Ocarina of Time kinda bad

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hihater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hihater
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I very vaguely remember playing it as a kid, but i dont think played it much. Played majoras mask more as kid. Tried downloading on project64 few years ago, but graphics looked too dated, was quickly turned off by the 2d insides and cardboard backgrounds. So because given graphics update figured id play 3DS version, basically playing for first time. It kinda sucks...Really doesnt hold up..Despite graphics overhaul, game still doesnt look nice (really empty and sparse, fixed-view areas still bad), gameplay is boring. Dunno why people say this is one of greatest games of all time. Its very dated, havent really enjoyed my time with it. Majoras Mask holds up just fine, even graphically. by FAR the better game. F ocarina...
TairuSzoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 TairuSzoola
Member since 2012 • 83 Posts

The real thing that makes it stand is an amazing story. Characters are very fun and it innovated so many ways of gameplay. It is a great game that stands very well with lots of games today. The question I have is what are you trying to relate it to? The 3DS version was also very amazing looking, the world was more well done and it just popped. I do agree it is one of the best games ever made.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#3 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Hi hater. Ha! Geddit? :P It was actually a pretty great game; and the remake was also well done. I don't get what you don't like about it, but each to their own.
hihater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hihater
im not trying to relate it to anything. i just dont think its a very good game
TairuSzoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TairuSzoola

im not trying to relate it to anything. i just dont think its a very good gamehihater

Well I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. You said it was dated so it suggested you were relating to games now a days so I was wondering what in particular.

videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts

I very vaguely remember playing it as a kid, but i dont think played it much. Played majoras mask more as kid. Tried downloading on project64 few years ago, but graphics looked too dated, was quickly turned off by the 2d insides and cardboard backgrounds. So because given graphics update figured id play 3DS version, basically playing for first time. It kinda sucks...Really doesnt hold up..Despite graphics overhaul, game still doesnt look nice (really empty and sparse, fixed-view areas still bad), gameplay is boring. Dunno why people say this is one of greatest games of all time. Its very dated, havent really enjoyed my time with it. Majoras Mask holds up just fine, even graphically. by FAR the better game. F ocarina...hihater
I'm sorry but I will never ever agree with you In a million years:evil:

hihater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hihater
well when i say dated I guess im relating it to other Zelda games. Like I said, Majoras Mask still holds up well, and it severely pales in comparison to that.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Say what? Your crazy.
Hoznary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hoznary
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
Majoras mask > OOT The rush of having to complete things in time ^^
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I very vaguely remember playing it as a kid, but i dont think played it much. Played majoras mask more as kid. Tried downloading on project64 few years ago, but graphics looked too dated, was quickly turned off by the 2d insides and cardboard backgrounds. So because given graphics update figured id play 3DS version, basically playing for first time. It kinda sucks...Really doesnt hold up..Despite graphics overhaul, game still doesnt look nice (really empty and sparse, fixed-view areas still bad), gameplay is boring. Dunno why people say this is one of greatest games of all time. Its very dated, havent really enjoyed my time with it. Majoras Mask holds up just fine, even graphically. by FAR the better game. F ocarina...hihater

Few things about your post...

1. Blog it

2. I agree, Majora's Mask is better in every way, greatest game of all time

3. Ocarina is still a great game and actually does hold up well, despite the somewhat dated mechanics. People do overrated it but it is still among the gaming elite.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

A 14 year old game has gameplay that feels dated?

this+is+the+quot+you+don+t+say+quot+face

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
The climax of Ocarina is epic. I honestly didn't see it coming at the time. Majora's Mask is the better game though.
TairuSzoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TairuSzoola

See I love Ocarina of Time ! I just want to try Skyward Sword though because from what I heard it is the best in the series right now lol.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Minishdriveby

See I love Ocarina of Time ! I just want to try Skyward Sword though because from what I heard it is the best in the series right now lol.

TairuSzoola
Motion+ Controls took the precedence for Skyward Sword. The entire game revolves around it which makes for a very linearized game, but it's a really good zelda none the less.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

did you beat the game?

your opinion is worrth nothing unless you beat it.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
I think OoT is by far the worst game in the Zelda series. The overworld is boring, the characters are boring, the dungeons are boring, the story is boring, the towns are...well you get the idea, it's just a very boring game, especially by Zelda standards. The only reason it gets any of the praise it does is because it was the first 3D game in the series, just like so many people overpraise Mario 64 and Final Fantasy VII, though unlike OoT, Mario64 and FFVII are both good, fun games, just not to the extent there hyped.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KBFloYd

