Nintendo is about to reveal the Wii Motion Plus. 1:1 is coming.

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eMMuRj_N6vntHPDycCJAKWhEO9zBvyPH

Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player's arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo's commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
Why not a headset?! We need that more!
johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts
Games like zelda could really use that
starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
For real? can the nunchuk attach to it? is it compatible with past games?
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

That's awesome :shock:

The day before the E3 keynote? Perhaps they have big plans for it. I really look forward to it.

jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts
This is awesome. The only problem i have with it is the force unleashed probably is too far in to use it.
kingqaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kingqaz
Member since 2005 • 1419 Posts
Looks good, I just hope it's not too expensive.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf52f06a2581
deactivated-5cf52f06a2581

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5cf52f06a2581
Member since 2003 • 237 Posts

Why not a headset?! We need that more!umcommon

We really don't.

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Why not a headset?! We need that more!thecreepingmess

We really don't.

I'd say it's at least a much more complementary feature than this add on which should have been standard in the wii from the beggining.

Falco_648

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Falco_648
Member since 2007 • 1181 Posts

If its not just my eyes. That wii mote has another 2 more nunchuk slots on the sides of it.

Is that just my imagination?

jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jfrancis04
Member since 2006 • 531 Posts

This better not be more than $10. This is really ludicrous...we have to have a new accessory for 1:1 controls? This is something that was promised from the time Wii first released.

Didn't Metroid Prime pull off 1:1 just fine? According to IGN, the new Tiger Woods game is doing it just fine as well.

I'm so sick of all the add-ons/accessories. Nunchuk, classic controller, wrist straps, wiimote sleeves, zapper, mario kart wheel, balance board...will this ever end?!!!

[Thanks to snipe12388 for reminding me of the balance board].

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
That is awesome. Truly awesome.
gojays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gojays
Member since 2005 • 1219 Posts

Holy ****
this is awesome! ive been waiting for 1:1 controls for a longgg time. Hopefully a new zelda will use then ;)

Shyn_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shyn_1
Member since 2003 • 471 Posts
I smell a 1:1 Lightsaber game in the makings.
gojays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gojays

If its not just my eyes. That wii mote has another 2 more nunchuk slots on the sides of it.

Is that just my imagination?

Falco_648

well its really hard to tell from that picture, but im thinking maybe that slot..thing...or whatever it is on the bottom of the attachment could be where the Nunchuk goes

snipe12388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 snipe12388
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts

This better not be more than $10. This is really ludicrous...we have to have a new accessory for 1:1 controls? This is something that was promised from the time Wii first released.

Didn't Metroid Prime pull off 1:1 just fine? According to IGN, the new Tiger Woods game is doing it just fine as well.

I'm so sick of all the add-ons/accessories. Nunchuk, classic controller, wrist straps, wiimote sleeves, zapper, mario kart wheel...will this ever end?!!!

jfrancis04

You forgot balance board as well. This looks ridiculous. I have to get another add-on to get the feel it was supposed to have from the start?

Falco_648

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Falco_648
Member since 2007 • 1181 Posts
Well does this mean new wii mote jackets?(lol wii condoms)
jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jfrancis04
[QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

I'm so sick of all the add-ons/accessories. Nunchuk, classic controller, wrist straps, wiimote sleeves, zapper, mario kart wheel...will this ever end?!!!

snipe12388

You forgot balance board as well. This looks ridiculous. I have to get another add-on to get the feel it was supposed to have from the start?

You're exactly right. How could I forget the balance board?

gojays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gojays
[QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

snipe12388

well this thing doesnt look to expensive....$5-$10 id say. Shouldnt be anything more. But probably will :P

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

snipe12388

The Balance Board?

You were under the impression that you were going to be able to stand on the Wiimote and have it sense your movement?

kingqaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kingqaz
Member since 2005 • 1419 Posts

jfrancis04

I don't remember them ever promising 1:1, can you give me a link?
jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jfrancis04
[QUOTE="snipe12388"][QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

Jaysonguy

The Balance Board?

You were under the impression that you were going to be able to stand on the Wiimote and have it sense your movement?

Umm...no. We are making the point that all of these accessories and add-ons are getting WAY out of hand.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Ha screw that, i would much rather have true 1:1 motion for the next Zelda title, than listen to a bunch of whiny 12 yr olds during a game of Call of Duty.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="snipe12388"][QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

jfrancis04

The Balance Board?

Umm...no. We are making the point that all of these accessories and add-ons are getting WAY out of hand.

