Nintendo Achievement System for Retros

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Nintendo needs to do an achievement system for all of their retro games. The NES and SNES era games were tough, especially the NES era, so therefore making the achievements all the sweeter

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
They do not. Achievements are dumb.
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

They do not. Achievements are dumb.MonsieurX

I came here to write just that but you already did so......+1

Seriously, I'm happy not to have any Achievements system on the Wii U and I hope it remains that way.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]They do not. Achievements are dumb.QuebecSuperstar

Seriously, I'm happy not to have any Achievements system on the Wii U and I hope it remains that way.

I came here to laugh at the inevitable post by people who dislike features that take nothing away from games and can be totally ignored if you so choose. So, lol.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="QuebecSuperstar"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]They do not. Achievements are dumb.TxTech1923

I came here to laugh at the inevitable post by people who dislike features that take nothing away from games and can be totally ignored if you so choose. So, lol.

Agree

It's complete idiocy that people don't want achievements.

These people also don't like high scores or competition so...........

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I'm not saying on all games. I'm thinking just for the NES/SNES era games. I think it'll help add to the experience of replaying them on the Wii U. Like how badass are you if you have manged to get to Level 2 on Platoon, or managed to beat Goro on MK.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I am not a achievement freak. But it's not to have for the extra effort. Can make some games last longer or even enjoyable.
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

Agree

Jaysonguy

So.....? So what? Please don't cut your thoroughly insightful analysis there!

And come on! It's COMPLETE IDIOCY that people don't want achievements on a gaming platform? Really?? How old are you?

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

And come on! It's COMPLETE IDIOCY that people don't want achievements on a gaming platform? Really?? How old are you?

QuebecSuperstar

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Agree

QuebecSuperstar

I think its Jasonguy worded it wrong. This is what he should have said: "It's complete idiocy that people are opposed to a feature (and hope its never added) that does not detract from the experience AT ALL and can EASILY be ignored"
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TxTech1923

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Agree

QuebecSuperstar

It's idiocy to want a feature to never be added when it has no negative impact on you at all, and others may enjoy it. While you're asking how old others are, how about you ask yourself where you got the spoiled child mentality from? o.O
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Agree

QuebecSuperstar

Old enough to understand that you're unable to have a rational conversation about this.

So let's see, there's a way to add challenge and replayability to games and make more people interested in them at zero cost.

Not doing that is idiocy.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

It Nintendo was to implement such a system, it would only make sense to start with the larger retail titles first. Regardless of how challenging most retro games are, to add a feature with those games being the focal point isn't very realistic. If the Wii is any indication, the VC games won't be anywhere near as popular as the Wii U's high profile offerings (assuming the system ever picks up and gets any), so it would be a waste to highlight games that only an extreme minority would be active players.

In any case, I wouldn't hold my breath. This should have been one of those things Nintendo had available for the Wii U at launch if they were going to use it, and it's just too difficult to predict what Nintendo is trying to do these days to actually get excited about such a thing.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

No achievements please. Developers should spend their time on improving their games in other areas. Achievements are stupid.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

No achievements please. Developers should spend their time on improving their games in other areas. Achievements are stupid.

Tonindo

lol

You think achievements are hard to make?

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tonindo

[QUOTE="Tonindo"]

Jaysonguy

lol

No, and that's part of the problem. Because it's so easy and cheap to make, achievements have replaced the far superior system of in-game unlockables.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TxTech1923

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Tonindo"]

Tonindo

lol

No, and that's part of the problem. Because it's so easy and cheap to make, achievements have replaced the far superior system of in-game unlockables.

You do realize the two aren't mutually exclusive right..?
Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tonindo

[QUOTE="Tonindo"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

lol

TxTech1923

But why add something that takes more time and work when gamers are perfectly content with developers giving them virtual thumbs up? Hmm.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="Tonindo"]No, and that's part of the problem. Because it's so easy and cheap to make, achievements have replaced the far superior system of in-game unlockables.

Tonindo

But why add something that takes more time and work when gamers are perfectly content with developers giving them virtual thumbs up? Hmm.

OK, please tell me how this is time and work, tell me what you think happens

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TxTech1923

[QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="Tonindo"]No, and that's part of the problem. Because it's so easy and cheap to make, achievements have replaced the far superior system of in-game unlockables.

Tonindo

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't overturn how popular achievements are, nor did you provide anything that says they take away from other developments. Add another to the list of whiners who just don't want anyone to enjoy things if they don't.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I guess the best thing Nintendo could use for Trophy's/Achievements (that I really don't care for but I won't say nay against them) would be Coins for low level achievements/trophies and Stars for High level achievements/trophies.
Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tonindo

[QUOTE="Tonindo"]

[QUOTE="TxTech1923"] You do realize the two aren't mutually exclusive right..?TxTech1923

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't overturn how popular achievements are, nor did you provide anything that says they take away from other developments. Add another to the list of whiners who just don't want anyone to enjoy things if they don't.