I think OoT is by far the worst game in the Zelda series. The overworld is boring, the characters are boring, the dungeons are boring, the story is boring, the towns are...well you get the idea, it's just a very boring game, especially by Zelda standards. The only reason it gets any of the praise it does is because it was the first 3D game in the series, just like so many people overpraise Mario 64 and Final Fantasy VII, though unlike OoT, Mario64 and FFVII are both good, fun games, just not to the extent there hyped.spike6958

did you play it when it came out... i asure you ..youd be too amazed to think it was boring.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

[QUOTE="spike6958"]I think OoT is by far the worst game in the Zelda series. The overworld is boring, the characters are boring, the dungeons are boring, the story is boring, the towns are...well you get the idea, it's just a very boring game, especially by Zelda standards. The only reason it gets any of the praise it does is because it was the first 3D game in the series, just like so many people overpraise Mario 64 and Final Fantasy VII, though unlike OoT, Mario64 and FFVII are both good, fun games, just not to the extent there hyped.KBFloYd

did you play it when it came out... i asure you ..youd be too amazed to think it was boring.

This. Even though I disagree with the original quoted post I guess I can kind of see why someone would think that playing it for the first time right now. But playing it when it first came out EVERYTHING about it was amazing, and it wasn't just because it was the first 3D game in the series.
tiopuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tiopuit
Member since 2010 • 358 Posts

NOPE!

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Judging a game 15 years later. Saying its overrated and the one he had as a kid is better. Seems legit.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I have a different experience with it than most, since I never played Ocarina of Time when it first released. Ocarina of Time 3D was my first time playing the game in totality.

I agree it definitely doesn't hold up, but only when compared to newer titles in the series. This is only due to the fact that it's old and at this point, modern Zelda titles have improved on various aspects of Ocarina. That being said, Ocarina of Time isn't by any means a bad game. It's was highly influential in the design of future 3D Zelda titles and many games across a wide variety of genres. The updated visuals from the 3D remake were really well done, it makes the game feel less dated on the visual front. Mechanics wise, it's slightly outdated, but still fairly good.

I can definitely appreciate the game for what it did to define a generation of titles, but playing it now as compared to 14 years ago or whatever is totally different.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="spike6958"]I think OoT is by far the worst game in the Zelda series. The overworld is boring, the characters are boring, the dungeons are boring, the story is boring, the towns are...well you get the idea, it's just a very boring game, especially by Zelda standards. The only reason it gets any of the praise it does is because it was the first 3D game in the series, just like so many people overpraise Mario 64 and Final Fantasy VII, though unlike OoT, Mario64 and FFVII are both good, fun games, just not to the extent there hyped.Kaze_no_Mirai

This. Even though I disagree with the original quoted post I guess I can kind of see why someone would think that playing it for the first time right now. But playing it when it first came out EVERYTHING about it was amazing, and it wasn't just because it was the first 3D game in the series.

Nope, I played and completed it when it first released, but having already completed A Link to the Past before that, everything was very underwhelming, the only thing it had going for it over ALttP was the 3D environments, but Mario64 did that much better. Wind Waker on the other hand, that game captured me from the very beginning, no Zelda game has ever topped that for me, though ALttP is VERY close second.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I love the N64 version, but I do not like the 3DS one at all. The gameplay feels different. I played it side by side and there is a noticable difference in terms of Links sword range.. its ridiculous, you swing it in the 3DS version randomly and you destroy everything on the screen. Just spam swinging it and you win. In the n64 version you needed more precision. and just a lot of other weird quarks and changes just really bothered me. Even the better graphics, Idk, I don't really like the look of it, I know it sounds insane but I like the look of the old one.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

In 1998 it was the best game ever, now it isn't but it still is awesome to play it because of nostalgia.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

A 14 year old game has gameplay that feels dated?

this+is+the+quot+you+don+t+say+quot+face

Minishdriveby

I'm not surprised it's dated. I am surprised that here we are, over a decade into the twenty-first century and Nintendo think they can polish it and hype it up like it's something worth getting exited about and paying top dollar for in this day and age.

I was also surprised that, for much of the launch year of the 3DS, (when they were marketing it as a 'next-gen' handheld), and the best they had to offer were warmed-over N64 games.

It's probably not a bad game, when you put it in context, all things considered. But if you're going to build it up as one of the major first year releases with a hollywood celebrity endorsement, graphical enhancement, and quote all kinds of critical acclaim, people are going to expect something comparable to the best gaming experiences available today. If you're going to boot up the hype machine, you can't expect people to make allowances.

TairuSzoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TairuSzoola

[QUOTE="TairuSzoola"]The real thing that makes it stand is an amazing story.Fragasnap
I'm not going to argue anything else, but "amazing story"? Is that a joke? [spoiler] You play as a forest kid who doesn't have a fairy, the fairy comes to you and tells you the great deku tree has summoned you. Tutorial and pointless sword\shield hunt later, you talk to the tree about the creation of the universe, the triforce, and the man who seeks them for destructive purposes. You leave the the forest, go meet Zelda who has nothing useful to say before going to two other dungeons that have no notable plot development. Then you go to the Temple of Time where you open the door to the spirit realm, thereby granting Gannondorf access to the triforce you were trying to protect in the first place. You draw the master sword, but because you are not old enough to wield it, you are transported seven years into the future where Gannondorf has taken over Hyrule (which would never have happened if you didn't do anything). You meet Shiek who does just about nothing for you. Next bit of plot development is when you speak to the Deku Sprout who tells Link that he is Hylian rather than Kokiri. Finally you learn that when Gannondorf tried to get the triforce, it split into three pieces because his intentions were unpure (which is a pretty stupid reason). He has the triforce of power, Zelda wisdom, and Link courage. Because of this, he needs to capture all three of you to get the three pieces of the triforce so he kidnaps Zelda immediately in a pink crystal (and not Link because he doesn't actually want all three pieces?). He lets Link travel through the completely arbitrary dungeon of his castle before a final showdown where he is defeated and imprisoned in the sacred realm due to him being indestructible because of the triforce of power. So in total: The day was saved if you turned off the game before opening the Temple of Time because then Gannondorf would never get the Triforce of power and would die like any other mortal man. [/spoiler] Yay!

I feel all you did was try to make it seem not amazing. To a lot of players think that is an amazing story. To say the dungeons you go to had not notable plot device is wrong. You went to pick up a spirtual stone which you also end up meeting characters before you go in, that you later find out are sages. The stuff you said I do not know how you could not say it is an amazing storyline. The best part is how it leads to three other timelines. The split timeline is made from this amazing Zelda game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i wouldn't call it bad, but it hasn't aged well. i think it's one of the weaker zelda games.
kewljose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kewljose
Member since 2010 • 29 Posts

I played A Link to the Past when I was much younger, and thought it was amazing, but probably did not appreciate it at the time for what it was. I didn't play Ocarina as a teen, cause I was living life. That said I picked it up for my 3ds and have been playing it and loving it!! I recently completed Uncharted 2 and I must say I have had a better time with Ocarina, so I say it stands the test of time. Now I haven't played the subsequent games, though I have them, so I can't speak to where it stands in the Zelda canon.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KBFloYd

By the by, I played this when I was young and it was fresh and new. I didn't finish it. When I was young, I couldn't really define games that I didn't like, but I wouldn't finish the ones that I didn't like. I didn't finish The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time when I was little. I finished it now, and my opinion is that it was ultimately held back by the menagerie of items to use but strictly limited use of those items and a complete lack of difficulty. A game feels like nothing but a chore if it doesn't provide challenge (and this time when I played it, and blind I will add, I had 3 hearts and no fairies). The only things that took time were the maze dungeons wherein there was no challenge figuring out what to do-- simply where you were supposed to go.Fragasnap

do you like or love other zelda games? maybe zelda isn't your thing.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#31 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I think the port overall was on the lazy side (none of the environments were really updated) but the game holds up surprisingly well. It does hand-hold to some extent, but compare to the mindblowingly insulting Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time strikes the right balance between telling you what to do next (three or four times) and telling you once or hinting at it. Even the first four or five hours of Twilight Princess are horribly tutorialized and treat the player as if they're a first grader who has been held back a few times, has little to no grasp of language, problem solving, or even the slightest bit of mental capacity. Ocarina of Time feels old but I don't think in a bad way. I also don't think it should have been sold at $40, but I bought it because I wanted a 3DS game that didn't suck so I suppose I'm part of the problem. And I enjoyed it - despite playing it partway a good half dozen times without wanting to finish it, I was actually compelled to play it to completion this time.
pantyraid2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pantyraid2113
Member since 2010 • 1976 Posts

OoT: people either love it, or they're trolling...

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts
Judging a game 15 years later. Saying its overrated and the one he had as a kid is better. Seems legit. senses_fail_06
speaking of legit im surprised nobody brought up his username of hihater and 4 post count
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Judging a game 15 years later. Saying its overrated and the one he had as a kid is better. Seems legit. Djmaster214
speaking of legit im surprised nobody brought up his username of hihater and 4 post count

the second poster mentioned it in a pun.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

Just biding my time, waiting for that HD remake of A Link To The Past.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
To be honest, i think all the 3D Zeldas are rather weak compared to the 2D ones, Link Awakening especially, in fact the only 3D Zelda i actually thought was worth the time was Windwaker.
Avatar image for SkinnyJeans1995
SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SkinnyJeans1995
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts

The real thing that makes it stand is an amazing story. Characters are very fun and it innovated so many ways of gameplay. It is a great game that stands very well with lots of games today. The question I have is what are you trying to relate it to? The 3DS version was also very amazing looking, the world was more well done and it just popped. I do agree it is one of the best games ever made.