Ohhhh I get it

You're somewhere where you're forced to buy them all

Where is that exactly?

GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GoDsSoN770
Member since 2004 • 964 Posts
With as much money as Nintendo has made, this may be a pack-in with an upcoming game. The technology may also come standard with new Wii-remotes.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
[QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

kingqaz

I dont think they can since Nintendo never said that, its actually quite the contray as they often said it wasnt exactly 1:1. I also saw someone mention tiger woods as 1:1, while that is true it is only true because a Golf swing is a static motion, bacially no matter what direction you move once you start you only move in a straight line. and its not like club in any direction you can only perform a golf swing motion.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

Not really. MotionPlus is way more awesome. It shows Nintendo is still seriously commited in developing motion sensoring, that's an actual effort in comparison to the WiiZapper and WiiWheel. Besides, that leads Nintendo one step further from MS and Sony who are coming up with Wiimote clones.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 umcommon

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Why not a headset?! We need that more!Wintry_Flutist

Not really. MotionPlus is way more awesome. It shows Nintendo is still seriously commited in developing motion sensoring, that's an actual effort in comparison to the WiiZapper and WiiWheel. Besides, that leads Nintendo one step further from MS and Sony who are coming up with Wiimote clones.

Instead of an add-on why not just show an updated Wii-mote. I'm not say this is bad, chances are I'll get it if it makes that big of a difference but personally I see this as more add-on milkage. A headset on the other hand would not be milkage since Wii doesn't even have one!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Why not a headset?! We need that more!umcommon

Instead of an add-on why not just show an updated Wii-mote. I'm not say this is bad, chances are I'll get it if it makes that big of a difference but personally I see this as more add-on milkage. A headset on the other hand would not be milkage since Wii doesn't even have one!

I suppose the headset would be great in countries that don't have phones but STILL have electricity

Plus what good is a whole new Wiimote? The add on let's everyone use it without getting a new Wiimote.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

awesome :shock:

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I think there's a possibility that it's going to be a periphical for the older wiimotes. I can see a new generation of wiimote with this upgrade in the wiimote not as a periphical very soon.

Lightsabers or sword games should be more interesting. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but if there's a 1:1 game compatible I'm all to buy the thing.

jfrancis04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jfrancis04
[QUOTE="jfrancis04"]

kingqaz

Iwata's 2005 speech at the Tokyo Game Show...he doesn't come right out and say it so I guess you are technically right. He does how ever indicate this will revolutionize the way we play games. In my mind, revolution isn't *waggle left* *waggle right.* This is something that should have been in the first wiimote. If anything, this just shows how inferior the original wii remote is.

"This controller has a Direct Pointing Device. Revolution can detect precisely which location on the screen the controller is pointing at. With this technology, you can point at a location intuitively, but Revolution can detect your distance from the screen, and the angle of your controller. These controllers are wireless. It is intuitive!" Link is here

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I'm so sick of all the add-ons/accessories. Nunchuk, classic controller, wrist straps, wiimote sleeves, zapper, mario kart wheel, balance board...will this ever end?!!!

[Thanks to snipe12388 for reminding me of the balance board].

jfrancis04

Yeah, but how much of that stuff was free?

Wiimote sleeve, steering wheel, wrist strap -> All free.

****c controller is not needed, the balance board is not needed and neither is the zapper.

The only accessory that is needed for the Wii is the nunchuk, and one already comes in the box.

-----

To the topic. Where the Wiimote does not work is when the pointer is too far off screen. Say for example you're fishing, you lift up the wiimote and pull back and your sensor is pointing behind you.. the wiimote gets erratic.

I'm assuming that this new device manages to keep the wiimote in perfect sync with the sensor bar, functioning similar to the pointer just on the opposite end.

Thereby, this would make true 1:1 for sword fighting and the like.

Metroid Prime 3 had no issues because the pointer was always on screen, and Tiger woods doesn't use the pointer, it uses the gyroscopic tilt functionality which requires no pointer.

But this my own personal speculation. I'm just assuming that having two pointers works better in a 3d space.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Can't wait to see how it uses in games. And what games use it.
CPrince1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CPrince1000
Member since 2007 • 744 Posts
can somebody explain WTF is 1:1 is ? please
mario_brawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mario_brawler
Member since 2008 • 43206 Posts
i wonder if this means Wii Sports 2
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="umcommon"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Why not a headset?! We need that more!Jaysonguy

I suppose the headset would be great in countries that don't have phones but STILL have electricity

Plus what good is a whole new Wiimote? The add on let's everyone use it without getting a new Wiimote.

you can't talk to everyone who you've never met on your 16 person team in MOH which would drastically increase strategy as opposed to walking around like a free for all except not showing hostility to some players.

