now the wiis will be hard to find due to oprah

This topic is locked from further discussion.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

Oprah Buys a Wii and now shes going to tell every one on her show go out and buy one.

TMZ's got the gaming scoop of the century. The end of hardcore gaming is nigh. Ms. Product Pusher herself, Oprah Winfrey, bought a Wii at a Wal-Mart in Hawaii recently. How does this equal death to hardcore? Well, you can bet Oprah will soon be extolling the incredible health and family-fun virtues associated with owning a Nintendo Wii after which every housewife desperate to fulfill the next Oprah product prophecy will head to a Gamestop and buy up all the Nintendo they can get their mits on.

In what economists have not ever called The Oprah Effect, that increased demand will trickle down to all corners of society by way of gift-giving aunts and misguided girlfriends who buy up solely Nintendo products forcing Microsoft and Sony completely out of business, leaving Carnival Games 3 the hottest holiday item in 2009.

It is written. Deal.

so do you guys believe in oprah telling us what to do is a good thing for woman who watches hertv show?

Terribaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Terribaby
Member since 2008 • 78 Posts

im a woman and i will never do what any celeb tells fans to do :)

---

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

um link?

no i dont think its a good thing really also im surprised the Big N didnt just send Oprah a Wii when it first came out

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts
its on g4tv.com/thefeed tmz spotted her
ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts
That is complete crap. What you're basically saying is that the fact that oprah has a wii now means that everyone is going to buy a wii and run sony and microsoft out of business. Millions of wiis have already been sold (and have been hard to find for like 2 years) so if people just keep buying them (which happens anyway), then the video game market will be fine (like it already is with like a few million sold.) Plus, there are already millions of gamers out there with 360's and PS3's who will continue to buy corresponding games to their systems. You are completely exaggerating this man.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Hardcore gamers died long ago when they decided that hardcore stopped and started with gallons of blood on screen at once. Oprah will introduce new gamers to gaming. And these aren't like 12 year old boys, they will be girls, women and other adults. When these gamers want something mature, I think the industry will improve vastly over the rut we're stuck in now. Girls, women and adults will probably want mature stories and characters and won't at all be interested in someobody trying to pass off the "Ultimate 14 Year Old Boy Experience" as if thats the end all be all of maturity.

This will have an impact. When Oprah says she started reading a book, that book shoots up to like #1 on Amazon and the New York Times almost instantly and that writer's career is officially launched. And its not like she says, "this is the best book i've ever read" or anything amazing about it. She could hold up a Pepsi bottle for 3 seconds at random and the next day you'd notice that all the sudden women aged 25+ suddenly have fallen in love with Pepsi and have bottles sticking out of their purses and all the sudden, royal blue and red are their favorite colors... the same way they did when Sarah Jessica Parker sported an iPod on Sex and the City.

Arkk_Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arkk_Angel
Member since 2003 • 787 Posts
If gaming companies are making money off the casual players then I say go for it! BUT, I hope their profits fund development for "core" audiences also.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
Isn't it still hard to find Wii's? Idk I haven't looked since I got mine (obviously) but I don't think there will be quite the rush you expect unless she explicitly says "Go by a Wii now my minions of darkness!"
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
.....must...resist....saying......wii is killing hardcore gaming..........sheep...will.....flame me!
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I've never understood why people think that casual and hardcore gaming is an either/or thing. Every single hardcore gamer in existence today probably began as a casual gamer. You don't go from zero to playing thirteen hours a day in one motion. Some people who are picking up a Wii as their first console will never play anything other than Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but others might become curious what else there is, like what they find, and slowly start to become a more dedicated gamer. Casual gamers are important; if nothing is ever created for casual gamers, then video gaming will die in one generation. That's just a fact.

But even so, there will always be hardcore gamers out there. They might cease to be the vast majority, but as long as complex, well-designed games geared towards the hardcore are still selling millions of copies (which they are), games will still be made for those people.

toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Who cares what Oprah buys?
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
Funny, I figured she'd endorse the PS3 since it's the black candidate in the console race.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
some people dont understand the power Oprah has. Why do you think so many companies want to advertise on her show on end up on her Christmas list? People who watch her show (mostly woman) will grab anything she recommends.
TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts

Who cares what Oprah buys?toadster101

Millions of middle-aged women?

