Nintendo Charges A Ten Dollar Box Fee For Their Games?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Luigi U is coming out in a few months and people have two options.

Buy the downloadable version for 19.99

Buy the retail version for 29.99

Since this precedent has been made it makes you wonder why Nintendo games are their full retail price in the eShop. Shouldn't all of their games be ten dollars off?

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
Is nothing like that. The retail option is an standalone game. The online version works as DLC for the full Mario game. I believe they clarified this already.
Mugzippit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Mugzippit
Member since 2010 • 62 Posts

Its a bit odd they were offering a stand alone version... I can't really see many people buying the luigi one without having bought the Mario Bros game first. I wonder if anyone that bought the luigi U version first can buy the Mario Bros U version as dlc for a cheaper price!

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
That's how it should be anyway. It baffles me when download versions are the same price or more.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
That's how it should be anyway. It baffles me when download versions are the same price or more.SolidSnake35
eShop downloads are priced the same because the demand. It doesn't matter if it's cheaper to release a digital version, the demand is still high for the product. Many eBooks do this as well, or at the least, offer $5 off. Namco/Bandai did that already with Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]That's how it should be anyway. It baffles me when download versions are the same price or more.Haziqonfire
eShop downloads are priced the same because the demand. It doesn't matter if it's cheaper to release a digital version, the demand is still high for the product. Many eBooks do this as well, or at the least, offer $5 off. Namco/Bandai did that already with Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

its more because of their relationship with places like best buy and gamestop. if they were to under cut them, those stores would go out of business, resulting in fewer sales for nintendo.
sundown19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sundown19
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts

A heavy cost.  I pay it gladly.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

Since this precedent has been made it makes you wonder why Nintendo games are their full retail price in the eShop. Shouldn't all of their games be ten dollars off?

Jaysonguy
Do you ever have anything good to say about Nintendo? I don't even know why you are on these boards.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
the downloadable version requires NSMBU. the retail doesn't. and this is nothing new. look at RDR undead nightmare.
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

darksongbird

Do you ever have anything good to say about Nintendo? I don't even know why you are on these boards.

He never has anything good to say about anything. All he does is rant.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
dont flatter yourselves the retail version is for people like me who are running low on space or dont have nsmbu i downloaded near every game on vc thus far lol
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Stop trolling Jayson. We already saw this with Rockstar games on 360/PS3. You know **** well that $10 difference is to give retailers a cut plus pay for packaging. Infact, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will make a dollar or so less on each retail Luigi U copy than digital.

They sell digital games for the same price as retail because they can. Once again, not something that is unique to Nintendo and you're simply fishing for a controversy. Microsoft, Sony and others have done this a lot before Nintendo. I don't necessarily like it, but I can't blame them for going for more money. The eShop already has better retail game discounts than XBL/PSN did (well, maybe just XBL) so I don't mind all that much when titles like ACIII, Zombi U, etc go 50% off every now and then.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Isn't the one on the Eshop just DLC for NSMBU while the retail one is standalone? Come on Jaysonguy, this was worse than your normal troll attempts...
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

[QUOTE="darksongbird"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

QuebecSuperstar

Believe it or not, he runs a gaming site with other GameSpot users. A site that loads very slowly ATM. He does significantly less "ranting" on his site so it leads me to believe he just trolls GameSpot because he enjoys it. He leaves threads often and cherry picks comments, so I think he is just doing it for the lulz.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="QuebecSuperstar"]

[QUOTE="darksongbird"] Do you ever have anything good to say about Nintendo? I don't even know why you are on these boards.bonesawisready5

Believe it or not, he runs a gaming site with other GameSpot users. A site that loads very slowly ATM. He does significantly less "ranting" on his site so it leads me to believe he just trolls GameSpot because he enjoys it. He leaves threads often and cherry picks comments, so I think he is just doing it for the lulz.

There not much lulz to be had anymore since nobody here takes him seriously anymore.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Its a bit odd they were offering a stand alone version... I can't really see many people buying the luigi one without having bought the Mario Bros game first. I wonder if anyone that bought the luigi U version first can buy the Mario Bros U version as dlc for a cheaper price!

Mugzippit
Well I suppose people could sell NSMBU if they're finished with it and still get Super Luigi U.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
It's better than buying a Digital copy from any of the major console developers.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]That's how it should be anyway. It baffles me when download versions are the same price or more.starwarsjunky

its more because of their relationship with places like best buy and gamestop. if they were to under cut them, those stores would go out of business, resulting in fewer sales for nintendo.