And I think they should sell this separate for everyone with wiimotes and then sell all the new wiimotes packaged with it. Either adding the price of that thing onto the standard wiimote price or making the thing a free upgrade like the wriststraps and jackets (but I doubt that will happen as this is fancy)

and yeah I'm getting sick of add ons. I'm not buying them because I don't want them but as I understand it some games in the future will require things like the balance board and that makes me mad because I don't want to get that stupid thing.

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

can somebody explain WTF is 1:1 is ? pleaseCPrince1000

It means exact control. Like if I'm playing a sword game and I'm holding the wiimote the character onscreen would hold his sword in the exact same way I was. So if I swing it the character would mimic my moves exactly.

Wii Sports Baseball kinda does this because I can make the bat point wherever I want and its funny because I can make it go through his head.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 umcommon

you can't talk to everyone who you've never met on your 16 person team in MOH which would drastically increase strategy as opposed to walking around like a free for all except not showing hostility to some players.

And I think they should sell this separate for everyone with wiimotes and then sell all the new wiimotes packaged with it. Either adding the price of that thing onto the standard wiimote price or making the thing a free upgrade like the wriststraps and jackets (but I doubt that will happen as this is fancy)

and yeah I'm getting sick of add ons. I'm not buying them because I don't want them but as I understand it some games in the future will require things like the balance board and that makes me mad because I don't want to get that stupid thing.

snowman6251

Exactly what I was about to say.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wintry_Flutist

snowman6251

The Balance Board ain't stupid. Though games made for it can be.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 umcommon
[QUOTE="snowman6251"]

Wintry_Flutist

The Balance Board ain't stupid. Though games made for it can be.

Its not stupid but at the same time why is it a priority over a headset, I mean come on Nintendo this is getting rediculus, all these cheesy add-ons but no headset.

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="umcommon"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Why not a headset?! We need that more!snowman6251

if you dont want the balance board, than why would you be mad. you dont need to get it. if you actually want to play the games coming with it, then you cant expect nintendo to have packaged the balance board with the game and you cant expect to stand on your wiimote. just dont care about it, at as if it didnt come out if you dont want it.

mista-bungle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mista-bungle
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

can somebody explain WTF is 1:1 is ? pleaseCPrince1000

I think its the ratio between your movements and whats on the screen. Meaning that EVERY SLIGHT MOVEMENT that YOU make the GAME will make as well.

its something to be excited about

action1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 action1234
Member since 2006 • 958 Posts
How is this even a good thing? What if you just wanna move your hand? The game will automatically recognize and do whatever in the game? Isn't that annoying? Or am I missing something?
gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts
AWESOME!!!!
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Hmm... I wonder if this is merely a second accelerometer designed to work in tandom with the existing one, or perhaps something more exotic like ultrasonic tracking?

For real? can the nunchuk attach to it? is it compatible with past games?starmetroid

Yeah, it looks like there is a pass-through for the nunchuk.

To the topic. Where the Wiimote does not work is when the pointer is too far off screen. Say for example you're fishing, you lift up the wiimote and pull back and your sensor is pointing behind you.. the wiimote gets erratic.

I'm assuming that this new device manages to keep the wiimote in perfect sync with the sensor bar, functioning similar to the pointer just on the opposite end.

sonic_spark

The sensor bar is literally nothing more than a set of infrared LEDs. You need a camera to track these lights... which is exactly what the pointer sensor on the top of the Wiimote is. The problem is that a camera works on line-of-sight, so there's no way this could constantly track the bar. Also, you would see a little plastic IR cover if it had the pointer, which obviously isn't there in this pic.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wintry_Flutist

Its not stupid but at the same time why is it a priority over a headset, I mean come on Nintendo this is getting rediculus, all these cheesy add-ons but no headset.

umcommon

I can somewhat understand the need for a headset, but we have to set things apart. One thing is the Wii online service, another thing is its controller interface. There's no reason to want more improvement in one aspect than another, so there's no reason to want a headset over the MotionPlus. It could actually be a huge improvement as for the interface.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

So do you guys think High Voltage and/or Lucas Arts is already working with this thing?

Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts
Geez, some of you guys have anger management issues. I, for one, think its cool that Nintendo is trying to improve the Wii. If you got such a problem with it then don't get it. You can continue to play just as you did before. No need to become possessed by demons and go off in a forum.