge expansive world. (Way better than the Skyward Sword world, you can't go anywhere without returning to the sky).