This. It is definitely to maintain current relationships with retailers and not because of demand.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#19 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Jaysonguy

You can't take your downloadable version on the go like you can on a disc

Take it on the go. Bring the disc and have it be read on another wii u belonging to a friend/relative who also owns a wii u. It's about the box and a hard copy on a disc. I think the $10 would be worth it.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#20 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

To me that's how the games should be priced. The downloadable version should be 10 dollars less expensive than the physical one. It's reasonable.

But like others have mentioned, in this case, the price is different because the physical game is a stand-alone title.

Kaizorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kaizorn
Member since 2013 • 29 Posts

To me that's how the games should be priced. The downloadable version should be 10 dollars less expensive than the physical one. It's reasonable.

But like others have mentioned, in this case, the price is different because the physical game is a stand-alone title.

Pierst179
I agree with this 100%
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Toxic-Seahorse

Pierst179
I disagree with the notion that digital games should be $10 cheaper. Sure they don't have to pay to put it on physical media, but they have to pay to keep giant servers running that can handle thousands of downloads at once. That's not cheap.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

[QUOTE="QuebecSuperstar"]

Toxic-Seahorse

There not much lulz to be had anymore since nobody here takes him seriously anymore.

But plenty of other people still get lulz from it. :) Laugh at it instead of getting frustrated by it and it all goes down so much better.

On LuigiU, I wonder if they're going to offer it as a standalone game on the eShop, as well, for those who don't have NSMBU. They didn't say anything about it (I don't think), so I doubt they will, which makes it really weird to offer a standalone retail copy.

Another weird part is that its release date is over a month later than the DLC version. My guess is that Nintendo has another giant hole in their lineup in August, so they need to fill it with something.

The $10 difference is the weirdest part, though. Maybe they feel like $20 at retail is selling it short for what it is or something. They must think that anyone who really wants it but doesn't have NSMBU will be willing to pay the extra money.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

JordanElek

But plenty of other people still get lulz from it. :) Laugh at it instead of getting frustrated by it and it all goes down so much better.

On LuigiU, I wonder if they're going to offer it as a standalone game on the eShop, as well, for those who don't have NSMBU. They didn't say anything about it (I don't think), so I doubt they will, which makes it really weird to offer a standalone retail copy.

Another weird part is that its release date is over a month later than the DLC version. My guess is that Nintendo has another giant hole in their lineup in August, so they need to fill it with something.

The $10 difference is the weirdest part, though. Maybe they feel like $20 at retail is selling it short for what it is or something. They must think that anyone who really wants it but doesn't have NSMBU will be willing to pay the extra money.

the extra $10 is because it's standalone. they aren't making it more expensive at retail, they're making it cheaper if you already own NSMBU.
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Getting the retail version for the green case, possibly limited edition for Year Of Luigi? And if its not ,oh well im using Amazon credit!

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Jaysonguy

As many have mentioned before, differences in pricing here reflects the versions offered.

In all seriousness however, I don't buy downloadable games from Nintendo because they offer me exactly zero value over their retail counterparts.  If they would (gasp) offer me a slight discount, I'd be far more inclined to buy them over the downloadable service. 

Steam does great.  I just don't understand why more companies don't follow their lead.

I totally agree with Jasonguy on this topic as the difference between downloadable games versus retail releases.  Give me a reason to support your online service Nintendo.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

To be fair, the box is pretty damn sweet.

Still not getting the game though. I like to take my time in Mario games and the 100 second timer doesn't appeal to me. I know you don't have forever in NSMBU, but at least it's longer than the Luigi version.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#28 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Look another stupid Jaysonguy thread :/

It's like that with the bulk of games that are online/ retail. for instance, RDR: Undead Nightmare. It's ten bucks if you download it from the online store. If you go to Gamespot, it was thirty bucks for a physical copy of the game.

