New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Worth Checking Out?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

So NSMB U finally came to the Switch. I know, I keep saying I'm sick of the Switch becoming a machine of ports, but I feel like this one really makes sense and deserves the port - especially when you consider that the original game sold less than 6 million copies.

Essentially a basic port with the addition of New Luigi U in one package, the game is reportedly light on new content, but does include a new playable character in Toadette.

What I found most interesting is that Toadette turns into "Peachette" whenever she consumes a Crown Mushroom. She plays identically to Peach, with the exception that she makes the game easier by being kicked out of pitfalls she accidentally wanders down, once. (Whether this suggests that Peach is actually a mushroom person like Toad and Toadette is anyone's best guess, however.)

NSMBUD has been out for... I think over 10 days at this point, but I haven't really noticed much talk about it here in the forums. I get that GS's Ninty forums aren't that active, but I'm surprised I don't see some mention of it on the front page.

Some reviews criticize that the game doesn't offer enough for people who've already played the Wii-U games. I realize part of it is most of you might not be interested due to this being familiar recent territory.

Still other mentions suggest the game is far too easy, with Super Luigi U being the game's saving grace in the difficulty department. Of course, this is still thrown off a bit by the inclusion of Nabbit and Toadette, who make the game easier.

As someone who's never played the Wii-U games, I've always kinda been interested in them. I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, and if it's anything like that game gameplay-wise then I think it could be a fun outing on the Switch, especially with the extra content packed in there.

It's a bit disappointing there isn't much that's actually 'new' about the game though. It costs as much as a brand new game, but doesn't offer a lot in the way of new content. If it included some sort of new mode or extra levels, or maybe daily challenges of some kind, that would justify the cost. As it stands I expect waiting on a sale or price-drop.

Curious as to whether anyone else has gotten it, and what their feelings are on the game. While I strongly think Mario Maker deserved a Switch version more than any other Wii-U game, this one seemed up there to me. I'm just wondering if the release is worth it as it stands.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

When i beat it on WiiU, after i reflected on it i felt new super mario bros wii was better.

did rebuy it anyway? yes. because i wanted to play with my parents that are pretty old so they suck at games. when i saw peachette and nabbit i felt it was going to be a good time.

welp, i was wrong. The game forces you to do 3 things at the same time. move the joystick in the direction you want to go, plus you have to hold the run button And jump at the same time. pretty much every jump in the game requires it.
It was a cluster ****. maybe if there were two nabbitts? 2 invincible charcaters it might have gone a little smoother but those precision jumps were just too much.

the graphics? i tried different settings on my tv to get more pop. looked cool but very stale and boring artstyle imo.

didnt feel like playing through it again by myself. so i sold it. i also sold my wiiU copy.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22385 Posts

I might buy it eventually when I see it for a good price, but I've always preferred the 3D Mario games. I kinda wished they ported 3D World instead.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Hard to justify the price but I have it and I love it. I can’t even try to complain about this game. You know what you’re gonna get and they deliver.

Papermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Papermario
Member since 2016 • 245 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

When i beat it on WiiU, after i reflected on it i felt new super mario bros wii was better.

did rebuy it anyway? yes. because i wanted to play with my parents that are pretty old so they suck at games. when i saw peachette and nabbit i felt it was going to be a good time.

welp, i was wrong. The game forces you to do 3 things at the same time. move the joystick in the direction you want to go, plus you have to hold the run button And jump at the same time. pretty much every jump in the game requires it.

It was a cluster ****. maybe if there were two nabbitts? 2 invincible charcaters it might have gone a little smoother but those precision jumps were just too much.

the graphics? i tried different settings on my tv to get more pop. looked cool but very stale and boring artstyle imo.

didnt feel like playing through it again by myself. so i sold it. i also sold my wiiU copy.

^ agreed

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#6 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I enjoy it. But that's only because I didn't play much of the Wii U version. It's very similar to the original Wii game though imo.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I want it but i don't know if it's worth the price and Nintendo doesn't have a great track record of games going down in price till a year after the next gen release. The sales arnt bad though if it's half price I'll get it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@KBFloYd: Well that's disappointing to hear. I never played the Wii one either, or the 3DS one, so all of my memories are from the DS game.

I love the 2D Mario games, and I feel like the New series at least started off pretty great. But maybe it's gone downhill?

@hrt_rulz01: I've never liked the 3D World games. I actually would have to say they are my least-favorite "3D" Mario games, behind the Galaxy games which I was also actually not a major fan of. I feel like I'd like Odyssey, since I liked N64 and Sunshine, but those 3D World games... No thanks lol.

@speeny: @vaidream45: Would you say it's pretty comparable to the DS one, if you've played that?

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vaidream45

@Ovirew: I like this better than the DS version. This is kinda like the big brother to the DS version.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22385 Posts

@Ovirew: Yeah, I prefer the Odyssey/Sunshine/64 type games too, but I just meant that I would've preferred 3D World instead of NSMBU.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@vaidream45: Really? Is the difficulty about the same?

I remember the DS one had like some alternate routes you could unlock and stuff.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#13 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@Ovirew: Haven't played it myself. I don't really plan to either. I will say that I personally think it's a lot easier than the original Wii game. Idk what it is. It's been a few years since I played the Wii title and haven't really had much trouble with this one. Once I get up to World 9 though....ugh. Lol

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vaidream45

@Ovirew: I found the DS version much easier. Plus the Luigi U game has some good challenges in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@vaidream45: Well this is good to hear. I mean, I don't mind if it's kinda easy, but I don't want it to be too easy to the point that it isn't fun.

I am picturing this being a really enjoyable platformer for mostly handheld mode.

At any rate though... I definitely have a lot of other games I wanna buy first. But this will remain an interest.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I might buy it eventually when I see it for a good price, but I've always preferred the 3D Mario games. I kinda wished they ported 3D World instead.

Day one, if they ever release a port of 3D World.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7252 Posts

Only if you missed the Wii U versions.

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#19 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

Played the Wii one for maybe 20 hours after purchasing it for full price. The game just wasn't very engaging and this game looks more of the same. I'm taking a pass on this one unless the price drops to $20, which will likely be never. These games need a massive overhaul in game mechanics, visual style, and general structure before I consider a purchase.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5264 Posts

If you have played the original Wii U version, there is not that much different from the Deluxe version. If you have never played the Wii U version, it is really nice to see a game in the New Super Mario subseries in HD.