Nintendo fixing Switch Joy-Con desync issue by adding some foam

This topic is locked from further discussion.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Some Switch users have experienced issues with Joy-Con connectivity, with the left controller being more prominent. The issues have prompted some owners to send units in to Nintendo for a fix.

CNET Australia sent in its left Joy-Con, and received it back about a week later. Before / after shots show that Nintendo apparently just added a black square of foam in the lower-right corner.

The top photo is what the controller was like before. Here’s a look after it was repaired:

CNET speculates that “it’s likely a piece of conductive foam, which is foam that’s been specially treated with nickel, copper or both so it can shield electronics from RF interference.” Also, “this piece of foam is sitting directly on top of the Joy-Con’s antenna traces, too, which suggests that it’s protecting the antenna from interference.” CNET took things further and removed the foam, which brought back connectivity issues. So ultimately, that small addition is improving things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Well, I'd like to hear from someone not this person do this before we start claiming its true. I'm just saying so much shit is fake these days. Hell, I almost think the whole de-sync thing is a hoax.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

@saltslasher: De Sync is not a hoax.

Strangely, it's the right hand side that fucks up for me :(

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Pretty sweet fix right here. Good looking out Nintendo.