Physical copies are just more expensive sometimes. Nintendo is far form the only company that does this and it's not even a big deal anyways.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

the extra $10 is because it's standalone. they aren't making it more expensive at retail, they're making it cheaper if you already own NSMBU.BrunoBRS
But why? There's no economic reason for that at all. Sure, the assets are already on the disc if you have NSMBU, but it's not like the extra data itself costs any more to deliver once it's already made.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong or good or bad. I'm just wondering what the real reason for the difference is, if there is one. Nintendo doesn't usually differentiate between retail and digital in terms of price. Maybe they think that the price difference will push a few people who kind of wanted NSMBU over the edge to buy it so that they can both play that and get Luigi U for $10 cheaper. Or like I said before, maybe they think $20 is just too cheap for a standalone game at retail from Nintendo.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

That's how it should be anyway. It baffles me when download versions are the same price or more.SolidSnake35

Keeping a good repore with retailers seems like a good reason to me. If the downloadable versions of retail games are cheaper on the online service then retailers are going to take a hit

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]the extra $10 is because it's standalone. they aren't making it more expensive at retail, they're making it cheaper if you already own NSMBU.JordanElek

But why? There's no economic reason for that at all. Sure, the assets are already on the disc if you have NSMBU, but it's not like the extra data itself costs any more to deliver once it's already made.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong or good or bad. I'm just wondering what the real reason for the difference is, if there is one. Nintendo doesn't usually differentiate between retail and digital in terms of price. Maybe they think that the price difference will push a few people who kind of wanted NSMBU over the edge to buy it so that they can both play that and get Luigi U for $10 cheaper. Or like I said before, maybe they think $20 is just too cheap for a standalone game at retail from Nintendo.

Because the DLC version needs another game (NSMBU) to work and will not function if you don't have New Super Mario Bros. U but the Retail version is a standalone copy and it will work if you don't have NSMBU already.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]the extra $10 is because it's standalone. they aren't making it more expensive at retail, they're making it cheaper if you already own NSMBU.JordanElek

i think it's pretty obvious. it's a gesture to encourage people to buy NSMBU, and reward those that already have. if you take it further, it could be nintendo implying that future major DLC releases will get a similar treatment, which means you'll get to pay less for those if you already have the game.
bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 bdmckinley
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts
dont flatter yourselves the retail version is for people like me who are running low on space or dont have nsmbu i downloaded near every game on vc thus far lolmariokart64fan
or for people like me that really just like to have a physical copy of the game. Nothing wrong with either version. I see it as a win-win any way you look at it.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I will gladly pay ten dollars more to have a physical copy, and thus actual ownership of the game. I hate paid DLC with a passion but releasing it as a standalone retail title is a different story.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Toxic-Seahorse
I will gladly pay ten dollars more to have a physical copy, and thus actual ownership of the game. I hate paid DLC with a passion but releasing it as a standalone retail title is a different story.famicommander
Wait, so you hate paid DLC but will gladly buy an expansion even though it's literally the exact same thing? That doesn't make any sense.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I will gladly pay ten dollars more to have a physical copy, and thus actual ownership of the game. I hate paid DLC with a passion but releasing it as a standalone retail title is a different story.famicommander

Nope, no it's not

That makes completely no sense whatsoever

Were you the one who doesn't understand that you have more rights when it comes to digital content then you do physical or are you simply "DLC is bad unless I buy it in a box because yeah, that totally makes sense!" guy?

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
If you buy it digitally you do not own it. Especially on a Nintendo platform, but really any digital platform. You cannot sell it, you cannot give it away, you cannot lend it, you cannot trade it. The game and your enjoyment of it is subject to an EULA and can be taken away at the whim of the publisher. A standalone expansion is different than paid DLC because: 1. The standalone disc is not dependent upon ownership of NSMBU 2. The standalone disc is not tied to one WiiU/one account It's really not that complicated. I prefer to own the things I pay for, and I prefer not to have things I pay for associated with a piece of hardware or account.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="famicommander"]I will gladly pay ten dollars more to have a physical copy, and thus actual ownership of the game. I hate paid DLC with a passion but releasing it as a standalone retail title is a different story.Jaysonguy

Nope, no it's not

Were you the one who doesn't understand that you have more rights when it comes to digital content then you do physical or are you simply "DLC is bad unless I buy it in a box because yeah, that totally makes sense!" guy?

and so he returns, after 30 posts of proper answers, he ignores them in favor of the random "I LIKE TO SPEND MONEY IF IT COMES WITH A BOX" post.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="famicommander"]I will gladly pay ten dollars more to have a physical copy, and thus actual ownership of the game. I hate paid DLC with a passion but releasing it as a standalone retail title is a different story.Jaysonguy

Nope, no it's not

Oh Jayson! We've already been through this discussion back in February... well partially through it until you decided to stop responding. Anyway I guess this would be a great time to continue. Here's where we left off :)

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

How would I get a copy of the game when PSN shuts down due to the closing of Sony?