Oprah: i bought a wii everyone!

Public: Oh Oprah bought it lets buy it too!

Ninty: ****! up production to 10 mil a month!!11!!

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

Funny, I figured she'd endorse the PS3 since it's the black candidate in the console race.clicketyclick

:| funnies fail

toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 toadster101

[QUOTE="toadster101"]Who cares what Oprah buys?TAKE_IT_BACK

Good point.

...but I don't think there's any middle-aged women here.

TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TAKE_IT_BACK
[QUOTE="TAKE_IT_BACK"]

[QUOTE="toadster101"]Who cares what Oprah buys?toadster101

Good point.

But people outside of game sites actually do buy games.

Plus theres probably a few.

toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 toadster101
[QUOTE="toadster101"][QUOTE="TAKE_IT_BACK"]

[QUOTE="toadster101"]Who cares what Oprah buys?Tjeremiah1988

Good point.

lol, I'm just playing around. :lol:

Nearly everybody on this forum already has a Wii anyway. As long as she doesn't have a Wii Fit special, everything should be fine.

fryerjackets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fryerjackets
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts

Hardcore gamers died long ago when they decided that hardcore stopped and started with gallons of blood on screen at once. Oprah will introduce new gamers to gaming. And these aren't like 12 year old boys, they will be girls, women and other adults. When these gamers want something mature, I think the industry will improve vastly over the rut we're stuck in now. Girls, women and adults will probably want mature stories and characters and won't at all be interested in someobody trying to pass off the "Ultimate 14 Year Old Boy Experience" as if thats the end all be all of maturity.

This will have an impact. When Oprah says she started reading a book, that book shoots up to like #1 on Amazon and the New York Times almost instantly and that writer's career is officially launched. And its not like she says, "this is the best book i've ever read" or anything amazing about it. She could hold up a Pepsi bottle for 3 seconds at random and the next day you'd notice that all the sudden women aged 25+ suddenly have fallen in love with Pepsi and have bottles sticking out of their purses and all the sudden, royal blue and red are their favorite colors... the same way they did when Sarah Jessica Parker sported an iPod on Sex and the City.

Senor_Kami

hardcore gaming isnt about blood dude. if you would actually play a game like halo or fable, or even baldurs gate, you would realize the appeal comes from the satisfaction comes from the feeling of achievment you get when you finish a level or kill a boss.

by the way, cobra commander pales in the awe inspiring might of skeletor.

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

.....must...resist....saying......wii is killing hardcore gaming..........sheep...will.....flame me!Lyphe2k

u cant totaly blame the wii mircosoft is doing its part and so are us consumers

totalmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 totalmachine
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts
I despise that woman.
Masterx1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Masterx1220
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts

this is too funny :lol:

thats all i have to say

Wafa23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wafa23
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts

Who cares what Oprah buys?toadster101

have you seen books oprah reccomends people buy those things like hotcakes

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

Close... only I don't think Nintendo is going to increase production enough to meet demand. Which is a good thing right? Last year how many people by a different gaming system because they couldn't find a Wii?
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lyphe2k
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]

fryerjackets

hardcore gaming isnt about blood dude. if you would actually play a game like halo or fable, or even baldurs gate, you would realize the appeal comes from the satisfaction comes from the feeling of achievment you get when you finish a level or kill a boss.

by the way, cobra commander pales in the awe inspiring might of skeletor.

I find it ironic how the same people that say hardcore gamers generalize casual gamers as being misinformed, end up generilzing hardcore gamers as a bunch of blood thirsty prepubescent boys.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

[QUOTE="toadster101"]Who cares what Oprah buys?Wafa23

have you seen books oprah reccomends people buy those things like hotcakes

It's true. If a book ends up on her booklist it starts selling like mad. Will the same thing happen for the wii:shock:

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lyphe2k

[QUOTE="Lyphe2k"].....must...resist....saying......wii is killing hardcore gaming..........sheep...will.....flame me!webbut

u cant totaly blame the wii mircosoft is doing its part and so are us consumers

Of course not. Video gaming is too big of an industry to blame on just one thing. But Wii is doing more than its part.

Here's the way I see it: It's either going to end up in two ways.

1. The Wii will attract more casual gamers, and in future generations, those gamers are going to get more passionate about gaming, causing more sales and an increase on those hardcore games that we're missing out on now. This will lead to a prosperity in video games.

or....

