my wii won't read gamecube disks?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrunner4home

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mrunner4home
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
wii disks are perfectly fine, no problem. channels on the wii are also fine. the only problem is the gamecube games. any gamecube game i put in. it starts to read them when you first put them in, goes through all the credits, etc, but after a few minutes comes up with the message: "An error has occurred. Turn the power off and refer to the Nintendo Gamecube instruction booklet for further instructions" so i restart the wii and try again. same thing, but less time before the message appears again. restart and try again, doesn't even get to the title screen. again and it gets to the first warning. next time i try to load the disk it won't even start without that message. but if i wait some time and then try playing, the whole cycle starts again. i got the wii used, but the disks worked fine for about two years before now. what do i do? how do i fix this?
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
ive occassionally had this myself, only nintendo can sort this for you because its the wii not the games
Avatar image for pokemondude2012
pokemondude2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pokemondude2012
Member since 2010 • 5938 Posts
that means the game is scratched.usually
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Im assuming something is wrong with your system firmware, and not with the disc drive because only GC games dont work. try updating to the latest version (4.3). Did the user before you do anything....idk...."illegal" with the Wii because some people rly toy around with their Wii :P (I made a funny), and cause issues when u update to a new official firmware.

mrunner4home

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrunner4home
that means the game is scratched.usuallypokemondude2012
that can't be why because it's all gamecube games in general
mrunner4home

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrunner4home

Im assuming something is wrong with your system firmware, and not with the disc drive because only GC games dont work. try updating to the latest version (4.3). Did the user before you do anything....idk...."illegal" with the Wii because some people rly toy around with their Wii :P (I made a funny), and cause issues when u update to a new official firmware.

painguy1
well, i haven't put anything illegal on the wii (i don't even have many things on it). and i tried updating but it said no updates available. that was a few weeks ago. then i didn't use the wii for a while and next time i used it an update was needed. but that didn't fix it, the gamecube still has problems
mrunner4home

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrunner4home
i tried a few methods that worked to a point: i unplugged and plugged in the wii, and i've put the wii on its side. i got longer play time. i got to finish paper mario and the thousand year door =). and i got the game to stay on for an hour or two. or three (i went to the store and left the game on, when i got back it was still on). ... i thought i fixed the problem but then as i was playing the error came up again. i finished my game so it's not as much of an issue to get this fixed but i would still like it to be fixed. i want to get through the glitz pit one more time =/
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 painguy1

i tried a few methods that worked to a point: i unplugged and plugged in the wii, and i've put the wii on its side. i got longer play time. i got to finish paper mario and the thousand year door =). and i got the game to stay on for an hour or two. or three (i went to the store and left the game on, when i got back it was still on). ... i thought i fixed the problem but then as i was playing the error came up again. i finished my game so it's not as much of an issue to get this fixed but i would still like it to be fixed. i want to get through the glitz pit one more time =/mrunner4home
hmmm so ur on 4.3, and u still have the issue...well im 80% sure its a software issue, and not a hardware so maybe the update didnt properly install. Try calling Nintendo. Btw i nver ment u did anything illegal :P just the user before u.

mrunner4home

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrunner4home

[QUOTE="mrunner4home"]i tried a few methods that worked to a point: i unplugged and plugged in the wii, and i've put the wii on its side. i got longer play time. i got to finish paper mario and the thousand year door =). and i got the game to stay on for an hour or two. or three (i went to the store and left the game on, when i got back it was still on). ... i thought i fixed the problem but then as i was playing the error came up again. i finished my game so it's not as much of an issue to get this fixed but i would still like it to be fixed. i want to get through the glitz pit one more time =/painguy1

hmmm so ur on 4.3, and u still have the issue...well im 80% sure its a software issue, and not a hardware so maybe the update didnt properly install. Try calling Nintendo. Btw i nver ment u did anything illegal :P just the user before u.

yeah maybe i should try calling nintendo... will it cost? cause i've read in a lot of places that it'll cost me $40. i don't want to pay that... will nintendo fix it for free? because it's a nintendo product? if not i think i'll probably just leave the wii the way it is, hope it fixes itself. or if not, if i really need to play gamecube, i'll just take my old gamecube down from upstairts, dust it off, and use that
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
[QUOTE="pokemondude2012"]that means the game is scratched.usuallymrunner4home
that can't be why because it's all gamecube games in general

The Wii stopping reading games doesn't mean the games are damaged. It can be the lens or anything else's. I recommend go and give Nintendo a call.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="mrunner4home"]i tried a few methods that worked to a point: i unplugged and plugged in the wii, and i've put the wii on its side. i got longer play time. i got to finish paper mario and the thousand year door =). and i got the game to stay on for an hour or two. or three (i went to the store and left the game on, when i got back it was still on). ... i thought i fixed the problem but then as i was playing the error came up again. i finished my game so it's not as much of an issue to get this fixed but i would still like it to be fixed. i want to get through the glitz pit one more time =/mrunner4home

yeah maybe i should try calling nintendo... will it cost? cause i've read in a lot of places that it'll cost me $40. i don't want to pay that... will nintendo fix it for free? because it's a nintendo product? if not i think i'll probably just leave the wii the way it is, hope it fixes itself. or if not, if i really need to play gamecube, i'll just take my old gamecube down from upstairts, dust it off, and use that

Well the problem is that you have used Wii so you are going to have to pay some sort of fee. It might be $70 at the most, but id do it if i were you because one problem can cause several others.

LCS2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 LCS2008
Member since 2010 • 101 Posts

Just take it to game stop they will fix it or give you a new one and transfer all your data.