Minishdriveby

There'd be a system where people would be able to download the games they own on a storage device.

It's already happened for companies who sell software, their business ended and you could get a copy of your software that you keep yourself.

That's not the question. If I don't already own the game, how would I buy it if the company shuts down?

There are also other problems with this. If the company shuts down and you're allowed to download the data to a storage device say, the PS3/disc Then your games become tied to the system/disc again. Once again defeating the purpose of DD.  If the storage device dies or is stolen, how do you play your game/buy a new copy?

How long if at all is this offer for downloading what you own available for?

And yet another problem has arisen in the past couple of months. Because XBLA/PSN games are nontransferable when you're Xbox360/PS3 die and the servers for XBLA/PSN go then there's no way to get your game back. If it is offered on the PS4/XOne then you would have to re-buy it which once again defeats the purpose of owning something. Again please explain why digital is better? Because you're explanation so far is that digital is better because eventually it becomes a physical copy when the company goes bankrupt.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

There'd be a system where people would be able to download the games they own on a storage device.

It's already happened for companies who sell software, their business ended and you could get a copy of your software that you keep yourself.

Minishdriveby

That's not the question. If I don't already own the game, how would I buy it if the company shuts down?

There are also other problems with this. If the company shuts down and you're allowed to download the data to a storage device say, the PS3/disc Then your games become tied to the system/disc again. Once again defeating the purpose of DD.  If the storage device dies or is stolen, how do you play your game/buy a new copy?

And yet another problem has arisen in the past couple of months. Because XBLA/PSN games are nontransferable when you're Xbox360/PS3 die and the servers for XBLA/PSN go then there's no way to get your game back. If it is offered on the PS4/XOne then you would have to re-buy it which once again defeats the purpose of owning something. Again please explain why digital is better? Because you're explanation so far is that digital is better because eventually it becomes a physical copy when the company goes bankrupt.

when you buy a disc and it no longer works, there is no longer a way to get your game back. if you bought digital, you can just redownload it. and the "offered on ps4/XBone" is a non-point as physical games won't work there either, as neither one has BC. at least with digital, you can re download if something becomes corrupted. and even if that company goes under, you still have that copy that is on your drive, which you can make a back up if you like.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] That's not the question. If I don't already own the game, how would I buy it if the company shuts down?

starwarsjunky

when you buy a disc and it no longer works, there is no longer a way to get your game back. if you bought digital, you can just redownload it. and the "offered on ps4/XBone" is a non-point as physical games won't work there either, as neither one has BC. at least with digital, you can re download if something becomes corrupted. and even if that company goes under, you still have that copy that is on your drive, which you can make a back up if you like.

It's actually not a non-issue. Once XBLA/PSN servers go down for the old consoles you can no longer access you're games when your console dies. You cannot make back up files for XBLA/PSN games and transfer them to a new system without logging into the account that bought them. This isn't GOG where you can make infinite copies of a game that you buy. If you're going to go digital don't do it on a console their extremely restrictive.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

Minishdriveby

It's actually not a non-issue. Once XBLA/PSN servers go down for the old consoles you can no longer access you're games when your console dies. You cannot make back up files for XBLA/PSN games and transfer them to a new system without logging into the account that bought them. This isn't GOG where you can make infinite copies of a game that you buy. If you're going to go digital don't do it on a console their extremely restrictive.

and when the disc goes bad, you lose it. whats your point? at worst, its the same... :? and yes, you can make a copy of a hard drive. its not that tough... besides, there's no reason they'd pull the xbla/psn servers anytime soon. it'll all just stay on the same ones they have now...
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"] when you buy a disc and it no longer works, there is no longer a way to get your game back. if you bought digital, you can just redownload it. and the "offered on ps4/XBone" is a non-point as physical games won't work there either, as neither one has BC. at least with digital, you can re download if something becomes corrupted. and even if that company goes under, you still have that copy that is on your drive, which you can make a back up if you like.starwarsjunky

and when the disc goes bad, you lose it. whats your point? at worst, its the same... :? and yes, you can make a copy of a hard drive. its not that tough... besides, there's no reason they'd pull the xbla/psn servers anytime soon. it'll all just stay on the same ones they have now...