TairuSzoola
Amazing story? Now that's hilarious
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Ofcourse it feels dated,what did you expect?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I really hope they port Majora's Mask too.

hihater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hihater
[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Judging a game 15 years later. Saying its overrated and the one he had as a kid is better. Seems legit. Djmaster214

not cool till i have fake dj name and over 2000 posts on gaming forum? k man..
slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 slowpokebro
Member since 2012 • 572 Posts
I played OoT late in my life, I was left underwhelmed. Great game, I just don't think it's the best.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Majoras mask > OOT The rush of having to complete things in time ^^Hoznary
The only thing that prevents me from liking MM more than OoT is the number of dungeons it had. The time also becomes an issue because I find myself consciously helping people each and every time I go through another 3 day set. If I don't, the game would be completed a hell of a lot quicker and I'd also feel bad about letting certain characters have a doomed future. Had they implemented more dungeons, I would have overlooked those issues time created....

And yeah, most newer Zelda's have been improved in nearly every way after OoT. And yet, none of them felt as perfect as OoT did. Each and every Zelda after OoT always had some sort drawback that took away from their experience. MM with limited dungeons and 3 days system (Not that it was a bad thing. Actually liked the idea...), WW with a number of annoying crap that hindered the experience like needing to continuously stop and change direction of the wind or triforce shard hunt, and TP with a decent size list of issues. OoT had issues, but none of them were so nagging that it completely took away from the experience. That's why OoT has stood at the top of my favorite Zelda list for so long...

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Hoznary"]Majoras mask > OOT The rush of having to complete things in time ^^tocool340

The only thing that prevents me from liking MM more than OoT is the number of dungeons it had. The time also becomes an issue because I find myself consciously helping people each and every time I go through another 3 day set. If I don't, the game would be completed a hell of a lot quicker and I'd also feel bad about letting certain characters have a doomed future. Had they implemented more dungeons, I would have overlooked those issues time created....

And yeah, most newer Zelda's have been improved in nearly every way after OoT. And yet, none of them felt as perfect as OoT did. Each and every Zelda after OoT always had some sort drawback that took away from their experience. MM with limited dungeons and 3 days system (Not that it was a bad thing. Actually liked the idea...), WW with a number of annoying crap that hindered the experience like needing to continuously stop and change direction of the wind or triforce shard hunt, and TP with a decent size list of issues. OoT had issues, but none of them were so nagging that it completely took away from the experience. That's why OoT has stood at the top of my favorite Zelda list for so long...

Wind Waker is better than OoT in every single way except for maybe music.

I didn't mind the Triforce quest that much. I liked exploring the massive overworld of WW.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Game is nearly 15 years old. It was a great looking n64 game. You obviously aren't an appreciator of games if you can't even stand playing this beautiful game. I don't know the original star fox ad f-zero games will do to you.
elchiquilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 elchiquilin
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
IMO the graphics are nice enough, also I remember reading somewhere that while better graphics were possible the team chose to stay as close to the source material as possible
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

I already loved the N64 version, but I loved the updated graphics for the 3DS has to offer (although I owned the master quest game for the GameCube). They left the story untouched & the gameplay as well. Although they could of added a new dungeon to explore.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 turtlethetaffer

I already loved the N64 version, but I loved the updated graphics for the 3DS has to offer (although I owned the master quest game for the GameCube). They left the story untouched & the gameplay as well. Although they could of added a new dungeon to explore.

BigBen11111

I would love to see a bonus dungeon in a future Zelda game where you fight Feirce Deity at the end. And he's like super tough, tougher than the final boss of the game. (Although recently final bosses haven't been too bad when compared to other games in the series.) Then you get his mask to use everywhere and rock everything in the game.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
It's not my cup of tea either, but people like it.
videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts

I played OoT late in my life, I was left underwhelmed. Great game, I just don't think it's the best.slowpokebro
Well i'm playing OOT 3d for the first time right now. I'm at the spirit temple and it's a blast.......To be honest no joke, OOT is the best game I've ever played.:?

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

[QUOTE="tocool340"]

[QUOTE="Hoznary"]Majoras mask > OOT The rush of having to complete things in time ^^turtlethetaffer

Wind Waker is better than OoT in every single way except for maybe music.

I didn't mind the Triforce quest that much. I liked exploring the massive overworld of WW.

Despite how fun it felt, sailing through WW world was so damn tedious. The game was EXCELLENT, don't get me wrong. But always needing to change the direction of the wind because I sometimes overshot my destination/treasure, being forced to become Tingles prostitute in order to get Tingle his money to decipher maps, AND perhaps its difficulty (Easiest of the 3D Zelda games to me...) took away from its experience. Otherwise, the game would definitely rank higher than OoT for me...

I already said the newer Zelda games are better than OoT from a technical level. Its the other factors that makes OoT better than the games that come after it...