It's actually hard to give any real evidence, but the absence of in-game unlockables this generation makes it seem like developers prefer the easier and less expensive route of achievements.

Jasonguy: I'm not sure I follow. What I wrote is fairly self-explanatory.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TxTech1923

[QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="Tonindo"]But why add something that takes more time and work when gamers are perfectly content with developers giving them virtual thumbs up? Hmm.

Tonindo

It's actually hard to give any real evidence, but the absence of in-game unlockables this generation makes it seem like developers prefer the easier and less expensive route of achievements.

Less unlocks has very little if anything to do with achievements, it's because developers found out people will pay for those things as DLC, which is why we see alternate costumes and cheats as one or two dollar DLC purchases instead of unlocks.
Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tonindo

[QUOTE="Tonindo"]

[QUOTE="TxTech1923"] Your anecdotal evidence doesn't overturn how popular achievements are, nor did you provide anything that says they take away from other developments. Add another to the list of whiners who just don't want anyone to enjoy things if they don't.TxTech1923

Less unlocks has very little if anything to do with achievements, it's because developers found out people will pay for those things as DLC, which is why we see alternate costumes and cheats as one or two dollar DLC purchases instead of unlocks.

True, although I do believe that achievements also have had an impact on unlockables.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

True, although I do believe that achievements also have had an impact on unlockables.

Tonindo

Maybe... but look at it this way. In the case of retro titles, which is what the TC is referring to, those games have been developed long ago. Even if what you're saying has some truth to it, it wouldn't hurt those games to have some sort of reward system in place. Plus, there are games that give achievements/trophies for unlocking things, so it's not something that compromises all unlockables, even if does for some (which can't really be proven).

I can understand your point of view, but if you're going to be concerned about something, let it be about developers just getting lazy and not wanting to offer enough value in their games. Effort's going to be an issue, regardless of if achievement/trophies/etc. are part of the equation or not.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tonindo

[QUOTE="Tonindo"]

Madmangamer364

Maybe... but look at it this way. In the case of retro titles, which is what the TC is referring to, those games have been developed long ago. Even if what you're saying has some truth to it, it wouldn't hurt those games to have some sort of reward system in place. Plus, there are games that give achievements/trophies for unlocking things, so it's not something that compromises all unlockables, even if does for some (which can't really be proven).

I can understand your point of view, but if you're going to be concerned about something, let it be about developers just getting lazy and not wanting to offer enough value in their games. Effort's going to be an issue, regardless of if achievement/trophies/etc. are part of the equation or not.

I went a bit off topic before and I apologize for that. I was talking about modern games and not games released in the 80's and 90's. Having achievements in virtual console games would be a bonus for some, though at the same time, it wouldn't add anything of value for me.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Tonindo"]

Tonindo

lol

You should blame DLC for the lack of in-game unlockables these days, not achievements.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]They do not. Achievements are dumb.

Game, set, match. First post wins the thread.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]They do not. Achievements are dumb.famicommander

Except it's full of fail and you're connected to fail because you quoted that

How does that make you feel?

Want to go back and understand that achievements add a level to games at no cost that brings in players and increases overall revenue or are you happy to be a failure?

Choice is yours.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

not unless theres some reward for earning these achievements like hats and clothes to dress up Miis. Imagine your Mii dressed in monster hunter armor

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Don't really care if achievements get implemented. They don't really add anything to my gaming experience, but they don't take anything away either.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]They do not. Achievements are dumb.Jaysonguy

Except it's full of fail and you're connected to fail because you quoted that

How does that make you feel?

Want to go back and understand that achievements add a level to games at no cost that brings in players and increases overall revenue or are you happy to be a failure?

Choice is yours.

Hostile much?

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Agree

QuebecSuperstar

Yes, being happy about not having something optional(!) is indeed complete idiocy.
Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

While there are some examples of good times achievements were done right but alot of the time it HURTS games FACT. (Jasonguy i'm talking to you) A dev says we were going to have a 16 hour campaign but nah just make it 10 hours and add in HARD achievements that will take you those 6 hours to get. Achievments on Wii U get a nay nay from me.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jaysonguy

While there are some examples of good times achievements were done right but alot of the time it HURTS games FACT. (Jasonguy i'm talking to you) A dev says we were going to have a 16 hour campaign but nah just make it 10 hours and add in HARD achievements that will take you those 6 hours to get. Achievments on Wii U get a nay nay from me.

Master_Of_Fools

That never happens, ever.

I know many people at many different studios, achievements and trophies, and even Steam achievements come in at the end of a game. It's not in the planning phase at all.