You can make a copy of the harddrive, but if you try to take that copy and put it on a new system without access to the same account then you won't be able to access the PSN/XBLA games.
It's not a matter of pulling servers anytime soon. It's a matter of pulling them at all which will eventually happen because they're not going to keep the servers for the 360/One running at the same time forever. And when that does occur the games are tied to the system you currently have them on and when that system dies you lose everything whether you backed it up or not.

For another example more relevant to this forum.he Look at the Wii-U the digital downloads are even more restrictive. You can't even go to your friends' house and play a game you bought online unless you bring the system with you.

Once again digital distribution works when the company allows you to make back up copies that aren't tied to your account like GOG. Digital Distribution also works when you pirate things, but there is a social taboo about that on gaming forums.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 starwarsjunky
It's a matter of pulling them at all which will eventually happen because they're not going to keep the servers for the 360/One running at the same time forever.
and i'll say it again, discs don't last forever. they go bad quite often. so why do those get a free pass, in comparison?
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Minishdriveby

[quote=""] It's a matter of pulling them at all which will eventually happen because they're not going to keep the servers for the 360/One running at the same time forever.starwarsjunky
and i'll say it again, discs don't last forever. they go bad quite often. so why do those get a free pass, in comparison?

In the specific case of 360/PS3

Worse comes to worse for discs: The disc breaks and servers are shut down. I can buy another copy of the disc and continue to play my game.

Worse comes to worse for Downloadable content: The system breaks and the servers are shut down. I can no longer play my game or buy a new copy on my 360/PS3.

We won't even talk about the Wii-U whose digital distribution is basically physical distribution without the hassel of leaving home.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][quote=""] It's a matter of pulling them at all which will eventually happen because they're not going to keep the servers for the 360/One running at the same time forever.Minishdriveby

Worse comes to worse for discs: The disc breaks and servers are shut down. I can buy another copy of the disc and continue to play my game.

Worse comes to worse for Downloadable content: The system breaks and the servers are shut down. I can no longer play my game or buy a new copy on my 360/PS3.

We won't even talk about the Wii-U whose digital distribution is basically physical distribution without the hassel of leaving home.

either way, you lose your money :? the distribution servers will most likely stay up for a (very) long time. if they do take them down, i foresee them providing another solution. And during that time, a corrupt disc is of no worry. just redownload for free and you're all set. and thats not to mention lost discs or games. i've been using steam for quite awhile and i love it. all your games are in one convenient location. if i had all them physically, i'd need a devoted room JUST to store them.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][quote=""] It's a matter of pulling them at all which will eventually happen because they're not going to keep the servers for the 360/One running at the same time forever.starwarsjunky

either way, you lose your money :? the distribution servers will most likely stay up for a (very) long time. if they do take them down, i foresee them providing another solution. And during that time, a corrupt disc is of no worry. just redownload for free and you're all set. and thats not to mention lost discs or games. i've been using steam for quite awhile and i love it. all your games are in one convenient location. if i had all them physically, i'd need a devoted room JUST to store them.

I'm more accepting of Digital Distribution through Steam, GOG, and "other methods"... consoles are a no go for me because they're closed platforms and the companies tend to be extremely restrictive with their policies. For example, Nintendo whose DD is tied to the system not account means that if the system is loss, I cannot just redownload the game when I get a new system.

In this case buying NSMBU Luigi DLC on a disc instead of through e-Shop is better.

1. If the system breaks you don't have to pay for the content again/send your system to nintendo for them to extract data.
2. It's easier to transport the game to other locations. Carryin a disc in your bag instead of a $300 system in your bag. 

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] In the specific case of 360/PS3

Minishdriveby

I'm more accepting of Digital Distribution through Steam, GOG, and "other methods"... consoles are a no go for me because they're closed platforms and the companies tend to be extremely restrictive with their policies. For example, Nintendo whose DD is tied to the system not account means that if the system is loss, I cannot just redownload the game when I get a new system.

In this case buying NSMBU Luigi DLC on a disc instead of through e-Shop is better.

1. If the system breaks you don't have to pay for the content again/send your system to nintendo for them to extract data.
2. It's easier to transport the game to other locations. Carryin a disc in your bag instead of a $300 system in your bag. 

with nintendo, i'll definitely agree. they use an archaic system that doesn't allow to transfer your games.