2. The Wii will prove that as long as you can sell shovelware the right way, the casual audience will eat it up; and set the stage for PS3 and 360 going to same way as the Wii. This will probably lead to the demise of gaming.

TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TAKE_IT_BACK
[QUOTE="TAKE_IT_BACK"]

[QUOTE="toadster101"]Who cares what Oprah buys?raahsnavj

Close... only I don't think Nintendo is going to increase production enough to meet demand. Which is a good thing right? Last year how many people by a different gaming system because they couldn't find a Wii?

Well they increased it already. If that isn't enough, then wow, just wow.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
[QUOTE="raahsnavj"][QUOTE="TAKE_IT_BACK"]

Well they increased it already. If that isn't enough, then wow, just wow.

Yep they are raking in the cash aren't they. Good stuff. It could be more, but I guess they have settled for less.
X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

im a woman and i will never do what any celeb tells fans to do :)

---

Terribaby

Agreed.

elozl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 elozl
Member since 2005 • 633 Posts

yeah this is bad! good thing i preordered mine before it came out lol, i still remember the sad faces of some kids and guys that couldnt get one on the launch date lol

BTW raahsnavj i love your avatar!

AndYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 AndYOU
Member since 2005 • 6712 Posts
I doubt thar it will influence anything
TheMinority16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheMinority16
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts
Similar to the ripple effect. Yea people will buy a wii just because Opera prefers it.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

I've never understood why people think that casual and hardcore gaming is an either/or thing. Every single hardcore gamer in existence today probably began as a casual gamer. You don't go from zero to playing thirteen hours a day in one motion. Some people who are picking up a Wii as their first console will never play anything other than Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but others might become curious what else there is, like what they find, and slowly start to become a more dedicated gamer. Casual gamers are important; if nothing is ever created for casual gamers, then video gaming will die in one generation. That's just a fact.GabuEx

Here's the way I see it: It's either going to end up in two ways.

1. The Wii will attract more casual gamers, and in future generations, those gamers are going to get more passionate about gaming, causing more sales and an increase on those hardcore games that we're missing out on now. This will lead to a prosperity in video games.or....

2. The Wii will prove that as long as you can sell shovelware the right way, the casual audience will eat it up; and set the stage for PS3 and 360 going to same way as the Wii. This will probably lead to the demise of gaming.Lyphe2k

I think the problem is one of definition. Casual gamers are not the same as casual games. As Gabu rightly pointed out, a casual gamer is merely defined by the number of hours they play. I, by definition, am a casual gamer cuz I'm in university most of the year and don't have that much time to play. But just because someone is a casual gamer does not mean they enjoy the so-called "casual games" that are being churned out for them.

The games being made for this insurgency of casual gamers are: simple, lack plot, easy, basic, novelty. Developers are treating casual gamers as if they're idiots and simply wouldn't comprehend something unless it is dumbed down, just because these gamers don't play as much as others. How much you play affects only the time it will take you to complete a game, not the kind of games you enjoy, same with books and movies. You can be a voracious reader and only read trashy page-turners and you can watch movies rarely, but be a connoisseur of foreign cinema.

So I guess the reason why I quoted Lyphe as well is because I'm trying to say that the problem is not with casual gamers - they're not going to be the ones to decide which way it goes. The problem is with developers, including but certainly not limited to Nintendo. Unless they realise that casual gamers will enjoy Okami and Mario if they know about them, and are certainly capable of playing them and not getting their pretty little heads confused, we will keep seeing things go in a bad direction for gaming.

Casual gamers are not the enemy and are not to be feared. Developers who think "casual gamer" is synonymous with "confused retard are.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

um link?

no i dont think its a good thing really also im surprised the Big N didnt just send Oprah a Wii when it first came out

Serraph105
everybody should send oprah something if you want it to sell well :P
semitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 semitar
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
oh well, its not like Nintendo is making real games anymore. Go third Parties!!
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#38 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
Who cares about Oprah and her Wii? I sure don't. Let her and her toolbag fans go out and get their casual games, Nintendo should know that celebrities and their followers aren't their main demographic, their hardcore, established gamer fanbase is.
JurockDaRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JurockDaRock
Member since 2008 • 326 Posts

dang oprah!!!

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points